Scholarship winner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship winner

Colt452zigzag28
10-22-2012, 23:59
Hey all,

Kinda wondering if departments take into consideration former scholarship winners from the past into their rankings?

I recently tested for a department in which my sister and I both were awarded scholarships our senior year of High School. I did not walk into the tests telling people that I had won a scholarship but I also feel like it will help my chances if I am scheduled for an interview... I am not the kind of person who goes around being arrogant thinking that my chances are increased to get hired because of the fact but just thinking it could better my chances.

What do you guys think??

blueiron
10-23-2012, 00:23
It would mean nothing where I worked, nor would a degree endorsement - summa cum laude.

razdog76
10-23-2012, 06:38
Hiring agencies that have developed a set competitive hiring system cannot stray from that process to determine a hiring list... it may factor in if you were tied in the process, if you used it to go to school and finished your degree, or if a panel awarded points based on your interview, and one or more of the interviewers liked that quality.

Most applications I have filled out have a section that asks about awards.

Patchman
10-23-2012, 08:10
^^^^ What 'dog said.

Usually the larger agencies will have their process all spelled out (you get X extra point(s) for military, and (maybe) Y points for residence) and cannot deviate from that. And their applications/background checks don't even have space to list such achievements.

On the other hand, smaller agencies (and their interview board) may have more latitude in considering such things, especially if the application asks about them.

Hoser423
10-23-2012, 09:03
THE very same dept. you are applying for provided you a scholarship ??? Cool.
It wouldn't mean much anywhere else, and it won't matter at the application and written stage. If you get to the interview stage, definitely find a way to sneak that in, cause I think it will be a big plus with that department.

"Committed to bettering myself and my skills" "Appreciate the opportunity I was blessed with... " "Give back to the community " Yadda yadda yadda

DaBigBR
10-23-2012, 13:37
List it in the appropriate place on the application. Won't hurt.

RussP
10-23-2012, 13:47
What did you do with the scholarship that would make you a better candidate, someone who would benefit the department?

Colt452zigzag28
10-24-2012, 00:52
Well I used it towards my first year in College in which I got a 4.0 gpa my first semester there... Kinda went downhill from there and Ended with a 3.4 overall.

I was VERY Excited to see that the department was hiring because since I graduated High School they had only put 2 on. Soo looking forward to the Interview..

Also went to High School with the Police Chief's Children. So thinking maybe the who you know aspect might be good enough to at least grant me an interview...Again depending on where I rank in the List. They are looking to hire on 1 if not 2 more by Jan. Hoping I will be one of those two but still looking and testing elsewhere due to my experience of not placing high enough on lists. We shall see where this goes.

blueiron
10-24-2012, 12:50
Scholarships are fine, but what was it based on?

Athletic ability? Academics? Race? Military experience? Social programs? Non traditional student status? Major emphasis? Random award?

Some require effort, others are based solely on circumstance and life choices. There is no direct and clear correlation between academic excellence and career success as a police officer that I am aware of. These are the reasons that we did not consider them in selection of recruits.

The question posed by RussP is a superb distillation of what a hiring board is going to ask you. Contemplate this question carefully and have a cogent and well considered answer that expresses your professional exceptionalism.

blueiron
10-24-2012, 12:53
Also went to High School with the Police Chief's Children. So thinking maybe the who you know aspect might be good enough to at least grant me an interview...

This is merely a random circumstance and is not a qualification factor.

Do you really want to work at a place that hires based [solely or partially] on this? You shouldn't.

CanIhaveGasCash
10-24-2012, 15:09
I received a number of scholarships, some I had to work for, others I didn't.

In all the hiring processes that I have been a part of, whether or not a candidate was a scholarship recipient did not factor into our decisions. College transcripts and extra curricular activities did play a part.

Also, knowing the Chief's kids shouldn't count for squat, and you shouldn't even think about mentioning it.

RussP
10-24-2012, 16:00
Also, knowing the Chief's kids shouldn't count for squat, and you shouldn't even think about mentioning it.:cool:

razdog76
10-24-2012, 16:20
Also, knowing the Chief's kids shouldn't count for squat, and you shouldn't even think about mentioning it.

It shouldn't, but in my experience it is a sweet way of getting a position in the Defective division and/or other admin positions, and garnering the respect and admiration of all other Patrol Officers. :whistling:

blueiron
10-24-2012, 18:39
It shouldn't, but in my experience it is a sweet way of getting a position in the Defective division and/or other admin positions, and garnering the respect and admiration of all other Patrol Officers. :whistling:

Hiring and promoting are different issues.

So I need to repost about the Detroit chief of police and his IA investigator? :eyebrow:

razdog76
10-24-2012, 20:47

So I need to repost about the Detroit chief of police and his IA investigator? :eyebrow:

In some places, your destiny is already written by the time you walk through the door on the first day. :upeyes:

DaBigBR
10-24-2012, 21:39
I received a number of scholarships, some I had to work for, others I didn't.

In all the hiring processes that I have been a part of, whether or not a candidate was a scholarship recipient did not factor into our decisions. College transcripts and extra curricular activities did play a part.

Plus, if a person "really" knows the Chief's kids, the Chief shouldn't need to be told as such.