Wasp nest in a hedge question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wasp nest in a hedge question

Altaris
10-23-2012, 18:08
And no.... kill it with fire is not an option since it is right next to the house.

I have some ~6ft hedges in the front yard right next to my windows. It is very obvious that I have a sizable red wasp nest somewhere inside of the one. I have gone out and emptied whole cans of wasp spray into the hedge. I run back inside when I see the cloud of red devils come pouring out of it. I can see them flying around inside since it is next to my office window. Since I can't actually see the nest itself, I can't spray it directly, and I can't get close enough, or disturb the hedge to find it, due to the mass of wasps that would pour out into my face.

Anyone have any tricks or tips of how to get them out of bushes?

*ASH*
10-23-2012, 18:11
this ought to be good :rofl::rofl::rofl:

just cut down hedges .

seriously you are gonna have to look to find nest and go from there . dont be a wuss

borrow someones full face helmet , thick jacket ,gloves etc and go in full force and sneak a peek , its not hard .

rtl
10-23-2012, 18:19
You may be in a pickle because you can't see the nest, but I've had great success with my airsoft gun. I can quickly destroy a nest from 50ft in seconds.

John43
10-23-2012, 18:20
Use the RAID brand of wasp spray, it kills them instantly.

deadmanglocking
10-23-2012, 18:23
You tried looking at night with a flashlight? In my experiences with them they seem to not be as active then. Maybe just move the branches slowly and shine the light in. They should be clustered on the nest and an easy target. Just my thoughts on it..

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

jfost11
10-23-2012, 18:31
There are various wasp and hornet sprays if you've got time to run out and get something. If they need to die immediately and you don't have any, kill it with fire is an option. A can of hair spray, Lysol, or any flammable household aerosol with a lighter in front of it for a second or two will work and the flame won't be hot enough and held long enough to ignite your house. Just test spray first. Some have a heavy mist that won't ignite very well and you'll be pissing the swarm off instead of melting their wings off.

robin303
10-23-2012, 18:35
I have a nest by my front door for a couple of years. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. Keeps everybody away LOL. Now the yellow jackets will sting just for fun. :steamed:

clancy
10-23-2012, 18:37
Look for them late at night or early in the morning. They will be much less active, especially if it is cool. Last week a coworker was changing a bulb in a ple light. When he pulled his hand out it was covered with wasps. IF it was a hot day he would have been in deep troubel. He never even got stung.

Are you sure it isn't a ground nest? Wasp nests are usually not that hard to find. Any good wasp spray will work.Ttry to find one that will shoot the spray out at least 20 feet. The farther you are away, the better. And buy at least 2 cans. It goes fast.

Altaris
10-23-2012, 18:46
Look for them late at night or early in the morning. They will be much less active, especially if it is cool. Last week a coworker was changing a bulb in a ple light. When he pulled his hand out it was covered with wasps. IF it was a hot day he would have been in deep troubel. He never even got stung.

Are you sure it isn't a ground nest? Wasp nests are usually not that hard to find. Any good wasp spray will work.Ttry to find one that will shoot the spray out at least 20 feet. The farther you are away, the better. And buy at least 2 cans. It goes fast.

It's Texas, so it is always a hot day :supergrin:

I am positive it is not a ground nest. I can spray up around the 5-6ft height mark and they come flying out of it. I have used 3 cans so far over 3 days, and it feels like each day they have already respawned all of their loses lol.

It is supposed to get super cold on Saturday (low of 50), so maybe I just need to wait until then to launch a full assault.

Slackinoff
10-23-2012, 18:46
Dress like you are snow skiing and find them. Don't wuss out :tongueout:

nursetim
10-23-2012, 18:47
A liquid solution of diatomaceous earth should do the trick and save the bush.

Atomic Punk
10-23-2012, 18:55
could fog them out. many ways to go about it. but the redneck in me says throw a few tarps over the hedge and get a LOT of dry ice and water.

road flares make great death fog as well, may not be usefull in thsi situation, but works great for getting rid of gophers iin the ground. or spiders in an infested car.

Paul_J
10-23-2012, 18:57
Like mentioned already, wait for a cool morning if you can to find the location. You also have a better chance at getting all of them as they will all be home.

Mix up a big bucket of soapy water using dish washing liquid. Make sure you can "feel" the soap in the water, it should feel slick in your fingers. When it's nice and cool dump the bucket of soapy water on them. The soap prevents them from breathing and they will suffocate.

They will move slow in cool weather and you should be okay and the soap will not kill your bushes.

byf43
10-23-2012, 19:26
Two cans of BrakLeen.

Spray the snot out of the wasps. They'll be dead before they hit the ground.

Repeat as necessary, as they come out of the nest.
Saturate the nest with BrakLeen!!!!

Dan_ntx
10-23-2012, 19:30
Dealt with this a couple of Summers ago, bunch of red wasps moved into a tall photenia.

I went with my power washer loaded with dawn dish washing soap. Poked around until I found the general area...soaked it with a heavy soap mixture until I could find the nest, then switched to a high pressure tip and blew the nest apart.

They were mad, but not crazed, the soap seemed to slow them down considerably.

My dad had a bunch of smaller nests in boxwood hedges and dumped Sevin dust all over them then swatted the hedges to stir up the wasps...they came out, got dust on them, went back in, and they were gone completely in a couple of days. No drama.

dherloc
10-23-2012, 19:35
A liquid solution of diatomaceous earth should do the trick and save the bush.

I love this stuff...never tried it on wasps though. Would think it would not drop them instantly like RAID does though. If it gets on them, they will die eventually though.

srhoades
10-23-2012, 19:37
Use those RAID smoke canisters that you add water to. They take about a minute an a half to start working. I would start it, put it underneath the hedge where you think the nest is, and in that minute and a half throw a blanket or tarp over the hedge.

el_jewapo
10-23-2012, 19:39
kill it with fire is not an option

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228571&stc=1&d=1351042753

Texas357
10-28-2012, 21:33
Wasp spray works great. Except on bees. Africanized bees just get angry.

Try soapy water on the individuals. Find the nest. Spray with wasp spray.

Snaps
10-28-2012, 21:35
what we've gone with back in the olden days was a BB gun to shoot a ton of holes in it from far away, then spray it with a hose from equally far away.

Get it heavy enough to break off and fall on the ground, problem solved.

BEER
10-28-2012, 22:57
expanding foam, lots of it.

once the wasps are all dead trim the giant mass of foam to whatever topiary shape you like and then paint the whole thing forest green. no more wasps and you never have to trim those hedges again.

i should start charging you people for my brilliance.

VinnieD
10-29-2012, 00:00
Fire is still an option. Fire is ALWAYS an option. It's a small price to pay to be rid of wasps.

Nuke The Site From Orbit - Dance Mix - YouTube

smokeross
10-29-2012, 00:20
Pay the neighbor kid to get rid of them. Don't forget the video camera.

Geeorge
10-29-2012, 00:26
I would use a shop vac and a can of spray,put a couple of inch's of water with some soap in it in the vac.

You should be able to suck them right out of the air then use the spray on the nest

gruntmedik
10-29-2012, 00:55
Empty a CO2 fire extinguisher on it.

Brake cleaner on nest.

Leather gloves, grab nest and put in garbage bag.

Open beer, enjoy.

Gallium
10-29-2012, 04:16
Somewhere in here, a treadmill is a must...

packin23
10-29-2012, 06:45
http://www.rainbowtech.net/sms/site/products/images/f2c760bcfdc7a000260bf06e0ac114c9.gif

If you can find this it works instantly. Usually you can find it at A/C or electrical supply houses. Spraying when cooler outside ensures that they will be home and not buzzing around. Good luck.

certifiedfunds
10-29-2012, 07:19
What you'll want to do is approach the nest from below. Start digging a hole about 25 feet away. When you get down 6 or 8 feet start tunneling toward the nest. It's going to help to have a buddy guide you as you dig and in case your tunnel collapses.

When you get the tunnel directly below the suspected bush push a piece of 1/2" pvc up through the soil and start looking through it like a periscope. When you find the nest leave the pvc in place as a guide to the nest. Then you can hit them with any can of wasp spray.

Bren
10-29-2012, 07:24
I use gasoline - non-flaming. It kills wasps on contact, without fire. If you throw a cup on a nest, every wasp it touches will fall directly to the ground without flying and the rest won't want to return to the nest. The biggest problem is figuring out how to get them all.

Insecticides mostly make them angry and maybe they'll die in a day or two.

gigab1te
10-29-2012, 09:49
I should probably be the first to tell you to hire a pest guy.

Since I know I wouldn't hire someone, and you probably won't either, here is what I would do. I would go out at night and wrap the bush in plastic (something like a vinyl matress shipping bag) that is sealed on all but one size. I'd throw a couple bug bombs in it, and tighten the bottom as tight around the bottom of the shrub as possible.

Since this is close to your home, and you have already ruled out killing with fire, you'll want to make sure there is nothing near the shrub that could spark the aerosol from the bug bomb. Also, remember to get up early enough in the morning to remove the plastic, so your neighbors don't see a matress bag on your shrub and think you're a wierdo.

CBennett
10-29-2012, 10:02
beat it with a stick then run! thats what i did it worked! split the nest in 1/2 they were gone 2 days later when i dared walk back over :)

Drain You
10-29-2012, 10:06
http://i.imgur.com/gEBfN.png

ashecht
10-30-2012, 07:29
Spectracide wasp/hornet spray. They run when they see the can. Kills them immediately.