Just paid for my Gen4 G23... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just paid for my Gen4 G23...

mrstrau
10-23-2012, 10:54
I just got back from paying for my Glock 23 Gen4 at my local gun shop...the painful part being I couldn't take it with me after dropping just about $600 dollars. The reason: Still waiting on my permit. I live in New York unfortunately, and its coming up on 11 months and still no word.

I live in Dutchess county, which is notorious for slow pistol permit applications. I applied in January of this year...got fingerprinted September 10th, and now I'm waiting 4 to 6 months for that to process.

Once my permit comes in the mail, I can go to the Sheriff's office and show them the invoice for my paid Glock. Then I wait 1 to 3 weeks for them to register the gun, and once that is done I'll get a coupon in the mail which allows me to go to my gun shop and finally pick up my first glock.

Really wish I got on this as soon as I turned 21, I would have had the damn thing by now.

Anyone else deal with ridiculous wait times for a pistol permit? Longer? Shorter? Trying to build a consensus of how easy it is to get a hold of a handgun in other parts of the USA.

FYI: No record, one arrest when I was younger over some stupid crap but it was sealed and dismissed as it was my first offense. I don't think that's the reason it's taking me so long though.

Damn laws...I know people who walk into a store and can walk out an hour later with a handgun. Gotta get out of NYS...

11Bravo20
10-23-2012, 11:01
Ahhhh......Yea,
Move to Maine like I did....Walk in....Walk out 10 minutes later with the gun of your choice.

My CCW permit went like this....Go to the local PD show him my DD-214 (DD-214 for combat MOS to avoid taking CCW class) fill out a page of paperwork...wait 12 days....Pick up my CCW license...Go to staples and laminate it.

I feel your pain! I am originally from Massachusetts.

mrstrau
10-23-2012, 11:07
Ahhhh......Yea,
Move to Maine like I did....Walk in....Walk out 10 minutes later with the gun of your choice.

My CCW permit went like this....Go to the local PD show him my DD-214 (DD-214 for combat MOS to avoid taking CCW class) fill out a page of paperwork...wait 12 days....Pick up my CCW license...Go to staples and laminate it.

I feel your pain! I am originally from Massachusetts.

It's crazy that even someone like you, who was (is?) a service member, trained in combat, still has to deal with any laws.

Massachusetts is just as bad as NYS, but from what I read Dutchess county in NY is now the longest wait in NY for a CCW. I'm all for required training, but it really shouldn't take this long. I'll be lucky if I get my gun by December or January.

I gotta get to a better state. I have cousins in Maine who have literal armories, very few restrictions in Maine. Great state to boot.

11Bravo20
10-23-2012, 11:15
It's crazy that even someone like you, who was (is?) a service member, trained in combat, still has to deal with any laws.

Massachusetts is just as bad as NYS, but from what I read Dutchess county in NY is now the longest wait in NY for a CCW. I'm all for required training, but it really shouldn't take this long. I'll be lucky if I get my gun by December or January.

I gotta get to a better state. I have cousins in Maine who have literal armories, very few restrictions in Maine. Great state to boot.

Hey,
I was a gulf war vet, Panama vet and served in two Infantry regiments with the 101st Airborne Division. When I got out of the Army I went home to Massachusetts and they made it almost impossible for me to obtain my CCW permit. I then packed up and moved....lol

mrstrau
10-23-2012, 11:19
Hey,
I was a gulf war vet, Panama vet and served in two Infantry regiments with the 101st Airborne Division. When I got out of the Army I went home to Massachusetts and they made it almost impossible for me to obtain my CCW permit. I then packed up and moved....lol

Firstly, respect for what you did. I come from a military family but due to a lot of internal family issues I was never bred to join the military, took the college path and now I'm sort of regretting it in this economy.

I feel that anyone who was a LEO/Military should have auto-access to CCWs. There's no reason not too..responsible/trained civilians and responsible ex-mil or ex-LEO guys are basically free cops..decent people who legally obtained a CCW to protect themselves, their family or their community.

We're too protectionist these days :/

Larry V
10-23-2012, 16:37
In Ohio you walk into the gunshop pick out your gun, they call The FBI background check and you take it home 2 min later. All in the same day.. I could never live in the Peoples Republic of NY

CAT 1000B
10-23-2012, 17:16
I'm from Indiana. We have Lifetime Carry licenses. It took me about 2 months to go through the process before I received it and now I never have to go through it again. We used to have to have it renewed every 4 years before the lifetime licenses became available. I can also walk into a gun shop and pick out my gun, fill out form 4473, have my instant background check done and walk out the door with it. This takes all of about 10 minutes.

OhioGlock90
10-23-2012, 17:59
I also live in Ohio and it is nice if you know what you want you can walk in to the shop and within 4 to 6 mins walk out with your new gun. Makes it real easy and nice. I have to imagine the waiting period discourages people from buying a gun. I just took my ccw class that wasnt to bad either. !2 hours, then i have to set a meeting at the Sheriffs office, fill out paper work and wait a week or so.

theSteve
10-23-2012, 18:11
Just move to Arizona, five minute process to buy a gun and you don't even need a CCW here to conceal carry.

Irish Stout
10-23-2012, 18:16
To purchase a handgun in Michigan you have to go to your local police dept and get a permit to buy. Took me all of 5 minutes. Then go to gun shop and walk out with your choice of pistols.

CCW permits, once class is completed, take anywhere from 1-3 months to process depending on which county. Certainly nothing as horrible of a process as NY.

hsprincipal
10-23-2012, 18:24
This is ridiculous. In KY I show them my CCW, fill out the form, pay and walk out the door. No background check. I would move to a free state.

wolf1956
10-23-2012, 18:27
I glad that I'm down south. Here in TN. you pick out your handgun and when you pass the background check, which only takes a few minutes, you are walking out the door with your new handgun. And you don't have to have a carry permit to do so.

Tx-SIG229
10-23-2012, 18:29
my home town being Md (no CCW.. and yeah, I'm ex military too), it was weird moving to Texas and buying guns here - fill out paperwork, pay for it and then you're out the door :)

johnson8861
10-23-2012, 19:05
$600 dollars for a 23? Yikes! I paid $589 for my brand new 24C. Glad I am not in New York.

Irish Stout
10-23-2012, 19:05
If you have MI ccw then you can pay and walk out the door too.

gunsmoke92
10-23-2012, 19:58
Tell you what, go get your money back, move to Idaho, we'll build a wall around NY, and I'll show you where you can pick up a new 23 with night sights for $575. In Idaho, you walk in, find your gun, they make the call (if you have a CCW they won't even do that), fill out the paperwork, pay your money, and leave (hopefully to go shoot your new toy). CCWs are easy as Idaho is a shall issue state. If you're problem free, $56, fill out the application, normally within a couple weeks the Sheriff has signed it and you get your permit, good for 5 years and $45 to renew.:cool:

Come on Man, do it, you know you want to. :)

mrstrau
10-23-2012, 20:10
Jeeze..it seems everywhere is easier to get a gun then here in ******* NY.

I really want to move mid-west, Colorado is my dream state, but I've been hearing that some intense gun-control laws were going to be hitting the books soon...I guess I'll have to keep my ears open.

And btw, 600 bucks was actually cheaper than most people here in NY (Mil and LEO excluded) would get one. I frequent my local shop and the guys there know me pretty well, and also know how to keep people coming back. He hooked me up and knocked about 50 bucks off the ticket price...I paid 565 before tax.

I'm jelly of all you guys in free states....

zachm
10-23-2012, 20:14
Just move to Arizona, five minute process to buy a gun and you don't even need a CCW here to conceal carry.
this is true, its hot as hell but the carry laws make up for it. :cool:

SJ 40
10-23-2012, 20:27
Just move to Arizona, five minute process to buy a gun and you don't even need a CCW here to conceal carry.You may consider moving next door to Vermont same laws as Arizona,purchase it,carry it concealed out the door,any kind of ammunition you choose any magazine capacity you choose,gee isn't that much the same as those old guys who penned the US Constitution had in mind.
On second thought strike that idea,Winters in Arizona are much nicer. Just a thought ! SJ 40

mrstrau
10-23-2012, 20:41
You may consider moving next door to Vermont same laws as Arizona,purchase it,carry it concealed out the door,any kind of ammunition you choose any magazine capacity you choose,gee isn't that much the same as those old guys who penned the US Constitution had in mind.
On second thought strike that idea,Winters in Arizona are much nicer. Just a thought ! SJ 40

Thought about Arizona....just too desert-y for me lol. I'm a mountain guy, grew up in the Hudson Valley so I'm gonna need mountains when I go west...Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana.

Somewhere out there.

Can anyone suggest any non-resident permits that will work with a NY CCW?

Just trying to maximize my carry-ability...

jbailey8
10-23-2012, 21:00
In Virginia I get delayed on my background check, but it's usually no longer than an hour.

In Washington it's an eight day waiting period to buy a handgun.

In Texas I was in and out in 10 minutes.

I was issued my Virginia CHP in 2007. While I was on mid tour leave from Iraq, showed my military ID and I received my permit in four days.

TxGlock9
10-23-2012, 21:20
For a regular civilian in the state of Texas I waited 6 weeks for my carry permit.

gunsmoke92
10-23-2012, 21:22
Thought about Arizona....just too desert-y for me lol. I'm a mountain guy, grew up in the Hudson Valley so I'm gonna need mountains when I go west...Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana.

Somewhere out there.

Just trying to maximize my carry-ability...

Not a single state other than NY will honor your NY permit, however, if you were to get a Utah non-resident permit, it's recognized in about 32 states.

CharlieDelta127
10-23-2012, 21:35
Haven't applied for my CPL yet.

As for buying a handgun, walked in, put the money on the counter, walked out with the gun.

bac1023
10-24-2012, 06:17
I just got back from paying for my Glock 23 Gen4 at my local gun shop...the painful part being I couldn't take it with me after dropping just about $600 dollars. The reason: Still waiting on my permit. I live in New York unfortunately, and its coming up on 11 months and still no word.

I live in Dutchess county, which is notorious for slow pistol permit applications. I applied in January of this year...got fingerprinted September 10th, and now I'm waiting 4 to 6 months for that to process.

Once my permit comes in the mail, I can go to the Sheriff's office and show them the invoice for my paid Glock. Then I wait 1 to 3 weeks for them to register the gun, and once that is done I'll get a coupon in the mail which allows me to go to my gun shop and finally pick up my first glock.

Really wish I got on this as soon as I turned 21, I would have had the damn thing by now.

Anyone else deal with ridiculous wait times for a pistol permit? Longer? Shorter? Trying to build a consensus of how easy it is to get a hold of a handgun in other parts of the USA.

FYI: No record, one arrest when I was younger over some stupid crap but it was sealed and dismissed as it was my first offense. I don't think that's the reason it's taking me so long though.

Damn laws...I know people who walk into a store and can walk out an hour later with a handgun. Gotta get out of NYS...

Man, that's terrible.

Stories like this make me happy I'm from PA.

SJ 40
10-24-2012, 06:42

Somewhere out there.

Just trying to maximize my carry-ability...If it's mountains you want the mountains in Arizona will put the molehills of the Hudson Valley to shame,same for the Green Mnts. here.
Take a peek !

I Love You, Arizona - YouTube

SJ 40

xrmattaz
10-24-2012, 06:57
this is true, its hot as hell but the carry laws make up for it. :cool:

It's quite chilly this morning up in the mountains of AZ.

xrmattaz
10-24-2012, 07:07
OP, plenty of pine tree-rich mountainous areas in Arizona!

We're a mile high here, pine trees galour...highs in the summer "may" hit the mid90's for a couple of weeks in July, down to the teens in winter. We get snow, but it usually all melts before lunch time.

Flagstaff is 90 miles north, with a 12366 foot Mt. Humphrey visible from here. Much cooler/snowier in the winter.

Arizona ain't all desert! As in Vermont, if you are not a bad guy, you can open carry or CCW anything you want. Dealer transactions are simple and quick, or just head to the swap meet or gun show, and buy or sell what you wish, no paperwork involved. Like buying a pack of chewing gum, simple.

I love my freedoms, and my mountains, right out the back door!

Beretta92guy
10-24-2012, 07:10
Get out of that rat hole and come down here to KENTUCKY. You can buy a gun faster than you can buy a cup of coffee

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

xrmattaz
10-24-2012, 07:17
Get out of that rat hole and come down here to KENTUCKY. You can buy a gun faster than you can buy a cup of coffee

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Good point.

I can purchase a firearm here quicker than I can brew a pot of coffee! 1-2 minutes to fill out the form, a minute or so for dealer to fill out a sales receipt and cash exchanged. Out the door in much less than 10 minutes.

(It's the hour or two ogling all the goodies in the display cases that takes too much time.......)

mrstrau
10-24-2012, 07:43
If it's mountains you want the mountains in Arizona will put the molehills of the Hudson Valley to shame,same for the Green Mnts. here.
Take a peek !

I Love You, Arizona - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xedmvJTzk&feature=PlayList&p=5CC77E19353D5337&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=39)

SJ 40

Damn it seems I need to brush up on my US geography...I didn't even realize there were any serious mountain ranges in AZ.

How's the job market out there? I just graduated with a history degree..I plan on either doing a quick trade program or a 2 year masters for education to be a teacher...almost impossible to find a good job up here though..

coonracing18
10-24-2012, 07:48
To purchase a handgun in Michigan you have to go to your local police dept and get a permit to buy. Took me all of 5 minutes. Then go to gun shop and walk out with your choice of pistols.

CCW permits, once class is completed, take anywhere from 1-3 months to process depending on which county. Certainly nothing as horrible of a process as NY.

Yep, im in MI too and have bought pistols both ways..

First time went to cop shop and got a 5$ purchase permit and went to gun shop same day and left 20 mins later.

second time i had my CCW/CPL whatever you want to call it, walked in to gun store left 20 mins later..

as for the class, here was the order.

pickup CPL packet from cop shop, fill packet out and take class.

take certification from class along with the packet to the courthouse (also passport photo) 105$ for packet, 10$ passport photo

go to cop shop get fingerprinted

waited a total of 4 more weeks and got it in the mail!

mrstrau
10-24-2012, 08:53
Yep, im in MI too and have bought pistols both ways..

First time went to cop shop and got a 5$ purchase permit and went to gun shop same day and left 20 mins later.

second time i had my CCW/CPL whatever you want to call it, walked in to gun store left 20 mins later..

as for the class, here was the order.

pickup CPL packet from cop shop, fill packet out and take class.

take certification from class along with the packet to the courthouse (also passport photo) 105$ for packet, 10$ passport photo

go to cop shop get fingerprinted

waited a total of 4 more weeks and got it in the mail!

I've heard a few people mention CPL...Is it the same as a CCW? I'm assuming it stands for concealed pistol license?

CharlieDelta127
10-24-2012, 09:02
CPL, CHL, all the same.... If you want to get real technical, I know a lot of places use CCW to refer to carrying a firearm illegally (i.e. without a permit).

soggy_spinout
10-24-2012, 12:13
In Washington it's an eight day waiting period to buy a handgun.
3-7 business days without a CPL. More often right in the middle, 4-5 days. With a CPL, and assuming the NICS check doesn't flag for delay--pity you folks with security clearance--out the door with it right after you pay.