At the Range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : At the Range

buddalo
10-23-2012, 22:02
Is there a good way to collect your spent brass ? Mine were flying every where and tough to pick up.

Thanks,

Buddie

F106 Fan
10-23-2012, 22:21
There are some open mesh tarps at Harbor Freight but it seems to me like I would need a lot of them to cover a typical action pistol stage. Plus we shoot guns that actually eject the brass instead of letting it dribble out of the port. My P220 shoots the brass about 10 feet to the side and 3 feet back.

I have tried the nut-picker-uppers http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25715/catid/27/Brass_Wand and, while they work, they are slow.

So, we wind up on our hands and knees, wearing knee pads, of course.

With two of us picking, it only takes about 10 minutes to clean up several hundred rounds of brass.

Richard

Larry_Waters
10-23-2012, 22:23
The club I tend to mostly shoot at here locally lets me police my own brass. The Range Masters are usually pretty good at not only allowing me to snag my brass but bring some to me and it's mostly sorted when they bring it. That said...

I show up and sweep the 2-3 stalls to my right as well as my own. Then after every few reloads I police my brass and collect anything local that interests me. :)

I always chat up the other shooters to make sure they are not collecting brass neither. Funny I've only met one guy who also collected his brass up there, most everyone else brings fresh ammo or uses the range reloads. Some place I have 2 homer buckets one filled with .45 brass and a mix of .40, .223 30-30, .308, .38/357 and who knows what else...

TK-421
10-23-2012, 22:39
My brass flies everywhere when I shoot, it goes to the right, it goes out front, it goes behind me, it goes to the left of me, it'd be way too hard to set something up to collect my brass for me. And I don't feel like spending the time to pick up my own brass, since it goes everywhere. So I just leave it on the ground. Oh the joys of shooting underneath cover. Besides, the range says you're only supposed to pick up your own brass, and only if you marked it as your's. They say they need to pick up all left over brass so they can sell it to help make up some of their expenses. But that place is deep in brass, so I highly doubt they ever pick up spent brass. And if they do, it's like once a year. So I could pick up brass, and I'm sure I could pick up all the brass I wanted, but I don't, too much of a hassle.