Shark Attack [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shark Attack

JLB768
10-23-2012, 20:17
http://news.yahoo.com/california-surfer-killed-shark-attack-211938383.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CezTYdQZSoANDnQtDMD

Surfer killed at Surf Beach off of Vandenberg AFB today. I used to surf there many years ago, as well as a little South at Jalama Beach. Jalama really spooked me...

IceAxe
10-23-2012, 20:22
Used to work a lot at Point Magu and Port Hueneme and those waters are well known to be great white shark territory.

*ASH*
10-23-2012, 20:23
once a human enters an apex predators world , its their world.

JLB768
10-23-2012, 20:29
I used to surf off of San Onofre as well, apparently that's where GW's go to give birth. Amazing the things you become aware of years later :shocked:

Aint been on a surfboard since we moved to Indiana in 94, don't think I'd get back on one if given the chance. And for 12 years, I lived, breathed, and ate surfing, it was all I did in my free time.

FLIPPER 348
10-23-2012, 20:52
Just a few years ago there was another fatal attack there. I surfed all over the South Coast when I was a kid, from Vandenberg to 100 or so miles south of the Mexican border.

BEER
10-23-2012, 21:13
once a human enters an apex predators world , its their world.

exactly! if you walk into another man's living room uninvited you expect and deserve to get shot, if you swim into a sharks living room.......

JLB768
10-23-2012, 21:22
exactly! if you walk into another man's living room uninvited you expect and deserve to get shot, if you swim into a sharks living room.......

"Deserve" to be eaten for swimming/surfing/skiing in the ocean? Are you serious?

NateHodge
10-23-2012, 21:24

Genesis 1:26 says that's MY ocean.......

Just a little something for the sake of argument. :supergrin:

Armchair Commando
10-23-2012, 21:26
"Deserve" to be eaten for swimming/surfing/skiing in the ocean? Are you serious?

Stupid things happen when people do stupid things.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BEER
10-23-2012, 21:58

we're born without gills or fins and then we go out in the ocean where we know for a fact the sharks not only rule but are also known to attack, kill, and maim us, and for what, so we can surf for fun. this is no different from the bear guy that thought the bears loved him and then they ate him.

you think 'deserve" is the wrong term? then you tell me what word you'd use.

FLIPPER 348
10-23-2012, 22:03
[QUOTE=TheStreetKing;19549901]Stupid things happen when people do stupid things.

/QUOTE]

.....enjoying the ocean is a stupid thing??

aplcr0331
10-23-2012, 22:09
I used to live in Huntington Beach and was in the process of learning to surf (never really got it, could not turn front side real well). Anyway one day down there a fisherman caught a shark off the pier. It looked pretty big to me and it turns out it was a baby. Well, I figured Momma must have been close by and might be a little "agitated" to say the least about the loss of her cub...I stayed out of the water for almost 6 months. Still love the ocean though.

Feel bad for the surfer and his family.

JLB768
10-23-2012, 23:30
[QUOTE=TheStreetKing;19549901]Stupid things happen when people do stupid things.

/QUOTE]

Apparently. Going by his train of thought, a convenience store clerk deserves being robbed, and a kid crossing the street deserves to be run over. Oh well, I shouldn't have expected any less from his keyboard...

JLB768
10-23-2012, 23:32
I used to live in Huntington Beach and was in the process of learning to surf (never really got it, could not turn front side real well). Anyway one day down there a fisherman caught a shark off the pier. It looked pretty big to me and it turns out it was a baby. Well, I figured Momma must have been close by and might be a little "agitated" to say the least about the loss of her cub...I stayed out of the water for almost 6 months. Still love the ocean though.

Feel bad for the surfer and his family.

We used to catch small blues off of Huntington and Seal beach piers, pretty harmless, always knew they were there. Used to catch em off the jetties by the Queen Mary/Spruce Goose too.

JLB768
10-23-2012, 23:36
we're born without gills or fins and then we go out in the ocean where we know for a fact the sharks not only rule but are also known to attack, kill, and maim us, and for what, so we can surf for fun. this is no different from the bear guy that thought the bears loved him and then they ate him.

I would use unfortunate, I don't believe he deserved to be eaten for surfing, anymore than some innocent deserves to be killed by a drunk driver.

tantrix
10-23-2012, 23:41

Pretty much.

The arguments you are using aren't good comparisons...nobody forces anyone to swim/surf/ski with sharks. If you choose to do so, you chose to be on the menu.

Baba Louie
10-24-2012, 05:16
"Deserve" to be eaten for swimming/surfing/skiing in the ocean?Deserve? Nah. "Run the Risk"? Yeap. Life is full of risks. Crossing the street. Taking a shower. Climbing a ladder. Hunting in Alaska (or Italy I gather :whistling:)

Some things is "riskier" than others. Surfing being up there with oh, say "skydiving" or snowboarding/skiing (ala, Sonny Bono meets a tree) flying aircraft, etc

Things happen when you live. Sometimes death is involved. No one gets out alive I hear. But who really want to become shark poo? Sea Lions and surfers stand a pretty good chance for some reason.

Clutch Cargo
10-24-2012, 19:44
In 1982 Key Largo, I was invited to a day of spearfishing by my buddy, Kim Seibel. I could not get off work so Kim invited his cousin. Kim was killed and eaten by a 9' Mako shark.

Clutch Cargo
10-24-2012, 19:48

Sharks rule NOTHING. Great Barracudas and Orcas rule the ocean. Ever been around a 6' 80lb. 'cuda?

Armchair Commando
10-24-2012, 19:53

/QUOTE]

No surfing where great white sharks are commonly present and not expecting one to attack you is. From underneath you look like a damn seal which is a white shark favorite food.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

FLIPPER 348
10-24-2012, 20:20
[quote=FLIPPER 348;19549980]

No surfing where great white sharks are commonly present and not expecting one to attack you is.

I've happily done it for over 30 years. I was more worried about the 5 years I spent in Tiger Shark territory.

*ASH*
10-24-2012, 20:27
bottom line nothings free .

if you venture into shark infested waters and killed no pity from me

if you pick up poisonous snakes for fun and get bit and die , no sorrow from me

if you skydive and face plant , no sorrow from me

you get the point .

when i was 20 i had friend get killed cliff diving , unfortunately he did not inspect the area under water where he was to land . nearly broke him in half . he was a damn good friend but a stupid bastard .
i was asked to speak at memorial . i respected the family but i did say " he was like a brother , who did stupid things "

tantrix
10-24-2012, 20:46
if you pick up poisonous snakes for fun and get bit and die , no sorrow from me

I do this all summer long out here in the swamps and even I will admit if I get lit up trying to handle one on purpose and die, I don't expect any sympathy from you or anyone else.

On the flip side, when I do that I am in total control...but when flailing around in the ocean (where humans are piss poor at swimming compared to most everything) with a bunch of carnivores, nobody else is in control of anything. If a shark, 'cuda, orca, or anything else wants to bite you in half...it's going to.

LAWDOGKMS
10-24-2012, 21:16
Sharks rule NOTHING. Great Barracudas and Orcas rule the ocean. Ever been around a 6' 80lb. 'cuda?

Yes I have...and they don't intimidate me as much as a human-conditioned shark..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lawdog1971/2e11aa517a2236eab5500ae5d703fbfd.jpg

*ASH*
10-24-2012, 21:42
I do this all summer long out here in the swamps and even I will admit if I get lit up trying to handle one on purpose and die, I don't expect any sympathy from you or anyone else.

On the flip side, when I do that I am in total control...but when flailing around in the ocean (where humans are piss poor at swimming compared to most everything) with a bunch of carnivores, nobody else is in control of anything. If a shark, 'cuda, orca, or anything else wants to bite you in half...it's going to.

yeah i seen your pics , brass that clanks my friend :wavey:

few years ago off our coast on outer banks , we had a rash ofbull shark attacks , an english couple vacationing got lit up by a bull , he died , she lost a foot . before they went swimming a few other attacks had happened in same area , they were warned plus went swimming at dusk . i just dont get it .

gruntmedik
10-24-2012, 21:46
Surf or swim in Great White territory, you can't be surprised if you get tasted. Same as go walking through the 'hood, you can't be surprised if you get mugged.

It's all about choice.

tantrix
10-24-2012, 21:53
yeah i seen your pics , brass that clanks my friend :wavey:

Ah, not really...you just have to be really careful. The day that my heart rate doesn't increase and I stop getting adrenaline dumps when handling venomous snakes, that will be the last day I handle one, because I'm too comfortable. Same goes for gators. When you're not scared anymore is when you need to stop.

few years ago off our coast on outer banks , we had a rash ofbull shark attacks , an english couple vacationing got lit up by a bull , he died , she lost a foot . before they went swimming a few other attacks had happened in same area , they were warned plus went swimming at dusk . i just dont get it .

Exactly what I touched on above...they thought it wasn't going to happen to them, and they got comfortable with going into the ocean. Simply put, if there isn't some kind of evasive action you can do to avoid getting bitten or eaten by something...you shouldn't do it. While swimming in the ocean, no evasive action is possible. Do the math there.

dre23
10-24-2012, 21:58
Great White attacks are pretty rare, Bull sharks if I am not mistaken are the #1 for attacks. That being said "deserve" I think was probably the wrong choice of words. everything we do has some kind of risk involved. To me surfing is no different than hunting in bear country. A life lived with no risk at all would be a fairly boring life IMHO.