Talk me off the ledge... Now considering an M&P... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk me off the ledge... Now considering an M&P...

SoonerDad
10-22-2012, 19:57
Hey y'all...

Fairly new Glock owner here. Bought a used Gen 3 Glock 17 a couple of months ago and fell in love... That thing is an amazing piece of firearms technology. It does everything we expect from a Glock. Eats any ammo I give it and asks for more. I even did my first IPSC competition with it, and it was beautiful, man...

I get a nice bonus at the end of the month, and I'm ready to buy the wife one. She's shot my G17 a couple of times and she's digging it, too. We have our CCW class next month, so she will need a good carry weapon.

No problem.

Glock 19.

Problem solved.

So now I'm waiting 'till the beginning of November to buy her one. And I want her to have a new, unused weapon we can break in together, and both trust to defend her if the ***** hits the fan.

Except, the brass to the face thing is not acceptable.

She's amazing, but a few hot cases to her gorgeous face and she's liable to lose interest.

My local gun store has some Gen 3 G19's available, but some of you guys say that even the late model G3's are doing the same thing. I have enough skill to polish up the extractor (or replace it with a better aftermarket one) but have we settled on that being the true problem? Opinions seem to vary...

My local pawn shop has a used 9mm M&P for $429. An good option for now until Glock gets this figured out. They also have a couple USA made G19's (I know, right?)... Will I be ok with one of those?

I really think it's a good idea my wife carries... Her confidence level is just a bit tenuous right now, so I'm very concerned about the brass to the face thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

9L0ck
10-22-2012, 20:08
I think there are more good glocks then problem glocks get the 19.
But the m&p is nice also. Can't go wrong with whatever you end up with.

AustinTx
10-22-2012, 20:11
I would go with the Gen 3 19. You would have better parts interchangeability, with the Gen 3. Just 1 opinion, I have 7 Gen 3 Glocks with no problems.

Topsider
10-22-2012, 20:15
If you're worried, get a G26 instead. It's a better carry gun, anyway.

Stang_Man
10-22-2012, 20:19
I have seen a lot of malfunctions with the M&P 40. Maybe the 9mm is different?

Further, I've seen multiple slides ripped off during disarming drills, on at least 4 different guns- in just one day.

I like the grip, it fits my hand great, and it has a crisp trigger break- although I am not a fan of the jointed trigger safety.

For a gun I literally trust my life with, I'm glad I went with the Glock 22 (Gen4).

bac1023
10-22-2012, 20:29
The M&P is a great pistol.

Rustin
10-22-2012, 20:31
I would shoot both before you decide which one fits and know that any limpwristing with a Glock can result in some brass to the face. Happens to me when I don't grip the gun right.

I feel the m&p can probably fit more people than the Glock can. By now it's established an awesome track record. The gun runs and runs and runs. The m&p 9c is a great carry

F106 Fan
10-22-2012, 20:31
I think there are more good glocks then problem glocks get the 19.

Unfortunately, this statistic is useless if you happen to get one of the problem Glocks. The real problem is that Glock hasn't been able to resolve the issues. They replace parts, call the gun 'nominal' (or whatever) and the problems are still there.

There is no known fix for either the Gen 4 or late model Gen 3 guns. If it was as simple as 'put in xxx, yyy and zzz', everybody would just follow along and everything would be fine. There is no recipe...

The M&P has a pretty good reputation but so does the Springfield Armory XD and XDm guns. I have one of the XD9s and it is a very nice 9mm.

If I was into 9mm and wanted an excellent pistol albeit with a different 'Manual Of Arms', I would buy the Sig P239. They're pricey but they are very nice guns. They are all metal so, yes, they are heavier but they are easy to shoot.

Richard

Coastal
10-22-2012, 21:19
A full-size M&P may be a challenge to carry. I've got an M&P40 which I really, really like that has been 100% reliable and quite accurate but the larger frame would make for a challenging carry pistol (although the subject is academic for me given my location). The Gen 3 G19 is a well-proven pistol--you'd be fairly safe in picking one up from your LGS.

SoonerDad
10-22-2012, 21:27
Thanks for all of the advice... I really appreciate it!

So any advantage to grabbing the USA made Gen 4 Glock 19, or is that still a 'roll of the dice'?

At least it would be a newer make, but without knowing exactly what the problem is it may not matter, USA or Austria....

Thanks again...

Smokin45
10-22-2012, 23:56

Based on what? I find my 19 just as easy to conceal as my 26...

Topsider
10-23-2012, 01:14

Shorter grip prints less easily.

Clutch Cargo
10-23-2012, 01:31
Smith & Wesson J frame. Nuff said.

Queen Bee
10-23-2012, 03:16
Go with the M&P 9. Or you could go with the new shield, i picked one up in 9 and its good to go right out of the box. I can get 3 fingers on the grip, so maybe your wife can as well. The plus side is when she decides to carry . She will be ready to go.

I pass on all glocks that are newer. I only have older ones due to me getting 1 17 gen 4 lemon R letter serial, and a 26 gen 3 lemon Rletter serial. Needless to say all my glocks now start with K. From 07' and run flawless.

Bruce M
10-23-2012, 05:52
To me the best way to make a decision would be to shoot each first and then pick whichever was better. If that is not possible then at least maybe hold each at the same time.

PAGunner
10-23-2012, 05:56
You can't go wrong with an M&P!

PAGunner
10-23-2012, 05:58
I have seen a lot of malfunctions with the M&P 40.

That's a bunch of "stuff", BS detector went off a mile away, why spread Internet crap?

t4terrific
10-23-2012, 06:11

The 26 definitely prints less with IWB carry. I have both and have carried both. The shorter grip on the 26 is the key to making it easier to hide on your person.

The Glock 19 is my favorite, and very concealable. It's just a matter of physics though. The smaller 26 just doesn't stick out as much.

t4terrific
10-23-2012, 06:16
Glock has shaken my confidence a little over the last couple of years. I would still go with Glock though. A gen 3 for me. I just like the ergonomics better than the gen 4.

If it was me, I'd look around for an older gen 3 in "like new condition", replace the recoil spring, and shoot it till I'm confident in it to work every time the way it should.

dhgeyer
10-23-2012, 06:24
Actually, you can go wrong with an M&P Full Size 9mm, if that's what you're looking at. Some of them have very sloppy tolerances. Mine would not do better than 8" average group at 25 yds. I know, I should have sent it back to S&W. I took the easy way out. Check out the S&W boards, though. It's a common problem with that particular model and size. Some people blame it on "early unlocking" (google it), but I think the barrel fit is just sloppy generally. They are very reliable, though, and will not kick brass in your face. The grip is more comfortable than a Glock. Most people like the Glock trigger better, unless you spend money for aftermarket parts (Apex Tactical). All in all, I think Glocks are better at this point. I can shoot my G19 about twice as well as the M&P on the same day with the same ammo. If accuracy is not a big concern, then the M&P might be the way to go. The G19 conceals much much better. The M&P Compact is more comparable, and a better carry. I have not heard horror accuracy stories about the M&P Compact models either. If you get a G19 Gen4, a new non-dip extractor will probably cure the brass to the face issue, if you have it at all. People are having good luck with that with the Gen4's: the Gen3's not so much.

gadgetnut259
10-23-2012, 06:39
*cough* see below :wavey:

GlockPride
10-23-2012, 06:58
M&P's are great guns. I have two 9c's and a 9L that I shoot in IDPA. All are plenty accurate if I do my part. Jus bought a .40 VTAC on GB on Saturday. If it works and fits the bill I will be selling my 23 and all accessories. This is the first pistol I bought, but I am tired of the finger bumps!

GlockPride
10-23-2012, 07:01
*cough* see below :wavey:

*NEVER* shot one, and I know they just had a recall, but the Caracal really interests me. Also, may look at the CZ P-01. Great pistol. I've got 2 buddies that have them and they are excellent guns!

There are lots of options!

LampShadeActual
10-23-2012, 07:16
Get the M19 in a T or above serial number. Glocks may be confused sometimes, but S&W can be never never land.

The last 8 (eight) S&Ws I owned new in the last 4 years resulted in 2 needing factory repairs, 2 being replaced, and one replacement not working.

The only ones that worked out of the box new properly without factory re-attention were a M&P340 .357 and a M43 .22LR.

gadgetnut259
10-23-2012, 07:25
*NEVER* shot one, and I know they just had a recall.....
The only recall I know of is for certain PPK and PK380's. The PPQ isn't included in that. You should try one if you get a chance.

rimshaker
10-23-2012, 08:40
Have her try out an M&P at the range first to see how she likes it. Shoot back and forth between M&P and Glock.

Most women end up liking the slimmer ergonomic grips on the M&Ps.

Jeffk49738
10-23-2012, 13:30
I had 5 M&P's. They're great firearms and shoot nice. Get the compact 9 or .40. If you do

But...

I sold 5 M&P's and got 5 Glocks. Gen 3's and Gen 4's.

Get a Gen 4 G26 they shoot as straight as the full size. ASk anyone here theyll probably agree. Easy to conceal she'll never look back.

Queen Bee
10-23-2012, 13:56
Rimshaker , thats just an obsolete comment. Depends on the hands.

And while i agree with you jeff that the 26 hides well , i would have agreed with you till i touched the M&P shield.

The the OP. this auction is for an F serial glock 19, that i would consider buying myself for my 3rd 19 but i would just grip chop it to a 26. But going to let you go for it instead. I am sure its going to work flawless. Pick it up while you have time left

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=311932276

brickboy240
10-23-2012, 14:12
If you can stand the trigger and want to roll the dice to see whether or not you get an accurate full size M&P9...go for it.

Otherwise, I'd look hard at the PPQ. Better trigger and it is known for being very accurate.

kshutt
10-23-2012, 19:32
Well, I own a G19 and a Smith & Wesson M & P 9. I obviously love Glocks, or I wouldn't have 4 of them. That being said, I really enjoy shooting my Smith 9, and have no plans to sell or trade it. In fact, it's currently my carry pistol. Although I rotate my carry pistols, there is nothing about the M & P that would give cause to leave it out of the line-up.

OhioGlock90
10-23-2012, 21:17
I like this comment! i just bought a gen 3 26 and love it! I do also have a M&P 9 and love that as well. honestly you can't go wrong with either. I prefer the M&P for just sending some lead down range because its more comfortable, however im so much more accurate with the 26...... dont know why that is. I havent had an issue with feeding or ejecting with either gun.

wats6831
10-24-2012, 08:43
You can't go wrong with an XD or a Beretta PX4 storm subcompact. I just sold mine and got a Glock 19 gen 3. Man was that stupid. My Beretta was absolutely flawless with anything and very easy to shoot.

dakrat
10-24-2012, 08:57
understand that people don't come to online forums and glorify their 100% functioning pistol. both Glock and M&P are solid pistols. If you have decided on the M&P, make sure you get the latest batch with the updated barrel design.

wats6831
10-24-2012, 08:58
I do. I went on another forum and glorified my 100% flawless Kahr CM9.

dakrat
10-24-2012, 09:11
I do. I went on another forum and glorified my 100% flawless Kahr CM9.

because it is the opposite of what is expected of it :tongueout:. see the norm here in Glocktalk is 100% working Glocks.

wats6831
10-24-2012, 09:12
because it is the opposite of what is expected of it :tongueout:

Really. Man I'm batting a 1,000 then because my Kahr works and my G19 doesn't. It's like BIZZARO WORLD :supergrin:

soggy_spinout
10-24-2012, 11:58
Rimshaker , thats just an obsolete comment. Depends on the hands.
Only kind of obsolete. Though quite a few like Glocks, most women I've shown M&Ps and Glocks back-to-back to at the shop do tend to prefer the Smiths over Glocks. Maybe it's how we grow them around here... ;)

dhgeyer
10-24-2012, 12:38
Really. Man I'm batting a 1,000 then because my Kahr works and my G19 doesn't. It's like BIZZARO WORLD :supergrin:

That was the exact experience I had when I got an early production G19 Gen4 and a Kahr CW9. I was expecting the Glock to be perfect out of the box, and the Kahr to need some "attention" to work at all. That was a year and a few months ago. I finally gave up and dumped the Glock (have since bought another one), and that Kahr just ran like a Swiss watch from day one.

If you take a look at the Kahr Talk forum, there is a lot lower percentage of "I have a problem" posts than on Glock Talk.

Constantine88
10-24-2012, 12:54
Glock 19 4th or 3rd Gen. Either way you can't go wrong. My 4th Gen G19 has never had an issue. It only did when I messed with it. Back to factory and it's perfect again.

Another vote for the G19

maestrogustav
10-24-2012, 18:37
HK P7

Chicks dig 'em

Just ask my ex.

She took my P7 and left the Calphalon.

Really strange: Every time I said "squeezecock" she said "No Way!!!"

Who woulda thunk it.

Thankyouverymuch. I'll be here all week.

me_etc
10-24-2012, 19:26
I personally had decided that the M&P 9c was the perfect 9mm for me, when i decided to try one more gun - the Glock 19. I actually found that I shot both of them really well. I was equally accurate with both. It came down to 2 things that made me go with the Glock.
1. Trigger reset - The M&P has no solid trigger reset. You actually need to fully release the trigger to be certain it resets between shots. There is noooo doubt on the Glock reset. I initially blew this off because I discovered there were aftermarket parts that could fix this in the M&P. And mind you, I had already decided the M&P was the perfect gun until I discovered the second thing.
2. Parts replacement cost and availability. M&P aftermarket parts are much more expensive and harder to find. 34 parts to a glock. All of them easy to find and much cheaper in comparison. There are 3 stores within 15 miles of me that carry all the glock 19 parts.

So I bought the Glock 19 and have not looked back with regrets. I have had no btfs. I feel for those that are having the issue. I've read much on the problem in case it begins, but I'm confident that if it does surface (as some have reported it occurring after 3,000 rds.) that, with a fair amount of confidence, I can handle swapping out the few inexpensive parts potentially involved. And that brings me to a third reason that has developed, after my purchase, as a contributing reason for Glock over M&P:

3. Information - There is a plethora of online forums, articles, and videos free of charge on how to deal with any issue you may come across, when it comes to Glocks. In case those aren't enough, there are dvds and books you can buy to learn how to completely tear down each and every part. When problems do occur for people, there are engineering minds on here that will do everything in their ocd-like powers to figure out how to solve an issue. I don't think a value could be placed on this. It far surpasses the cost of even a much more expensive firearm.

I understand not wanting the wife to get discouraged. To be sure that doesn't happen, you could be the one to fire the first 200 or so rounds to make sure there are no initial issues up front.

I can say with certainty that I was in a similar position, and the Glock 19 was the right choice for me.

SoonerDad
10-24-2012, 19:41
I personally had decided that the M&P 9c was the perfect 9mm for me, when i decided to try one more gun - the Glock 19. I actually found that I shot both of them really well. I was equally accurate with both. It came down to 2 things that made me go with the Glock.
1. Trigger reset - The M&P has no solid trigger reset. You actually need to fully release the trigger to be certain it resets between shots. There is noooo doubt on the Glock reset. I initially blew this off because I discovered there were aftermarket parts that could fix this in the M&P. And mind you, I had already decided the M&P was the perfect gun until I discovered the second thing.
2. Parts replacement cost and availability. M&P aftermarket parts are much more expensive and harder to find. 34 parts to a glock. All of them easy to find and much cheaper in comparison. There are 3 stores within 15 miles of me that carry all the glock 19 parts.

So I bought the Glock 19 and have not looked back with regrets. I have had no btfs. I feel for those that are having the issue. I've read much on the problem in case it begins, but I'm confident that if it does surface (as some have reported it occurring after 3,000 rds.) that, with a fair amount of confidence, I can handle swapping out the few inexpensive parts potentially involved. And that brings me to a third reason that has developed, after my purchase, as a contributing reason for Glock over M&P:

3. Information - There is a plethora of online forums, articles, and videos free of charge on how to deal with any issue you may come across, when it comes to Glocks. In case those aren't enough, there are dvds and books you can buy to learn how to completely tear down each and every part. When problems do occur for people, there are engineering minds on here that will do everything in their ocd-like powers to figure out how to solve an issue. I don't think a value could be placed on this. It far surpasses the cost of even a much more expensive firearm.

I understand not wanting the wife to get discouraged. To be sure that doesn't happen, you could be the one to fire the first 200 or so rounds to make sure there are no initial issues up front.

I can say with certainty that I was in a similar position, and the Glock 19 was the right choice for me.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The Glock 19 was my #1 choice (and the choice for my wife), but having to wait until November to make my purchase allowed me plenty of time to soak in all the bad reports about BTF.

I think my plan is to have my wife hold an M&P 9mm compact at the gun store, and see if she just falls in love with it. If not, we will get the 19 and hope for the best.

Thank you all for your advice.

-Eric

FatPants
10-24-2012, 20:00
I'm a Glock guy. Been shooting a 17 and a 24 in competitions for a few years, and I carry a 19.

One of my readers called me out for being a fan boy so I bought a M&P 9 Pro, and after I got the nasty trigger grit cleaned up, I've actually grown to like it. It's become my primary competition gun, and its run around 2k rounds so far without issue.

http://www.triangletactical.net/2012/09/28/sw-mp-pro-9mm-review/

I would highly suggest that you get your wife whatever quality handgun she likes best.

cciman
10-24-2012, 20:50
M&P: prettier, more comfortable to hold, harder to work on, less aftermarket options, many more parts, more complex, no "reset" feel on stock trigger, trigger work and parts are much more expensive, metal mag

Glock: first market successful polymer frame pistol that other companies followed to emulate and attempt to compete with. Sued S&W for patent infringement with the Sigma. Simplest handgun on the market, except for possibly the Sig P250 if you count the trigger assembly as "one" unit.

glock2740
10-24-2012, 21:16
Hey y'all...

Fairly new Glock owner here. Bought a used Gen 3 Glock 17 a couple of months ago and fell in love... That thing is an amazing piece of firearms technology. It does everything we expect from a Glock. Eats any ammo I give it and asks for more. I even did my first IPSC competition with it, and it was beautiful, man...

I get a nice bonus at the end of the month, and I'm ready to buy the wife one. She's shot my G17 a couple of times and she's digging it, too. We have our CCW class next month, so she will need a good carry weapon.

No problem.

Glock 19.

Problem solved.

So now I'm waiting 'till the beginning of November to buy her one. And I want her to have a new, unused weapon we can break in together, and both trust to defend her if the ***** hits the fan.

Except, the brass to the face thing is not acceptable.

She's amazing, but a few hot cases to her gorgeous face and she's liable to lose interest.

My local gun store has some Gen 3 G19's available, but some of you guys say that even the late model G3's are doing the same thing. I have enough skill to polish up the extractor (or replace it with a better aftermarket one) but have we settled on that being the true problem? Opinions seem to vary...

My local pawn shop has a used 9mm M&P for $429. An good option for now until Glock gets this figured out. They also have a couple USA made G19's (I know, right?)... Will I be ok with one of those?

I really think it's a good idea my wife carries... Her confidence level is just a bit tenuous right now, so I'm very concerned about the brass to the face thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric
I have Glocks and M&Ps. Both are great. BOOMER SOONER!!! :cool:

B_RAD
10-24-2012, 21:37
Had a Pro and a 9c. Had Loved the ergos. Just never bonded with the gun. That and I just couldn't shoot the Pro near as accurate as I wanted. I was shooting IDPA and never put in the time to work up a load. I just shot the load that worked for me w/my G34. Might give another one a try one day. Also, M&P mags are going to be more $ than Glock.

PAGunner
10-24-2012, 22:07
Also, M&P mags are going to be more $ than Glock.

I was given an extra mag for free with my M&Ps (3 mags per gun) and bought my extras for 20 bucks a mag. Are you trying to at you can find Glock mags cheaper than 20 a magazine???

NIB
10-24-2012, 22:47

Further, I've seen multiple slides ripped off during disarming drills, on at least 4 different guns- in just one day.

I like the grip, it fits my hand great, and it has a crisp trigger break- although I am not a fan of the jointed trigger safety.

For a gun I literally trust my life with, I'm glad I went with the Glock 22 (Gen4).

Prove it, or it didn't happen!!!

B_RAD
10-25-2012, 05:47
I was given an extra mag for free with my M&Ps (3 mags per gun) and bought my extras for 20 bucks a mag. Are you trying to at you can find Glock mags cheaper than 20 a magazine???

Just going off of what I see at stores and online. Glock mags are about $25 ($21 on midway right now) and M&P mags are about $33. If you're getting factory M&P mags for $20ish that's a good deal!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BuzznRose
10-25-2012, 06:16
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The Glock 19 was my #1 choice (and the choice for my wife), but having to wait until November to make my purchase allowed me plenty of time to soak in all the bad reports about BTF.

I think my plan is to have my wife hold an M&P 9mm compact at the gun store, and see if she just falls in love with it. If not, we will get the 19 and hope for the best.

Thank you all for your advice.

-Eric

I've been pretty hardcore Glock and own several 19 and 26's, but my 20 year old daughter's hands are very small and she hates shooting my Glocks, so I bought her an XDm 3.8 9MM compact and it is a sweet gun. Great ergonomics!

I too looked at the MP9C, but the XDM came with one 12 round and two 19 round mags plus a holster and double mag pouch, two extra 19 round mag sleeves, etc, for the same price. I'm replacing the holster and mag pouch, but it would work for a weekend IDPA match okay.

Something else to mentally chew on.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4-Fun
10-25-2012, 21:00
I have owned two M&P 9s. The first one was a 2010 model. The trigger was...well the only way to describe it was...sloppy. The accuracy was unacceptable.

I have a 2011 model M&P 40. I love it! It took around 500 rounds for the trigger to settle in. It does not have the tactile reset of the Glock, and the trigger breaks furter back in the travel than a Glock, however, the M&P handles the 40 S&W much better than a Glock in my IMHO.

The S&W trigger takes some getting used to. For what ever else one says about the Glock trigger...they are pretty consistant.

For what you described, I would stick with Glock.

I think Glock will get there stuff back together. It may be after November.

cowboy1964
10-25-2012, 23:09
$429 for a used M&P seems high. New is only $50 more usually.

David Frost
10-26-2012, 02:40

I've had zero malfunctions with any of my M&P pistols, including the .40 with the .40 barrel or the 9mm barrel and mags. If you want a 9mm, I prefer the G19. .40 or .45, I'll take an M&P.

bobandmikako
10-26-2012, 03:25
I had an M&P 40c. It was quite a bit snappier than my G23, and I couldn't get used to the M&P trigger. This is obviously a matter of personal preference though. It is a high-quality gun. The main reason I sold it was that it was much pickier with ammo than my G23. It had problems with a lot of the cheaper stuff while my Gen 3 G23 has fired everything, including Russian steel-cased ammo, without a single failure. The M&P 40c was 100% reliable with the SD ammo I tried though.

Kimura
10-26-2012, 12:21
If you can stand the trigger and want to roll the dice to see whether or not you get an accurate full size M&P9...go for it.

Otherwise, I'd look hard at the PPQ. Better trigger and it is known for being very accurate.

Except, the PPQ currently has almost no aftermarket support at this point. By this I mean available holsters and sights. And what's the availability of spare parts for this gun? This is one of the things that makes a Glock or a 1911 such a good choice. Parts are available everywhere and there's a lot of aftermarket support for these pistols, which means lots of choices.

Here's the thing though, there is no perfect pistol. Glock is having problems with the ejector/extractor on some guns. Predominantly the 9mm guns. Reportedly the Apex extractor works really well with the Gen 4 guns, but doesn't do much, if anything, for most of the Gen 3s that have problems. And of course it's not every gun, but if you get one that has problems, I'm sure it's a PITA. And of course, the problem can occur at anytime. Some people have it immediately, some don't encounter it until they've shot a few thousand rounds through the gun. Some never encounter it.

The M&P 9 has problems of its own. The accuracy problem is such a big deal because the only fix for it is the Storm Lake fitted barrel that G&R Tactical is currently offering. Right now though there's a long waiting list and I think they already ran through their first supply of barrels. The Apex/Bar-sto barrel isn't yet available and considering that the 9mm test barrels haven't even been delivered to Apex yet, it seems like it's going to be a long wait. Also, the one issue that doesn't get enough mention is the auto forward issue. The slide on these guns tends to auto forward when you insert a mag. And there's the trigger, which is best just replaced with an Apex unit.

There are other choices out there; HK, Sig, Beretta and CZ. And the 1911 should the discussion turn to .45acp. Each has its challenges.

My point is that there is no perfect pistol. They all have flaws. Shooting the pistol is part of the equation, but not all of it. The availability of spare parts and cost of those including mags. After market support and, quite honestly, deciding what possible flaws you can live with, all should go into the decision.

chief63
10-26-2012, 13:16
The PPQ is my favorite plastic gun. You pretty much have to order a hand made holster right now. I put P99 night sights on and they are POA. 17 round mags are available. Spare parts could be a near-term issue with the Walther/S&W breakup and Walther gets established in the US.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SoonerDad
10-26-2012, 18:28
UPDATE FROM ORIGINAL POSTER:

Once again, guys, thanks for all the thoughtful advice.

After all that, I was at the range today with my wife, and she held a 9mm M&P Compact out of the rental case.

We didn't even make it to the rental part.

She got her hands on it and said, "No... It's not me."

The guy handed her a G19, and she said "Yep. That's still the one."

Ok, then. Decision made. We get a Glock 19 and hope for the best... I'll keep you posted.

Once again, thank you all so much...

-Eric

Queen Bee
10-26-2012, 18:52
Congrats on buying my Favorite Glock model:)

if i had bought the 19 first , i wouldn't have bought the 17.

have her try a 26 after she gets used to the 19. i found that while i love carrying the 19 in fall / winter, i hated carrying it in summer, and moved back to my first gun i fell in love with.. the 26. which was bearable but still ended up buying something thinner, the S&W shield 9mm.

tnpatriot
10-26-2012, 20:01
don't pay attention to all the BS about brass to the face. Buy the GLOCK . 99.9% of em are OK