Flagstaff officer resigns after bludgeoning/strangling dog to death [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flagstaff officer resigns after bludgeoning/strangling dog to death

SGT HATRED
10-24-2012, 07:09
One of those WTF was he thinking threads...

Saw this on the news this morning and couldn't help but say Jesus Christ out loud to myself.

http://dcourier.com/m/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=112162

ray9898
10-24-2012, 07:25
My God...why not just shoot it? If you can't because of the surroundings then call Animal Control and let them put it down. My guess is Animal Control wasn't readily available at 2:30am and they were in a residential area where they were apprehensive to use a firearm.

.264 magnum
10-24-2012, 07:35
Anyone that stupid should not be a peace officer.

NeverMore1701
10-24-2012, 07:36

/thread.

Sveke
10-24-2012, 07:41
What a fing moron.

How else would you dispatch a wounded animal other than your firearm?

I'm not even a crazy dog person but that dude needs a head or gut shot for that one, and by shot I mean a nice roundhouse or uppercut like the bus driver.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

John Rambo
10-24-2012, 07:45
Some people just like inflicting pain and causing suffering.

Sveke
10-24-2012, 07:51
Some people just like inflicting pain and causing suffering.

I'm all for setting up an island penal colony for those types.

Kinda like Australia back in the day.

Gareth68
10-24-2012, 07:56
In a shocking case, Deputy Navajo County Attorney Michael Tunink decided not to charge a Flagstaff police officer who intentionally, knowingly, recklessly and gruesomely mistreated and killed an owned dog without owner consent - even though the owner was within close proximity at the time of the killing.

I, personally, would have found it more shocking if the officer was held to the same standards as anyone else and HAD been charged.

Sveke
10-24-2012, 07:56
I, personally, would have found it more shocking if the officer was held to the same standards as anyone else and HAD been charged.

Haha, awesome. ^^^^^^

.264 magnum
10-24-2012, 08:01

I was thinking the same.

ateamer
10-24-2012, 08:12
What an idiot. If he didn't know his department's policy on discharge of firearms (and it looks like his agency allows them to dispatch animals), he's a lop because that is something every academy recruit knows by the midterm inspection. If he didn't think he could make the shot succesfully from three or four feet, then he is just unbelievably useless.

I've heard of similar, but far less extreme, examples at other agencies. The guys who make those decisions are not known for beng the sharpest cops and everyone else has to pul their dumb asses out of the fire when they do stupid things.

hpracing007
10-24-2012, 08:17

I would have been shocked too... If giving a dog a 30 min beating till death doesn't qualify... what the hell would a cop have to do to get charged?

ray9898
10-24-2012, 08:37
If he didn't think he could make the shot succesfully from three or four feet, then he is just unbelievably useless.

The only think I can think of is the fear of a ricochet if it was a heavy residential area. We normally carry a few bird shot loads for those type scenarios.

Sveke
10-24-2012, 08:40
Don't all cops have a shotgun in the trunk just for this type of thing?

Choot him!!

Carrys
10-24-2012, 08:47
Don't all cops have a shotgun in the trunk just for this type of thing?

Choot him!!

That tells me 'bout all I need to know concerning your knowledge of..............................well, just about anything.:rofl:

"Hey Joe!....................got your shotgun for killin' animals with ya?:tongueout:

Gee Mo Nee.

NDCent
10-24-2012, 08:49
Hell, running over him again would have been much quicker.

SGT HATRED
10-24-2012, 17:38
I would have been shocked too... If giving a dog a 30 min beating till death doesn't qualify... what the hell would a cop have to do to get charged?

Good question...

Dragoon44
10-24-2012, 17:49
Life is hard,

it's even harder when you're stupid.

SGT HATRED
10-24-2012, 18:09
Now that I can agree with...

Clutch Cargo
10-24-2012, 18:35
How cool if the dog was highly trained or a showdog and he has to make $50,000 restitution (plus pain and suffering)

jfost11
10-24-2012, 18:39
What an idiot. ... he is just unbelievably useless.
That's about all I can come up with.

I did manage to find a the dash cam video of the incident.
:deadhorse: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hell, running over him again would have been much quicker.

Running over the dog or the moron with the badge?
As much of an idiot that Tewes is, if the owner had been responsible enough to keep the dog in it's yard, this wouldn't have happened.

*ASH*
10-24-2012, 18:42

BAZINGA , and does anyone have any grainy video of incident ?

gjk5
10-24-2012, 20:02

exactly. sounds like a case of the terminal stupids, not cruelty.

Brucev
10-24-2012, 20:12
From the article it appears that the boys are taking care of one of the boys. Right or wrong doesn't have anything to do with it. It's what happens when people forget or worse when people abuse their duty.

Odd. The officer states that when ut hunting he regularly bludgeons animals to death. Almost certainly such a method is not legally permitted by the state game and fish laws. Given that he admits his actual criminal activity, why would he still be employed as a police officer?

*ASH*
10-24-2012, 20:16
From the article it appears that the boys are taking care of one of the boys. Right or wrong doesn't have anything to do with it. It's what happens when people forget or worse when people abuse their duty.

Odd. The officer states that when ut hunting he regularly bludgeons animals to death. Almost certainly such a method is not legally permitted by the state game and fish laws. Given that he admits his actual criminal activity, why would he still be employed as a police officer?

different set of rules .

Gallium
10-24-2012, 20:28
wow. what were the odds that this cop and his brother both got into hot water during the same week?

jfost11
10-24-2012, 20:56

He's not still employed. The article states, "...Chief Treadway informed me that Tewes, who had violated numerous department policies, had resigned from the Flagstaff Police Department."

I'm sure his resignation was highly recommended to him.

NMGlocker
10-24-2012, 21:04
Crap... if you're in a residential area load the dog into the trunk and drive it to a vacant lot to shoot it. Heck, cut its throat if you have to.
Beating it for 30 minutes with a baton then strangling it to death is just plain stupid.

ilgunguygt
10-24-2012, 21:24

Seriously? What do you think people do when they shoot a squirrel or rabbit and it isnt dead? Most arent going to shoot it again, especially if using a shot gun. I have seen everything from breaking its neck in your hands, picking it up by the hind end and smacking its head on the ground or tree, to just stepping on its head.

JuneyBooney
10-25-2012, 00:15
That is horrible, gruesome and f'in sick.:shocked: That poor animal.

lunarspeak
10-25-2012, 00:25
Seriously? What do you think people do when they shoot a squirrel or rabbit and it isnt dead? Most arent going to shoot it again, especially if using a shot gun. I have seen everything from breaking its neck in your hands, picking it up by the hind end and smacking its head on the ground or tree, to just stepping on its head.

that takes what 1 second to do and its dead,,,he beat the dog for 30 min and still had to strangle it

and if he couldnt beat a dog to death with his baton after that long..i wouldnot be scared of getting into a fight with this guy

TK-421
10-25-2012, 00:28

Well, they don't get charged for DUI, they don't get charged for beating the **** out of someone, and they don't get charged for wrongfully killing someone. Cops must be above the law. Hell, think about what happened outside the Empire State Building. The cops were shooting at a suspect and hit 9 innocent bystanders. "Ricochets" or not, if you or I did that, we'd be rotting in jail. But since they were cops, the civilians were basically told "Quit *****ing and suck it up."

ilgunguygt
10-25-2012, 00:42
that takes what 1 second to do and its dead,,,he beat the dog for 30 min and still had to strangle it

and if he couldnt beat a dog to death with his baton after that long..i wouldnot be scared of getting into a fight with this guy
Point made. I had not really considered the fact that the guy spent that long doing it.

Ohio Copper
10-25-2012, 11:09
What the hell...that's some crazy stuff right there.

Per policy we are not permitted to dispatch domestic animals (unless its a matter of officer safety), its a good thing too. That's how you end up buying animals for people.
Now deer on the other hand, Christ I have 3 this month alone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ray9898
10-25-2012, 11:26
What the hell...that's some crazy stuff right there.

Per policy we are not permitted to dispatch domestic animals (unless its a matter of officer safety), its a good thing too. That's how you end up buying animals for people.
Now deer on the other hand, Christ I have 3 this month alone.

Same in my department. If a domestic animal needs to be put down it has to suffer until animal control can get to us to do it 'humanely'. Wild animals get shot. I used to use my pistol but once I realized how great bird shot was at close distances even on deer I always use that.