Genetically modified foods, safe or not? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Genetically modified foods, safe or not?

sombunya
10-22-2012, 21:13
I haven't been able to really pin down whether or not it is safe. My gut feeling says it is but I'd like some NO B.S. facts.

Here in the P.R.C. there is a ballot initiative concerning the labeling of such foods and I'm not sure how to vote. Hoping some folks here can offer insight.

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 21:25
I'm no biologist, but I'd imagine a steer that's bred to withstand extreme cold and long periods of drought from one parent whose breed can withstand extreme cold and another parent whose breed can withstand long periods of drought wouldn't be bad for you. And if they throw in a little fish or lizzard DNA to help that along, what's the danger? HH

inthefrey
10-22-2012, 21:36
Good question. All the evidence is not in yet.

However, as far as vegies are concerned, the plant is the base protein for life. Without a plant, life could not exist on this planet. Screwing around with billions of years of adaptation to produce an "enhanced" vegetable scares me a little. As far as micro-biology and genetic alterations to produce "enhanced" or modified complex proteins (meats, etc), worries me a whole lot more. Any change to the DNA of a complex life form to produce an "enhanced" version, could make it vunerable and also be the host, for any number of natural bad guys that could also use that modified DNA to produce a deadly bacteria or virus. Yes, this scares me. Eating it is a completely differenty issue.

But this is all just ME being too careful I guess.

.264 magnum
10-22-2012, 21:42
I'm no biologist, but I'd imagine a steer that's bred to withstand extreme cold and long periods of drought from one parent whose breed can withstand extreme cold and another parent whose breed can withstand long periods of drought wouldn't be bad for you. And if they throw in a little fish or lizzard DNA to help that along, what's the danger? HH

I draw the line at lizard in my beef as well!

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 21:43
The fact that we have corn and soy that can't reproduce without paid permission from Monsanto and ADM is more of a concern. HH

TK-421
10-22-2012, 21:44
It's been going on for years, it hasn't killed us yet. I'm sure it's perfectly safe. Look at what Monsanto has been doing, they've been modifying plants since the 80's, it's not like it's anything new.

WayaX
10-22-2012, 21:51
The fact that we have corn and soy that can't reproduce without paid permission from Monsanto and ADM is more of a concern. HH

This is what bothers me, big time.

The methods used to create GMO foods are safe. Occasionally there is an odd quirk, like an over-expressed disease resistance protein causes an allergic reaction in a very, very small portion of the population.

The Monsanto thing, however, bugs the crap out of me. Farmers have had to destroy whole crops that have accidentally mingled with Monsanto's product. It's the same way with companies trying to patent human genes. I cannot stand Monsanto, but it seems whatever you do, you cannot get away from their products. I try to support local growers whenever I can, even at a higher cost.

*ASH*
10-22-2012, 22:02
organic or genetically enhanced food is not better for you period.in some cases not as good .

The Monsanto crap gets tiring . not at all what people think

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 22:04
organic or genetically enhanced food is not better for you period.in some cases not as good .

Not as good as what? HH

*ASH*
10-22-2012, 22:05
Not as good as what? HH

not as good as good ole old school dirt grown veggies or meat

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 22:09
not as good as good ole old school dirt grown veggies or meat

Organic? It doesn't get more "...good ole old school dirt grown" than that... HH

*ASH*
10-22-2012, 22:11
Organic? It doesn't get more "...good ole old school dirt grown" than that... HH

what im saying is organic , no pesticides no nothing is not any better then fertilized , sprayed , pest control food

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/03/news/la-heb-is-organic-food-better-20120831

one of thousands of studies that refute organic is better for you

i farm for a living i have grown both ways . YMMV

jame
10-22-2012, 22:12
The Monsanto thing, however, bugs the crap out of me. Farmers have had to destroy whole crops that have accidentally mingled with Monsanto's product.

Here we go again….

I'll keep it simple this time.

Prove it. Give me a case number. Give me an honest to God, legitimate example of when and where this has happened.

No "he said/she said" crap. Real true, factual stuff.

Begin.

WayaX
10-22-2012, 22:14
what im saying is organic , no pesticides no nothing is not any better then fertilized , sprayed , pest control food

Actually, pesticides can indeed be harmful. Many pesticides and herbicides are approved without a full study of impact on people and environment.

WayaX
10-22-2012, 22:17
Here we go again….

Prove it. Give me a case number. Give me an honest to God, legitimate example of when and where this has happened.

Begin.

Here you go: Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser

*ASH*
10-22-2012, 22:17
Actually, pesticides can indeed be harmful. Many pesticides and herbicides are approved without a full study of impact on people and environment.

that is true statement , just as the statement " alot of pesticides and fertilizer and herbicides are not .

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 22:19

It isn't any better. You said it wasn't as good...that's all. HH

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 22:22
Here we go again….

Begin.

This is a good start, but I'm guessing that your location of Iowa indicates you already knew this. HH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/28/AR2009112802471.html

jame
10-22-2012, 22:25
Here you go: Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser

Read it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc._v._Schmeiser

He was growing seed for commercial resale as seed for replant. Not as grain or oil seed. He was in direct competition with Monsanto, and he was trying to take advantage of Monsanto's efforts. This is no "farmer". He's in the seed business.

I'll give you a B for effort, but I was really hoping for something from USA case law.

*ASH*
10-22-2012, 22:26
its like during strawberry season every thursday we drive to small town near here to sell at local farm market . everything sold there has to be organic or non sprayed . im talking big hippie town , we get asked all the time ? do you use pesticides or fertilizer ??" atleast 20 times that day .

then we explain nothing touches the berries but water and sun SO we technically cant say organic . but we do underground fertilizers . and god forbid you break out a plastic bag

jame
10-22-2012, 22:42
This is a good start, but I'm guessing that your location of Iowa indicates you already knew this. HH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/28/AR2009112802471.html

Know…..hell I live it. We're grain farmers here in central Iowa and we grow seed for Monsanto as well as Syngenta (DuPont).

The face of American agriculture has changed from the Mom, Pop, and kids farm of the 40's and 50's. This is business. Big business. And we're just little guys.

Yeah, the price has gone up, but so has production, so it pencils out. We produce a good product that tests out well, we're small business, under pressing government regulations, and we're still profitable. No denials, no ill intent, and it's how all midwest agriculture works.

mhambi
10-22-2012, 22:53
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-peer-reviewed-lifetime-feeding-trial-finds-safe-levels-of-gm-maize-and-roundup-can-cause-tumors-and-multiple-organ-damage-170315086.html

It'll be interesting to see what further studies bring...

9jeeps
10-23-2012, 00:28
People have been genetically engineering plants AND animals since Adam and Eve days....
Get over it. Someone pass the peas, taters, and gravy!!!! ; Sheesh.

Detectorist
10-23-2012, 02:09
I think it's very safe. it's so funny that so many folks hate Monsanto without any reason.

I've been eating genetically modified grain for years with no bad side effects at all...

That is, except the pesky ear growing on my forehead. No big deal. It helps my hearing.

Arc Angel
10-23-2012, 04:24
:wow: The genuine human stupidity and lack of prerequisite information demonstrated, so far, in this thread amazes me! Perhaps true knowledge and understanding really are, 'gifts from God'. You either possess this sort of personal motivation and comprehension, and have access to the requisite information, or you don't. :freak:

schild
10-23-2012, 04:44
I prefer my food not to be "Round-Up Ready".

wmodavis
10-23-2012, 07:56
Here is an interesting on the topic by someone credible IMO stating interesting info about the French GMO test and more.
http://www.jonbarron.org/natural-health/health-odds-absolutes-newsletter?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Jon%20Barron&utm_content=Biweekly+Newsletter+10%2F22%2F12

droidfire
10-23-2012, 08:12
I'm hoping for an extra arm with a working hand.

keyboard and mouse at the same time, sip a drink while turning a page of a book i'm holding, etc...

Probably end up with a genetic disposition towards a dislike of foods that aren't derived from the base product, maybe even a dependency after a few generations or so.

That's about the score of what I want versus what I get when I place complete control of something into the hands of others and play a game where you don't know the rules.

You always win if you're the only one who knows the rules, and it's nice to see some discussion of them.

sombunya
10-23-2012, 19:19
A couple of those links were interesting, but I guess I'll keep looking around bit more for an answer to this difficult question.

Thanks all.

stevelyn
10-23-2012, 19:23
I see genetic modification as accelerated evolution. As for it's effects on humans who consume GM foods we will probably have to wait a couple of generations to do a fair comparison.

CanMan
10-23-2012, 19:31
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPXkzlTGJIpQlR4gkobGC_93PqntGTnrC4W4USMqkXTc78LY7BKw

No worries!

WayaX
10-24-2012, 16:51
I see genetic modification as accelerated evolution. As for it's effects on humans who consume GM foods we will probably have to wait a couple of generations to do a fair comparison.

This is how I view it as well. We have been genetically engineering food since the beginning of farming, just like we've been breeding animals. The techniques have just changed.

As far as telling if GMO foods are harmful? There are so many other harmful trends and additives in our diet that the potential problems with GMO food ranks relatively low on a list of "foods to avoid".

SevenSixtyTwo
10-24-2012, 17:06
After reading the ingredients in my lunch sandwich today, http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Detail/ChickfilA-Chargrilled-Chicken-Sandwich#?details=ingredients I'm more concerned with that than genetically modified food. If we really want to eat healthy, we need to start liking meal worms and crickets instead of red meat and fat back. We already eat fish and sea crustaceans. You try one first.

shotgunred
10-24-2012, 18:31
Are you dead yet? You have been eating it for years. As a matter of fact food like corn you have no choice.

Andy123
10-24-2012, 18:45
In regards to safety only, leaving aside the business practices and horrible court rulings, the fear of gmo crops is food allergies.

Say that you eat corn all the time, and you are not allergic, suddenly your corn contains a new protein, now it may trigger an allergic reaction.

If you google star corn, you may find some interesting background on this.