Question on slide mounted red dots. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on slide mounted red dots.

BamaTrooper
10-22-2012, 09:16
I had a Burris Fast Fire mounted in the rear sight dove tail on my 17c, but found it moved too much for my liking.

My current set up is a Carver mount and a Cmore. I appreciate the weight but it seems that the height difference between my iron sights and the dot are causing me a problem; so much so that I rarely shoot the dot gun in unlimited.

I am contemplating a smaller sight milled into the slide so that it rides lower, basically cowitnessing with my iron sights (or closely cowitnessing). Am I thinking correctly?

SARDG
10-22-2012, 09:43
I had a Burris Fast Fire mounted in the rear sight dove tail on my 17c, but found it moved too much for my liking.

My current set up is a Carver mount and a Cmore. I appreciate the weight but it seems that the height difference between my iron sights and the dot are causing me a problem; so much so that I rarely shoot the dot gun in unlimited.

I am contemplating a smaller sight milled into the slide so that it rides lower, basically cowitnessing with my iron sights (or closely cowitnessing). Am I thinking correctly?
You saw mine last night - wasn't thinking or you could have shot it this weekend. Won't actually cowitness of course, as the dot takes the place of the rear site, and the front sight is removed - but does bring the dot down close to the bore axis.

I really like that (Doctor sight and milled slide) setup on my 34 UNL, but do have a C-More Railway mounted on top of a MKIII that I also do very well with.

If you're not in a hurry, shoot mine in Orlando (uh, assuming you are coming to Orlando.)

S.Kargoh
10-22-2012, 10:57
Some of them rely on suppressor height sights to cowitness
If I understand correctly.
http://i48.tinypic.com/syqg4z.jpg

S.Kargoh
10-22-2012, 11:00
http://i46.tinypic.com/5e7dw0.jpg

PM720
10-22-2012, 13:20
You saw mine last night - wasn't thinking or you could have shot it this weekend. Won't actually cowitness of course, as the dot takes the place of the rear site, and the front sight is removed - but does bring the dot down close to the bore axis.

I really like that (Doctor sight and milled slide) setup on my 34 UNL, but do have a C-More Railway mounted on top of a MKIII that I also do very well with.

If you're not in a hurry, shoot mine in Orlando (uh, assuming you are coming to Orlando.)

So, did it stay on all weekend? :whistling:

Scott

mike g35
10-22-2012, 13:47
Having a moving dot on a slide is going to slow you down. I'd stick with the stable Carver mount and practice finding the dot. However that co-witness sight setup is pretty cool. :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

unclebob
10-22-2012, 16:52
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q281/Unclebob46/100_0859_zpsb14b9979.jpg

No more jams because of the brass catching up under the mount or C-More. Donít have the extra weight on the slide.
Wish you would have said something at the match. You could have tried all kinds of U/L guns

njl
10-22-2012, 18:05
http://i46.tinypic.com/5e7dw0.jpg

That front sight is impressive.

SARDG
10-22-2012, 22:05
So, did it stay on all weekend? :whistling:

Scott
It wasn't falling off... Oh, you mean the dot itself.

I removed the sight and found electrical tape insulating the sight from the slide - which isn't necessary. I cleaned the sticky tape stuff off under the sight and reinstalled it. Checked the sight at a steel practice and brought it to Mobile. No problems since the re-install, including this weekend. Come on back and use it again. :)

PM720
10-23-2012, 13:18
It wasn't falling off... Oh, you mean the dot itself.

I removed the sight and found electrical tape insulating the sight from the slide - which isn't necessary. I cleaned the sticky tape stuff off under the sight and reinstalled it. Checked the sight at a steel practice and brought it to Mobile. No problems since the re-install, including this weekend. Come on back and use it again. :)

Sure, NOW you find the problem!! :faint::rofl::rofl:

Scott

SARDG
10-23-2012, 14:03
Sure, NOW you find the problem!! :faint::rofl::rofl:

Scott
More or less - but it's not like it found a lot of A-Bs on those D-1s. :dunno:

emtjr928
10-23-2012, 15:40

You wern't chewing gum!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PM720
10-23-2012, 17:44

Its all good. It gave me a chance to practice my point shooting! :tongueout::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scott

SARDG
10-23-2012, 18:23
You wern't chewing gum!!!

No kidding. I am back to vigorous gum-chewing while shooting.

Cole125
10-24-2012, 10:29
In my opinion the only way to mount a red dot on a pistol is getting the slide milled, and back up iron sights installed. With that setup you bring the pistol up and look for the front sight as usual and you can pick up the dot right away. Trijicon RMRs are the only way to go as well.

Mark at L&M gun works does great work, send him your slide to mill and you'll has it back in a week. He did a good job on my G19.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm245/jcole_08/IMG_0145.jpg

igorts
07-03-2013, 22:27
mine was done by LWD

Melissa5
07-04-2013, 06:04
Here's mine that Mark at L&M did. I like it, but I still like the Carver mount and CMore better.

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/7306/dscn2772r.jpg

Don At PC
07-04-2013, 08:25
A few years ago Red Dots Milled into the slide were not legal in GSSF. I don't see that in the rules any longer.

Don

njl
07-04-2013, 08:28
A few years ago Red Dots Milled into the slide were not legal in GSSF. I don't see that in the rules any longer.

Don

You sure?...even in unlimited (which is the only place you can use optics)? People have been doing all sorts of slide lightening milling of unlimited guns for as long as I've been involved with GSSF.

Don At PC
07-04-2013, 10:01
This was several years ago. Remember I have been shooting GSSF for over 14 years so it could have been quite awhile ago.

Don

njl
07-04-2013, 10:22
This was several years ago. Remember I have been shooting GSSF for over 14 years so it could have been quite awhile ago.

Don

I've been involved nearly as long. Are you sure you're not confusing milled in red dots with milled in Bomars? I remember the milled in Bomars being forbidden outside of UL...haven't looked recently to see if that's still the case.

Don At PC
07-04-2013, 10:26
Could have been. No big deal I am not going to worry about it.

Don

njl
07-06-2013, 14:40
I was curious, so I just checked the current rules. In divisions requiring a "Stock Glock", sights that require slide modifications are currently (still?) not permitted.

emtjr928
07-06-2013, 16:29
That is correct!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

GLW
07-06-2013, 18:08
I had an STS sight in a rear sight mount on my GSSF UL G-17 for a while. Neat set up but I was having problems with the ejecting brass impacting the front of the lens. I'm not the only one experiencing this as I noticed the same damage on several other shooters guns.

I moved the sight to a Carver mount with an STS top plate and have had great results. It's not a difficult adjustment to make with a little practice. I also like the fact that it moves the sight forward where there is less apparent movement under recoil.