LIttle girl shot, shooter says he thought she was a skunk [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LIttle girl shot, shooter says he thought she was a skunk

Peace Warrior
10-22-2012, 11:00
Yes, he had been drinking... idiot!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-costumed-pa-girl-mistaken-skunk-shot-17529976

M&P15T
10-22-2012, 11:27
The article states the shooter hadn't been drinking, nor has he been charged with anything at this point.

mgs
10-22-2012, 11:45
Unbelievable!

PBCounty
10-22-2012, 12:16
That'll change the tone of a party in a hurry. Aren't enough of these stories out there that people would ****ing think of possibilities like this before dropping a hammer? I know, of course not...hell I see it myself among my own firearm experienced friends when they feel like having show and tell playtime.

Caver 60
10-22-2012, 12:21
Hope and pray the little girl recovers without lasting problems.

But that shooter.

Lets see there was a home halloween party going on with presumably costumed kids all over the place. Then this guy lets go with a shotgun. At the very least, isn't there supposed to be something about identifying your target?

I've shot a lot of skunks during my life and I always knew exactly what I was shooting at.

Patchman
10-22-2012, 12:22
Well, that really stinks.

Skunks, even when up on a hill, is a pest, I guess. Just glad the girl wasn't seriously injured. Could have been a lot worse.

JW1178
10-22-2012, 12:25
WTF!?!?!?!?

Drinking had nothing to do with it besides this idiot being a complete moron. This is what you get when you have the "shoot everything" mentality.

This moron represents about 00.00001% of gun owners and just gave the other 99.9999% of us a lot of problems giving the gun grabbers some real ammo.

PBCounty
10-22-2012, 12:25
How do you ever face your family again after pulling a stunt like that? I'd have to move five states away even if I completely missed the girl.

itstime
10-22-2012, 12:46
That is just plain stupid. "thought" it was a skunk???

janice6
10-22-2012, 13:28
Didn't/couldn't positively identify the target as animal he thought it was. No excuse.

His gun, his responsibility. Charges.

(Sounds like a Minnesota Deer Hunting Season "Sound Shot".......)

Ohio Copper
10-22-2012, 13:32
There should be prison time in store for him.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ragnar
10-22-2012, 14:20

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-costumed-pa-girl-mistaken-skunk-shot-17529976

Where do you get this crap PW? Making up "facts" again?

Ohio Copper
10-22-2012, 14:50

:)

Dragoon44
10-22-2012, 14:55
They must have giant skunks in PA. I can't imagine confusing a child with a skunk.

Gun Shark
10-22-2012, 15:04
Seriously now, how the **** does this happen? I just, I mean the level of stupid this is at, is just wow.

G23Gen4TX
10-22-2012, 15:13
Was she dressed as a skunk or just stinky?

ArtificialGrape
10-22-2012, 16:41
This moron represents about 00.00001% of gun owners and just gave the other 99.9999% of us a lot of problems giving the gun grabbers some real ammo.
Sadly I don't think think this level of stupidity is nearly as rare as 1 in a million.

-ArtificialGrape

Peace Warrior
10-24-2012, 06:17
The article states the shooter hadn't been drinking, nor has he been charged with anything at this point.
Weird... I must have misread it then. I thought the shooter first advised he had been drinking. mea culpa.

Still a bad shoot nonetheless.

Peace Warrior
10-24-2012, 06:19
Still bitter are we? :whistling:

Anyway, pipe down. Then please see my above post.

I guess I am just stuck in thinking that only someone who had been drinking heavily would have made such a mistake.

SC Tiger
10-24-2012, 06:29
Wow - what a maroon. This is one of those cases where, if charges can't be filed, the LEO (or the girl's dad) should at least beat the snot out of the shooter for good measure.

Harper
10-24-2012, 08:05
I noticed in the comments section the usual gun control debate and thought this is an interesting story but the weight of the story isn't really newsworthy. Imagine if the news published a story for each person equivalently injured in a car accident that day every time they published a story on a shooting.

Sveke
10-24-2012, 08:09
Cmon guys!!

I always mistake 50-70 lb. 9 yr olds with 15 lb. small furry animals that walk on all fours.

Striking resemblance, no???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Carrys
10-24-2012, 08:59

The way you're spewing out untruths and non-facts....................I suspect you would make a great journalist.:wavey:

philipk
10-24-2012, 11:52
I noticed in the comments section the usual gun control debate and thought this is an interesting story but the weight of the story isn't really newsworthy. Imagine if the news published a story for each person equivalently injured in a car accident that day every time they published a story on a shooting.

Most accidental/stupid shootings do not make the national news. They usually just make the local news.

What made this national was the unusual circumstances of the shooting.

Though most news people are anti-gun, they are more concerned about selling their newspapers or TV shows. Thus most shootings and car accidents are not reported nationally or on the front page locally.

However, a story about confusing a child for a skunk does sell and has public interest.

Harper
10-24-2012, 12:22
Most accidental/stupid shootings do not make the national news. They usually just make the local news.

What made this national was the unusual circumstances of the shooting.

Though most news people are anti-gun, they are more concerned about selling their newspapers or TV shows. Thus most shootings and car accidents are not reported nationally or on the front page locally.

However, a story about confusing a child for a skunk does sell and has public interest.

I know. I was just thinking about how the disproportionate coverage or emphasis placed on shootings in general gives the public a skewed view of how dangerous guns are. People scream guns are evil when they hear these stories but it doesn't compare to the number of kids that drowned, choked to death, or were killed in a car accident that day that most never heard about.

Ragnar
10-24-2012, 14:39
Still bitter are we? :whistling:

We are not bitter. Only you it seems. :tongueout:

Peace Warrior
10-26-2012, 00:54
The way you're spewing out untruths and non-facts....................I suspect you would make a great journalist.:wavey:
That hurts... gee thanks .

Peace Warrior
10-26-2012, 00:55
We are not bitter. Only you it seems. :tongueout:

Ummm.. yeah... right ragnar. ;) .... :supergrin:

ted1
10-26-2012, 01:39
If that had been my daughter he would never see a day in court or the sun rise ever again.

Peace Warrior
10-26-2012, 07:42
Well, to say the least, there will be no black and white costumes for any kids I'm "babysitting."

ARP
10-26-2012, 08:50
Shooter is her cousin. Shooters mother told him to get the gun and kill the suspected skunk, a 9y/o girl that was lying on the ground with arms and legs curled up playing hide and seek in the dark. Little to no light from a flashlight, they threw sticks and rocks at the girl on the ground, she did not move, others were looking for a better light and POW, the shot was fired by the moron.

He has been charged and is out on $10K bond.