Oooook. Pulled some bullets... Now what [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oooook. Pulled some bullets... Now what

RYT 2BER
10-23-2012, 22:18
I just pulled about 15 hand loads I wasn't comfortable with..

Got back my powder... Bullets and of course I am left with primed brass...

If I want to reuse these, I would have to run then through the sizing die (1st position in my turret) which also wants to pop out the live primer.

I am assuming this isnt a good idea at all yes? Should I just toss this brass into the trash?

F106 Fan
10-23-2012, 22:25
Remove the decapping pin from the sizing die and go to work.

I have decapped a lot of live primers over the years. I don't imagine it is the best thing to do but I have never had a problem. I just go slow.

Richard

shotgunred
10-24-2012, 05:56
You basically have three choices.
1.throw the brass away.
2.Resize them and lose the primer (go slow and they wont go off).
3.Remove the primer pin resize and reuse.

If it just a couple I will go with option 2. More than that I go with option 3.

wdphillips
10-24-2012, 06:08
I have a Lee universal de-priming die (does not size) on a Lee hand press. I can slowly de-prime the brass and be on my way.

M24C
10-24-2012, 06:49
If the brass is good, I usually will resize and deprime the good primer. I will on my 550 Dillon Empty the used primer catcher. So I can easily recover the primer. Go slow with safety glasses on. Do all of them and reuse the primers and throw away any bad cases at that time.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

HexHead
10-24-2012, 07:04
If the brass is good, I usually will resize and deprime the good primer. I will on my 550 Dillon Empty the used primer catcher. So I can easily recover the primer. Go slow with safety glasses on. Do all of them and reuse the primers and throw away any bad cases at that time.

That's what I do as well.

RYT 2BER
10-24-2012, 09:35
You basically have three choices.
1.throw the brass away.
2.Resize them and lose the primer (go slow and they wont go off).
3.Remove the primer pin resize and reuse.

If it just a couple I will go with option 2. More than that I go with option 3.

Its about 15.... option 2?

Colorado4Wheel
10-24-2012, 09:43
Just pull the primer punch. You got Lee dies. Look at where it is now, use a closed in wrench to loosen it. It will fall out the bottom. Reinstall at the same height when done. Tighten that thing down pretty good so it doesn't slip. Closed end wrench IMHO.

Chris Chris
10-24-2012, 09:54
I'm not certain from your post as to why you pulled the bullets in the handloads. Was it because of the powder charge that did not produce desired results? If that's the case and the loads were properly sized/belled/and bullets seated when they were initially assembled, all you need to do is re-bell the cases, charge and seat a new bullet.

If you pulled bullets for another reason, I would just toss the brass. 15 pieces of brass isn't worth worrying about.

unclebob
10-24-2012, 10:09
I'm not certain from your post as to why you pulled the bullets in the handloads. Was it because of the powder charge that did not produce desired results? If that's the case and the loads were properly sized/belled/and bullets seated when they were initially assembled, all you need to do is re-bell the cases, charge and seat a new bullet.

If you pulled bullets for another reason, I would just toss the brass. 15 pieces of brass isn't worth worrying about.

If you pull a bullet and an you are going to reload the same case again? You resize the case.

F106 Fan
10-24-2012, 10:31
Its about 15.... option 2?

I would pull the decapping pin as I suggested above.

Under no condition would I reuse the primer and I really don't like disposing of live primers. Sure, I can soak them in WD40 or Breakfree but that's no guarantee that they won't go off some time later.

But, if you really want, there is nothing wrong with option 2. Except for disposal...

Richard

RYT 2BER
10-24-2012, 11:55
Yes my reasons for wanting to dump these rounds was that these were the very first ones I did... My settings were off and after checking, I realized I was seating the bullet too deep.

These were.40 although very light charge, but again being that they were set too deep made me nervous..

So out came the puller last night... I finished just before my wife came in and killed me since those kinetic pullers make a crap load of noise.. I got my powder back, and the bullets are gtg... I just figured all and all the brass was probably ok since it was just a bullet set too deep..

Again though.. its true... 15 cases are worth less than a $1... so why even risk it, so I guess just dumping them may be the best way to go... At least I got the bullets and powder back :)

Colorado4Wheel
10-24-2012, 12:00
Nothing wrong with reusing them. It's no different then if you shot them and resized them. Just pull the decapper already and get going with it.

sig357fan
10-24-2012, 12:31
I use a hand primer for all my brass so none of my reloads get primed on the press. I use Lee handgun dies and they all have the decapping pin removed.

Pull the decapping pin and run them through the press as you normally would, just make sure your priming system is empty.

Sig357fan

F106 Fan
10-24-2012, 13:37
There's been more time spent typing responses to this issue than it would take to remove the decapping pin and resize the cases. It would take, what, 5 minutes?

FWIW, this is only the first time you have pulled bullets, it certainly won't be the last. You might as well establish a procedure.

Richard

SARDG
10-24-2012, 13:58
...FWIW, this is only the first time you have pulled bullets, it certainly won't be the last. You might as well establish a procedure.

Richard
My procedure is:

1) get a bucket-load before fooling with them

2) then use a collet puller

:faint:

unclebob
10-24-2012, 14:27
The easiest way is just to pull the decapping pin. Or you can deprime and reuse the primers. What is the big deal you use them at the practice range. As for WD40 it takes about 3 days to deactivate the primer covered with WD40 it, then when it dries out you have a live primer again.

snowwdog
10-24-2012, 14:31
why not just fire them empty? it makes a good bang but nothing comes out but a little fire from barrel.

M24C
10-24-2012, 14:44
why not just fire them empty? it makes a good bang but nothing comes out but a little fire from barrel.

I use to Do that shoot them dead out the gun until I put one in backwards. I Could Not do it then. I didn't want to leave a live primer in the case. I now just deprime them all, after I collect some to do.

I've not had problems reusing those I deprimed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

gwalchmai
10-25-2012, 09:18
Ahh, the primal fear of a live primer again.

Just remove the decapping pin and resize. They'll be fine. Don't forget to replace the pin...

Steve Koski
10-25-2012, 10:41
Dude,

If you're just didn't like the load or the powder charge, you can re-use everything.

Best practice: Pull the decapping stem as discussed above, reload. Re-use the primed cases with the primers still installed. No reason to fear 'em.

OK practice: Just bell the cases, charge with powder, seat a new bullet, crimp. I've done this many times with pistol ammo and it works fine. Once in a blue moon you may find that the bullet isn't held firmly by the case, which is why the best practice is preferred.

Koski