extractor 336 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : extractor 336

rickyp
10-23-2012, 19:09
Right now my frame had a extractor 336 in it I know that is the standard for the 9mm

How well will it work wiht the 40 S$W and the 357 sig?

I have two frames sitting in fromt of me right nowone is a factory g23 wiht the extractor 1882 on it and the other was sold to me as a frame wiht the 336 extractor

When I put a 40 case on top of a mag in both frames and look side by side the extractor looks to be hitting about the same place, right in the seam of the primer/ case

SJ 40
10-23-2012, 19:17
If you are building the gun as a 9 mm the 336 ejector is what you want in the gun,if however you are building it as a 40 or 357 you will want the 1882,don't try it any other way for best functioning. SJ 40

DannyR
10-24-2012, 01:01
Do not use a 9mm ejector with 40 or 357. It is a very serious personal safety issue.

Southwind
10-24-2012, 10:29
Do not use a 9mm ejector with 40 or 357. It is a very serious personal safety issue.

I'd be grateful if you could expand a bit on how that is a safety issue.

Thanks.

abcomputin
10-24-2012, 11:35
If ejecting a live .40/.357 round, the 9mm ejector could act like a firing pin hitting the primer.

If that's not correct, I'm sure we'll hear otherwise shortly.

rickyp
10-24-2012, 16:14
have you ever tried to set off a primer with a small hammer? it isnt as easy as you think. I doubt it would be able to set off a primer by racking a live round out of the chamber normaly. I am not saying it can't happen.

BTW the 336 extractor doesnt hit the primer it hits along the ridge of the primer and case.

robhic
10-24-2012, 16:32
have you ever tried to set off a primer with a small hammer?... I am not saying it can't happen.

Would you want to be the one finding out if it can or cannot happen? This was just written about recently. The ejector CAN cause a round to go off as the slide goes into battery.

rickyp
10-24-2012, 16:39
how can the extractor cause a round to go off while it is goign into battery?

If you take your slide off and put a snap cap (for safety) in a magazine then put it in the pistol. You will see that the round rest under the extractory and then as it is being pushed into the chamber it is taken from under the extractor and then pushed in to the chamber. at no time does the back of the extractor touch the back of a round while it is being loaded.

If you are taking out a round and the extractor is bent afet MM into the slide maybe you could get one going off by pulling the case back to the extractor. If you take a fired round and put in on top of a magazine that is in already in the pistol you will see that the extractor hits the ridge between the case and the shell. I looked at my wife's 23 and my 19 both with 40 s$w rounds put on it like stated and they both touched the case about the same place.

abcomputin
10-24-2012, 17:08
rickyp, we're not talking about the extractor, we're talking about the ejector. Part 336 is the ejector. In your original post you reference the "extractor 336".

rickyp
10-24-2012, 17:16
rickyp, we're not talking about the extractor, we're talking about the ejector. Part 336 is the ejector. In your original post you reference the "extractor 336".
This is my mistake we are talking about the same part i just miss typed the name

robhic
10-25-2012, 08:58
how can the extractor cause a round to go off while it is goign into battery?

Let's see. YOU asked a question and then after people gave you some answers, you argue the point but also say "I'm not saying it can't happen". Please make up your mind.

Southwind
10-25-2012, 11:23
Let's see. YOU asked a question and then after people gave you some answers, you argue the point but also say "I'm not saying it can't happen". Please make up your mind.

Maybe it would help if you could explain how "The ejector CAN cause a round to go off as the slide goes into battery. "

I can't speak for rickyp but it would sure help me. I think I'm probably of about the same mindset as rickyp on this -- it doesn't really make sense but I don't want to dismiss out of hand statements by folks who know a lot more about Glocks than I.

Looks like DannyR is not coming back to explain his statement so you are our only hope

rickyp
10-25-2012, 11:37
I did ask questions about the extractor. While i was asking i was also taking apart my glocks and compared. Them and watching how they work. The 336 extractor looks thinner and has a slight bend in it then the other one. But they both strike the case in about the same place. From what i have looked at it would be very hard to have either one set off a round, because it hits the case along the ridge where the primer and case meets. This is no where close to being a sensitive part of the primer, now it it was hitting near the center that would be diffrent.

Me saying that it couldn't happen,i see things every day that shouldn't have happened, so i know there is always a chance no matter how remote it is still a chance things could happen

I too would like to know how a round going into battery could be set off by an extractor when the base of the round doesn't. Touch extractor during this operation

Dave.1
10-25-2012, 11:39
This isn't my picture, found on line, so thanks to the poster.

I think you can see the curve of the 9mm ejector on the right.

DannyR was referring to ejecting a live .40 or .357, not going into battery, in which case the primer could strike the ejector. It could depend on the type of primer I suppose, but that's the concept.

Dave

rickyp
10-25-2012, 12:59
mesure the distance from the outside of each ejector to the side of the frame and see how close they are

Why is the 357 sig ejector so diffrent then the one for the 40? they are both based on the same case?

abcomputin
10-25-2012, 14:19
The 357 and 40 ejectors are the same part.

dusty_dragon
10-25-2012, 15:39
what is it for an ejector on the far left in the pic posted above?
if i'm right, then the right one is a "336" 9mm, the one in the middle is a "1882" .40 ejector, but what kind of ejector is the far left one?

abcomputin
10-25-2012, 16:20
It looks like the ejector in my 21 year old G21, so it should be for a 10/.45

dusty_dragon
10-25-2012, 16:32
ah, i see, this could be.
it's much shorter than the other ones, isn't it?