AR-15 Full Auto BCG In Stock Anywhere? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Full Auto BCG In Stock Anywhere?

III_M1KE_III
10-23-2012, 01:20
Has anyone been able to find any full auto AR-15 bolt carrier groups in stock?

The ONLY Auto BCG I can find in stock appears to be Bravo Company's. I am very fond of BCM and their products, however, I don't own a BCM rifle and find the BCM logo on the BCG to be a bit annoying. Seems, however, this is the only BCG in stock ANYWHERE.

Please let me know if you guys know of any sources.

NOTE: I'm currently running LMT Auto BCG's on my other riflles.

mvician
10-23-2012, 01:39
http://core15rifles.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=116&category_id=23&redirected=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=103

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/m16-bolt-carrier-group.html

Cole125
10-23-2012, 11:33
Brownells has Daniel Defense chrome BCGs in stock. I recently ordered one and its top notch, worth the extra for the chrome because its much easier to clean.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/ar-15-m16-bolt-carrier-groups-prod27650.aspx

FatBoy
10-23-2012, 13:48

The ONLY Auto BCG I can find in stock appears to be Bravo Company's. I am very fond of BCM and their products, however, I don't own a BCM rifle and find the BCM logo on the BCG to be a bit annoying. Seems, however, this is the only BCG in stock ANYWHERE.

Wow, first I have seen that someone wants anything but a BCM. Usually people are complaining about then being them not being in stock.
Anyhow, PSA had them on sale this weekend for $129 and it seems that PKF has a few in stock... http://www.pkfirearms.com/Bolt_Assemblies/26/c

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 13:56
A semi-auto will work fine as well. I have semi-auto carriers in a couple of rifles and if I handed it to you to shoot you couldn't tell me what kind of carrier is in the rifle. I have no reliability issues with any of them.

Everyone thinks they have to have a full auto carrier because you aren't tacticool unless you do. Really doesn't make .05 difference in anything. The very small difference in weight between the two versions isn't enough to matter.

smokin762
10-23-2012, 14:06

Usually, Iím too busy concentrating on the front sight rather than noticing logos. I also keep the dust cover closed when I am not shooting. :whistling::supergrin:

I bought a BCM BCG for my rifle and carbine 2 years ago. I have been very happy with them. They work great.

Cole125
10-23-2012, 16:56
A semi-auto will work fine as well. I have semi-auto carriers in a couple of rifles and if I handed it to you to shoot you couldn't tell me what kind of carrier is in the rifle. I have no reliability issues with any of them.

Everyone thinks they have to have a full auto carrier because you aren't tacticool unless you do. Really doesn't make .05 difference in anything. The very small difference in weight between the two versions isn't enough to matter.

+1 You don't need a full auto BCG in your AR, it does not offer any advantages over semi auto. Ask anyone who has been in the AR world for a long time and they will tell you the same thing.

SNH Glocks
10-23-2012, 17:17
Brownells has Daniel Defense chrome BCGs in stock. I recently ordered one and its top notch, worth the extra for the chrome because its much easier to clean.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/ar-15-m16-bolt-carrier-groups-prod27650.aspx

The link is for a semi auto carrier. The OP was looking for a full auto BCG.

WoodenPlank
10-23-2012, 17:22

It makes a difference in SBRs. I learned that the hard way.

TNGlockman
10-23-2012, 18:26
I've got one for sale in the classifieds... :whistling:

johnson8861
10-23-2012, 19:09
Why does anyone need a M16/M4 bolt carrier group? I'm not entirely sure that it is not considered part of a machine gun, thus you would have an illegal machine gun.

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 19:45
It makes a difference in SBRs. I learned that the hard way.

Not in my 10.5 LMT it doesn't...

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 19:47
Why does anyone need a M16/M4 bolt carrier group? I'm not entirely sure that it is not considered part of a machine gun, thus you would have an illegal machine gun.

This is internet cabbage so old and smelly its sauerkraut.

Not true. Don't worry about it.

bigmoney890
10-23-2012, 19:51

The ONLY part that makes a gun a machine gun is the full auto sear. Nothing more, nothing less.

Made in Austria
10-23-2012, 20:00

Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled. Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA. An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.

TucsonGlocker
10-23-2012, 20:34
Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled. Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA. An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.

:perfect10:

WoodenPlank
10-23-2012, 20:35
The ONLY part that makes a gun a machine gun is the full auto sear. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not always the case. With AR/M4/M16, having any of the fire control parts (ie: hammer, sear, safety, disconnector, and maybe trigger) without a legit FA lower is a no-no. The bolt carrier is Ok, though.

III_M1KE_III
10-23-2012, 20:38
http://core15rifles.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=116&category_id=23&redirected=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=103

Semi-auto.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/m16-bolt-carrier-group.html

Cool thanks!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

III_M1KE_III
10-23-2012, 20:39

I prefer the added weight for carbine length. Just a personal preference.

III_M1KE_III
10-23-2012, 20:51

Comment removed to save myself from tremendous embarrasment!

mjkeat
10-23-2012, 20:53
BCMs are in stock

III_M1KE_III
10-23-2012, 20:58
Sweet! You the man! My 3rd AR build is back on track. Thank you sir.

Wow, first I have seen that someone wants anything but a BCM. Usually people are complaining about then being them not being in stock.
Anyhow, PSA had them on sale this weekend for $129 and it seems that PKF has a few in stock... http://www.pkfirearms.com/Bolt_Assemblies/26/c

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 21:00
By this logic the barrel is also a part that enables the construction of a full auto machine gun and would be illegal.

An M16 BCG merely has more mass where it contacts the buffer so as to reinforce the carrier during full auto mode. An AR-15 semi auto BCG also works in an M16, but from use in the field was found to be susceptible to mechanical failure and later upgraded to the M16 version. There is little-to-no price difference between both versions. I prefer the added mass of the M16 BCG for use in carbine length gas rifles.

Not really. The M16 bolt has a little longer portion of metal on the underside of the bolt carrier that interacts with the M16 trigger mechanism. The slightly longer bottom metal trips the auto sear on a full auto trigger group allowing it to automatically fire subsequent shots when the trigger is held down in full auto mode. The back of the bolt that comes in contact with the buffer are identical on both versions. There are no structural advantages one way or the other.

chemcmndr
10-23-2012, 21:10

+1 You don't need a full auto BCG in your AR, it does not offer any advantages over semi auto. Ask anyone who has been in the AR world for a long time and they will tell you the same thing.

It makes a difference if you own or have access to a registered M16 or RDIAS. For that you would need a FA BCG. After I missed on the opportunity to run my 11.5" upper on a friend's M16 because I had an AR-15 BCG, I said 'never again' and from that point forward, all I build with is M16 carriers. Colt supplies them with all of their rifles when you buy them. (Heck, I've even seen a NIB Colt 9mm come with an unmodified M16 hammer installed).

III_M1KE_III
10-23-2012, 21:11
I do believe you're right. I swear I read this somewhere, but it appears I am 100% WRONG. Good call and thank you for educating me.

Not really. The M16 bolt has a little longer portion of metal on the underside of the bolt carrier that interacts with the M16 trigger mechanism. The slightly longer bottom metal trips the auto sear on a full auto trigger group allowing it to automatically fire subsequent shots when the trigger is held down in full auto mode. The back of the bolt that comes in contact with the buffer are identical on both versions. There are no structural advantages one way or the other.

WoodenPlank
10-23-2012, 21:13
It makes a difference if you own or have access to a registered M16 or RDIAS. For that you would need a FA BCG. After I missed on the opportunity to run my 11.5" upper on a friend's M16 because I had an AR-15 BCG, I said 'never again' and from that point forward, all I build with is M16 carriers. Colt supplies them with all of their rifles when you buy them. (Heck, I've even seen a NIB Colt 9mm come with an unmodified M16 hammer installed).

I've seen the same thing, and it was quite disconcerting to find that hammer in the lower.

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 21:16

No argument there. A full auto papered gun requires a full auto bolt carrier. But nobody is going to be building one of those any more will they?

Colt DOES NOT supply full auto bolts on all their rifles. Please look inside a Lightweight Sporter then next time you can. You will find they use a SP1 bolt carrier which is even lighter than a standard AR15 BCG...

FWIW the difference in weight between a M16 and an AR15 BCG is typically less than a half an ounce. Its not enough to matter. You will get bigger weight variation than that in Full auto or Semi-auto carrier weights from various manufacturers.

If you really need the extra weight to slow down your bolt you will be MUCH better off buying a heavier buffer and extra power spring. Now we are talking variations of several ounces vs. less than a ounce between full and semi-auto carriers.

FWIW.

chemcmndr
10-24-2012, 18:34
I've seen the same thing, and it was quite disconcerting to find that hammer in the lower.

I think the reason they did it was because of the issues of the notched AR-15 hammers catching on the 9mm carrier. I'm sure Colt also felt safer doing it because I remember the lower having the sear block in the back. Also, I'm sure it's cheaper to just pirate M16 parts from their stocks for government contracts than it is to produce a small batch of 9mm hammers.

No argument there. A full auto papered gun requires a full auto bolt carrier. But nobody is going to be building one of those any more will they?

Colt DOES NOT supply full auto bolts on all their rifles. Please look inside a Lightweight Sporter then next time you can. You will find they use a SP1 bolt carrier which is even lighter than a standard AR15 BCG...

FWIW.

No, they won't unless they have an 07/02 SOT. But I do know people that put together uppers and have dedicated BCG's to go with each one, so if you have one registered lower, you would need multiple BCG's if you were going to play "musical uppers".

I've heard that Colt has had semi carriers in some of their rifles, I've just never seen it. In the small handful of Colt's I have opened up, they have all had M16 carriers in them and a sear block, or they were actual M16's.

WoodenPlank
10-24-2012, 18:53

FWIW the difference in weight between a M16 and an AR15 BCG is typically less than a half an ounce. Its not enough to matter. You will get bigger weight variation than that in Full auto or Semi-auto carrier weights from various manufacturers.

If you really need the extra weight to slow down your bolt you will be MUCH better off buying a heavier buffer and extra power spring. Now we are talking variations of several ounces vs. less than a ounce between full and semi-auto carriers.

FWIW.

Except carrier mass is fully in play during the bolt unlocking, long before the action spring and (to a lesser extent) the buffer can really make much difference.

Also, many semi carriers have unshrouded firing pin channels, which is less than ideal, and can contribute to additional wear and tear. In most applications, a shrouded, semi-auto carrier will work fine, but a fully shrouded and FA carrier is a better choice.

Chem: The Colt 9mm I saw also had a sear block installed.