Australian "Red Dawn" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Australian "Red Dawn"

Bren
10-22-2012, 16:13
Just watching an Australian copy of Red Dawn on Netflix. It's pretty decent so far. Figured people here might be interested. They don't make a huge effort to disguise ripping of RD.

Tomorrow, When the War Began: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456941/

lpo
10-22-2012, 16:24
I started watching it a couple weeks ago, but have yet to finish it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Sporaticus
10-22-2012, 16:28
I saw that "Officer and a Movie" show on the Military Channel. The host said the director John Milius, said that movie was not about the Soviet Union, but about our own federal government. That was the first I'd ever heard of that.

fnfalman
10-22-2012, 16:40
Whomever the bad guys were, the movie stopped just when the fun began. The chicks were hot though.

ChuteTheMall
10-22-2012, 16:42
It lost me when the guy held up the AK47 and shouted "Kangarooooos!"

:animlol:

Angry Fist
10-22-2012, 16:44

OK, now I defineitly ain't watching it. :faint:

bikerdog
10-22-2012, 16:46
Ya its not a bad movie. Its based on a series of books. I think there were 4. Would like them to make the rest but I dont think the movie was popular enough for them to make the sequels.

Sporaticus
10-22-2012, 17:19
Is the enemy identified in the Australian version? IOW, who invades Australia?

Rocknropes
10-22-2012, 17:20
I saw it, and liked it. It wasn't bad and it was entertaining.

Tx-SIG229
10-22-2012, 17:20
the acting is a whole lot better :)

frizz
10-22-2012, 17:31
I saw that "Officer and a Movie" show on the Military Channel. The host said the director John Milius, said that movie was not about the Soviet Union, but about our own federal government. That was the first I'd ever heard of that.

You mean Red Dawn? If so, why were there Russians and Cubans? :dunno:

RedTop
10-22-2012, 17:33
The chicks were hot though.

So a thumbs up?

Chuck TX
10-22-2012, 18:50
Whomever the bad guys were, the movie stopped just when the fun began. The chicks were hot though.

fnfalman pretty much summed up the movie.

Is the enemy identified in the Australian version? IOW, who invades Australia?

They were Asian from what I could tell.

It's based on a set of Aussie books. Figure they'll make the rest if it did well enough down under.

devildog2067
10-22-2012, 18:53
The books the film is based on are ~20 years old, if I remember right.

Ruggles
10-22-2012, 19:03
Good movie. Apparently the books were accused of Asian racism (i.e. the great threat "they" present to "white" Australia) when they were published.

devildog2067
10-22-2012, 19:12
Good movie. Apparently the books were accused of Asian racism (i.e. the great threat "they" present to "white" Australia) when they were published.

Australia and New Zealand are the only places I've ever gone where I felt like they treated me poorly because I'm Asian. (Well, Japan too, but the Japanese are just crazy xenophobic against everyone.)

I've experienced racism in a lot of places from a lot of people, but the vast bulk of it was more like "look at the funny slanty-eyed dude" racism than "dirty chink" racism. I know that's not very scientific, but I hope you get the general idea of what I mean.

Switzerland is a pretty racist place, and people would stare sometimes and treat me different quite a lot, but no one ever treated me "poorly." I think it's due to the fact that while Asians are uncommon there, most of the ones that *are* there have money or jobs (scientists/diplomats/executives/whatever).

In Australia, they've had a lot of poor south Asians go there looking for jobs. Asians there are sort of like Mexicans here, and I felt an amount of resentment there I was not at all prepared for.

AK_Stick
10-22-2012, 22:25
OK, now I defineitly ain't watching it. :faint:

Not quite THAT blatant.

I watched it last night, it was ok. I got a good chuckle out of it, story wise, I think its more realistic than RD.

camelotkid
10-22-2012, 22:29
I saw that last week, I really liked it

Fox
10-22-2012, 23:01
Australia has alot of land and not alot of people. If Red China starts building troop ships then they are in trouble.

oldman11
10-22-2012, 23:24
Actually the movie wasn't that bad at all. I just wished it had been about 1/2 hour longer story. It got shut off too quickly.

PersonOfInterest
10-23-2012, 01:35
The book (or some of the books) are read here in Australia by school children (i forget the age but from memory the syllabus is for people aged around 15) its more of a coming of age story, i heard about the movie saw and heard all the promo's for it - bought it on dvd as it was goin pretty cheap - watched it once threw it straight in the bin.

Just didnt do it for me, basically they dropped a bunch of actors from a tampon commercial in some post apocalyptic war zone and tried to make them look tough, i dunno just really didnt do it for me at all - acting seemed hmmm well just too plastic story didnt give enough detail - too many unanswered questions, predicatable characters etc - only thing i did like was the scenery (not just eye candy) i mean the landscape - yeah give it a miss, unless your really desperate for something to watch.

Theres so many great Aussie movies out there (ive mentioned them and even made threads on before to highlight them) this one dosent rate much for me - im more embaressed about it than anything.

And as others have mentioned the whole 'yellow peril' thing is pretty evident which is a shame having alot of people i work with who are of Asian decent (whether that be Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese) but hey thats just my observations. :wavey:
Hey wanna hear of some good Aussie films you may not have seen? Ask me.

frizz
10-23-2012, 04:21
In Australia, they've had a lot of poor south Asians go there looking for jobs. Asians there are sort of like Mexicans here, and I felt an amount of resentment there I was not at all prepared for.

That term (and even Asian by itself), as I understand it is used in Australia, refers to Pakistanis and those more the Mideast, and connotes a Muslim.

I could be wrong, and they may lump a Japanese or a Korean in with Pakistanis.

Bren
10-23-2012, 05:06

Yeah, that's what I thought too. It seemed like the pilot to a TV series, getting you set up for the next episode.

Hauptmann6
10-23-2012, 05:18
That term (and even Asian by itself), as I understand it is used in Australia, refers to Pakistanis and those more the Mideast, and connotes a Muslim.

I've always took it to mean Indonesians, Vietnamese, Thais, Filipinos, and the like. At least around here that's how it's used.

Ruggles
10-23-2012, 05:24
Australia and New Zealand are the only places I've ever gone where I felt like they treated me poorly because I'm Asian. (Well, Japan too, but the Japanese are just crazy xenophobic against everyone.)

I've experienced racism in a lot of places from a lot of people, but the vast bulk of it was more like "look at the funny slanty-eyed dude" racism than "dirty chink" racism. I know that's not very scientific, but I hope you get the general idea of what I mean.

Switzerland is a pretty racist place, and people would stare sometimes and treat me different quite a lot, but no one ever treated me "poorly." I think it's due to the fact that while Asians are uncommon there, most of the ones that *are* there have money or jobs (scientists/diplomats/executives/whatever).

Interesting, I have never heard that about the Swiss. I guess the solitude derived from their geographic location (much like Japan) has lead to that to a degree. I guess the same can be said for Australia. All countries with borders not easily crossed unlike most countries. Certainly not a excuse for their actions but a contributing factor I guess.

I think I read somewhere the "invaders" in the movie were from Indonesia. :dunno:

engineer151515
10-23-2012, 05:51

Some of that centered around the return of Hong Kong to China when the lease expired.

Suddenly, surprising numbers of Asians seemed able to gain entry visas into Australia - a country which (was at the time) very selective about who they let in and how long you could stay. As an American engineer working on the design of "their stuff", I could only stay 6 months before I had to leave the country, if even for 1 day.

There were rumors of graft, bribes and corruption as some wealthier Hong Kong residents fled the Chinese takeover. Left hard feeling that apparently persist to this day.

Bilbo Bagins
10-23-2012, 06:37
Just watching an Australian copy of Red Dawn on Netflix. It's pretty decent so far. Figured people here might be interested. They don't make a huge effort to disguise ripping of RD.

Sweet, I eyeballed the description on netflix, but I didn't think it was going to be any good. I will definately check it out.

tslex
10-23-2012, 07:10
Confused. With guns essentially banned in Australia, how do they do a plausible movie about armed citizen resistance.

racerford
10-23-2012, 08:27

Hey, Kangaroos can be very aggressive. They are are bigger and stronger than wolverines.

Maybe these were Kangaroos hit with Gamma rays. If so a wolverine would have no chance.:whistling:

mhambi
10-23-2012, 08:54

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do.

mfm9
10-23-2012, 14:12
The mention of the AK-47 and the battle cry "Kangaroos!" reminds me of a funny story.

A defense contractor developed a computer-driven video battle simulator, with simulated hostile forces. They were especially proud of the object oriented programming used in developing the project.

When they got a contract with the Australian Ministry of Defence for a simulator, they changed the hostile forces into kangaroos. Easy, with object-oriented programming, just change those objects without having to change other parts of the program.

So, they're demonstrating it to the customer, showing a helicopter flying over a herd of kangaroos, when one up the 'roos pops up and launches a shoulder-fired rocket at the chopper! Get 'em, Skippy!

-Mike

Bren
10-23-2012, 15:48
Confused. With guns essentially banned in Australia, how do they do a plausible movie about armed citizen resistance.

They use a gasoline soaked rag and a highly explosive lawnmower to capture an AK.

It is somewhat lower on the realism scale than Red Dawn - especially when the girl who is afraid of guns and doesn't want to hurt anybody takes out a Chinese army fire team with AK's and body armor, while standing in the open with her eyes closed - maybe it was supposed to have religious significance.

tslex
10-23-2012, 16:04
They use a gasoline soaked rag and a highly explosive lawnmower to capture an AK.

It is somewhat lower on the realism scale than Red Dawn - especially when the girl who is afraid of guns and doesn't want to hurt anybody takes out a Chinese army fire team with AK's and body armor, while standing in the open with her eyes closed - maybe it was supposed to have religious significance.

LOL. Excellent post, Bren.

Ruggles
10-23-2012, 18:26
My son saw the new remake of "Red Dawn" last weekend said it was pretty darn good. I will hit the theater and see it when it comes out :)

BamaTrooper
10-24-2012, 06:29

Maybe it was cause you is a Yankee from Illinois:tongueout:

BuckeyePPC
10-24-2012, 08:15
Last weekend I watched 'American Warships' which was the SyFy movie ripoff of 'Battleship'. This is probably the 3rd SyFy movie copy of a Hollywood movie.

Last night I watched this movie and liked this one. It's better than the SyFy copies. I wish it didn't end where it did because it looked promising.

PersonOfInterest
10-25-2012, 01:38
Dont suppose you could clarify 'essentially banned'? seeing as gun ownership is Australia is at an all time high, granted we cant own semi auto long guns and pump shotguns most other firearms (including Handguns) are legal in this country - at some point in the movie one of the tampon commercial actors did say 'ok - guns whats everybody got?' obviously implying that most of the households each was from would in fact have firearms.
The movie is set in a regional area - youll find most areas like that in Australia have very high gun ownership (usually firearms outnumber people) those people would infact be able to form a resistance.
Is it still the case Americans gun owners cant actually get on wiki or google or at least some gun forums and actually ask some ACTUAL Australians what the laws here consist of?
That used to be the case - i guess i was hoping in vain that lack of people actually asking and looking around would change.

engineer151515
10-25-2012, 05:34
Dont suppose you could clarify 'essentially banned'? seeing as gun ownership is Australia is at an all time high, granted we cant own semi auto long guns and pump shotguns most other firearms (including Handguns) are legal in this country - at some point in the movie one of the tampon commercial actors did say 'ok - guns whats everybody got?' obviously implying that most of the households each was from would in fact have firearms.
The movie is set in a regional area - youll find most areas like that in Australia have very high gun ownership (usually firearms outnumber people) those people would infact be able to form a resistance.
Is it still the case Americans gun owners cant actually get on wiki or google or at least some gun forums and actually ask some ACTUAL Australians what the laws here consist of?
That used to be the case - i guess i was hoping in vain that lack of people actually asking and looking around would change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

An all time high at 5% of the population?
Gun registration.
Permit to Acquire.
Mandatory 28 day waiting period.
A "Genuine Reason" must be provided for even a bolt action. 22 rimfire or break open shotgun.
Bolt action centerfires and muzzle loaders require both a stated "Genuine Reason" and a "Genuine Need".

Perhaps "restricted" would have been a better choice of words.

Fred Hansen
10-25-2012, 06:14
Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

F14Scott
10-25-2012, 07:37

When *I* was in Australia (port calls in Sydney and Perth, early 1997), Americans in naval uniform, and especially aviators, could not buy themselves a drink or a meal. The men all gathered around us like we were heroes. The single guys had ladies lined up two-deep. Walking down the street, I was frequently stopped to have my picture taken with the locals. I have never seen so much love for a visiting ship.

The story we heard, passed down from ready room to ready room for fifty years, is that it all began with the Battle of the Coral Sea, in which American carriers engaged the Japanese fleet, which was expanding south towards Australia and had already captured Port Moresby. As a result of our action, in which we suffered heavy losses, the Japanese fleet was sufficiently crippled to arrest their southern campaign and force their withdrawl from Moresby.

I suspect my experienced love for American aviators and your experienced racism are related.

Bilbo Bagins
10-25-2012, 07:52
I watched most of it last night. I haven't finished it and I might have to force myself to tonight.

It was "different"

Imagine Red Dawn, but instead of Patrick Swazye and Charlie Sheen, you had two female teenagers who are best friends.

Now imagine you took that Female Australian Red Dawn idea and let John Hughes who was the writer/director of "The Breakfast Club" and the writers and special effects guys from the original "A-Team" TV show, and had them make this movie.

All in all it was a decent "made for TV" type movie on the lines of Revolution and Jericho. However if you are looking for gritty realistic action you will be disappointed.

Some things I got from this movie. I'll try not to spoil anything.

1) It the beginning credits, it mentions the film was made with help by the Australian Government. Makes me wonder if there was motive behind the movie, and maybe that is why guns did not take a major role.

2) Petrol / Gasoline in Australia is much more explosive then it is in the USA or elsewhere.

3) The Camping/hiking scenes were neat, but I'm a sucker for that stuff.

4) The main character is pretty, but I so want the girlfriend. Nice cans, and those really pretty light blue eyes. There is also a hot blonde rich girl too. For the ladies the guys are good lookin' too I guess.

5) The religious girl looks 14, how is she hanging with a bunch of 17 year olds.

6) Seeing an Asian teenage boy talk with an Australian accent is weird.

7) The invading military's armor looks very "Shogun-ish" and while the country is never mentioned it obvious that is Communist China and they come to take Australia because of its limited population and vast land and resources.

8) and to touch on #7 the Australia military has decent equipment and some good men, it just the force is real small compared to the size of the country.

All in all they really caught the "modern day" young teenage version of red dawn. They do a lot of stupid things that almost get them killed. Sometimes the girls got chatty when they shouldn't. Some teens want to just hide and wait until the military grownups came, while some wanted to fight. They had zero training and very limited access to firearms they winged it with what they had.

Its a decent watch if you have nothing better to do, and it may be a decent date movie or something for teens and pre-teen because there was no nudity or cursing. They talked about sex but briefly and it did not get into details. Of course there is violence and people die, but the gore and blood is minimal.

tslex
10-25-2012, 08:23

Gun registration.
Permit to Acquire.
A "Genuine Reason" must be provided for even a bolt action. 22 rimfire or break open shotgun.
Bolt action centerfires and muzzle loaders require both a stated "Genuine Reason" and a "Genuine Need".

Thanks Engineer. I was offline when the question was posted. You knocked the answer out of the park.

POI, maybe I should have said "effectively" banned or "subject to draconian restriction." But close enough.

Sorry, but the Australian nanny-state is indefensible, however strong your patriotic reflex might be to defend it. Australia was a nation that showed great promise, that once had a spirit closely aligned to the American ethos of liberty and self-reliance. Now it's not.

Wiki that, mate.

BuckeyePPC
10-25-2012, 08:35
I thought the invading army might be China but the reason given for the invasion was sparse population and natural resources. China has a huge land mass with a lot of resources. Plus a huge labor force. They would have to transport a lot of people in from China to take advantage of the resources in Australia. Still I enjoyed the movie.

Magnus2131
10-25-2012, 10:45
Watched it yesterday. It seemed like it was a pilot for a series.

G29Reload
10-25-2012, 10:57
Theres so many great Aussie movies out there

Mad Max II, The Road Warrior

/thread

:supergrin:

Adjuster
10-25-2012, 11:18
Watched it yesterday. It seemed like it was a pilot for a series.

I watched it last night because of this thread. It is supposed to be part/book 1 movie of a 3 part/book movie mini series. Dang Australian girls are hot, or at least the ones they put in movies. I found it to be significantly different enough from Red Dawn that I didn't find it to be a blatant rip off. I am sure there is a country invasion movie out there for most every country.

/

Pawcatch@aol.co
10-25-2012, 11:27
Thanks Engineer. I was offline when the question was posted. You knocked the answer out of the park.

POI, maybe I should have said "effectively" banned or "subject to draconian restriction." But close enough.

Sorry, but the Australian nanny-state is indefensible, however strong your patriotic reflex might be to defend it. Australia was a nation that showed great promise, that once had a spirit closely aligned to the American ethos of liberty and self-reliance. Now it's not.

Wiki that, mate.

Not trying to defend Aussie gun laws,but this took place in a rural area where there still is a strong hunting tradition.
So that wouldn't be an issue to them.
In the beginning of the film it showed them hunting and camping.Clearly they had firearms.

Adjuster
10-25-2012, 11:31

Hey PersonOfInterest genuinely curious on what your take of the movie is? Australia is a country that usually brings out a fascination in most Americans or at least me anyway. Does the movie accurately portray the lives of the characters, other than the whole invasion issue of course. Does everyone in that given region appear to be wealthy, rural, own land, and smokin hot, everyone ride dirt bikes, can you just take off into the woods and find places like where they were camping, would a bunch of hot Australian girls take off into the woods with a bunch of hot dudes like that? I may want to move! LOL :rofl:

/

Bilbo Bagins
10-25-2012, 11:47
I thought the invading army might be China but the reason given for the invasion was sparse population and natural resources. China has a huge land mass with a lot of resources. Plus a huge labor force. They would have to transport a lot of people in from China to take advantage of the resources in Australia. Still I enjoyed the movie.

The funny thing is Mainland China is very similar to the Continental USA in terms of size. The east coast of China is very furtile and is where most of the big cities are, but go deeper inland and its all Desert and arid mountains. Imagine the USA where west of the Mississippi was much drier. There was no Midwest bread basket, no California Napa valley, or Idaho Potatoes, or Washington state Apples, it was almost "dust bowl dry". Now think of an America like that and add 1 BILLION more people.

China has had issues feeding it own people and put restriction on population growth because of overcrowding.

China has a lot of reasons for wanting to expand. Australia would be kind of a stretch for little gain(the center of Australia is pretty dry too), but maybe it would be part of an overall invasion of the region

http://blogs.forrester.com/f/b/users/JBELISSENT/China_water.JPG

http://maps.aridocean.com/thumbs/China_relief_thumb.jpg

http://maps.aridocean.com/thumbs/USA_relief_style1a_thumb.jpg

fx77
10-25-2012, 12:39
Saw it...not a good as Red Dawn...

mhambi
10-25-2012, 13:45
Saw it...not a good as Red Dawn...

Jennifer Gray and Lea Thompson in overstuffed winter gear Vs. Caitlin Stasey and Phoebe Tonkin in swimsuits?!

Your statement is unconvincing. :supergrin:

PersonOfInterest
10-26-2012, 00:06

Gun registration.
Permit to Acquire.

That Wiki page is old - the 28 day waiting period has been dropped by most states, the numbers of Australians who have since taken up shooting as a sport has risen to more than 5% by now, the genuine reason system is pretty simple to fill out on a form eg. 'Target shooting' covers it usually, and as ive said 'effectively banned' is bad choice of words which is mostly what im pointing out.

PersonOfInterest
10-26-2012, 00:15

Wiki that, mate.
Yeah you should have - and like i said its not just a case of looking up Wiki - you could try asking around at sites that are frequented by Aussie gun owners and actually ask as opposed to cut and paste what Charleton Heston said years ago in a press release, im not defending our ****ty laws here at all - they suck.
The guns we can own here and the others guns that arent actually registered and have been put away are plenty adequate for defense - sorry but i find the term effectively banned ignorant and down right stupid.
That Wiki entrance isnt the be all end all of answers.
Thanks 'mate'.

PersonOfInterest
10-26-2012, 00:26
Hey PersonOfInterest genuinely curious on what your take of the movie is? Australia is a country that usually brings out a fascination in most Americans or at least me anyway. Does the movie accurately portray the lives of the characters, other than the whole invasion issue of course. Does everyone in that given region appear to be wealthy, rural, own land, and smokin hot, everyone ride dirt bikes, can you just take off into the woods and find places like where they were camping, would a bunch of hot Australian girls take off into the woods with a bunch of hot dudes like that? I may want to move! LOL :rofl:

/
Well i think to a point it did show alot of things that would look similar to real life here, except obviously the fact they used early 20 year old actors to portray teenagers, i grew up in a regional area before moving to the city at the age of 20 - big difference between the US and here is once you get away from the cities - you really dont see alot of other people unless you really go looking, Regional areas like that most people do live around farming communities (by farms i mean acerage that consists of 1000's of acers which are commercial ventures) or once you get closer to cities and towns they become smaller and more along the lines of inherited/hobby farms.
As for how good they all look - have to admit, country areas do consist of alot better looking people - that may just be me having an attraction to women of a similar decent to my own - which in the cities are scarce.

engineer151515
10-26-2012, 06:02
That Wiki page is old - the 28 day waiting period has been dropped by most states, the numbers of Australians who have since taken up shooting as a sport has risen to more than 5% by now, the genuine reason system is pretty simple to fill out on a form eg. 'Target shooting' covers it usually, and as ive said 'effectively banned' is bad choice of words which is mostly what im pointing out.

The only problem with unenforced laws on the books, is that gov't can decide it wants to reinforce the priority and enforce them at any time.

Put Alabama on your future visit list.

If one is in the offing, I'll take you to a gun show. With a filled out Federal Form 4473 and a phone call criminal background check, I can purchase a semi-auto AR15 or AK47, 30 round mags and ammo and take it home. No registration is required. No reasoning is asked for the ownership.

Form 4473 looks like this. Buyer fills out Section A and signs.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

In all fairness, some other States and municipalities do require a purchase waiting period on the order of 3 to 14 days, restrictions on magazine capacity, etc. New York, Washington DC and California come to mind as more restrictive in nature of their gun laws.
A casual, probably outdated Wiki reference provided here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_%28by_state%29

BuckeyePPC
10-26-2012, 06:16
The funny thing is Mainland China is very similar to the Continental USA in terms of size. The east coast of China is very furtile and is where most of the big cities are, but go deeper inland and its all Desert and arid mountains. Imagine the USA where west of the Mississippi was much drier. There was no Midwest bread basket, no California Napa valley, or Idaho Potatoes, or Washington state Apples, it was almost "dust bowl dry". Now think of an America like that and add 1 BILLION more people.

China has had issues feeding it own people and put restriction on population growth because of overcrowding.

China has a lot of reasons for wanting to expand. Australia would be kind of a stretch for little gain(the center of Australia is pretty dry too), but maybe it would be part of an overall invasion of the region

http://blogs.forrester.com/f/b/users/JBELISSENT/China_water.JPG

http://maps.aridocean.com/thumbs/China_relief_thumb.jpg

http://maps.aridocean.com/thumbs/USA_relief_style1a_thumb.jpg

Thanks BB. Those are pretty awesome maps. My error is thinking China was up a little higher in the blue region. China would take the coastal areas and push the Aussies into the interior.

Fox
10-26-2012, 06:54
Bolt-action, lever-action sporting rifles and .303 SMLE's can be effective for sniping and for acquiring automatic firearms.

But small arms will have little impact overall. My earlier point about a relatively small population on a large piece of land being close to overpopulated Asian countries pretty much seals their fate if they get invaded.

tslex
10-26-2012, 10:24
Yeah you should have - and like i said its not just a case of looking up Wiki - you could try asking around at sites that are frequented by Aussie gun owners and actually ask as opposed to cut and paste what Charleton Heston said years ago in a press release, im not defending our ****ty laws here at all - they suck.
The guns we can own here and the others guns that arent actually registered and have been put away are plenty adequate for defense - sorry but i find the term effectively banned ignorant and down right stupid.
That Wiki entrance isnt the be all end all of answers.
Thanks 'mate'.

:crying: You put mate in quotes. I'm terribly, terribly hurt.

Does this mean we're not mates, mate? :crying:

PersonOfInterest
10-27-2012, 01:17
The only problem with unenforced laws on the books, is that gov't can decide it wants to reinforce the priority and enforce them at any time.

Put Alabama on your future visit list.

If one is in the offing, I'll take you to a gun show. With a filled out Federal Form 4473 and a phone call criminal background check, I can purchase a semi-auto AR15 or AK47, 30 round mags and ammo and take it home. No registration is required. No reasoning is asked for the ownership.

Form 4473 looks like this. Buyer fills out Section A and signs.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

In all fairness, some other States and municipalities do require a purchase waiting period on the order of 3 to 14 days, restrictions on magazine capacity, etc. New York, Washington DC and California come to mind as more restrictive in nature of their gun laws.
A casual, probably outdated Wiki reference provided here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_%28by_state%29

Yeah ive been to gun shows in the US and plenty of gun shops and ranges, some states really blow me away with how strict the laws are (CA and Mass, IL) being the ones that come mind.
But the first law you pointed out from AL - well thats still a gun law, what really makes me shake my head about some American gun owners is the fact they think there's something wrong with gun owners here because when our laws went down the toilet we werent out in the street shooting up cop cars before they 'booted down our doors and took away our freedoms' - and like i said that wiki page is outdated - things are slowly getting better here and we are finding strength in numbers.

PersonOfInterest
10-27-2012, 01:26
:crying: You put mate in quotes. I'm terribly, terribly hurt.

Does this mean we're not mates, mate? :crying:
Awww we can be friends if you like http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/embarass%20.gif
Sorry your easily 'confused'.
You remind me of alot of the anti gun people that frequent the internet blaming lax gun laws in the US for mass shootings and gun crime - low on facts, beyond ignorant - and a few other things i just couldnt be bothered saying.
You have a real nice day.

tslex
10-27-2012, 12:25
Yeah ive been to gun shows in the US and plenty of gun shops and ranges, some states really blow me away with how strict the laws are (CA and Mass, IL) being the ones that come mind.
But the first law you pointed out from AL - well thats still a gun law, what really makes me shake my head about some American gun owners is the fact they think there's something wrong with gun owners here because when our laws went down the toilet we werent out in the street shooting up cop cars before they 'booted down our doors and took away our freedoms' - and like i said that wiki page is outdated - things are slowly getting better here and we are finding strength in numbers.

Because that is a strategy that gun rights supporters here widely advocated.

Oh. . . Wait. . . No it wasn't.

Say POI, Australian English has such interesting colloquialisms -- swagman, billabong, no worries, dunny, plonk, too right -- do you have a a clever and endearing name for a straw man?

It's alright though, not your fault. Having pissed away many of your basic liberties, I understand that you've got to overcome a mix of amnesia and cognitive dissonance just to conjure up what they might have looked like. Whacker.

WarCry
10-27-2012, 13:21

As you're point out the flawed thinking toward Australia's gun-laws, I would like to step up and do the same for IL. I can't speak to CA or MA, though.

IL's gun laws are NOT bad. There's a whole "forest for the trees" thing that centers on right to carry. Yes, it's true that we are the last state with no legal method of carry. It's absolute crap, but we ARE working on it.

Setting that one point aside, though, our limitations aren't that extreme. We have a FOID card. All that is is a state method of running a background check without needing the resources to do for every purchase. It's a 10-year issue, and costs $10. It's not a flawless system, but it IS a functional system that helps reduce people with mental history, orders of protection, etc, who are purchasing firearms. It's not flawless, as I said, but it works.

We have 24 hour waits for long-guns, 72 hours for hand guns. Could be better, could be far, FAR worse (I've heard of people waiting a LONG time in CA!). And it actually functions on calendar-days, not hours. If I go buy a rifle right now, I can go pick it up at 8am tomorrow, because it's the next day.

You never have to register your guns here. You don't have to ask a county sheriff for a "purchase permit" or anything like that. You don't have to give any reason why you want a gun.

And back to that one big issue, the carry of firearms: If you're in an unincorporated rural area, you can pretty much carry whatever you want, where you want, as long as you're legal to be doing so.

Just like all the false information about Australia, don't believe everything you hear or read about IL, either.

Okay, that's out of the way. I've been wanting to see this movie for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I'll make a marathon of this and the original Red Dawn, then go see the new Red Dawn.

PersonOfInterest
10-29-2012, 01:59
Because that is a strategy that gun rights supporters here widely advocated.

Oh. . . Wait. . . No it wasn't.

Say POI, Australian English has such interesting colloquialisms -- swagman, billabong, no worries, dunny, plonk, too right -- do you have a a clever and endearing name for a straw man?

It's alright though, not your fault. Having pissed away many of your basic liberties, I understand that you've got to overcome a mix of amnesia and cognitive dissonance just to conjure up what they might have looked like. Whacker.

hmmm only word that i can think of off the top of my head for 'straw man' is - oh how about you look in the mirror - whatever name you have for yourself - then youll have what id call a straw man.
By the way i have been told by members on here that gun owners in Australia should have 'shot police' who were trying to take there guns (in reality - yeah a word that may confuse you) it didnt actually happen where police raided homes - there was a buy back (a large percentage of banned firearms werent even handed in) so you simply have no idea on whats happened here.
So quit while your ahead - or behind actually.

tslex
10-29-2012, 12:39
. . . only word that i can think of off the top of my head for 'straw man' is - oh how about you look in the mirror - whatever name you have for yourself - then youll have what id call a straw man. . . . .

To quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

You see, sadly for fellows like you, words actually do mean things, just as the term "straw man" as applied here actually means something. Thus, it's not really susceptible to your "I know you are but what am I" retort -- clever though that was. (Fair dinkum comeback, mate.)

Let me help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

(Note that your cousins the Brits do have a nifty slang for the same thing.)

Reading your posts, though, I realize that gun rights and other liberties must necessarily be awfully low on the list down there, as Australia evidently has simply abandoned any effort to teach you fellows how to read and write English. (And not in the "Two people separated by a common language" sense that GB Shaw might have meant it. More in the functionally illiterate, cannot write a coherent sentence sense.)

MC
10-29-2012, 19:13

Wiki that, mate.

Tslex,

What America are you living in? You talk about the 'indefensible Australian nanny state'. Yet present day America in no way reflects 'the American ethos of liberty and self-reliance' that you talk so glibly about.

You have a President that is selling your people out and is well along the way to creating a nanny state that makes Australia's pale into insignificance.

Whether you like it or not you're circling the drain and if If Romney doesn't win next month the America that you remember may well be gone forever.

William Ewart Fairbairn once spoke of 'the supercilious arrogance of utter ignorance.' You've displayed that in spades all through this post. If you want to play the Ugly American, why not go back to your basement and do it there.

This was a cordial post about an unremarkable movie until you opened your mouth and said 'Hey look at me, look at me, I exist. I know how to use juvenile ad-hominem attacks'.

Frankly, no one cares.

PersonOfInterest
10-30-2012, 05:34
To quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

You see, sadly for fellows like you, words actually do mean things, just as the term "straw man" as applied here actually means something. Thus, it's not really susceptible to your "I know you are but what am I" retort -- clever though that was. (Fair dinkum comeback, mate.)

Let me help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

(Note that your cousins the Brits do have a nifty slang for the same thing.)

Reading your posts, though, I realize that gun rights and other liberties must necessarily be awfully low on the list down there, as Australia evidently has simply abandoned any effort to teach you fellows how to read and write English. (And not in the "Two people separated by a common language" sense that GB Shaw might have meant it. More in the functionally illiterate, cannot write a coherent sentence sense.)

Yeah yeah your so so clever, by the way i dont have any Brit cousins although i do have some from the ROI and my grandfather was born there - i have very little time for the brits and i do not acknowledge the queen or the union jack. You obviously speak English pretty well.

If you know anything about the fight for gun rights here youll see we have slowly clawed back some of our rights, we hold roughly 10% of the power in the state i live (which is actually a pretty decent hold)

How much time have you spent here and looked at the gun laws or talked to shooters here? ive seen a few on here who have recently visited and they have a completely different school of thought on it and were very positive about us and believed we were doing good things.

You really do talk down to people - im not angry at you i just pity you, your a cranky little man.

Good points there MC appriciate it as always.

tslex
10-30-2012, 09:45
Yeah yeah your so so clever, by the way i dont have any Brit cousins although i do have some from the ROI and my grandfather was born there - i have very little time for the brits and i do not acknowledge the queen or the union jack. You obviously speak English pretty well.

Now, you see there POI, we have managed through the power of reasoned debate to find common ground. My people are all from Ireland (except for a German or two who slipped into the pub through the back door over the years). After several centuries of unrelenting oppression and attempted genocide, I, too, "have very little time for the Brits." If you truly do not acknowledge the "queen," unlike so many of your countrymen who take every opportunity to fawn over her or whichever of her "royal" brood happen down that way from time to time, then I say good on you.

You really do talk down to people .

That's an inaccurate generalization. I rarely talk to people. I just chose to talk down to you. :wavey: You see the difference, right? And you understand the intellectual danger of assuming the general based on a limited (in fact, single) example of the specific?

your a cranky little man.

You meant "you're," didn't you? Yes, I'm sure you did. Truth is, while I suppose I'm susceptible to the occasional fit of "crankiness," (Melancholy is supposed to be one of the signature traits of Irish character, after all.*) I haven't been cranky in this thread at all. Indeed, I've rather enjoyed it. And little? No, as it happens.

For the great Gaels of Ireland
Are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry,
And all their songs are sad.

GK Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse

tslex
10-30-2012, 10:00

Tslex,

What America are you living in? You talk about the 'indefensible Australian nanny state'. Yet present day America in no way reflects 'the American ethos of liberty and self-reliance' that you talk so glibly about. I wouldn't go so far as to say "in no way," but I cannot disagree these values have deteriorated here. Why, if it keeps going like this, it might be as bad someday as . . . Australia

You have a President that is selling your people out and is well along the way to creating a nanny state that makes Australia's pale into insignificance. See above.

Whether you like it or not you're circling the drain and if If Romney doesn't win next month the America that you remember may well be gone forever. See, you were doing so WELL up this point. But your evident belief that Romney is some sort of savior, or even a meaningful improvement over the current president, betrays either a want of clear thinking or an overabundance of optimism

William Ewart Fairbairn once spoke of 'the supercilious arrogance of utter ignorance.' You've displayed that in spades all through this post. I have absolutely been supercilious in this thread. But that has in no way been a product of ignorance. Rather, it has been a fully conscious, informed choice. It just seemed like the right tone to take in response to the nonsense that was on offer.If you want to play the Ugly American, why not go back to your basement and do it there. No basements to speak of here where I live. Presently posting from 30 floors up, actually.

This was a cordial post about an unremarkable movie until you opened your mouth and said 'Hey look at me, look at me, I exist. I know how to use juvenile ad-hominem attacks'. See, that's the trouble right there. As anyone who reads the thread from the start will see, that's not at all how this progressed.

Frankly, no one cares.Well, except for you, right? Because this is an awfully long retort if you don't care, and you had to go and check the Fairbairn quote for accuracy and provenance. (You DID check the quote, didn't you?)

:wavey:

Chuck TX
10-30-2012, 10:19
Seems like as good a thread as any to ask.

When is Roo season and is there a bag limit?

tslex
10-30-2012, 10:21

:rofl:

But be careful. I've seen a LOT of Bugs Bunny cartoons and so I know that the ones with boxing gloves can be pretty dangerous.

:rofl:

MC
10-30-2012, 22:05
Tslex

Hmmm, Let's see.

What America are you living in? You talk about the 'indefensible Australian nanny state'. Yet present day America in no way reflects 'the American ethos of liberty and self-reliance' that you talk so glibly about.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "in no way," but I cannot disagree these values have deteriorated here. Why, if it keeps going like this, it might be as bad someday as . . . Australia.

Considering the breadth of ignorance you have already displayed about Australia, the above can be dismissed as pure sophistry.

See, you were doing so WELL up this point. But your evident belief that Romney is some sort of savior, or even a meaningful improvement over the current president, betrays either a want of clear thinking or an overabundance of optimism.

No I don't see Romney as a saviour at all, merely someone who may delay the inevitable economic collapse and who may not be as inimical as Obama towards the 2nd Amendment.

I have absolutely been supercilious in this thread. But that has in no way been a product of ignorance. Rather, it has been a fully conscious, informed choice. It just seemed like the right tone to take in response to the nonsense that was on offer.

Really? Here am I thinking the nonsense that was on offer began with this little gem, <<Confused. With guns essentially banned in Australia, how do they do a plausible movie about armed citizen resistance.>>

If you want to play the Ugly American, why not go back to your basement and do it there. No basements to speak of here where I live. Presently posting from 30 floors up, actually.

Fair enough, then the 'time out' corner will have to suffice.

This was a cordial post about an unremarkable movie until you opened your mouth and said 'Hey look at me, look at me, I exist. I know how to use juvenile ad-hominem attacks'. See, that's the trouble right there. As anyone who reads the thread from the start will see, that's not at all how this progressed.

Actually, it's precisely how it progressed.

Frankly, no one cares.
Well, except for you, right? Because this is an awfully long retort if you don't care
You're quite right, I did lower myself to your level - well, near it anyway because I am as proud of my country as you are of yours. Just vastly better informed.

and you had to go and check the Fairbairn quote for accuracy and provenance. (You DID check the quote, didn't you?)
Actually, no, I didn't have to. 'Shooting To Live' was an early seminal book on gunfighting. I first read it some thirty five years ago when I became interested in the subject as a young police trainer. The Fairbairn quote was conveyed to me by a man who trained with Rex Applegate.

By the way if you are going to attempt the use of colloquialisms from another country, please try to find examples less than fifty years out of date. If you've picked these expressions up from movies, I can assure you they were put there expressly for the gullible American audience. Well, that part of it that doesn't think Australia is a nice little country near Germany.

If I began using utterly antiquated American slang, you would quite rightly roll your eyes and think, 'How moronic can you be, can any one be that stupid?'

Prior to your abysmal attempt at rendering so called 'Australianisms' I only assumed you were ignorant, then, bless you, you went and confirmed it for me.

Cali-Glock
10-30-2012, 22:40
On the way from Netflix...

Ruggles
10-30-2012, 22:51
Jennifer Gray and Lea Thompson in overstuffed winter gear Vs. Caitlin Stasey and Phoebe Tonkin in swimsuits?!

Your statement is unconvincing. :supergrin:

I don't know, Lea is such a cutie she can pull off a overstuffed winter jacket :)

tslex
10-31-2012, 10:15
MC,

Really, how much fun can two guys have, separated by a dozen times zones or so? Don't we live in a glorious age of technology and wonder?

So you say that "fair dinkum" is out of date? Oh my. And I thought I was being so so au courant that I might have been mistaken for a denizen Sidney -- or at least Hobart. I am quite certain I saw a fellow with a funny hat and a big knife use just that very phrase on the telly the other day in a documentary about a typical Australian set loose in New York. Hmm. I suppose it might have been a rebroadcast of some kind. Crikey.

I note from your response above that you are or were an Australian police officer. That explains a great deal. Seen through that lens, your view of gun laws there makes ever so much more sense.

Also, I like very much your appeal to authority. The notion that you had a drink [A Foster's I trust] with a man who once shared a Singapore prostitute with Rex Applegate clearly gave you a monetary advantage on points. But -- A HA! -- I've had a hearty breakfast with a man who once polished Col. Cooper's shoes, so take THAT!

But listen, it's fine and admirable that you love your country. A man ought to love his country. And I can well understand how that love, burdened as it is by the weight of a couple of centuries of the characteristic Australian inferiority complex, would lead you to the position you have here. No worries (oops -- sorry -- do y'all still say that?).

So, please go on, tell us more about "The Land Down Under," bastion of liberty and freedom, sacred vessel of the individual's God-given right to defense.

One question still burns. Especially given your crushing accusations that I am ignorant of the important finer points of Australian "culture," perhaps you can clear it up for me. . . . .

Your name's not Bruce then? Because that's going to cause a bit of confusion.

Glackety Glack
10-31-2012, 10:48
The ending was cut way short. The chick I was watching it with never saw Red Dawn, I almost kicked her out of my house. in fairness it was before her time.

Adjuster
10-31-2012, 10:55
The ending was cut way short. The chick I was watching it with never saw Red Dawn, I almost kicked her out of my house. in fairness it was before her time.

That is not the ending. It is part 1 of a 3 part miniseries.

/

Glackety Glack
10-31-2012, 11:00
That is not the ending. It is part 1 of a 3 part miniseries.

/

I did not see parts 2, 3 available on netflix. But that would explain it.

The cross-eyed blond was hot.

Bren
10-31-2012, 11:20

Same here. I did say it ended like a series pilot, setting up for the next episode.

MC
10-31-2012, 19:05
MC,

Really, how much fun can two guys have, separated by a dozen times zones or so? Don't we live in a glorious age of technology and wonder?

So you say that "fair dinkum" is out of date? Oh my. And I thought I was being so so au courant that I might have been mistaken for a denizen Sidney -- or at least Hobart. I am quite certain I saw a fellow with a funny hat and a big knife use just that very phrase on the telly the other day in a documentary about a typical Australian set loose in New York. Hmm. I suppose it might have been a rebroadcast of some kind. Crikey.

I note from your response above that you are or were an Australian police officer. That explains a great deal. Seen through that lens, your view of gun laws there makes ever so much more sense.

Also, I like very much your appeal to authority. The notion that you had a drink [A Foster's I trust] with a man who once shared a Singapore prostitute with Rex Applegate clearly gave you a monetary advantage on points. But -- A HA! -- I've had a hearty breakfast with a man who once polished Col. Cooper's shoes, so take THAT!

But listen, it's fine and admirable that you love your country. A man ought to love his country. And I can well understand how that love, burdened as it is by the weight of a couple of centuries of the characteristic Australian inferiority complex, would lead you to the position you have here. No worries (oops -- sorry -- do y'all still say that?).

So, please go on, tell us more about "The Land Down Under," bastion of liberty and freedom, sacred vessel of the individual's God-given right to defense.

One question still burns. Especially given your crushing accusations that I am ignorant of the important finer points of Australian "culture," perhaps you can clear it up for me. . . . .

Your name's not Bruce then? Because that's going to cause a bit of confusion.

It would appear I'm in a so called battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Oh dear, do please try and keep up tslex; Iíve underlined the relevant part of a previous reply. Once more for the feeble minded;
<<By the way if you are going to attempt the use of colloquialisms from another country, please try to find examples less than fifty years out of date. If you've picked these expressions up from movies, I can assure you they were put there expressly for the gullible American audience. Well, that part of it that doesn't think Australia is a nice little country near Germany.>>

Oh, by the way itís Sydney, not Sidney.

Iím sorry, where did I say anything about my views on gun laws??? Sure you have the right poster?

Also, I like very much your appeal to authority. The notion that you had a drink [A Foster's I trust] with a man who once shared a Singapore prostitute with Rex Applegate clearly gave you a monetary advantage on points.

I simply gave a factual reply. My fault in making even the most simple of assumptions about the level of your cognitive reasoning ability.

OK Point 1. Fosters is not even an Australian company, itís owned by SABMiller. It is regarded by most locals as the equivalent of drinking twenty-weight motor oil. In Europe, itís brewed under licence by Heinekens.

Point 2. If you refer to Sharpening the Warriors Edge (you do have some reference books donít you? Other than Marvel comics, I mean.) On the top of Page 2 youíll find the manís name that Iím referring to in the Acknowledgements section. Bruce Siddle refers to him as his mentor.

My newest fond wish is that you run into Bruce Siddle one day and ask him about whether Des Morrison once shared a Singapore prostitute with Rex Applegate. Iíd be fascinated to see how many teeth you had left when you got up off the ground.

But -- A HA! -- I've had a hearty breakfast with a man who once polished Col. Cooper's shoes, so take THAT!

I could believe that, Partners in the same shoeshine stand were you?

Boring...:upeyes:

Youíre quite right, for some stupid reason, we thought we were allied with America, shared the same values and thus we sent troops to Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan to assist. Itís time we stopped; there will be little point if Obama wins again and besides, why try and help a country that is essentially owned financially by Communist China anyway?

One question still burns. Especially given your crushing accusations that I am ignorant of the important finer points of Australian "culture,"

Oh, I donít think thereís any doubt of that.

perhaps you can clear it up for me. . . . . Your name's not Bruce then? Because that's going to cause a bit of confusion.

Tslex itís quite apparent from your sophomoric attempts at humour and your muddled writing style (to give it a level of significance it doesnít merit) that youíre quite often confused. Early Alzheimers perhaps? There may be stronger medication available that can help you with the mental ossification thatís so plainly evident throughout your posts.

Adjuster
10-31-2012, 20:00

2 and 3 have not yet been filmed. Its also a 7 book series.

/

Adjuster
10-31-2012, 20:04
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow,_When_the_War_Began_(film)

tslex
11-01-2012, 08:49
It would appear I'm in a so called battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Oh dear, do please try and keep up tslex; I’ve underlined the relevant part of a previous reply. Once more for the feeble minded;
<<By the way if you are going to attempt the use of colloquialisms from another country, please try to find examples less than fifty years out of date. If you've picked these expressions up from movies, I can assure you they were put there expressly for the gullible American audience. Well, that part of it that doesn't think Australia is a nice little country near Germany.>>

Oh, by the way it’s Sydney, not Sidney.

Poor, benighted Australia, the land without sarcasm. That must make the entire internet, to say nothing of GlockTalk awfully frustrating and confusing for you: "Oy, Matilda. Stop waltzing and get over here. This bloke on GlockTalk thinks Crocodile Dundee was a real person!"

Of course I know Crocodile Dundee was a fictional character -- much like that Crocidile HUNTER character played by Steve Irwin, who was on TV until they cancelled his show to do a spin off with the little girl who plays his daughter.

(But point to you for the Sydney typo. I do TRY to give these meaningless bits of web repartee my most thorough attention, but sometimes one is distracted by family, clients, partners and other trivial annoyances.)

I’m sorry, where did I say anything about my views on gun laws??? Sure you have the right poster?

You consider my position that Australia's gun laws are draconian -- you know, bad -- to be incorrect. Ipso facto. . . .well you can do the rest.

Also, I like very much your appeal to authority. The notion that you had a drink [A Foster's I trust] with a man who once shared a Singapore prostitute with Rex Applegate clearly gave you a monetary advantage on points.

I simply gave a factual reply. My fault in making even the most simple of assumptions about the level of your cognitive reasoning ability.

OK Point 1. Fosters is not even an Australian company, it’s owned by SABMiller. It is regarded by most locals as the equivalent of drinking twenty-weight motor oil. In Europe, it’s brewed under licence by Heinekens.

Point 2. If you refer to Sharpening the Warriors Edge (you do have some reference books don’t you? Other than Marvel comics, I mean.) On the top of Page 2 you’ll find the man’s name that I’m referring to in the Acknowledgements section. Bruce Siddle refers to him as his mentor.

My newest fond wish is that you run into Bruce Siddle one day and ask him about whether Des Morrison once shared a Singapore prostitute with Rex Applegate. I’d be fascinated to see how many teeth you had left when you got up off the ground.

But, I was certain I heard somewhere that Foster's was Australian for beer. [See above comment about sarcasm. I realize you need the help sorting out that kind of thing.] And really MC, are you telling me your buddy with a third degree of separation from the now discredited point-shooting aficionado can beat me up? Do I need to say that my buddy with one degree of separation from the invention of modern gun-fighting can beat up your buddy? This really is TOO much fun -- and I love when guys on the other side of the planet make physical threats on the interwebz. It's so . . .manly.

But -- A HA! -- I've had a hearty breakfast with a man who once polished Col. Cooper's shoes, so take THAT!

I could believe that, Partners in the same shoeshine stand were you?

Boring...:upeyes:

Yikes, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve. That Australian inferiority complex crack might have crossed a line, huh. After all, here we are, two guys busting chops across the Equator and I have to go and pull out something so central -- and painful -- to the Australian psyche.

You’re quite right, for some stupid reason, we thought we were allied with America, shared the same values and thus we sent troops to Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan to assist. It’s time we stopped; there will be little point if Obama wins again and besides, why try and help a country that is essentially owned financially by Communist China anyway?

I find almost nothing to disagree with in the above paragraph, unless it is the ignorant and sad implication that your own economy is any less sold out. (Also, perhaps I should have begun all this with a disclaimer: I don't speak for the State Department, so I think all our various treaties with y'all remain comfortably in place.)

One question still burns. Especially given your crushing accusations that I am ignorant of the important finer points of Australian "culture,"

Oh, I don’t think there’s any doubt of that.

perhaps you can clear it up for me. . . . . Your name's not Bruce then? Because that's going to cause a bit of confusion.

Tslex it’s quite apparent from your sophomoric attempts at humour and your muddled writing style (to give it a level of significance it doesn’t merit) that you’re quite often confused. Early Alzheimers perhaps? There may be stronger medication available that can help you with the mental ossification that’s so plainly evident throughout your posts.

You didn't answer my question, you only insulted me. Here, take a look at the documentary film in which the question was first posed and see if you can answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

Say. . . . Are you by any chance an adjunct in the Philosophy Department of the University of Woolloomooloo? That would explain a lot.

Your bash, as those English blighters say.

MC
11-02-2012, 00:50
Poor, benighted Australia, the land without sarcasm. That must make the entire internet, to say nothing of GlockTalk awfully frustrating and confusing for you: "Oy, Matilda. Stop waltzing and get over here. This bloke on GlockTalk thinks Crocodile Dundee was a real person!"

Of course I know Crocodile Dundee was a fictional character -- much like that Crocidile HUNTER character played by Steve Irwin, who was on TV until they cancelled his show to do a spin off with the little girl who plays his daughter.

(But point to you for the Sydney typo. I do TRY to give these meaningless bits of web repartee my most thorough attention, but sometimes one is distracted by family, clients, partners and other trivial annoyances.)

You consider my position that Australia's gun laws are draconian -- you know, bad -- to be incorrect. Ipso facto. . . .well you can do the rest.

But, I was certain I heard somewhere that Foster's was Australian for beer. [See above comment about sarcasm. I realize you need the help sorting out that kind of thing.] And really MC, are you telling me your buddy with a third degree of separation from the now discredited point-shooting aficionado can beat me up? Do I need to say that my buddy with one degree of separation from the invention of modern gun-fighting can beat up your buddy? This really is TOO much fun -- and I love when guys on the other side of the planet make physical threats on the interwebz. It's so . . .manly.

Yikes, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve. That Australian inferiority complex crack might have crossed a line, huh. After all, here we are, two guys busting chops across the Equator and I have to go and pull out something so central -- and painful -- to the Australian psyche.

I find almost nothing to disagree with in the above paragraph, unless it is the ignorant and sad implication that your own economy is any less sold out. (Also, perhaps I should have begun all this with a disclaimer: I don't speak for the State Department, so I think all our various treaties with y'all remain comfortably in place.)

You didn't answer my question, you only insulted me. Here, take a look at the documentary film in which the question was first posed and see if you can answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

Say. . . . Are you by any chance an adjunct in the Philosophy Department of the University of Woolloomooloo? That would explain a lot.

Your bash, as those English blighters say.

tslex,

I'll keep this brief;

You didn't answer my question, you only insulted me.

Yes I did. If you'll recall your snide little aside about 'once having shared a Singapore prostitute with Rex Applegate.'

I have no problems with you 'trying' (that being the operative word) to insult or belittle me or my country.

But you didn't do that, you insulted a good and decent man in a way I found both vile and disgusting. You could have couched your reply in any one of a dozen different ways, yet the example you chose was worthy only of gutter trash.

No doubt you found it the height of hilarity at the time, something which speaks more to your 'character' than you would perhaps care to admit.

I have little love for what John Howard's gun laws did to this country. You simply came out with something that was factually incorrect and then tried to wallpaper it over by dissembling.

Thank you for letting me know that 'draconian' is the same as 'bad' by the way. Given the level of imprecision in your speech I can only surmise that you're a lawyer by profession. Or if not, then someone in another profession who worships at the same throne of moral relativism.

Whatever the case, these posts between us are simply becoming sadly vicious and there seems little point in continuing. After all, you have so many better things to do with your oh so important life.

I don't think either of us will lose any sleep in concluding these little tÍte-ŗ-tÍtes. I know I won't.

PersonOfInterest
11-02-2012, 01:34

Well Roo's are actually protected here - that being said across all walks of shooters sports/hunters/farmers etc i think over all my life ive never know anyone who dosent actually shoot them (just one of those laws no one cares about) they are in plague proportions most places you go.
I dont much shoot animals these days - kinda moved on from for my own reasons but back in the day i would shoot hundreds of them - with every type pf firearm i could lay hands on.
Wild goats, wild pigs, wild dogs, deer, even camels here are alot more commonly shot, matter of fact the government has a department that places adds in local newspapers across my state to encourage people to take up recreational vermin control (ie get licensed etc) so as bad as laws get there theres still positive things happening.

PersonOfInterest
11-02-2012, 02:32
Heres a great Aussie film - really watching (seriously) the 1st youtube clip was a great scene next is a trailer

Animal Kingdom #1 Movie CLIP - Let Him Know Who's King (2010) HD - YouTube
Animal Kingdom - Official Full Length Trailer - YouTube

And another all time favourite Aussie film - one of the best films ever made in my opinion.

The Proposition - Trailer - YouTube

And of course based on a true Australian story that helped shape our country - Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly Trailer - YouTube

Anyway thats 3 good Aussie movies that can wash away the steaming pile of ****e of a movie that started this whole thread. :supergrin:

mac66
11-02-2012, 07:11

Meanwhile, back on topic......

Just watched it last night. Pretty good flick. Pretty inept invasion army though.

Adjuster
11-02-2012, 07:27
Heres a great Aussie film - really watching (seriously) the 1st youtube clip was a great scene next is a trailer

Animal Kingdom #1 Movie CLIP - Let Him Know Who's King (2010) HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sFu4iEF8dk)
Animal Kingdom - Official Full Length Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAgbn87bXws)

And another all time favourite Aussie film - one of the best films ever made in my opinion.

The Proposition - Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7V-CW_SUos)

And of course based on a true Australian story that helped shape our country - Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doArSp1AIUw)

Anyway thats 3 good Aussie movies that can wash away the steaming pile of ****e of a movie that started this whole thread. :supergrin:

Can't believe you left out 'Crocodile Dundee'!!!

/

DanaT
11-02-2012, 07:58
I will have to watch this movie in the next few weeks.

tslex
11-02-2012, 08:18
tslex,

I'll keep this brief;

. . . . . .

I don't think either of us will lose any sleep in concluding these little tÍte-ŗ-tÍtes. I know I won't.

Oh no! Say you don't mean it. You're not giving up now are you, when you were so close to grasping the concepts of sarcasm and hyperbole?

Ah well, all good things must end, I suppose.

But, as we close this out, may I ask just once more:

You name's not Bruce then?

Bilbo Bagins
11-02-2012, 08:27
Meanwhile, back on topic......

Just watched it last night. Pretty good flick. Pretty inept invasion army though.

So the movie is based on a pretty popular book in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow,_When_the_War_Began

The book was geared toward young adults, so think more along the lines of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. It can be brutal but they don't want to go too realistic, gory and nasty because you turn off too many of the core fans.

I still laugh thinking about how quiet it got in the movie theater during the Hunger Game when the actual "Game" started. All you heard was was occasional gasp from soccer moms that finally realized they took their pre-teen daughter to a movie that shows kids slaughtering other kids. The kids already knew what was coming because they read the book.

Cali-Glock
11-02-2012, 08:57
Hmm - watched it last night - it was okay - kind of slow.

I wonder how entertaining the books are.

Chuck TX
11-02-2012, 09:09
Well Roo's are actually protected here - that being said across all walks of shooters sports/hunters/farmers etc i think over all my life ive never know anyone who dosent actually shoot them (just one of those laws no one cares about) they are in plague proportions most places you go.
I dont much shoot animals these days - kinda moved on from for my own reasons but back in the day i would shoot hundreds of them - with every type pf firearm i could lay hands on.
Wild goats, wild pigs, wild dogs, deer, even camels here are alot more commonly shot, matter of fact the government has a department that places adds in local newspapers across my state to encourage people to take up recreational vermin control (ie get licensed etc) so as bad as laws get there theres still positive things happening.

No season, dang. I was watching a show a while back about the Roo plague. They'd moved into some towns, can't recall which, and were hoping all over the place causing wrecks, etc.

Figured it might be like feral hogs here where anything goes.

PersonOfInterest
11-05-2012, 03:20
No season, dang. I was watching a show a while back about the Roo plague. They'd moved into some towns, can't recall which, and were hoping all over the place causing wrecks, etc.

Figured it might be like feral hogs here where anything goes.

There pretty tame, only time they hurt people is when they get too friendly around people and start pushing their weight around - thats rare.

Wild goats and pigs people shoot alot more of, Roo's mostly get shot when there getting into crop fields etc.