AH AMERICA! The litigation-society we live in! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AH AMERICA! The litigation-society we live in!

Airborne Infantryman
10-23-2012, 06:41
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/23/monster-lawsuit-idUSL1E8LMJPN20121023

AH AMERICA!

The only place where you can become a millionaire by suing someone for your own ignorance.

A family of a 14 year old girl is suing Monster (energy drink) because their 14-year old with a heart condition drank two cans over two days, and died.

If her parents were worth a ****, they'd have realized what she was drinking, and stopped her.

Now, due to the litigation-society we live in, her parents will become millionaires, and people all over the U.S. will be further reassured that its ALWAYS someone else's fault, and to just sue companies.

I have a proposition- take every single warning/danger/caution label off of EVERYTHING. Let people starting dying off. You'll be left with either the really lucky ones, or the smart ones. The really lucky ones will die off eventually....

SC Tiger
10-23-2012, 07:07
"The two drinks together contained 480 milligrams of caffeine, the equivalent of 14 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola, according to the lawsuit."

Christ Almighty that is a lot of caffine.

I don't know how anyone drinks those (especially the 24 oz ones) but a 14 year old should know that she cannot have them, assuming she knew she had a heart condition (ie it wasn't found post-mortem).

I have had one of the Red Bull Cola drinks (after staying up nearly a week when my MIL was in the hospital) but I couldn't drink them on a regular basis. I know people who do though.

I do not think they should be sold in schools.

MtBaldy
10-23-2012, 07:38
"The two drinks together contained 480 milligrams of caffeine, the equivalent of 14 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola, according to the lawsuit."

Over 2 days? Not really.

A strong cup of drip coffee may contain up to 175 mg of caffeine. I drink 2 or 3 of those a day. Vivarin contains 200 mg of caffeine and a dose is 2. The kid had no business drinking it at 14 even if she didn't have a heart condition. Parents are at fault here but they'll probably collect big.

racerford
10-23-2012, 08:14

I don't know how anyone drinks those (especially the 24 oz ones) but a 14 year old should know that she cannot have them, assuming she knew she had a heart condition (ie it wasn't found post-mortem).

I have had one of the Red Bull Cola drinks (after staying up nearly a week when my MIL was in the hospital) but I couldn't drink them on a regular basis. I know people who do though.

I do not think they should be sold in schools.

My 6 and 8 year old children know they are not allowed to have them.

14 12 oz cans of Coke in a day is nothing. I don't think that would even keep me awake an extra hour.

If her parents knew that she had a heart condition that was sensitive to caffeine, they should have kept her away from all caffeine.

raven11
10-23-2012, 08:43
my mother has a recently diagnosed Heart Condition. and the doctor made it absolutely clear to the whole family that too much caffeine will kill her. I'm not saying the teenager had the same heart condition that my mother had but i'm assuming she had to know but ignored the risk and drank them anyways

skinny99
10-23-2012, 09:14
"The lawsuit, filed by her parents, said Fournier died from "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity" that complicated an existing heart valve condition related to a disorder called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome."

So your daughter has a bad heart and you allow her to drink a beverage that is designed to provide stimulation? And this is the manufacturer's fault? Really? :whistling:

I know it is a bit callous but it really the girls fault. She was 14, not 6 she knew better. If she didn't know then it was the doctor and her parents fault, not the drink company.

You have to have some personal responsibility for your own life. At some point you are the only person that will!

pizza_pablo
10-23-2012, 11:59
I have a proposition- take every single warning/danger/caution label off of EVERYTHING. Let people starting dying off. You'll be left with either the really lucky ones, or the smart ones. The really lucky ones will die off eventually....
^^ THIS^^
My lawnmower had a warning sticker that warned against grabbing it, by the deck, and using it to clip hedges.
¡Someone really did that?!
:upeyes:

el_jewapo
10-23-2012, 13:23
I've got a couple observations.

First, I doubt the drink played as big of a hand in her death as they make on.

I'm going to stray away from the standard Glocktalk stupidity witch hunt for the second point. I'm sure I'll get flamed for it.

If the drinks did play a big part in her death, 2 drinks in 2 days? WTF? Heart condition or no heart condition, that's crazy. That stuff should be over by the medication, not by the Mountain Dew. That's about it, flame away.

Dragoon189
10-23-2012, 13:55

a pregnant woman can safely ingest 200 mg in a day. 300 mg is the recommended max dose an adult can have. That is not an overdose, just the max benefits before problems start (ie jitters, heart rate increase). 2 cans in 24 hours is not unsafe for the general populace, just unhealthy, and the lawsuit is bull ****. I have had that much caffeine by noon let alone 2 days. The parents failed their jobs as parents raising their kids and they should be ashamed of themselves.

There are warnings against people with sensitivities and should be thrown out on appeal, but monster probably settled to keep it out of the news.

Dragoon189
10-23-2012, 13:57

I'm going to stray away from the standard Glocktalk stupidity witch hunt for the second point. I'm sure I'll get flamed for it.

If the drinks did play a big part in her death, 2 drinks in 2 days? WTF? Heart condition or no heart condition, that's crazy. That stuff should be over by the medication, not by the Mountain Dew. That's about it, flame away.

you sound like New York City :tongueout:

Taphius
10-24-2012, 01:31
I drink over a gram of caffine a day....

crystal light energy packets are my vice, but they let me sleep at night

jp3975
10-24-2012, 03:03
I hope they dont get a dime and Monster counter sues for legal fees.

I guess they'd sue Folgers if the girl drank coffee? Or a fast food place if she was allergic to peanut oil and they knew they used peanut oil?

cgwahl
10-24-2012, 03:22
Worked with a guy that would drink at least 6 of those things a day. I probably shouldn't talk though since I drink more coffee than I should.

NeverMore1701
10-24-2012, 03:33
I've done three or four a day when switching from day to night 12s and vice versa, good stuff!

Oh, and the parents are retarded.

Random
10-24-2012, 11:48
14 12 oz cans of Coke in a day is nothing. I don't think that would even keep me awake an extra hour.

Ha ha. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Two 2-liters a day was my norm. Got to the point where I had to drink Coke to help myself get to sleep.

....Then in Feb... 22 kidney stones.:wow: Still got 15 of those bad boys in there somewhere.
Drink as much as you want, just remember to also drink a little water now and then.

CanMan
10-24-2012, 12:23
I bet they'll stop by McDonalds to console themselves, spill hot coffee on their nether regions, sue agian & settle for a measly 500k. The parents are dolts! Sympathy for the little girl.

or;

Maybe they're dolts and they were tired of taking care of a child with a medical condition?

FCastle88
10-24-2012, 16:09

2 energy drinks in 2 days is nothing. I work night shift, and I've had 2-3 of the 16oz Monsters in one day a few times when I didn't have time to sleep, plus Crystal Light energy packets every night at work. Sometimes all of that can just barely keep me awake. Plenty of people drink 4-5 cups of coffee or more a day, 8 ounces of most brewed coffees contains over 100mg of caffeine. A 16oz Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks coffee has more caffeine than a 16oz Monster.

I heard about this on the radio the other day, they were trying to make a big deal about a couple people dying after supposedly drinking several energy drinks. A couple people dying is a tragic fluke, not a health/safety problem. As popular as Monster and other energy drinks are, if they were unsafe there would be thousands of people dying after drinking them, not just a couple.

Johnspark
10-24-2012, 16:16
They'll settle out of court, sign the no fault clause, and walk away with a comfy check.