Why has the "gun-killing" rate dropped so much [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why has the "gun-killing" rate dropped so much

Gundude
10-23-2012, 13:07
I just came across this article in Business Week, generally bemoaning the fact that Obama did nothing to further gun control and we're unlikely to see any gun control happening in the near future, regardless of who wins the election. :crying:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-17/the-obama-romney-assault-weapons-duel

But the most interesting paragraph was off on a bit of a tangent:As I discussed here[link removed], the gun-killing rate in the United States has fallen 51.5 percent since 1993 and within that figure, 11 percent from 2008 to 2010, the most recent year for which comparable statistics are available. Frustratingly, criminologists have not reached a consensus on why this has happened. But no one has been able to make a simple, causal connection between gun control and the downward trend.No one?

The "shall-issue" freight train really started to pick up steam right at the beginning of the 90's. The number of people legally carrying firearms has skyrocketed since then.

Is it true that nobody has been able to make a simple causal connection between record numbers of legally carried firearms and a staggering drop in murders by firearm? If not, how come? If so, any links to the research?

It seems almost too obvious what the connection is. Do we really need researchers and criminologists to write it out for us before we recognize its obviousness?

By "we", I don't mean people on this forum, who I'm sure are the choir in this case, but this seems like something that would really slam a few nails in the coffin of gun control if it were more widely known and understood.

aircarver
10-23-2012, 13:09
I would take it to be due to the widespread use of 9mm ......

:outtahere::supergrin:

SCGlock26
10-23-2012, 13:12
What year was Obama elected? 2008? The start of his gun salesman of the year awards.
Things that make you go hmmm!

GAFinch
10-23-2012, 13:19
The "shall-issue" freight train really started to pick up steam right at the beginning of the 90's. The number of people legally carrying firearms has skyrocketed since then.

Is it true that nobody has been able to make a simple causal connection between record numbers of legally carried firearms and a staggering drop in murders by firearm? If not, how come? If so, any links to the research?

It seems almost too obvious what the connection is. Do we really need researchers and criminologists to write it out for us before we recognize its obviousness?

No, they purposely ignore the connection and instead attribute the drop in crime to legalized abortion in order to make up a rational argument for responsible people to support its continuing legality.