Promoted to Corporal! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Promoted to Corporal!

GSD17
10-23-2012, 21:57
First off, I haven't been on GT in forever it seems. This seemed to be the most logical place to brag. :wavey:

I have intentionally passed this interview up twice now. I finally decided that it was time for me to act.

I know that Corporal vaires from agency to agency.

In mine - you are an FTO, the supervisor in the absence of your Sergeant and are a general "leader" of your squad.

I am on my third and largest agency. I have always been the unofficial FTO of all three of my departments but have never wanted to go for the promotion.

All agencies are political, I know. My current one seems to be pretty bad. I don't let them affect me for the most part.

The straw that broke the camel's back here is the FTOs. Even though I had 5 years of experience, when I got picked up, I had to go into an abbreviated FTO. The FTO was horrible (absolutely NO officer safety, retired on duty, waaaaay too many 4th amendment violations going on and generally a stupid person alltogether).

I passed the first sign up sheet because I felt that I needed more time in the agency before looking for chevrons. I passed it again because I was disgruntled at the time and didn't want to give them the pleasure of having me apply (I was asked alot by people of varying ranks).

Finally, I lost my S**t when I saw the HANDS DOWN worst member of our squad get promoted. It was a total example of a stupid, worthless, unknowlegable person training new people.

I applied and nailed it. Now I can give my input and try to break the chain of "blinders on, do the minimum" new guys.

I've been filling my new shoes for about a week now, am loving it and am hearing good reviews. Wish me luck!

Newcop761
10-23-2012, 22:29
Congrats on the promotion!

Train the new guys the right way. Short cuts and laziness lead to hurt cops and bad case law.

DaBigBR
10-23-2012, 22:35
Congratulations! You owe us twenty good ones for not posting for so long, though.

Ftttu
10-24-2012, 01:48
Congrats! In mine, there is no test, and we do all that you posted. Our corporal stripes just mean 5 years of grade. There are diamonds and stars added later, but that is for more time in grade.

collim1
10-24-2012, 01:59
Congrats. I have passed on several promotional processes in the last few years waiting on a better administration to come in. Guess I didn't want to be any closer to the poo pile than I had to be.

Now its looking like I am about to be working for guys that I still consider rookies.

I dont want to be a shift supervisor, but at the same time I dont want to be working for guys with significantly less time in than me.

Officer X
10-24-2012, 04:02
Congratulations!

x_out86
10-24-2012, 06:44

Finally, I lost my S**t when I saw the HANDS DOWN worst member of our squad get promoted. It was a total example of a stupid, worthless, unknowlegable person training new people.

Exactly why even when disenchanted, you should apply for the promotion. If they cant choose the most qualified candidate, they have to choose from whats left. Then all it does is screw you and everybody else in the long run.

JBaird22
10-24-2012, 09:50
The line of thinking "If not me then who else" is flawed. I found myself in your position 2 years ago and now I am looking at alternatives to get the stripes off my sleeve. Never again will I take a supervisory position beyond FTO.

But hey, good luck with it!

Agent6-3/8
10-24-2012, 14:00
Congrats!

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

razdog76
10-24-2012, 15:38
Good job!

JC2317
10-24-2012, 16:26
Congratulations. FTO is a big responsibility. Sounds like you are ready and able. Good Luck!

PinkoCommie
10-24-2012, 16:39
Congratulations!

I was promoted to sergeant a few months ago. I expected supervising the officers to be a challenge. That turned out to be the easy part. Insulating them from the BS that goes on at the office so they can do what they do best is the hard part. I'm sure you'll do great for your officers.

Hack
10-24-2012, 20:38
Congratulations and good luck.

I work at a rank that would probably be equivalent in grade, but a little different. In the officer part of BOP you don't reach supervisory level until you reach LT GL-9, which means there are no SGTs or Corporals. But, we mentor those who are rookies, take them under our wings, and teach them, and fill in as acting LT when needed. The reason for not making us official supervisors is a union thing, so that they can have more members in the union with greater work experience.

Cochese
10-24-2012, 20:57
Coincidentally, I was just bullied into testing as well. We don't call it a Corporal because the finance folks wouldn't let us have another rank so it is called MPO or Master Police Officer. It is one chevron with MPO under it.

Same general duties though. Congrats GSD.

GSD17
10-24-2012, 21:16
Coincidentally, I was just bullied into testing as well. We don't call it a Corporal because the finance folks wouldn't let us have another rank so it is called MPO or Master Police Officer. It is one chevron with MPO under it.

Same general duties though. Congrats GSD.

Our pay is governed by a civil service board. They don't recognize the rank of Coroporal, either. With an agency near the size of 100 sworn (not counting jail), the only LE ranks we have are Sheriff, Chief Deputy, 7 Sergeants and the rest are slick sleeves. Cpl isn't a paying rank step . . . we do get more leeway with OT, though.

GSD17
10-24-2012, 21:19
Thanks for all the "congrats", btw.

I woke up pumped and ready to go in . . . only to get screwed. Skimpy jail staff caused me to have to sit for 6 hours in the hospital with an inmate faking seizures.

I get done, put him in the car, pull out of the parking lot and *thump* - here comes more BS seizures. BACK to the hospital. After a good, "quit being a F'in moron" talkin' to, he seems to feel better and we go to jail.

The Sergeant stole my rook for the day . . I then proceeded to get hammered with walk in reports and jail issues.

I burned my short day (one per pay period) and went home.

Better luck tomorrow. . .

Cochese
10-24-2012, 21:23
Our pay is governed by a civil service board. They don't recognize the rank of Coroporal, either. With an agency near the size of 100 sworn (not counting jail), the only LE ranks we have are Sheriff, Chief Deputy, 7 Sergeants and the rest are slick sleeves. Cpl isn't a paying rank step . . . we do get more leeway with OT, though.

We have a little under 200 including jail. Ours is an assignment rather than a rank. It isn't a paying rank step either. You get a bonus at the end of the year I think. Assuming its in the budget. You also get OT as a FTO which for me is $50 an hour.

DaBigBR
10-24-2012, 21:33

I'm not one for being oversupervised, but that's NUTS!

And FWIW, our FTOs get 10% extra pay while actually training somebody.

indigent
10-24-2012, 22:41
I get done, put him in the car, pull out of the parking lot and *thump* - here comes more BS seizures. BACK to the hospital. After a good, "quit being a F'in moron" talkin' to, he seems to feel better and we go to jail.

Acute Incarcertitis is a horrible affliction......

A good finger flick to the eye lid always clears up the seizures that are brought on by being locked up....

merlynusn
10-25-2012, 04:35
Our PTOs get 5% extra, but it's not a rank.

Heck, we have Chief, Deputy Chief, Major, Captain, Lieutenant, Sergeant, and Officers. But we also have over 1700 sworn.

And Congrats GSD for the advancement. Sounds like you'll do great. PTO is the one thing I wish I had gotten a chance to do that I haven't done yet.

GSD17
10-25-2012, 21:47
Yeah, ranks really crack me up in some agencies.

There is a thread from WAY back on here somewhere where I explain my first agency.

There, it was a very small agency . . . less than 10.

There was the Chief, Deputy Chief and 2 Sergeants. I was THE only slicksleeve lol.

My 2nd agency had Chief, Captain, Lieutenant, 5 Sergeants and about 10 slicksleeves.

Where I work now, I couldn't begin to tell you our totals.
Guessing . . .

* Sheriff
* Chief Deputy
* 7 LE Sergeants (4 patrol, 1 Investigations, 1 Special Investigations, 1 Court Services/SRO)
* 4 Patrol Corporals
* 20-25 patrol slick sleeves
* 2 USMS task force guys
* 5-10 invesigators
* 2 narcotics investigators
* 3 full time civil servers
* somewhere between 7-10 SROs
* somewhere between 10-15 courthouse guys
* a few certified part timers and reserves
* a whole gaggle of reserves, some I've never seen, some I've seen once and will never see again
* a few certified admin types (motorpool, etc.)
* a jail admin
* a jail lieutenant
* 4 jail sgts.
* who knows how many jailers
The area after that grays. . . . who knows.

GRIMLET
10-25-2012, 22:46
I am Master Sergeant. That means I have been there over 8 years and didnt get written up too many times.
Its funny to see some Corporals and Sergeants try that rank pulling stuff at my dept. on the new guys/ gals.
I bust them out and explain, "If the shield aint gold, you dont have to do as youre told".
We have a career ladder for advancement which allows officers raises/ promotions.
Congrats to the OP for his promo. There it seems to mean something.

cowboywannabe
10-26-2012, 03:37
good for you old buddy. moving up is generally a good move. it opens other oportunities later on. im stuck where i am, cant go any higher unless the chief and captain quit the same day, they wont make any lt. slots, did away with the last one we had when the roj we had officially retired. i cant lateral, no room in the two man CID. thats it, i make too much money (if you can call it that) to take a pay cut (~$4-5/hr) to go to any other agency that i can afford to drive to.

i really should have done my home work when i decided to get back in to policing instead of being all gun-ho, jumping in, getting stuck and wishing i hadnt.

cowboywannabe
10-26-2012, 03:42
I'm not one for being oversupervised, but that's NUTS!

And FWIW, our FTOs get 10% extra pay while actually training somebody.

you get extra money for FTO?!:faint: lucky dogs.

ive turned down instructor twice because it wont get me any more pay and will only add more collateral duties which i dont have time for. thank you no.

CJStudent
10-27-2012, 09:04
Congrats, man!

Ajon412
10-27-2012, 09:30
Congrats, Brother and best of luck with it.....:wavey:

janice6
10-27-2012, 09:44
Congratulations. remember: "No good deed goes unpunished".

I was once asked by my Department Manager, "What do you see as MY (his) most important job around here?".

I told him that to me, his job was to keep all the upper management off my back and let me try to do my job the best I know how. Of course, this made no difference.

JuneyBooney
10-27-2012, 22:04
Congrats on your promotion. I know some agencies are very difficult to get promoted in. Good luck and I hope your career advances right along.:cool: