Why don't people actually read emails/presentations??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why don't people actually read emails/presentations???

LSUAdman
10-23-2012, 11:08
I just wanted to vent for a second. One of my pet peeves is when someone doesnt sit down and read an email or presentation that is given to them, then starts asking questions that are IN the document!

I just finished a quote for a client. It was a pretty high-detail job with six different parts quoted 3 different ways each. It took about a week to get all the bids in, for me to find cost efficiencies/negotiate, and then today present the info in an email.

Not two seconds after I send the mail, I get a call from the client. "How are these going to be packed? Where are they shipping from? How long is turn time? When do we need to get you the files? What were the quanities we originally wanted? Etc"

I answered each question, then would say, "Everyting you're asking is in the email." Went on for about 30 minutes.

Now this wasnt a long, drug out email. Maybe 100 words, then the quote. It basically stated my reason for quoting the job the way I did, where it was being manufactured, when it would ship, how long it would need, etc.

At the end she laughs and says, "Guess I should have read it all before I called you. Oh well." :steamed:

I also used to have a boss, back in the day, who never, ever read a single proposal on her desk. She's hold it in front of her and start asking all the questions that were already answered in the proposal. It made meetings that should have been 15 minutes into three hour affairs. Plus she would cut you off mid sentence...

Anyone else find that annoying?

RenoF250
10-23-2012, 11:22
I just wanted to vent for a second. One of my pet peeves is when someone doesnt sit down and read an email or presentation that is given to them, then starts asking questions that are IN the document!

I just finished a quote for a client. It was a pretty high-detail job with six different parts quoted 3 different ways each. It took about a week to get all the bids in, for me to find cost efficiencies/negotiate, and then today present the info in an email.

Not two seconds after I send the mail, I get a call from the client. "How are these going to be packed? Where are they shipping from? How long is turn time? When do we need to get you the files? What were the quanities we originally wanted? Etc"

I answered each question, then would say, "Everyting you're asking is in the email." Went on for about 30 minutes.

Now this wasnt a long, drug out email. Maybe 100 words, then the quote. It basically stated my reason for quoting the job the way I did, where it was being manufactured, when it would ship, how long it would need, etc.

At the end she laughs and says, "Guess I should have read it all before I called you. Oh well." :steamed:

I also used to have a boss, back in the day, who never, ever read a single proposal on her desk. She's hold it in front of her and start asking all the questions that were already answered in the proposal. It made meetings that should have been 15 minutes into three hour affairs. Plus she would cut you off mid sentence...

I do not mind it from customers. I will often send something and then call to confirm they got it and ask how it looks/any questions.

Getting cut off is certainly annoying along with managers that do not listen. I have one that comes up with a theory on the sequence of events and you really have to beat on him to get him to realize it is incorrect. He keeps going back to what he thinks happened.

Also annoying is support people that do not listen. I once said I read doc 123 and did step A and I still have this problem and they replied with a link to doc 123 and told me to complete step A.

Glock20 10mm
10-23-2012, 11:25
E-Mail over load.

aspartz
10-23-2012, 11:27
My former employer had a new policy that stated that all inhouse emails were supposed to be more "person friendly". By this they meant that all correspondence was supposed to start with at least the first paragraph about personal off topic issues. Rather than start with "Do you have the figures I asked for?", an email was supposed to start with "How are you and the kids? Is little Mary doing good a school? Are your ED meds working like you hoped?"
I told them at that meeting that this will guarantee that I never read another company email.
I just started to respond "tldr"

ARS

crossfade
10-23-2012, 11:35

Too long.. Did not read... What does it say? :tongueout:

GWSHARK
10-23-2012, 11:38
Folks are too busy (i.e. LAZY) these days!

I hate it when you are a working a draft of a file/document... send it out for review comments... get nothing back... go final and then... suddenly folks have a ton of changes. :steamed:

Chesafreak
10-23-2012, 11:41
I get that a lot from the attorneys where I work.

In one case, we were preparing to re-image their computers after hours and were emailing them to let them know that their computer would be erased and explained that the My Documents folder is backed up on the network and if they have files anywhere else, to copy them to My Documents folder. One person called me and asked if the My Documents folder was backed up. Wasn't that in my email? One of the ones that likes to delete our email without reading lost so many client files that our firm had to pay over 7k to have the data recovered. In another case, I was on call and had to talk to an irate partner who couldn't get on the VPN from home. He asked why he wasn't notified of the changes. I explained that we had sent out an email two weeks in advance of cutting over to the new VPN, and another email the day before. He said "I don't have time to read your emails, I'm too busy billing clients". I asked him "how much client work are you billing while you can't access the system right now?". That shut him up. I understand that I work for him, but don't call me up all irate and yell at me because you didn't think my email was important enough to read. As a retired Navy guy, I will not ever allow someone to verbally abuse me at work no matter how high up they are. Been there, done that. I can find another job.

LSUAdman
10-23-2012, 11:45
Also annoying is support people that do not listen. I once said I read doc 123 and did step A and I still have this problem and they replied with a link to doc 123 and told me to complete step A.

Oh, tech and help desk people are the worst. I dont mean genuine IT people, but part time people that are just hired to read a script. Comcast is the worst offender of this in my book.

LSUAdman
10-23-2012, 11:47
My former employer had a new policy that stated that all inhouse emails were supposed to be more "person friendly". By this they meant that all correspondence was supposed to start with at least the first paragraph about personal off topic issues. Rather than start with "Do you have the figures I asked for?", an email was supposed to start with "How are you and the kids? Is little Mary doing good a school? Are your ED meds working like you hoped?"
I told them at that meeting that this will guarantee that I never read another company email.
I just started to respond "tldr"

ARS

I'd have to shoot myself. I do a little BSing in emails when I am talking to vendors and to certain clients, but come on... I dont want my time wasted and I dont want to waste other people's time.

When I am not dealing directly with a client via email, I usually will just send a "Yes", "No" or "Can you clarify blah blah."

certifiedfunds
10-23-2012, 11:48

Did you explain things in the email? How many parts were in the presentation? Was there much detail? How long did it take you to put the whole presentation together?

LSUAdman
10-23-2012, 11:50
Folks are too busy (i.e. LAZY) these days!

I hate it when you are a working a draft of a file/document... send it out for review comments... get nothing back... go final and then... suddenly folks have a ton of changes. :steamed:

I think you hit the majority of the problem on the head. Working from home, almost everything I do is email or phone related.

My last company was very anal about over explaining. Each document usually left with an abstract summarizing everything that was already in the document, so when I email clients I usually give them a bullet point of what's in the attachement or the quote.

And AMEN to the asking for revisions. My other pet peeve is when people dont confirm calendar requests. I sent two meeting requests out last week and the other party never responded. I finally had to call them and ask them why they didnt confirm the request - "Oh, well I was gonna be there."

Um...how was I supposed to know? You never confirmed!:faint:

TeeJay37
10-23-2012, 11:56
I emailed our office IT manager once because one of our plotters(printers) would print streaks across the page. While waiting for a fix, I used a different one and it did the same thing in a different spot on the page. I sent them a new email to tell them about that one and received as a response "Ok... do you have streaks in your drawing? LOL"

C'mon, really?

LSUAdman
10-23-2012, 11:58
Did you explain things in the email? How many parts were in the presentation? Was there much detail? How long did it take you to put the whole presentation together?

There was no attachment in this email, just the relevant points plus the costs for each item - there were six jobs with three different quantities each - so the number of costs might have been confusing, I admit. It was not fun writing the scope of the bid.

Everything was in a short paragraph and two bullet points, one of which was turn time and the other was shipping instructions.

Her first question when she called was asking turn time - "Um...two to three weeks, because it's in St. Louis. That's in the email."

Then she asked how they were shipping. I read the number of boxes and contents of each, then said "it's the next line down from St. Louis."

She was more embarrased than anything. She just doesnt read. She's more vocal I guess - I just prefer having everything in writing.

LSUAdman
10-23-2012, 11:59
I emailed our office IT manager once because one of our plotters(printers) would print streaks across the page. While waiting for a fix, I used a different one and it did the same thing in a different spot on the page. I sent them a new email to tell them about that one and received as a response "Ok... do you have streaks in your drawing? LOL"

C'mon, really?

Just tell them that every time you try to print, it shoots out a test page saying PC Load Letter. :rofl:

certifiedfunds
10-23-2012, 12:37
There was no attachment in this email, just the relevant points plus the costs for each item - there were six jobs with three different quantities each - so the number of costs might have been confusing, I admit. It was not fun writing the scope of the bid.

Everything was in a short paragraph and two bullet points, one of which was turn time and the other was shipping instructions.

Her first question when she called was asking turn time - "Um...two to three weeks, because it's in St. Louis. That's in the email."

Then she asked how they were shipping. I read the number of boxes and contents of each, then said "it's the next line down from St. Louis."

She was more embarrased than anything. She just doesnt read. She's more vocal I guess - I just prefer having everything in writing.

You missed it.....:supergrin:

aspartz
10-23-2012, 12:43

C'mon, really?
IT people deal with morons more often than you believe. I once had to go fix a copier that was not copying the original, instead it was printing something "random". The random was the piece of paper on the glass.

ARS

TeeJay37
10-23-2012, 12:46
IT people deal with morons more often than you believe. I once had to go fix a copier that was not copying the original, instead it was printing something "random". The random was the piece of paper on the glass.

ARS

Haha, wow. I think it was his sarcasm that really irked me though. It may have been different if it wasn't only my second encounter with him and we had made some sort of joking relationship.

LSUAdman
10-23-2012, 12:53
You missed it.....:supergrin:

I caught it, just still in the over explaining mode. Just had to have almost the exact conversation with a vendor.

When it rains... :rofl:

ithaca_deerslayer
10-23-2012, 18:58
I prefer email, but some people do better on the phone, and some people do better in person, and some people do better if left completely alone.

If you can only communicate with people by way of email, then that is perhaps a personal weakness that you need to work on :)

Altaris
10-23-2012, 19:20
That is a huge pet peeve of mine, since I send and receive a ridiculous amount of emails a day.

I love it when I send a 1 sentence email like, "How many hard drives do you need in this server?", and their response will be "Let me know if you need anything else for me to create this quote". Yeah, I do need something else.... how about you answer the one and only sentence in the email you just responded to.

The one that always gets me is people who respond to my emails asking for my phone number, when it is in my signature line of the email they just hit reply on.

I could make a many page thread of just stupid things that some of my customers have responded with.

droidfire
10-23-2012, 19:37
Why don't people read emails?

Because we live in an age where the mindset of the microwave generation is front and center, combined with the prevalence of the entitlement mentality means people demand to be spoonfed directly from the source.

My solution is always to say read the email I sent if their question has already been answered and then bill for the minimum one hour fee for consultation.

janice6
10-23-2012, 19:37
"Tell them what you are going to tell them."

"Tell them."

"Tell them what you told them."

Hef
10-23-2012, 21:10
My policy is to use a work email for work ONLY, as your work email is only there for you to use for the benefit of the company. I can and will read your emails, so if you don't want me to know all your personal business, don't use your work email for personal discussions.

As for people not reading my emails....

I put read receipts on important emails so I can (usually) know when a recipient reads my emails. For normal day-to-day emails "in house", if I email someone and they screw up because they didn't bother to read my email, they catch hell, and will eventually be fired if it becomes a habit.

If I encounter customers who don't respond to my emails, I simply don't do business with them, usually by giving ridiculously high estimates so they stop calling me. I like having everything documented in emails and if they aren't on board with it they will cost me money at some point, so I make them go away before that happens.

Halojumper
10-23-2012, 21:54

If your emails are like your post, perhaps you need to look at why you are boring people with them and learn to get to the point with the main facts quicker and not drag on.

280Z
10-23-2012, 22:52

"Tell them."

I thought those were the rules for verbal presentations:whistling:

I once asked a perspective supplier to give me a short write up explaining the options and the benefits/costs of each system to give to the CFO. I had tried explaining everything to him but he would not believe me or take the time to comprehend the information so I thought he may listen to an expert. Instead, he got antsy and sets up a conference call for the three of us. All his questions had been addressed in the write up but instead we had to waste time on a call.

If I am called to answer questions in person that have been specifically addressed in an email, I print it out and read the answers. It tends to convey my point.

xArcher
10-23-2012, 23:12

snip ...

The 100 word email may have been understood but the quote may not have been in the requested/required format or easily understood by someone outside your organization/industry. Spending 30 minutes on the phone to confirm the details of quote for a for a high-detail job is not unusual. Spending 30 minutes to only discuss a 100 word email would be unusual.

"She laughs ... oh well". Did you get the job?

An other side of the coin. Recently, had a vendor manufacture and install over 1M in equipment. The items on the submitted invoice(s) did not match the the line items in the executed contract. The invoice(s) listed many pages of part numbers and labor charges. The contract (simplified), said supply and install the xxxs per section yyy of specifications and attached final drawings.

The equipment was there and in-use, by the end user, but we could not pay because the invoice(s) were not in the proper format per the contract. The vendor was notified every time they invoiced, using their internal format, to revise the billing to match schedule of values per the subcontract.

How is some auditor supposed to know that two pages of part numbers is the same as pump CW01 as specified in the RFP and subcontract?

Took over 3 months to get them paid. All that was needed was a simple invoice that said pay me 1M for the work completed per contract #alsdkjf and the attached schedule of values (from the subcontract). It took about 2.5 weeks to complete the on-site work. We now have a new account manager with this vendor.

xArcher
10-23-2012, 23:26
That is a huge pet peeve of mine, since I send and receive a ridiculous amount of emails a day.

A huge pet peeve of mine, who receives and sends a huge amount of email each day, is those that do not quote the email they are responding to.

It was so much simpler when TELEX was high tech.

LSUAdman
10-24-2012, 07:48
Did you get the job?

Sure did. Already got them in the pipeline and ready for delivery in a few weeks. Also picked up two more projects from them later in the day. :supergrin:

frizz
10-24-2012, 08:07

"Tell them."

I thought those were the rules for verbal presentations:whistling:

It is. But the same thing applies to written communication.

frizz
10-24-2012, 08:19
If any USAF mil and civ folks are reading this, I think that most will agree that the official USAF book on written & verbal communication, Tongue and Quill, is a wonderful book on communication around. It is well written and entertaining, so it keeps your interest.

The humorous yet insightful quotes are very informative. Too bad is isn't available in bookstores. But I think you can d/l it. It is available in electronic format.

frizz
10-24-2012, 08:25
Why don't people read emails?

Because we live in an age where the mindset of the microwave generation is front and center, combined with the prevalence of the entitlement mentality means people demand to be spoonfed directly from the source.

My solution is always to say read the email I sent if their question has already been answered and then bill for the minimum one hour fee for consultation.

The "entitlement mentality"? :upeyes:

Even the best written document is ineffective if the recipient doesn't bother to read it. I see that some posters in this thread see laziness as the culprit, and they are correct. However, you can't ignore the overload factor. Think of all the emails that cover minor issues, and are overly long.

Not only do you get too much unnecessary emails, the tl;dr factor is there.

I have to confess guilt to the tl;dr sin. Many of my posts here are too long and not read.

Halojumper
10-24-2012, 10:16
If any USAF mil and civ folks are reading this, I think that most will agree that the official USAF book on written & verbal communication, Tongue and Quill, is a wonderful book on communication around. It is well written and entertaining, so it keeps your interest.

The humorous yet insightful quotes are very informative. Too bad is isn't available in bookstores. But I think you can d/l it. It is available in electronic format.

It's available at Amazon.

xArcher
10-24-2012, 11:22
Sure did. Already got them in the pipeline and ready for delivery in a few weeks. Also picked up two more projects from them later in the day. :supergrin:

Great!

Cinic
10-24-2012, 15:22
Just yesterday my boss asked me to text him so info so he could complete a bid for a client. He called this morning asking a question that was answered in the text. I hate being interrupted to re-do something I've already done.

geofri
10-24-2012, 15:26
Thought this was going to be about college.

Darn. I hoped they would grow out of it.

NMGlocker
10-24-2012, 15:49
Other side of the coin.
I rarely read long unsolicited emails.
If I want "X" emailed to me, I'll ask for it to be an email otherwise I expect it to be a hard copy, in printable form (.PDF attachment) or verbal over the phone or in person.
A lot of my email is read from my phone and I'm not going to spend 10 minutes scrolling a phone screen.