Anything good in pantry after two years? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anything good in pantry after two years?

JuneyBooney
10-24-2012, 00:09
Well, two years ago my mom passed away and I have finally gotten around to cleaning the pantry and kitchen cabinets out. Would there be anything still good or is everything bad? I have been throwing most out but I was wondering if this is necessary. I did keep some pepper and salt. Thanks

Hamilton Burger
10-24-2012, 00:15
Check dates on canned goods. Dried grains like flour or rice might be OK, depending on how stored. Look for Twinkies.

skeeter7
10-24-2012, 00:47
Any honey in there? That stuff lasts forever.

Kozel
10-24-2012, 00:50
Canned goods are OK as long as lids are not bulged. I ate some very old food from cans that were too rusted to see expiration date on them and I am still very much alive.

JuneyBooney
10-24-2012, 01:36
Thanks folks. I was throwing out everything. Now I can probably save some of the stuff and use it.

TKM
10-24-2012, 01:43
It wasn't food poisoning by any chance?

clancy
10-24-2012, 05:00
I had some Stove Top stuffing last nigth my GF found in the back of the pantry. It didn't taste good, so I checked the expiration date. June of 07. I am still here, with no noticeable side effects yet. But man, it sucked! I can usually eat a whole box in one sitting. I ate about half my 1st helping before I gave up.

sourdough44
10-24-2012, 05:03
Years ago I was out doing maneuvers on an Army base. I would find old 'C-ration' cans partially buried in the ground, but not punctured. I cut them open with my p-38 & ate away, I'm still here.

Al Czervik
10-24-2012, 07:14
Honey, syrups, molasses, sugars, and vinegars should all be fine.
Oils can turn, but a smell test will tell reveal this.
Herbs and spices lose their potency after that long.
I wouldn't trust flours. You could be introducing pantry pests into your house.
Unless the canned stuff is something you really want, 2 years past the expiration date is more risk than it is worth, unless your survival depends on it.