Help with a computer sound system. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with a computer sound system.

Gino
10-22-2012, 19:37
I just built a new computer and I need to add some sound to it. My motherboard has onboard sound. I have a pair of small Polk Audio R15 speakers that are just sitting around that I'd like to use. These are non-powered speakers.

Should I buy a sound card? Add an amplifier? I don't want to spend much... I would only be listening to this up close (and relatively softly) for movies and some music.

I looked at partsexpress and I saw a few class T amps that look promising. Didn't someone on here talk about a "DAK" recently?

Thanks for the help,
Gino

Dan_ntx
10-22-2012, 19:40
I bought an Altec Lansing PC speaker set with sub and ran it off the stock sound card...sounded great. Lots of bass and clarity, Frys sold it for $59.

Taphius
10-22-2012, 19:56
I have eagle arion ar504 on both my desktops and they are very good for the price.

For the average user a sound card isn't important, the on board stuff is more than enough.

CitizenOfDreams
10-22-2012, 20:56
Onboard sound chips are perfectly adequate for gaming/music/movies etc. You do need either powered speakers or an amplifier.

If you have a tight budget and want the best sound for the money, go to a thrift store and buy a pair of old school full-size speakers along with an amplifier.

I personally use Marantz SP2042 speakers (3-way, 12" woofers, 100W RMS, 90dB) and RCA STAV-3860 receiver (60W RMS per channel). Paid less than $100 a few years ago.

inthefrey
10-22-2012, 21:12
Onboard sound chips are perfectly adequate for gaming/music/movies etc. You do need either powered speakers or an amplifier.

If you have a tight budget and want the best sound for the money, go to a thrift store and buy a pair of old school full-size speakers along with an amplifier.

I personally use Marantz SP2042 speakers (3-way, 12" woofers, 100W RMS, 90dB) and RCA STAV-3860 receiver (60W RMS per channel). Paid less than $100 a few years ago.

^^^THIS^^^

Your motherboard sound device will produce the same quality LINE-LEVEL audio that an add-on device or card will. Use the line out from your motherboard to feed a good amp and speakers and you'll be fine.

.264 magnum
10-22-2012, 21:50
^^^THIS^^^

Your motherboard sound device will produce the same quality LINE-LEVEL audio that an add-on device or card will. Use the line out from your motherboard to feed a good amp and speakers and you'll be fine.

That is correct if one must use line-level out, if so why?

With an outboard DAC fed via USB one can, emphasis can, achieve 100% bit perfect SQ versus the source and relieve the computer of all clocking chores. One simply cannot pull that off via a sound-card.

Back to sound-cards and line-level out, sound-card SQ varies from pretty darned good to utter crap.

Angry Fist
10-22-2012, 21:59
I just run the MP3 cable from the headphone jack to the audio in on the stereo. Shakes the whole house.

CitizenOfDreams
10-22-2012, 22:40
With an outboard DAC fed via USB one can, emphasis can, achieve 100% bit perfect SQ versus the source and relieve the computer of all clocking chores. One simply cannot pull that off via a sound-card.

I doubt you could hear any difference with a budget audio system. With a limited budget, external DAC will not be the first item on my shopping list.

Cmacc
10-22-2012, 22:51
Go to Parts Express where you started and get this amp :

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300

Hook it to your Polk bookshelf R15's and you'll be golden.

.264 magnum
10-23-2012, 07:49
I doubt you could hear any difference with a budget audio system. With a limited budget, external DAC will not be the first item on my shopping list.

Sure. I guess it really does boil down to what one's budget.

However, asynchronous DACs can be found for about $100 of course they can be much more too.