Put On Your Chains: Election Called For Obama [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Put On Your Chains: Election Called For Obama

aircarver
10-22-2012, 06:10
http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/21/cbs-news-affiliate-calls-2012-presidential-race-for-barack-obama-weeks-ahead-of-election/#ixzz29zidtm00

WIH are they thinking pulling stuff like this ? ...:wow:

JBnTX
10-22-2012, 06:21
They're clearly in denial of reality and need professional help.

We'll see more of this in the next two weeks.
I'm still waiting for that one big "October surprise"?

Gundude
10-22-2012, 09:01
http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/21/cbs-news-affiliate-calls-2012-presidential-race-for-barack-obama-weeks-ahead-of-election/#ixzz29zidtm00

WIH are they thinking pulling stuff like this ? ...:wow:

.It's called testing.

Election results don't get collected and reported by magic. There are computer systems that need to be up and working, and those systems need to be tested beforehand to see if they're ready.

JBnTX
10-22-2012, 09:15
It's called testing.

Election results don't get collected and reported by magic. There are computer systems that need to be up and working, and those systems need to be tested beforehand to see if they're ready.

"a CBS News affiliate in Arizona"*
Why has only one station in one state has done this "test"?

Gundude
10-22-2012, 09:19
Why has only one station in one state has done this "test"?All stations test. Once in a while somebody makes a mistake and the test leaks over into a live broadcast.

series1811
10-22-2012, 09:44
It's called testing.

From the article:
KPHO’s general manager did not return The Daily Caller’s request for comment by time of publication.

So, how did you know what they were doing when they aren't commenting on what they were doing? Psychic Hotline?

Or just blindly coming to the left wing media's defense and thinking later?

aircarver
10-22-2012, 10:10
All stations test. Once in a while somebody makes a mistake and the test leaks over into a live broadcast.

Wow ! ... :wow:

The chaser at the bottom of the screen is such new technology that they have to test it incessantly ! ...:wow:

Nobody knew how to type the traditional "This is a test... Testing 1,2,3 ...." ?? ...:shocked:

Yeah... they were 'testing' all right ..... :upeyes:

Gundude
10-22-2012, 10:14
From the article:

So, how did you know what they were doing when they aren't commenting on what they were doing? Psychic Hotline?

Or just blindly coming to the left wing media's defense and thinking later?I'm offering the most likely reason for what the OP shows. I suppose it could've been a conspiracy to make people think they overslept by two weeks, the election was over, and their guy lost so they shouldn't bother going out and voting in two weeks. :dunno:

Hey, let's not bother discussing anything at all unless we were actually there. Sure, it might hit GT's visitor count and bottom line some, but at least we'd know "the facts". :upeyes:

Gundude
10-22-2012, 10:16
Wow ! ... :wow:

The chaser at the bottom of the screen is such new technology that they have to test it incessantly ! ...:wow:

Nobody knew how to type the traditional "This is a test... Testing 1,2,3 ...." ?? ...:shocked:

Yeah... they were 'testing' all right ..... :upeyes:

.It's not the system that shows the chaser that's being tested. It's the system that grabs the election results and shows them in real time that's being tested. Do you think that happens by magic? Where do those results come from?

Gundude
10-22-2012, 10:20
Since you guys are so quick to mock my possible explanation for such a thing happening, why don't you offer one yourself? What was the purpose of showing these numbers two weeks ahead of time?

aircarver
10-22-2012, 10:21
.... Where do those results come from?

The DNC, mostly ....:upeyes:

Gundude
10-22-2012, 10:38
For those interested in how things work in real life (an admittedly small target audience, but what the heck):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_object

In object-oriented programming, mock objects are simulated objects that mimic the behavior of real objects in controlled ways. A programmer typically creates a mock object to test the behavior of some other object, in much the same way that a car designer uses a crash test dummy to simulate the dynamic behavior of a human in vehicle impacts.

Reasons for use

In a unit test, mock objects can simulate the behavior of complex, real (non-mock) objects and are therefore useful when a real object is impractical or impossible to incorporate into a unit test. If an object has any of the following characteristics, it may be useful to use a mock object in its place:

supplies non-deterministic results (e.g., the current time or the current temperature);
has states that are difficult to create or reproduce (e.g., a network error);
is slow (e.g., a complete database, which would have to be initialized before the test);
does not yet exist or may change behavior;
would have to include information and methods exclusively for testing purposes (and not for its actual task).

jeanderson
10-22-2012, 10:39
This is good. I'm sure thousands of Obama supporters saw this and have decided they don't need to vote after all!

countrygun
10-22-2012, 10:43
Occam's Razor, and a belief in the incompetence of individuals leads me to go with the "Boo-boo" theory. The fact that the numbers were not that realistic, with 17% "other" reenforces this, still I think they need some "education" on testing procedures, which include not using an individuals personal preferences and real names etc. Now some thing like "Foghorn Leghorn 42%, Sylvester the Cat 47% other 11%" is harmless and might be viewed as funny if it "slipped out". Unfortunately it seems that while they think of themselves as "with it" younger people today lack imagination. A side effect you too much time in of electronic devices that create imagination for them so they don't have to use their own.

aircarver
10-22-2012, 10:45
Occam's Razor, and a belief in the incompetence of individuals leads me to go with the "Boo-boo" theory. The fact that the numbers were not that realistic, with 17% "other" reenforces this, still I think they need some "education" on testing procedures, which include not using an individuals personal preferences and real names etc. Now some thing like "Foghorn Leghorn 42%, Sylvester the Cat 47% other 11%" is harmless and might be viewed as funny if it "slipped out". Unfortunately it seems that while they think of themselves as "with it" younger people today lack imagination. A side effect you too much time in of electronic devices that create imagination for them so they don't have to use their own.

This ! ... :thumbsup:

Gundude
10-22-2012, 10:51
Occam's Razor, and a belief in the incompetence of individuals leads me to go with the "Boo-boo" theory. The fact that the numbers were not that realistic, with 17% "other" reenforces this, still I think they need some "education" on testing procedures, which include not using an individuals personal preferences and real names etc. Now some thing like "Foghorn Leghorn 42%, Sylvester the Cat 47% other 11%" is harmless and might be viewed as funny if it "slipped out". Unfortunately it seems that while they think of themselves as "with it" younger people today lack imagination. A side effect you too much time in of electronic devices that create imagination for them so they don't have to use their own.The experience of seeing election results two weeks before the election is enough to convince any sane person that the results aren't real. You don't need fictional names for that. That the results are fictional is self-evident.

Foghorn Leghorn and Sylvester the Cat are probably registered trademarks that could be problematic to use in that situation.

countrygun
10-22-2012, 11:00
The experience of seeing election results two weeks before the election is enough to convince any sane person that the results aren't real. You don't need fictional names for that. That the results are fictional is self-evident.

Foghorn Leghorn and Sylvester the Cat are probably registered trademarks that could be problematic to use in that situation.

No, you do not use real names and anything like potential stats in a simulation. I doubt the chicken and the cat are going to sue over free publicity.

Note the fact that I wa agreeing with your assessment and don't be the tool that nature made you, rise above it.

Gundude
10-22-2012, 11:42
No, you do not use real names and anything like potential stats in a simulation.Of course you do. You make the simulation as realistic as possible. Have you ever done this stuff? The same rules apply as to libel, slander, or breach or privacy: if it can expose you to liability, scrub the names, otherwise just use as much actual data as you can. Politicians' names certainly don't merit replacing.
I doubt the chicken and the cat are going to sue over free publicity.They might. Being placeholders for two repugnant people is harmful to a brand.
Note the fact that I wa agreeing with your assessment and don't be the tool that nature made you, rise above it. The fact that you attributed it to incompetence and lack of creativity, without having any knowledge whatsoever of the craft in question, deserved response.

snerd
10-22-2012, 11:49
Since you guys are so quick to mock my possible explanation.........
We do not "mock" on this forum, thank you very much.

http://kad-esh.org/es/shabbat/stop_mocking_god_es_clip_image006.jpg

series1811
10-22-2012, 15:39
I'm offering the most likely reason for what the OP shows. I suppose it could've been a conspiracy to make people think they overslept by two weeks, the election was over, and their guy lost so they shouldn't bother going out and voting in two weeks. :dunno:

Hey, let's not bother discussing anything at all unless we were actually there. Sure, it might hit GT's visitor count and bottom line some, but at least we'd know "the facts". :upeyes:

This election is going to be for you guys, isn't it? :supergrin:

You just don't have anything.

Gundude
10-22-2012, 15:48
This election is going to be for you guys, isn't it? :supergrin:

You just don't have anything.Check your cut-n-paste repository. That response doesn't make any sense.