My First Skydive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My First Skydive

raven11
10-22-2012, 07:09
to start off this will be a long post

Check in- this is where you buy you can buy your skydive height, date, time, and picture package. I bought mine online. They lead you into a classroom- there you watch a 30min-instruction video then fill out a 9 page wavier , to sum it up it says you wave your right to sue if something happens , also if you somehow sue and win you have to pay the losing partys court fees. From then you have to wait till your flight is up.

Waiting-At Chicagoland Skydive Center they did a good job of having things to do that keep you busy and calm you down. There is a shop, restaurant, bar , pool tables, volley ball games, basketball. You can observe the instructors in the hanger getting ready packing their chutes and instructing/fitting the students for the Accelerated freefall license classes or the tandem jumpers.
Called up- eventually they call your group to the hanger and you can grab a flight suit if you want or just wear the parachute harness the instructors talk to you about how the jump is going to go and what should you do, also if you bought a video package the cameraman talks to you at this point . My experience, this is when the feeling that I was going to jump out of the plane started to sink in. lucky my group was pretty laid back and they calm me down. Compared to a parachute harness on at least the T-38 the civilian harness has thicker pads over the leg and chest straps and two chest straps instead of one. They recommend that you put your stuff in the cubbies that they provide or you can put them in your car. The instructor then walks you out to the Tarmac to await the jump plane where they again check your harness and tighten it up

Takeoff and Pre- Jump – you board the jump plane, mine was a DHC-6 Twin Otter. The engines don’t stop running and you just climb into the plane and go. I was surprised how small the plane was with all of our gear and two benches on the sides to sit there was just enough room that we don’t bump knees. The climb to 14,500 was the longest climb in an airplane in my life I don’t know if it comes across in the video but I’m starting to stutter my words, palm sweating. The instructors start to strap you in and he ask you one last time if you still want to jump and for some reason I still say “lets do it before I change my mind” so he straps you into his harness four hooks two top and two bottom

Freefall - we level off at 14,500 and first to get out is the students for the AFF license. Then it’s the Tandem Jumpers – the flight before me had a woman back out at this point then it made a domino effect and it ended up two-three people backed out and only one tandem jumper jumping. This flight everyone jumped and was excited about it. Had a person in my plane back out I don’t think I could jump. You look outside of the window and think “that is pretty high up, that’s a long fall, nuts I’m jumping out of this plane, wth”
So at this point I realize I’m the last jumper on the plane so me , the camera man , and the instructor starts walking to the back. He asked me to walk with him to the back and I realize I’m not walking he is pushing me towards the back of the plane(and at this point the walk feels incredibly longer than before). The camera man climbs out of the plane and is still hanging on the side. I took one look out and I couldn’t keep my eyes open I just took the jump position and shut my eyes. the instructor counts one, two , three and you jump/fall out. I peaked just a bit to see the plane I was on flying away at a rapid speed (or was that me falling) and my eyes shut again. You only really feel the sensation of falling when your getting up to terminal velocity (120mph?) once you hit that speed it stops feeling like falling and feels like sticking your head out a window in really cold air. That is when my eyes open and I’m staring at a cameraman and he grabs my arm and does some tricks and meanwhile I can’t stop screaming the whole way down I tried but I just couldn’t do it, also he told me I was also kicking. so my 15secs are up and he taps me on the hand to tell me to pull the cute and in the middle of screaming, looking at the ground/ camera man, cold air blasting against me I didn’t hear a word he said so the instructor ended up pulling the ripcord.

Chute and landing - The parachute deployed and it didn’t hurt at all . its also very quiet and peaceful as your drifting back to earth. I got to steer the parachute which was fun. My ears haven’t equalized yet and they are starting to hurt. Also the ground temperature was 71 but it wasn’t that at my altitude. Add to that after the instructor unhooked two of the hooks, for some reason the straps on my leg made my legs hurt, (in his defense he offered to loosen them but I was staring at the ground and figured I could make it). so what started happening was I just felt like I was going to throw up(which is odd because I never get motion sickness), my legs started going numb , my ears were throbbing and weren’t equalizing. So we landed on our butts and I couldn’t stand. I just rolled off on my hands and knees and was trying to rub my ears hoping they would equalize while trying to puke, I never did puke but I ended up on the ground looking up at the sky for awhile till I was able to walk it off with my instructor in tow. (the only part of the video I regret is the landing – that is all of my cool points gone and I’m not getting them back)

Back on the ground-I thanked my instructor and camera man sadly they had to go on another jump so I never could get the chance to buy them a beer. When you buy a skydive there is a free beer included at the bar , somehow that beer is the best beer you ever had in your life its like a “I cheated death and won” beer. My ear pain finally went away and got some fish and chips while they finished up with the pictures and video. You can watch the video with your jump buddies and mine won best landing of the day- not really a award lets just say that one isn’t making it on the CSC youtube page.

Overall- I’m pretty sure if I jumped during summer it would have been warmer , I think I still would have gotten sick. The freefall wasn’t bad at all , to me it was just the parachute down that I felt sick and my ear pain became noticeable. As I said before after I started having leg pain the instructor did offer to loosen the leg straps and I refused, had I known that my legs would have went numb a couple of min later I would have just loosened them then and there. I don’t know if I’m going to jump again but I’m glad I went.

If your in the Chicago area and want a good place to jump I would recommend Chicago Skydive Center. The place is brand new and they are really accommodating to new jumpers. The instructors are top notch when I was on the ground rolling the instructor was right there helped me get back on my feet and checked to make sure I was ok. The food and bar isn’t too bad, maybe it’s the fear of death that makes the food taste better – and lastly – jump in summer
www.perfectlygoodairplane.com (http://www.perfectlygoodairplane.com)

after much deliberation the video(just the landing) is that embarrassing I think I’m just going to keep that one for family and friends to laugh and ridicule
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/raven1121/skydive/IMG_9085.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/raven1121/skydive/IMG_9096.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/raven1121/skydive/IMG_9121.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/raven1121/skydive/IMG_9132.jpg
Lone_Wolfe (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=58972), - if you want to see the video pm me and I’ll send you the link

Glockdude1
10-22-2012, 07:11
Congrats!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 07:34
Great story.

raven11
10-22-2012, 10:59
thanks guys , it was fun looking back on it.

Hurricanes
10-22-2012, 11:50
Good stuff! My brother an a friend have done it, and they said te experience was great.
-Joel

FL Airedale
10-22-2012, 12:02
Congratulations and I admire your nerve.

I would also jump out of a plane but only if it were on fire!

Rabbi
10-22-2012, 12:05
It is awesome isnt it!

Good timing for this thread. A number of years ago I started the process of getting my USPA license. I did ground school and several jumps. Before I finshed I moved away from that DZ and never started again. Just last night I pretty much decided to start up again. It is an amazing hobby.

sns3guppy
10-22-2012, 12:35
Jump again. It's a worthwhile activity. Every jump to come allows you to relive that first jump from a fresh perspective.

itstime
10-22-2012, 12:37
Congrats. It's harder to do than people think.

Takes a lot of nerve for sure.

Dalton Wayne
10-22-2012, 12:43
"sadly they had to go on another jump so I never could get the chance to buy them a bear."

So what kind of bear do you buy a jump master
Brown, black, polar, grizzly
and wtf do they do with these bears
Whats the going rate on a bear:dunno:

raven11
10-22-2012, 13:29
"sadly they had to go on another jump so I never could get the chance to buy them a bear."

So what kind of bear do you buy a jump master
Brown, black, polar, grizzly
and wtf do they do with these bears
Whats the going rate on a bear:dunno:

:rofl::rofl: I knew I left some spelling mistakes in there, I wrote this in the lounge at the skydive center so the story would still be fresh, between the adrenaline that is still left and the beer i'm amazed there isn't more spelling mistakes

i'll fix it for you eagle eye gt'ers

raven11
10-22-2012, 13:46
It is awesome isnt it!

Good timing for this thread. A number of years ago I started the process of getting my USPA license. I did ground school and several jumps. Before I finshed I moved away from that DZ and never started again. Just last night I pretty much decided to start up again. It is an amazing hobby.

when i was talking to the AFF Advance FreeFall students the thing that surprised me was the range of age and occupations people came from. there were college students, housewifes, businessmen, one guy changed oil at the jiffy lube. its like a special group and the comradeship you see when they all jump its like they known each other for years

G36's Rule
10-22-2012, 13:49
Sounds awesome... But I don't think I have enough crazy left to do it.

devildog2067
10-22-2012, 14:14
Reminds me of an old joke...

A young man joined the Army and signed up with the paratroopers. He went though the standard training, completed the practice jumps from higher and higher structures, and finally went to take his first jump from an airplane.

The next day, he phoned his father to tell him the news. "So, did you jump?" the father asked.

"Well, let me tell you what happened. We got up in the plane, and the Sergeant opened up the door and asked for volunteers. About a dozen men got up and just walked out of the 'plane!"

"Is that when you jumped?" asked the father.

"Um, not yet. Then the Sergeant started to grab the other men one at a time and throw them out the door."

"Did you jump then?" asked the father.

"I'm getting to that. Everyone else had jumped, and I was the last man left on the 'plane. I told the Sergeant that I was too scared to jump. He told me to get off the plane or he'd kick my ass."

"So, did you jump?"

"Not then. He tried to push me out of the 'plane, but I grabbed onto the door and refused to go. Finally he called over the Jump Master. The Jump Master is this great big guy, about six-foot five, and 17 stone. He said to me, 'Boy, are you going to jump or not?' I said, 'No, Sir. I'm too scared.' So the Jump Master unzipped his fly and took his ***** out. I swear, it was about ten inches long! He said, 'Boy, either you jump out of that door, or I'm sticking this up your ass.' "

"So, did you jump?" asked the father.

"Well, a little, at first."

Now that I have a bit of money, I'd love to do my AFF sometime. Haven't jumped since dope-on-a-rope at Benning.

raven11
10-22-2012, 15:31

Now that I have a bit of money, I'd love to do my AFF sometime. Haven't jumped since dope-on-a-rope at Benning.

That was a great story :rofl:

Btw if your interested at CSC it cost $2,784.57 for the AFF license

Glockdude1
10-22-2012, 15:35
That was a great story :rofl:

Btw if your interested at CSC it cost $2,784.57 for the AFF license

AFF License??

No, you mean to graduate the AFF program, will cost you about $2800, depending on any re-dives you might have to make. For example, level 5 is tricky because it is a release dive.

It would be the first time both jumpmasters let go of you, to see if you can fall in one column of air. (very important)

:cool:

TK-421
10-22-2012, 15:42
I'd love to go sky diving, and plan on getting certified before I die, just need the money. Jumping out of the plane should be easy, I plan on telling the guy I'm jumping with to bodily shove me out of the plane if I freeze up. But I doubt I'll freeze up. I just wish we could jump from high up, like what Felix did. Four minutes of free fall sounds awesome.

raven11
10-22-2012, 16:03
Jump again. It's a worthwhile activity. Every jump to come allows you to relive that first jump from a fresh perspective.

I think I will one day just not anytime soon. The terror is still fresh. Next time if I can stop screaming and follow some of the preflight training , maybe pull my chute it would be a success.

I am glad I was on a tandem jump, someone had to remeber to pull the ripcord

Lone_Wolfe
10-23-2012, 00:32
Lone_Wolfe (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=58972), - if you want to see the video pm me and Iíll send you the link

PM sent! :wavey:

And way cool post! :thumbsup:

Benello
10-23-2012, 23:18
CSC is a fun place for sure. I dove there in 2007 and it was an amazing experience. My ears hurt too once the canopy opened. Got the video and I still play it from time to time as in cannot believe I did that even to this day. I used to get queasy even if I saw people jumping out of planes on television, and I swore I'd never do it. Never say never!

Detectorist
10-23-2012, 23:40

You went to Benning as a Marine? Cool. The Marines in my class told me that very few of you ever get to do that. I had an odd combination in my class of Marines and Air Force Cadets.

golls17
10-24-2012, 00:07
I jump for the first time this upcoming Monday. It's a bucket list thing and my family, knowing this, all pitched in for my birthday and got me a groupon. I can't wait. I was supposed to go last week but it got rained out. Forecast for Monday is sunny and mid 40s. Cold doesn't bother me much, anyways.

jtmac
10-24-2012, 00:32
Some years back, I had to quit my flight instruction due to budget concerns. So after a while, I started looking at cheaper options to get some air. Paragliding wasn't available in the area and powered parachutes were too expensive for me at the time.

So of course jumping out of a plane was the only option left.

I was perhaps more excited about getting to skydive as I was to fly. The big day came and I listened intently during the classes. Even though it meant less time in the air, I was going solo, as I'm a solitary fellow and I was intent on getting certified ASAP. Just before I went up I was introduced to an absolutely gorgeous girl about my age who was fairly experienced at the pursuit, which is JUST the type of person a single young man needs watching his first attempt at something daredevilish, amIright?

I went up, hopped out, followed instructions, and had the briefest moment enjoying a fall before I was busy managing the chute and hit the ground. I didn't quite nail the landing, as it was far harder than I expected and I wasn't compensating for the odd pull of the chute. I sat there for a moment, intending to reflect on the experience, but the people who ran up explained that I just can't do that (since they would rightfully be concerned that I was hurt).

The cute girl told me that she was surprised that I handled everything properly, since "most people who act that way usually freeze", and my instructor nodded (I'm assuming they meant my lack of expression). When I got back to the group, it was high fives, handshakes, and shared stories all around. I've never seen people so genuinely excited for me as this group of strangers were.

I didn't have the heart to tell them it was boring. I don't get out of it what they get out of it. They were high on the thrill of facing their fears. I just wanted to enjoy being the sky.

I'll get back to it one day. I want it as part of my skillset. I'm far more excited about doing something that will keep me in the air, though.