very disappointed Military Service / Age not allowed to apply [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : very disappointed Military Service / Age not allowed to apply

AWMP
10-23-2012, 09:32
Dropping my retirement paperwork this coming May with final date to be about 8-9 months later and just found out that since I'm past 45 years old I'm not allowed to apply for most of the police departments in my area where my house is. (Salado Texas)

There is a state law that states if the deparment is civil service you are not allowed to apply if you are older than 45 years old.

Twenty six years of Active Duty and I can't apply because I will be 47 at the time of retirement.

Very disappointing.

akapennypincher
10-23-2012, 10:21
Dropping my retirement paperwork this coming May with final date to be about 8-9 months later and just found out that since I'm past 45 years old I'm not allowed to apply for most of the police departments in my area where my house is. (Salado Texas)

There is a state law that states if the deparment is civil service you are not allowed to apply if you are older than 45 years old.

Twenty six years of Active Duty and I can't apply because I will be 47 at the time of retirement.

Very disappointing.

That is weird, as a friend's daughter had 55 y/o rookie in her LAPD Academy Class.

GlockEm
10-23-2012, 10:23
I don't believe there is a state law that covers civil service sheriffs' offices as far as age limits are concerned. You may want to look into working as a deputy sheriff.

RocPO
10-23-2012, 10:36
Also, check if military time comes off your age. I know in NY, you're allowed 4 years of military time to come off. Ex: Age cutoff here is 35. However, if you're prior military, you're allowed to take off up to 4 years of active duty time. Thus, military applicants can be 39

RyanNREMTP
10-23-2012, 10:52
Apply at the departments that are not civil service. I believe most of them in the area are not. Check the TML website for postings.

This post translated from Morse Code was made possible from donations from viewers like you.

Bren
10-23-2012, 11:31
My old department had a lieutenant go through the academy while in his 60's, the the PD dropped out of the training program, then returned and he did it again (in his 60's both times).

OP - try another state. Unfortuantely, this is the result of letting the state get too involved in local government agencies, much like the feds getting too involved in your state. I complained about it years ago, when they were discussing making the state academy mandatory for all police in KY and the things I said have come true, with the state telling you who you can or cannot hire. (I now work for the part of state government that is responsible for that)

Cochese
10-23-2012, 11:34
Go work as a deputy constable. Awesome retirement job. Or find a position as a deputy sheriff with a non CS department.

AWMP
10-23-2012, 12:07
I called one of the departments I was interested in and she said Military service did not matter since it was a civil service requirement. I then called my Texas State Representatives Office and they told me the same thing. They said that is a law they are looking into.

I'm going to look into other departments as well.

I always thought it should be the best qualified and never thought my age would be a descriminator.

SAR
10-23-2012, 12:14
If you are willing to re-locate, there are states that do not have an age restriction. Ironically, the military also has an age restriction, so if I were to try and enlist when I retire from the PD, I would be out of luck. Some of the restrictions are because of current pension plans and the way they are written.

blueiron
10-23-2012, 14:24
Arizona has no age restriction. Plenty of 20+ year vets get hired.

CJStudent
10-23-2012, 15:17

Same in KY, though that's a long ways from where you're at right now.

Bren
10-23-2012, 15:44
Same in KY, though that's a long ways from where you're at right now.

But we have better gun laws, too.

CJStudent
10-23-2012, 16:25

Very true!

blueiron
10-23-2012, 16:29

Arizona has better gun laws. Kentucky, sadly, has better bourbon. :crying:

Love me some Maker's Mark!

AWMP
10-23-2012, 17:02
Was really hoping to stay home after retirement. Selling my house is a tough on right now. I was sent the law.
Sec. 143.023. ELIGIBILITY FOR BEGINNING POSITION. (a) A person may not take an entrance examination for a beginning position in the police department unless the person is at least 18 years of age. A person may not take an entrance examination for a beginning position in the fire department unless the person is at least 18 years of age but not 36 years of age or older.

(b) A person may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position in a fire department if the person is 36 years of age or older.

(c) A person who is 45 years of age or older may not be certified for a beginning position in a police department.

(d) An applicant may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position with a fire department unless the applicant meets all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future certification by the Commission on Fire Protection Personnel Standards and Education.

(e) An applicant may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position with a police department unless the applicant meets all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future licensing by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.

(f) Each police officer and fire fighter affected by this chapter must be able to read and write English.

(g) In addition to meeting the requirements prescribed by this section, an applicant for a beginning position in a police department in a municipality with a population of 1.5 million or more must meet the requirements prescribed by Section 143.105.

Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 149, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

Amended by:

Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 380, Sec. 1, eff. June 17, 2005.

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 273, Sec. 1, eff. May 30, 2009.

S.O.Interceptor
10-23-2012, 18:09
Yes, age discrimination is alive and well in Texas. I think it's ridiculous. But it's thriving in our military too.

The code has changed since I last read it. It used to be an age cutoff of 40.

I don't know if it was ever in the government code but a lot of agencies used to have a 35 year age cutoff that expanded to 40 with 5 years experience in law enforcement or military.

Ultimately this doesn't stop you from becoming a peace officer in any way, shape, or form. It limits you slightly, but there are thousands of agencies out there that aren't civil service. If you really want to be a peace officer, just apply with them.

jpa
10-23-2012, 18:16
No age limit in NV either. My agency has plenty of retired military and LE from other states. You do the same POST agility test as anyone else 20-99 years old, male or female or both.

furetto7
10-23-2012, 22:08
Speaking as a Texas Peace Officer over the age of 45, I can speak with some knowledge on this matter. The Civil Service requirement applies only to large departments for the most part, Sheriff Departments, Contables and most smaller Police Departments do not have any age restriction.

I was told that the 45 year cutoff is because most Civil Service positions have a mandatory retirement of 65 so for them to get 20 years from you you must start with them before you are 45.

Here in the costal bend area of Texas the only agency that has an age restriction is the Corpus Christi Police Department, all of the SO's and the other PD's have no age restriction, neither does the DPS if you can survive their academy.

larry_minn
10-23-2012, 22:51
[Dang. Sorry to hear this. I posted just on OP. Then read replies and everything (and more) I posted was already said....

ScottieG59
10-23-2012, 23:25
I have seen the same thing after my military years. The FBI has a 35 year old limit for Special Agents.

Maybe there is sort of process for a waiver? I have seen it in the Army.

Anyway, I would rather fail trying than not to try. Also, I would be more flexible about location.

AWMP
10-24-2012, 05:21
I have a friend that went through the DPS Academy, had his nose broken and was the same class a cadet died in the Academy, not pretty and not easy. Grew up always admiring State Troopers and grew wiser knowing it was not for me. Back up being so far away in certain locations can be tough, even a few minutes can seem like hours in a bad situation.

Really don't want to work Sheriff, don't want the jail duty. I have found a few other departments just a commute. Trying to keep the house due to financial plans. I still have time and learner more daily it seems.

Speaking as a Texas Peace Officer over the age of 45, I can speak with some knowledge on this matter. The Civil Service requirement applies only to large departments for the most part, Sheriff Departments, Contables and most smaller Police Departments do not have any age restriction.

I was told that the 45 year cutoff is because most Civil Service positions have a mandatory retirement of 65 so for them to get 20 years from you you must start with them before you are 45.

Here in the costal bend area of Texas the only agency that has an age restriction is the Corpus Christi Police Department, all of the SO's and the other PD's have no age restriction, neither does the DPS if you can survive their academy.

TheBelly
10-24-2012, 06:01
OP Thanks for your service. You earned a retirement, so I hope you are able to make the best of it.

merlynusn
10-24-2012, 07:42
I have seen the same thing after my military years. The FBI has a 35 year old limit for Special Agents.

Maybe there is sort of process for a waiver? I have seen it in the Army.

Anyway, I would rather fail trying than not to try. Also, I would be more flexible about location.

Special Agents (1811) and other LEO jobs with the fed have an age limit of 37, not 35. Mandatory retirement at 57 as well.

Military time does count though and I believe that can be waived for a couple of years, but I'm not positive and you'd have to check.

Deriffe
10-24-2012, 14:06
Special Agents (1811) and other LEO jobs with the fed have an age limit of 37, not 35. Mandatory retirement at 57 as well.

Military time does count though and I believe that can be waived for a couple of years, but I'm not positive and you'd have to check.

Military time does NOT count toward primary coverage 1811 retirement. The age limit was raised a few years ago to 37 - 57 for the "primary covered" 1811 retirement, HOWEVER there are some agencies that it is possible to get an age waiver or have "secondary covered" 1811 retirement. In my agency, upper supervisors have secondary coverage so they don't get the enhanced retirement annuity formula but they aren't age limited either.

You must have 20 years of 1811 time for the primary coverage retirement. You can only get 20 years of primary covered retirement (1.7 % contribution). Any additional years are computed at the 1% rate. Your military time does count toward longevity and RIF purposes. I had 10 1/2 years active duty. I am now in my 19th year as a primary covered 1811. Once I hit 20 years, I will be 51 so I am eligible for retirement. 20 years @ 1.7% + 10.5 years @1% = about 45% of the average of my high three.

Keep at it. Don't give up. Of the Troops....

trdvet
10-24-2012, 16:37
I have a friend that went through the DPS Academy, had his nose broken and was the same class a cadet died in the Academy, not pretty and not easy. Grew up always admiring State Troopers and grew wiser knowing it was not for me. Back up being so far away in certain locations can be tough, even a few minutes can seem like hours in a bad situation.

Not just relegated to Troopers. Get assigned next to a city and you'll have plenty of backup. They're hiring.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainingacademy/recruiting/traineelinks.htm

USAF96815
10-24-2012, 18:30

Same with Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Hawaii, and Virginia.

I'm sure there are plenty of other places out there as well.

RyanNREMTP
10-25-2012, 08:16
Just checked the TML site and there are a few department that I think are near you that are hiring. It didn't list any age requirements so I don't know for sure if they have any. You would need to contact them to determine that. Those I saw were Llano, Rosebud, Bastrop and Rogers. I don't know anything about any of those departments therefore I can't recommend one over another. Plus I don't know if you have distance restrictions or if they do as well.

Good Luck.

JimP
10-25-2012, 09:30
AWMP - keep us posted. I sold my house in Salado (over on Salado Oaks Drive) some years back but Texas is on the short-list for retirement because...it's Texas. I am also over 45 (well over...) but can out PT most of the youngsters around and I've been flirting with going the law enforcement route post-retirement. My dream job would be Sheriff of Mayberry (only have to worry about Otis and Earnest T. Bass coming into town occasionally) but any of the small towns in the AO would work.

nursetim
10-25-2012, 10:43
I know for a fact NC would be very happy to have you pretty much anywhere. If you like I know a few people in Wilmington NC, just let me know. Thank you very much for your service.

AWMP
10-25-2012, 16:43
Thanks Nursetim

Talked with another police chief in the area and found out what TLM was (mentioned earlier), great listing for LEO jobs in Tx, only 150 openings right now , lol,
Bell County is flipping in Jan, new Sheriff, new DA, new Judge, you get the idea,
I may look at SO, still have time, wife thinks I've lost it due to huge pay cut and bad hours.
But I will get to be home daily and having dream job, life is good no matter what. I did check and no mortars, rockets, RPGs or Ieds in the area, :), so how bad can it be.

nursetim
10-25-2012, 17:15
Depends how close to the boarder you are. Good luck and stay safe.

woettinger
10-25-2012, 19:20
A preference eligible veteran does not have the age limit.

Military time does NOT count toward primary coverage 1811 retirement. The age limit was raised a few years ago to 37 - 57 for the "primary covered" 1811 retirement, HOWEVER there are some agencies that it is possible to get an age waiver or have "secondary covered" 1811 retirement. In my agency, upper supervisors have secondary coverage so they don't get the enhanced retirement annuity formula but they aren't age limited either.

You must have 20 years of 1811 time for the primary coverage retirement. You can only get 20 years of primary covered retirement (1.7 % contribution). Any additional years are computed at the 1% rate. Your military time does count toward longevity and RIF purposes. I had 10 1/2 years active duty. I am now in my 19th year as a primary covered 1811. Once I hit 20 years, I will be 51 so I am eligible for retirement. 20 years @ 1.7% + 10.5 years @1% = about 45% of the average of my high three.

Keep at it. Don't give up. Of the Troops....