How to get sick and tired of Rocky Top [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to get sick and tired of Rocky Top

HerrGlock
10-22-2012, 04:45
Go see a football game in Neyland Stadium.

HOLY COW, they played that song every time a TN player was substituted in the game, I believe. Come to think of it, perhaps they just played it over and over the whole game and it only registered that frequently.

Gitmo should take notes...

oscarthegrouch
10-22-2012, 09:08
I hope it was the Osborn Brothers version!

Go see a football game in Neyland Stadium.

HOLY COW, they played that song every time a TN player was substituted in the game, I believe. Come to think of it, perhaps they just played it over and over the whole game and it only registered that frequently.

alphacat
10-22-2012, 09:18
I hope it was the Osborn Brothers version!

You mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzG97IPg0y8
I love it.:thumbsup:

rhikdavis
10-22-2012, 09:19
Yah, I have a friend that emails the lyrics to me everytime Tenn is playing.

redbaron007
10-22-2012, 09:21
You are right HerrGlock!

Been there several times and it will grate on your nerves!

But being a Bama fan....it wasn't so noisy this past Saturday (I wasn't there but had some friends send me video clips)! :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

PBCounty
10-22-2012, 09:22
Do football fans get tired of things?

HerrGlock
10-22-2012, 09:24
You are right HerrGlock!

Been there several times and it will grate on your nerves!

But being a Bama fan....it wasn't so noisy this past Saturday (I wasn't there but had some friends send me video clips)! :supergrin:

Well it was until somewhere near mid-3d quarter. This was the end of the 3d:

http://ankylosaur.com/webpicsdir/ALvsTN20Oct2012/smallpic100_0357.jpg

TK-421
10-22-2012, 09:25
You'll enjoy it if you're a fan. Every time the Chicago Blackhawks score at home they play a bit of Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis, and I enjoy the song because it brings back good memories of when I got to see them play live at home.

Sporaticus
10-22-2012, 09:30

I still prefer waterboarding.

redbaron007
10-22-2012, 09:32
Well it was until somewhere near mid-3d quarter. This was the end of the 3d:

http://ankylosaur.com/webpicsdir/ALvsTN20Oct2012/smallpic100_0357.jpg

My daughter and son noticed it too. Especially in the 4th quarter...the TV scanned the seats, it showed a waste land.

My wife is a big UT fan...we have had our ups and downs on the 3rd Saturday of October for the last 20+ years. :rofl:

red

benji
10-22-2012, 09:33
Playing Rocky Top is about the only thing we have to get excited about this year (and the last few years). Don't take that away from us. Otherwise we'd just have Fooley in his orange pants to look at and hope that he can accidentally win a game.

redbaron007
10-22-2012, 09:45
Playing Rocky Top is about the only thing we have to get excited about this year (and the last few years). Don't take that away from us. Otherwise we'd just have Fooley in his orange pants to look at and hope that he can accidentally win a game.

Not taking it away...:cool:

Is there much talk of Dooley being replaced next year....or are they giving him another year to clean out the staff and try again?

Chizik at Auburn is in trouble. :wow:

red

HerrGlock
10-22-2012, 09:46
My daughter and son noticed it too. Especially in the 4th quarter...the TV scanned the seats, it showed a waste land.

My wife is a big UT fan...we have had our ups and downs on the 3rd Saturday of October for the last 20+ years. :rofl:

When I lived in NC every year somewhere between March and June there would be two/three weeks where all the pine pollen would collect and fall out of the trees. When it rained the first time after that there was yellow streams and rivers running down the streets for a week.

I thought that's what I was seeing mid-way through the 3d quarter with all the orange flowing to the exits :animlol:

Mom's a UT fan so we don't tend to talk on the 3d Sat in Oct. I'm dragging her to Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl this year, though.

HerrGlock
10-22-2012, 09:49

Y'all need to pick up Bobby Petrino. He might be worth the extra good looking assistant salary. I hear he's available :)

redbaron007
10-22-2012, 09:58
When I lived in NC every year somewhere between March and June there would be two/three weeks where all the pine pollen would collect and fall out of the trees. When it rained the first time after that there was yellow streams and rivers running down the streets for a week.

I thought that's what I was seeing mid-way through the 3d quarter with all the orange flowing to the exits :animlol:

Mom's a UT fan so we don't tend to talk on the 3d Sat in Oct. I'm dragging her to Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl this year, though.

Sounds like my house......there wasn't a lot of convo...however, a couple of my kids liked to irritate Momma....they learned the hard way! :animlol:

I haven't been to the Iron Bowl since 1990...when Gene Stallings broke the 4 year rout of the Tide.

red

benji
10-22-2012, 14:44
Everybody seems to be hoping that Gruden will want to come here. I have my doubts. I remember when Dooley was hired my first reaction was "Who is Derek Dooley?". I don't want to see that type of hire again.

Word around campus is that he'll get fired after the SC game and allowed to finish out the year. I guess they don't want to wait until the end of the year since we should win the rest of our games after SC.

I'm hoping Gruden, maybe Chavis, definitely NOT Petrino.

ColdSteelNail
10-22-2012, 15:11

Is there much talk of Dooley being replaced next year....or are they giving him another year to clean out the staff and try again?

red

Oh Yeah. There's plenty of talk. I expect if the Vols lose big to South Carolina it will happen. My first choice would be Chip Kelley at Oregon.

A lot of big name coaches shy away from Tennessee though because of it's poor in state recruiting base. The whole state produces only a bout 5-6 four star recruits a year. The biggest recruiting area is Memphis and there are 6 SEC schools closer to Memphis than is UT. Now that Missouri is in it is 7.

g29andy
10-22-2012, 15:18
Been to UT game, lots o rock top. Been to Miss St game, lots o cowbell.

Buki192327
10-22-2012, 17:17

I didn't know any other song was allowed to be played in Tennessee. :upeyes: :whistling: :wavey:

69HEMI-R/T
10-22-2012, 17:55
I have a good friend who is an Auburn grad (early '60's) and went to a lot of SEC games over the years and tailgated just about every stadium multiple time over the years.

He said Tennessee fans were the absolute worst fans to visiting team supporters by far. He loved tailgating at LSU games as the crowds were generous with their food and alcohol and usually very nice in the stadium. He did say, however, do not go as a visitor to evening games at LSU! Too much time for the idiots in the crowd to get drunk and rowdy!!

benji
10-22-2012, 18:01
I have a good friend who is an Auburn grad (early '60's) and went to a lot of SEC games over the years and tailgated just about every stadium multiple time over the years.

He said Tennessee fans were the absolute worst fans to visiting team supporters by far. He loved tailgating at LSU games as the crowds were generous with their food and alcohol and usually very nice in the stadium. He did say, however, do not go as a visitor to evening games at LSU! Too much time for the idiots in the crowd to get drunk and rowdy!!

I'm a UT grad. My roommate worked for the campus newspaper and said that LSU was by far the best away game atmosphere. I talked to a few Florida fans at a game one day and they said Knoxville was very tame compared to Tallahassee. I've seen liquor bottles flying through the air into the visitor section of Neyland Stadium. Some people are just idiots.

ldn0125
10-22-2012, 18:02
I am an LSU fan and went to the LSU/UT game in Knoxville last year. Their idea of tailgating is way different but loved the armada. Although we did win the game, we didn't come across rude people. We walked around downtown to eat postgame and then back to the hotel and didn't feel threatened or fearful.

I do agree that listening to Rocky Top worked my nerves as it was played over and over again.

At LSU, you'll get "Tiger Bait"ed as you walk around campus but if you stop and talk to the fans, you will be offered food and alcohol. Tailgating in 2012 has been sparse. There aren't near the number of tents and groups around where we tailgate as there had been for the 10 years prior. Our September game scheduled sucked. Perhaps now that we opened the SEC schedule, things will continue to pick up.

fusegsp
10-22-2012, 18:05
When I hear Rocky Top mentioned I instantly think of those singing, hillbilly, car thief kids in that Kenny Rogers movie Six Pack.

redbaron007
10-22-2012, 20:37
It's been several years since I've been around the tailgating atmosphere; but the SEC schools seem to do it better than any of the others. Some friends went to the MO/Bama game in Columbia.....they came back saying they learned how to play SEC football; but also how to tailgate.

As to which school was the best...of course I lean towards the Tide :supergrin: . Most of the schools were good; I did have one issue at a LSU game; however, it was isolated...but rumors of other stories seem to still pop up. It may just be the Tide/Tigers rivalry.

As a FYI....Most of my tailgating days were the late 70's through the 80's and a couple of the 90s.

red

certifiedfunds
10-22-2012, 20:41
Everybody seems to be hoping that Gruden will want to come here. I have my doubts. I remember when Dooley was hired my first reaction was "Who is Derek Dooley?". I don't want to see that type of hire again.

Word around campus is that he'll get fired after the SC game and allowed to finish out the year. I guess they don't want to wait until the end of the year since we should win the rest of our games after SC.

I'm hoping Gruden, maybe Chavis, definitely NOT Petrino.

Hands off Chavis.

certifiedfunds
10-22-2012, 20:43
He loved tailgating at LSU games as the crowds were generous with their food and alcohol

We like to send you away drunk with a full belly and an L

IceAxe
10-23-2012, 09:15
it's not just "rocky top" ... OU runs "Boomer Sooner" into the ground too and I actually like OU. But yeah, 'rocky top' turns my stomach

BamaTrooper
10-23-2012, 14:28

red

Auburn and Tennessee will swap coaches:tongueout:

BamaTrooper
10-23-2012, 14:29

HerrGlock, are you in Alabama?

BamaTrooper
10-23-2012, 14:32
Been to UT game, lots o rock top. Been to Miss St game, lots o cowbell.

I coulda used a little more cowbell

We Need More Cowbell - YouTube

electric

railfancwb
10-23-2012, 14:43

red

Hummmmm...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SGT278ACR
10-23-2012, 15:01
I'm a Tennessee fan and have been to several games there in Knoxville. I guess Rocky Top grows on you if you're a UT fan. As far as UT fans being the worst to visitors. I don't think I've ever seen it, but there are thousands of people there and I'm sure it does happen to some degree, but I'm sure it happens to some degree anywhere you go. As for Derek Dooley... if he has any shred of a chance of staying, they need to win a few games between now and the end of the season. Especially against Vanderbilt since that's a big in-state rivalry. If they lose that one... he's definitely gone.

HerrGlock
10-23-2012, 16:04
HerrGlock, are you in Alabama?

Used to be. Probably going to retire there.

That's all Brother
10-23-2012, 16:57
Yes, they over do Rocky Top, but at least they have the Body Farm to fall back on. Thank you Dr. Bass.

k9medic
10-23-2012, 17:07
I think that the UT band only knows Rocky Top. :tongueout:

For the record - I'm a UF grad and season ticket holder...

My football hierarchy: UF over FSU, FSU over Miami, and SEC over any other conference.

Having said that, several of the ticket holders around me have been selling their tickets to what seems to be the opposing team's fans. Last week I sat next to 2 SC fans who really enjoyed the game. The previous game, I sat next to two obnoxious LSU fans. During the Kentucky game I had a great conversation with two of their fans and have actually kepy in touch with them.

Oddly, a conversation just came up about how obnoxious Alabama fans are. The funny thing is, I have heard similar said about Gator fans.

redbaron007
10-24-2012, 07:35
Auburn and Tennessee will swap coaches:tongueout:

:animlol: :rofl:

red

BamaTrooper
10-24-2012, 13:16
Oddly, a conversation just came up about how obnoxious Alabama fans are. The funny thing is, I have heard similar said about Gator fans.

When you are on top, or near it, in any program, in any sport, you get a mark put on your back. By association (being a fan, maybe moreso because you are just fan and not a player), you are the ones the others want to beat, hate, have a rivalry with, etc...

When TN was beating UA year after year in the 90s, I hated TN with a passion during football season; it just felt right. 2008-2010 UF was the one to hate. Right now, LSU. Who knows who will be next.

Catcalling and trash talking? Hell, you do that in pick up games, playing cards, and bowling. I don't know the players or fans enough to hate them... Still, I wouldn't drop a scrotum on their forehead even if I did. That's low class and stupid, just like cussing at little kids wearing your opponents jersey or being an uncouth asshat.

Seeing Alabama fans with shirts that read "RMFT" makes me queasy.:upeyes:

benji
10-24-2012, 14:39
http://8thmaxim.com/site/forum/vols-football/5841-tennessee-hires-jon-gruden.html I hope this is true!!

BamaTrooper
10-24-2012, 14:44
http://8thmaxim.com/site/forum/vols-football/5841-tennessee-hires-jon-gruden.html I hope this is true!!

QUOTED FROM ANOTHER LINK-
Maybe Dana IS going to go coach Tennessee and he has checked out already. Maybe he is coaching their game secretly instead of their orange pants wearing gimp coach.
Jon Gruden or Dana Holgerson...gimme Gruden if I was a UT fan.

and from the same link- Maybe... if Holgs goes to Tennessee... We can get Saban...
Want in one hand and crap in another... Go get your own coach!