Out of work for a long time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Out of work for a long time

purrrfect 10
10-23-2012, 15:07
Out of work for a long time now, Did a drug test and background check I just got a job working for Walmart selling guns in sporting goods, My favorite place to go when I go there. What can I say....I might like it? 6 miles from the house and the department pays from what I heard the most of all deparment Guns Camping Fishing boating is my passion.

NEVER thought I would work for Walmart, about now it sounds fun it's a job

certifiedfunds
10-23-2012, 15:09
Employee discount on nachos?

J_Rico
10-23-2012, 15:30
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad you found something.

Good luck.

pizza_pablo
10-23-2012, 15:41
Congratulations, for being able to get back to work!
Hoping you enjoy and keeps you on your feet, so to speak, until something better comes along!

Bruce M
10-23-2012, 15:52
Best of luck with your new job!

SMOKEin
10-23-2012, 16:07
Glad you found a job. Do me a favor when you start, slap those other bozo's around and tell them to be at the counter once in a while. :)

pizza_pablo
10-23-2012, 16:24
Glad you found a job. Do me a favor when you start, slap those other bozo's around and tell them to be at the counter once in a while. :)

:thumbsup:
Yeah! And how about they stop changing the sorting of the ammo! By brand.....by caliber....by brand....by caliber.....:supergrin:

M2 Carbine
10-23-2012, 16:27
Don't knock it.

It's good, honest, productive work.

There's been times I would have jumped at the chance to get a job like that.

Congratulations.

CanMan
10-23-2012, 16:31
I would say 'don't work too hard', but that's not sage advice going into a new job. Congrats!!

Buki192327
10-23-2012, 16:32
Congrats!! :wavey:

Jake514
10-23-2012, 16:32
Congratulations on finding a job you like.

dling
10-23-2012, 16:35
Best of luck with your new job.

Pima Pants
10-23-2012, 16:57
I wonder why Okie doesn't work in Sporting Goods at his Walmart. He would be great selling guns (as long as they were Springfield 45 ACP).

t4terrific
10-23-2012, 17:04

Slap them each once for me too. I'm sick of walking half way round the god damm store looking for a key master to the ammo glass!

t4terrific
10-23-2012, 17:05
I would say 'don't work too hard', but that's not sage advice going into a new job. Congrats!!

Working too hard at Walmart will make you very unpopular among the rest of the staff.

certifiedfunds
10-23-2012, 17:26
Working too hard at Walmart will make you very unpopular among the rest of the staff.

But they'll put it aside when they report to you.

certifiedfunds
10-23-2012, 17:29
A smart guy willing to work hard and perhaps further his education along the way can really create a nice career at wm

janice6
10-23-2012, 17:32
Congratulations on the new job. Maybe it's a new beginning, go for it.

Calico Jack
10-23-2012, 17:39
A smart guy willing to work hard and perhaps further his education along the way can really create a nice career at wm

This is true. I know a man that started out as a cart pusher and worked his way up to store manager.

clancy
10-23-2012, 17:54
I know it is true, but still find it hard to believe one needs to pass a drug test to work at Walmart. Around here you have to pass a drug test to work at McDonald's, Burher King and Wendy's, too. Managers there have all told me that is why they have such a tough time finding help. So few people pass the drug test.

It's not like these places are NASA or a hospital. I have a real tough time accepting that smoking a joint Friday night should disqualify someone from flipping burgers or selling shoes on Monday.

certifiedfunds
10-23-2012, 18:22
This is true. I know a man that started out as a cart pusher and worked his way up to store manager.

If I'm not mistaken that puts him comfortably into 6 figures.

And Bentonville is a very nice area for a relo

kenpoprofessor
10-23-2012, 18:39
I know it is true, but still find it hard to believe one needs to pass a drug test to work at Walmart. Around here you have to pass a drug test to work at McDonald's, Burher King and Wendy's, too. Managers there have all told me that is why they have such a tough time finding help. So few people pass the drug test.

It's not like these places are NASA or a hospital. I have a real tough time accepting that smoking a joint Friday night should disqualify someone from flipping burgers or selling shoes on Monday.

Ex GF had to take a drug test and background ck to work the front desk of a hotel. I like the fact they're drug testing people, the beauty of a free economy. The state should test them before and during the time anyone uses the money of the taxpayer as well.

It's really easy to stay away from drugs and/or alcohol you know.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

NickC50310
10-23-2012, 18:45
Im curious as to what kind of discount you get on ammo...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

certifiedfunds
10-23-2012, 19:10
Im curious as to what kind of discount you get on ammo...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

You're thinking we got one on the inside huh?

Skeet732
10-23-2012, 19:18
Congrats, you are employed by a company that is in no danger of filing Chap11. Now it is up to you to rise through the ranks. I was raised to give my best to my boss regardless of what my fellow employees think.

Gonzoso
10-23-2012, 19:20

When I was 18 in 2003 I went and interviewed at a Jockey outlet at the crossings. They wanted me to go take a drug test to sell underwear.

On my way home from the interview, which went well I got a call to come for an interview at a popular waterpark. I interviewed and was hired as a lifeguard. I received rigorous swim, first aid, and CPR training. I was never drug tested.

Sell underwear= drug test
Save lives=no drug test

Weird

HarleyGuy
10-23-2012, 20:09
With the current economy and unemployment situation employers can pretty well pick and choose who they wish to employee and what better way would you prefer to sort potential employees?

Depending on occupation(s), an employer can demand random drug tests (their choice of what drugs they wish to test for and failing such a test usually leads to the employee being discharged.

My nephew just recently changed jobs but he told me this past weekend that his former employer frequently discharged employees for failing their drug tests and that it was difficult hiring new employees because so many of the applicants can't pass the the drug tests.

Calico Jack
10-23-2012, 21:14
If I'm not mistaken that puts him comfortably into 6 figures.

And Bentonville is a very nice area for a relo

That is correct.

NickC50310
10-23-2012, 21:34
You're thinking we got one on the inside huh?

Just trying to decide if I should work part time at wal mart in sporting goods! LOL! :wavey:

NickC50310
10-23-2012, 21:35
Nevermind, its 10%. Congrats on the new job though OP! Good for you!

vikingsoftpaw
10-23-2012, 21:35

In Ohio, Worker Comp will refuse to pay a work related claim if someone test positive in a post incident test.

LASTRESORT20
10-23-2012, 21:48
Congratulations....on the new job you like....Look for possible opportunities that "will" appear working in that department.....it wont always be from the usual crowed there...

aplcr0331
10-23-2012, 22:17
I worked at Wally World for a time after I was laid off in 2008. I worked in the back unloading the trucks and taking inventory. At the time it paid almost $1.50 more than working the front did. The surpervisor had been at the job for just over a year. Said he always showed up on time and worked hard. It was his last chance and he made it work.

We worked at a supercenter and you get a quarterly bonus if the store does well. The bonus money got him caught up on bills and him and his girlfriend and kids into an apartment. The healthcare was a huge plus for him and you could see the pride oozing out of him that he was able to "take care of his family".

I'll never bash WalMart again.

JuneyBooney
10-23-2012, 22:37
Out of work for a long time now, Did a drug test and background check I just got a job working for Walmart selling guns in sporting goods, My favorite place to go when I go there. What can I say....I might like it? 6 miles from the house and the department pays from what I heard the most of all deparment Guns Camping Fishing boating is my passion.

Good luck

jfost11
10-23-2012, 23:52

I worked in TLE in a Walmart for two years. I felt the same disbelief when I started there part time. My full time job wasn't working out and I was owed over two months pay so I had to do something. Eventually things got even worse and I went to Walmart full time. After learning of the pay difference in their logistics division, I eventually got a transfer to a distribution center. It is a different beast however. I have been with the company for just over 7 years now. I work three 12 hour days a week, get 120 hours of vacation every year as well as earning up to 6 deferred holidays which basically give me two more weeks vacation.

Many people talk trash about Walmart but it's really a good company to work for. The store was a much more laid back place to be. Just show up to work, display common sense, and don't steal anything and you'll have a job and end up as department manager in no time. With most other things, you get out what you put in. If I were only 6 miles from a store and could make 3/4s of my current pay, I'd go back in a second. Oh, have fun trying to stay awake during the CBLs!

Detectorist
10-24-2012, 00:44
I worked at WM and gained a new respect for the hard working folks there. Made lots of friends...

If I'm not mistaken, you will start getting your 10% discount after 3 months.

They do drug testing. Ask any Cop the percentage of folks they arrest who are alcoholics or habitual drug users.

I know a kid who's like 22 yo. He started part time as a cart pusher. Then 2 years later he was made a front end CS supervisor. He was my supervisor and I think he did a great job.

Last week I went there to grab some salad. They just promoted him to Produce Manager.

If one can stand the retail environment, opportunities are there.

Detectorist
10-24-2012, 00:50
Save lives=no drug test

Weird

Sell underwear = handling money and merchandise. Folks on drugs tend to steal.

skeeter7
10-24-2012, 01:27
Congrats on finding a new job! Work is work my friend, and I respect the fact that you didn't give up on looking for work as many people out there have done already. I'm on a first name basis with the gentleman who works the ammo counter at the Walmart I frequent. There are some great people who work there. Good luck! :thumbsup:

certifiedfunds
10-24-2012, 05:35
When I was 18 in 2003 I went and interviewed at a Jockey outlet at the crossings. They wanted me to go take a drug test to sell underwear.

On my way home from the interview, which went well I got a call to come for an interview at a popular waterpark. I interviewed and was hired as a lifeguard. I received rigorous swim, first aid, and CPR training. I was never drug tested.

Save lives=no drug test

Weird

Probably just assumed the lifeguards got high after work.