Why did you turn out the way you did? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why did you turn out the way you did?

Kevin108
10-23-2012, 15:53
For me, it was primarily my parents but also my uncle. They gave me my demeanor, curiosity, education, love of animals, love of music, love of the outdoors and work ethic.

My uncle is a half-breed orphan who married my mom's youngest sister. He taught me how to shoot, tie a knot, drive stick, and got me started with carpentry, which led to my career choice. He even bought me my first round of tools when I went to work.

Good or bad, one or more people had a major affect on you in your formative years. Who was your biggest influence?

Glock20 10mm
10-23-2012, 15:58
I suppose I was born an jerk and my particular circumstances in life turned me into a bastard butthole.

rgregoryb
10-23-2012, 15:59
drugs and lots of alcohol

skinny99
10-23-2012, 16:01
I am 100% my mom and dad. I am just like a mix of them.

slick64
10-23-2012, 16:04
I am a product of hardworking immigrant parents who have now been US citizens for over 40yrs. I was spanked, severely disciplined, yet somehow, contrary to current beliefs still turned out ok.

stk10767
10-23-2012, 16:28
Wooden spoon.... And my parents were both blue collar hard working individuals. Together, they produced some type of synergy, more than the sum of their parts. They made every dollar count and led by example. Did I mention the wooden spoon? Lol.

Mrs.Cicero
10-23-2012, 16:29
Oppositional Defiance Disorder

Glock&KimberLady
10-23-2012, 16:33
My dad was a crazy engineer/rocket scientist with anger issues and my mom couldn't stop him.

All of my friends were guys.

I was raised to not follow the pack, think for myself, use my intelligence, and always strive to do better.

Edit: hence, I spend time on GT and live in the boonie woods. :rofl:

JLA
10-23-2012, 16:37
I was spanked, severely disciplined, yet somehow, contrary to current beliefs still turned out ok.

I hear that!
I was raised by my grandparents since the age of 5. They were "old school" and I didn't get away with anything. I was more the type to sit back and take everything in all through my early years. They supported me in sports in whatever I wanted to do. I lived the life of respect and listening.

This would have been a 180 turnaround from what I would have been. My dad was a wife and child abuser... alchoholic....and had a mean temper. My mom ....well....she just didn't want me or my brother or sister.

Thank God for my grandparents. They gave up A LOT to raise 3 more kids. I owe them more than is humanly possible.

Jake514
10-23-2012, 16:37
A good work ethic, some common sense and the tenacity and ability to figure out problems from was learned from many family members.

Most important of all: I also observed many traits I did not want to emulate.

NeverMore1701
10-23-2012, 16:39
Genetics and environment, just like everyone else.

JLA
10-23-2012, 16:43
Genetics and environment, just like everyone else.

Environment I completely agree with

concretefuzzynuts
10-23-2012, 16:46
My mom was fiercely independent and passed that along to me.

dango
10-23-2012, 16:51
I am 100% my mom and dad. I am just like a mix of them.

So , you are a cross-dresser ?:supergrin: Me , I am dazed and confused ! A saint for a mother , taught me all the good things
that I am , a Gentle-Man , really miss that woman.

Father , a violent physical abuser , taught me what not to be !

The insane , adventurer , funny part and craftsman , I've no idea where that comes from ? A product of my chosen environment ?
I do enjoy my insanity , a sort of freedom that I do like ! :tongueout:

Al Czervik
10-23-2012, 17:06
Pain, mostly.

Lone Wolf8634
10-23-2012, 17:16
2 words: Personality Disorders.:crazy:

dango
10-23-2012, 17:41

Yo sweety , how ya doin ?
If you claim mildly Koo Koo , then there is no gauge , no meter,
No FINITE limits to scale the Dango-th ! :supergrin:

Hines57
10-23-2012, 17:47
Got dropped on my head

crazycooter91
10-23-2012, 17:56
I would say my dad, my previous step-dad, and my friends.

skeeter7
10-24-2012, 00:17
Why did I turn out the way I did? Probably because of having strict, hard working Portuguese parents who expected and accepted nothing but the best from me. They came here with nothing and worked extremely hard for everything they have now and they taught me many lessons through my childhood. As I look back, there were times when I hated them for being so hard on me at times, but now I appreciate it because it helped me get to where I am today. I hope I can pass some of those lessons onto my almost 1 year old son someday, to make him into the man his grandfather wanted me to be.

Lone_Wolfe
10-24-2012, 00:31
My father had a lot of effect on me growing up. I've spent my entire adult life trying to overcome those effects.

Kozel
10-24-2012, 00:31
I grew up like a dog mostly abandoned by everybody. I had to make my own decisions for as long as I can remember. I turned up to be mostly normal because I made more mistakes in my life then I can count but I tried to learn from them. That and God’s miracle that I am still alive.

Lone_Wolfe
10-24-2012, 00:32

Did dango really call you Sweety? :wow:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jtmac
10-24-2012, 00:54
By chance, I inherited some very good genes.

I'm not Aspergian, but suffice to say I'm close enough to understand people who are. Between a near complete lack of social ability other than manners I was taught and my ability to spend all my time in books, I learned to look up to ideals rather than people. My parents and grandparents taught me to do what is right, and I strived to do so even when they didn't live up to what they taught. Being a kid in the middle of two divorced parents and taking on a stepmother who turned out to be mentally abusive killed what other normal emotion I had.

As a young adult, spending time with my father (who's been everything from a roughneck electrician to a psychology grad student to a financial services representative) and mimicking his patterns is what taught me to interact with other people in a way they're comfortable with. It's only recently that I've started to get in touch with some very natural human instincts and drives that most people take for granted, while at the same time I get to watch other people around my age finally starting to understand things that I'd known as a child. In a sense, I got to age backwards, even though I didn't start life as Jonathan Winters in an egg.

I'm pretty weird on the inside.