Texans participate in Road Carnage Experiment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Texans participate in Road Carnage Experiment

Vic777
10-24-2012, 09:02
A lot of Texans will be giving their lives to obtain accurate data for Hwy/Speed experiment. When they raise the speed limit to 85 we will have very accurate information detailing the relationship between Hwy Speed and number of fatalities. If the Limit is 85, can you do 100 without getting a ticket? Texas has found a way to use Darwinism to lower the welfare roles. Can you do a yard in that old Harley Bagger? What do the pipes sound like at 100? Woot! Woot!

Phaze5ive
10-24-2012, 09:06
I don't know about Texas, but here in Atlanta 85 sounds like the norm.

Sveke
10-24-2012, 09:08
Yeah, nothing will happen.

We drive 100mph up here in CT all the time, and we have no space.

Everything will be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NeverMore1701
10-24-2012, 09:09
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!

Blood in the streets!

(another mindless panicked exclamation!)

frank4570
10-24-2012, 09:10
It will be a non issue.

"Blood on the highways! Blood on the highways!"

Sveke
10-24-2012, 09:13
We're way overdue for an Autobahn type of highway anyways.

Germans been doing it for years.

Altaris
10-24-2012, 09:19
A lot of Texans will be giving their lives to obtain accurate data for Hwy/Speed experiment. When they raise the speed limit to 85 we will have very accurate information detailing the relationship between Hwy Speed and number of fatalities. If the Limit is 85, can you do 100 without getting a ticket? Texas has found a way to use Darwinism to lower the welfare roles. Can you do a yard in that old Harley Bagger? What do the pipes sound like at 100? Woot! Woot!

As has been posted on the multiple other threads on this the past few months....if you are not capable of driving at that speed, stay on the main road(I-35) with all of the traffic.

Geko45
10-24-2012, 09:21
I'm sorry, but way out west Texas or up in the pan handle there are plenty of areas where there just ain't no one around. Might as well raise the speed limit to 85 and let people get where they are going quicker.

G36's Rule
10-24-2012, 09:35

Hyperbole, you are it!

The Machinist
10-24-2012, 09:39
Oh please. I made a road trip to Colorado from Oregon a few months back, and drove 80-100 the entire time. No slow, inept, or fearful drivers were harmed in the making of that journey.

An interesting, but not so surprising side note: I saw more professional ticket-writers in Oregon, than in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado combined. There and back.

frank4570
10-24-2012, 09:41

Germans take their driving a lot more serious than we do. So I don't agree 100%.

Sveke
10-24-2012, 09:42
Germans take their driving a lot more serious than we do. So I don't agree 100%.

I agree with you but if we had one we'd take it more serious too.

Gareth68
10-24-2012, 10:00
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!

Blood in the streets!

The Doors: Peace Frog - YouTube

MadMonkey
10-24-2012, 10:14
I drove back to DFW from Yuma and averaged 67mph, including stops (one for 45 minutes waiting for a calzone). I don't think it's going to hurt anything, I had people passing me constantly.

HollowHead
10-24-2012, 10:28

If we hire German cops to handle driving tests and vehicle inspections, I'm all for it. HH

tsmo1066
10-24-2012, 10:29

You obviously aren't very familiar with Texas.

The speed limit isn't going to be changed to 85 on all highways, this is primarily going to be used for rural/desert highways out in West Texas where there are vast stretches of good road and very little traffic.

If you'd ever made a long drive in West Texas, you'd understand this law completely.

xArcher
10-24-2012, 11:53
A lot of Texans will be giving their lives to obtain accurate data for Hwy/Speed experiment. When they raise the speed limit to 85 we will have very accurate information detailing the relationship between Hwy Speed and number of fatalities.

This newly opened tollway roughly parallels a congested existing freeway. But for many, the total distance traveled is miles greater. To entice commuters to use and pay for the the longer tollway route, the speed limit was increased to equalize the time factor.

I wish Texas would stop using transportation related funds/taxes to pay for feel-good projects that are unrelated to transportation.

.264 magnum
10-24-2012, 11:59
This newly opened tollway roughly parallels a congested existing freeway. But for many, the total distance traveled is miles greater. To entice commuters to use and pay for the the longer tollway route, the speed limit was increased to equalize the time factor.

I wish Texas would stop using transportation related funds/taxes to pay for feel-good projects that are unrelated to transportation.

That's a really jaundiced view of this thing. For a lot of other people it's closer than i35. Given the ridiculous traffic on i35 this thing could be many miles farther and still offer a shorter drive time.

130 plus the bypass around Austin are modern miracles IMO.

dango
10-24-2012, 12:00
Yo....! Tous..? You are the man , the voice of Texas , at least
in my book ! :supergrin: How fast you-all , Yaul , Yourn , Yooz,
Whatever.! :supergrin:

How Fast Do you ?
Next-Road-Kill , Talk , Please.

Altaris
10-24-2012, 12:06

How Fast Do you ?

What??? :dunno:

aircarver
10-24-2012, 12:06
It's just a recognition of how fast people are driving already.

It merely removes the happy hunting ground for revenue greedy municipalities.... :supergrin:

dango
10-24-2012, 12:24
What??? :dunno:

What back at you....? :supergrin: Do you think I have rhyme
or reason ? I fearlessly will throw anything out there.No reason,
just like gravity , just is.......! :supergrin: Only looking for entertainment that's all ! That my friend is the price of my insanity , your reactions , Like a good shrink with no BILL !

Gallium
10-24-2012, 12:32
I recently wrote the NYS Dept of Transportation and the State Police, thanking them for increasing the speed limit on both the I-95 and NY Thruway (I-87) to 70MPH.

I knew the limit was 70 because people in the SLOW lane were doing 65-68, people in the passing lane(s) were doing 75-80.

I received a terse reply back from them telling me the limit is still 55 in that stretch, I replied again and signed my name (M2 Carbine :)), and told them to bugger off

frizz
10-24-2012, 13:04

The Interstate Highways are a copy of the German Autobahn. Eisenhower saw it and recognized its value for military logistics and commerce. It is named after him, and sometimes you'll see signs mentioning it on entrances.

I have seen pics of German Autobahn which were taken in the 1940s. The roads have two lanes in each direction and a separating median; one of them has an overpass visible. They look exactly like US Interstates!

If we can just require the same abilities that the Germans require, we can jack those speed limits right on up.

frizz
10-24-2012, 13:05
I recently wrote the NYS Dept of Transportation and the State Police, thanking them for increasing the speed limit on both the I-95 and NY Thruway (I-87) to 70MPH.

I knew the limit was 70 because people in the SLOW lane were doing 65-68, people in the passing lane(s) were doing 75-80.

I received a terse reply back from them telling me the limit is still 55 in that stretch, I replied again and signed my name (M2 Carbine :)), and told them to bugger off

:laughabove:

I love it. Brilliant!

frizz
10-24-2012, 13:07

How Fast Do you ?

Will they give the roadkill to Honey Boo Boo?

dango
10-24-2012, 13:50
Will they give the roadkill to Honey Boo Boo?

I am by choice , un-plugged and live in a very sheltered with very little population , sort of place !

Honey Boo Boo.....? I really don't know if I should ax but I do claim to be Somewhat fearless so's.......Please to elaborate,
What is Honey Boo Boo..? :dunno: The PUNCH-LINE is slightly
over my head and this may very-well be funny ? Help..!

Rotn1
10-24-2012, 14:43
As many of you who have driven the Autoban will know, the speed limit, is not "unlimited".
Electronic speed signs control for traffic density and weather and road conditions. The autoban popo are very strict to any dangerous or illegal driving habits. Tailgating and passing on the right will certainly get you stopped.
I would be good with higher variable limits in the USA based on conditions but we would have to raise our driving standards.
In terms of west Texas........ it make s perfect sense to me.

meangreenlx50
10-24-2012, 14:57
Unlimited sections of the Autobahn still exist and until the Green parties and Labor parties got involved the Autobahn was great. But the enviros didn't like the fast cars and now most german cars are limited to 155mph and labor got heavy truck on the Autobahn which makes it extremely dangerous.

RWBlue
10-24-2012, 15:09

Wow, you sound like a gun grabber talking about how there will be blood in the streets when they allow CCW.

I just don't see it happening.

DanaT
10-24-2012, 15:15
They look exactly like US Interstates!

No, they dont.

They have slope limits. Lots of bridges to make sure climb/decent doesnt happen. They have curve limits. The crash barriers are much different. They have headlight barriers to minimize glare. They are generally smooth and in very good repair.

If we rank condition of highways from 1 to 10 (10 being the best), the Swiss highways are a 10, German 9. French highways 6. USA, 3. About the same as Italy.

Drive down the highway at 90 and then at 125. The bumps feel MUCH MUCH different at 125mph. Front end lift happens on many cars, etc.

Bren
10-24-2012, 15:16

OMG! They'll all die! The streets will run with blood!:rofl::rofl::faint::upeyes:

Cali-Glock
10-24-2012, 15:18

The difference is Germans know how to drive: for years Germans driving cars which would not pass US crash tests, and driving MUCH faster than we do in the USA, the crash and death rate per mile was (assuredly still is) far lower than ours in America.

DanaT
10-24-2012, 15:20
As many of you who have driven the Autoban will know, the speed limit, is not "unlimited".
Electronic speed signs control for traffic density and weather and road conditions. The autoban popo are very strict to any dangerous or illegal driving habits. Tailgating and passing on the right will certainly get you stopped.
I would be good with higher variable limits in the USA based on conditions but we would have to raise our driving standards.
In terms of west Texas........ it make s perfect sense to me.

There are many sections of Autobahns that have no speed limit. The A7 is a very good one to drive fast on.

mac66
10-24-2012, 15:28
It is not speed that kills, it is the disparity of speed that causes accidents. When everybody is doing one basic speed and someone else is either going too fast or too slow it causes congestion and/or unsafe conditions in closing rates.

I have no problem with 85 MPH, most modern cars are safe at the speed. I do have a problem with idiots not passing on the left, not getting out of the left lane after they pass and constantly speeding up and slowing down. That's what causes problems.

rednoved
10-24-2012, 15:30
I'm glad they finally are bumping it up some.

Bushflyr
10-24-2012, 15:41
People tend to drive whatever speed is safe. When I drove cross country freeway traffic in rural areas was moving at 80-85 mph with a 55mph speed limit. In similar sections with 75-85 mph speed limits traffic was moving at... 80-85. In Montana where there was no speed limit traffic was still moving at 80-85ish.

Speed limits aren't enacted for safety, they are artificially low to attempt to save fuel or provide a revenue stream. Safety is merely the excuse.

frizz
10-24-2012, 15:42
I am by choice , un-plugged and live in a very sheltered with very little population , sort of place !

Honey Boo Boo.....? I really don't know if I should ax but I do claim to be Somewhat fearless so's.......Please to elaborate,
What is Honey Boo Boo..? :dunno: The PUNCH-LINE is slightly
over my head and this may very-well be funny ? Help..!

Honey Boo Boo is a former child beauty pageant contestant who now has her own reality show which exhibits her white trash family's existence in a small Georgia town.

I have read that they have supplemented their diet with roadkill. Honey Boo Boo's favorite dish, however, is 'sketti. Pasta with butter and ketchup. :ack::puking:

You can see her on youtube. You would be well-served to avoid watching this trainwreck. Unless you like ignorant, rotund women who enjoy picking lint from their belly-buttons and letting fly the farts.

The one sister who is not heifer-sized and ugly is 17 and recently crapped out a bastard daughter.

Mama receives child support for all but one of her daughters. One of them has an unknown father. All of the known fathers have criminal records, including one who "had a seat" after trying to hook up with a 13 y/o girl over the Internet. Check that... it was a cop posing as a girl.

frizz
10-24-2012, 15:48
No, they dont.

They have slope limits. Lots of bridges to make sure climb/decent doesnt happen. They have curve limits. The crash barriers are much different. They have headlight barriers to minimize glare. They are generally smooth and in very good repair.

If we rank condition of highways from 1 to 10 (10 being the best), the Swiss highways are a 10, German 9. French highways 6. USA, 3. About the same as Italy.

Drive down the highway at 90 and then at 125. The bumps feel MUCH MUCH different at 125mph. Front end lift happens on many cars, etc.

:upeyes:

Blah blah blah blah.

They still look like US Interstates in the pictures. You have an annoying habit of picking one little thing that you can use to expound on your vast knowledge.

Are you compensating for something? Do you have a short-barreled gun?

DanaT
10-24-2012, 15:55
It is not speed that kills, it is the disparity of speed that causes accidents.

Except that your postulation is proven wrong every day on Autobahns.

Trucks are limited to 80kmh (50mph). You will see fast cars going 140mph past a truck moving 50mph.

I would say most cars (not semi trucks) are between 140kmh and 160kmh. Past 190-200kmh it gets hard to sustain the speed because of traffic. You also need a powerful car to accelerate at 125-130mph.

DanaT
10-24-2012, 15:57
:upeyes:

Blah blah blah blah.

They still look like US Interstates in the pictures. You have an annoying habit of picking one little thing that you can use to expound on your vast knowledge.

Are you compensating for something? Do you have a short-barreled gun?

No, they do not not look like US highways other than the basic commonality of they are asphalt (or cement) and have multiple lanes. Beyond that, they look much different.

Altaris
10-24-2012, 16:03
Except that your postulation is proven wrong every day on Autobahns.

Trucks are limited to 80kmh (50mph). You will see fast cars going 140mph past a truck moving 50mph.

The solution to that is how they handle it over on there. They have laws on where slower traffic goes and what side you can pass on.

Over here you get slow people just hanging out in every lane. If we went to a no speed limit scenario you would need to be good at evasive driving as you would never know where the slow guy would be and what side you need to pass on. It would be much more dangerous, unless we forced people by tickets to stay on their appropriate lanes.

jfost11
10-24-2012, 16:20
The Interstate Highways are a copy of the German Autobahn. Eisenhower saw it and recognized its value for military logistics and commerce. It is named after him, and sometimes you'll see signs mentioning it on entrances.

I have seen pics of German Autobahn which were taken in the 1940s. The roads have two lanes in each direction and a separating median; one of them has an overpass visible. They look exactly like US Interstates!

If we can just require the same abilities that the Germans require, we can jack those speed limits right on up.

I was in Germany for New Year's 2011. It's not just 4 lanes of paved Bonneville Salt Flats like many make it out to be. The speed limit signs there stretch across all of the lanes like our large signs do and occur every couple of miles. There is an electronic black circle above each lane. It can be changed to any number in white for a limit or nothing. What I saw mostly was the a 60 or 80 kph limit on the right lanes, 80-120 kph on the second to left lane, and occasionally there was no limit on the far left lane. However, that only lasted for a few miles when everything was going well. Traffic was fairly heavy every time we were on it so the dream of having a 911 Turbo floored for all it's worth was laughable during daylight hours.

As traffic got heavier, the limits would drop on all the lanes. I saw 40kph a couple of times. Lanes were even closed with a red X on the signs during an accident. Most of the time, it was easier to take the train or the bus. All the houses out in the country are clustered in villages so there is a train station and multiple bus stops at every one.

Here's a little tidbit that will shed light on how serious they are about driving over there. It had been snowing for over a week when we arrived and there was nearly two feet of snowed piled up in places alongside the road. Out of 11 days we spent in the country, it snowed continuously for 8 of them. We went out daily and every car we saw on the road had been completely cleared of snow. We were told that it's illegal to drive without clearing snow off of your car. Only once did we see snow on a car but it was just on the roof and the driver was clearly in a hurry. Every piece of glass and all of the lights were spotless.

jakebrake
10-24-2012, 16:22
A What do the pipes sound like at 100? Woot! Woot!

they sound like a symphony, in my opinion.

at 120, they sound like the thundering hoofbeats of the four horsemen.

Clem Eastwood
10-24-2012, 16:30

its the norm here in TX too. the only difference now is that its legal.

DanaT
10-24-2012, 16:48
As traffic got heavier, the limits would drop on all the lanes. I saw 40kph a couple of times. Lanes were even closed with a red X on the signs during an accident.

This sounds like you are around Frankfurt or the Ruhrgebiet. These are highway basically inside cities. Take the A5 south of Frankfurt. As soon as you are out of the city area, it opens up and you can generally drive 180kmh without too much problem.

Most of the time, it was easier to take the train or the bus. All the houses out in the country are clustered in villages so there is a train station and multiple bus stops at every one.

I would disagree. And a agree.

If I go to Freiburg, I know the train leaves at :52. It takes about 65 minutes to get there and I switch trains once at Basel Bad BF.

I must be back no later than the train that arrives at 22:54. Last train.

The train is good if you are drinking...

jfost11
10-24-2012, 17:31
This sounds like you are around Frankfurt or the Ruhrgebiet. These are highway basically inside cities. Take the A5 south of Frankfurt. As soon as you are out of the city area, it opens up and you can generally drive 180kmh without too much problem.

I would disagree. And a agree.

If I go to Freiburg, I know the train leaves at :52. It takes about 65 minutes to get there and I switch trains once at Basel Bad BF.

I must be back no later than the train that arrives at 22:54. Last train.

The train is good if you are drinking...

We were on the A5 between Frankfurt and Giessen. My wife's family lives in Saasen. I should have clarified. It's always easier to drive yet, there were five of us visiting and we always went out with the family in groups of 9-15 of us. You know how small the average car is there. The bus was easier to get all of us from place to place. They rented a large van to pick us up and take us to the airport.

shotgunred
10-24-2012, 18:22
Oh please. I made a road trip to Colorado from Oregon a few months back, and drove 80-100 the entire time. No slow, inept, or fearful drivers were harmed in the making of that journey.

An interesting, but not so surprising side note: I saw more professional ticket-writers in Oregon, than in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado combined. There and back.

Had you made it all the way up to Washington you would have seen more here than than Oregon.

DanaT
10-24-2012, 18:24
We were on the A5 between Frankfurt and Giessen.

Around FRA has the most speed limits of anywhere in Germany. Once you get out of that area, speeds are higher and traffic faster.

It's always easier to drive yet, there were five of us visiting and we always went out with the family in groups of 9-15 of us. You know how small the average car is there. The bus was easier to get all of us from place to place. They rented a large van to pick us up and take us to the airport.

Yes, 9-15 people the train is easier.

I use the train a lot but also drive a lot. It depends.

As an example, to go into Basel with the train. 11 minutes. Car....40 minutes...and then parking.

shotgunred
10-24-2012, 18:28
Around here there are tons of troopers in the desert nailing speeders.

Clutch Cargo
10-24-2012, 19:50
I've riden Interstate 10 outside El Paso many times. With an 80 mph speed limit, one can make good time.

skeeter1959
10-24-2012, 19:59
Go fast or stay home.

dino1
10-24-2012, 21:23
On a road trip with my vfr i was in NM doing about 90 when I got passed by a bmw, then I got passed by a girl in a maxima. Fell in behind them and did 105 to 110 for several min. I lived

DanaT
10-24-2012, 21:49
then I got passed by a girl in a maxima.

Shoulda turned in your man card right then...

HollowHead
10-24-2012, 21:54
Shoulda turned in your man card right then...

It's not like it was a good ol' boy in an F-250. HH

AK_Stick
10-24-2012, 22:10

Perhaps our Interstates, look like the Germans in the 40's.

Today, they are markedly different.

And unfortunately, alot of people who drive today, would be very, very unhappy if we went to a German/Euro style driving test, and requirements. Because alot of you would lose your license, and have vehicles that were not allowed on the roads.

America, will never have roads like Germany unfortunately. We're not responsible enough, nor are we willing to work hard enough, to have them.

JW1178
10-24-2012, 22:18

Exactly, and the stupid are still plentiful.

TK-421
10-24-2012, 22:50

You need to go to Texas then, their highway intersections are generally three high, and the highest is either five or seven lanes high. :wow:

The speed limit isn't going to be changed to 85 on all highways

Hmm, the way I'd heard it was that they were doing speed limit testing, and that if things went well on the highway they're changing the limit to 85 on, then they were going to change all highway speed limits to 85.

However, that's just what I remember hearing on the news a few months back, and haven't done any research on it. So it's entirely possible I'm mis-remembering or they've changed it since then.

.264 magnum
10-24-2012, 22:59
You need to go to Texas then, their highway intersections are generally three high, and the highest is either five or seven lanes high. :wow:

Hmm, the way I'd heard it was that they were doing speed limit testing, and that if things went well on the highway they're changing the limit to 85 on, then they were going to change all highway speed limits to 85.

However, that's just what I remember hearing on the news a few months back, and haven't done any research on it. So it's entirely possible I'm mis-remembering or they've changed it since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Five_Interchange

I think the "High Five" is the highest.

frizz
10-25-2012, 12:57
No, they do not not look like US highways other than the basic commonality of they are asphalt (or cement) and have multiple lanes. Beyond that, they look much different.

I can go to google, click images, and search for pics of the autobahn. They look the same.

If you want to split hairs, feel free. You do it all the time anyway, so far from it for me to stop you... blah blah...

TK-421
10-25-2012, 13:39
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Five_Interchange

I think the "High Five" is the highest.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the highest one. I remember hearing the highest stack is in Dallas, and I'm pretty sure it was five high. If I heard correctly, the tallest layer is like 100+ feet in the air.

USMC61
10-26-2012, 09:04
It was reported the first night the highway was open there were 4 wrecks. All four were due to vehicles hitting feral hogs.

RCP
10-26-2012, 09:33
Sounds about right. Here on the Dallas North Tollway the speed limit is 70 and if you do it you can pretty much expect to get rear ended.

Hicksville Kid
10-26-2012, 09:45
In 1960 the Kansas Turnpike was 80 or 85, I don't remember which one. As I remember it was a two lane road in each direction. We were in Topeka and went to Wichita IN FOG in the middle of the night. There was no one on the road and we just rocketed along following the dotted line. Every so often we came to a big rig and we just moved left and went by then back to the dotted line.

I would think that TX could get some data from the KS 'experiment'.

fnfalman
10-26-2012, 10:55
they sound like a symphony, in my opinion.

at 120, they sound like the thundering hoofbeats of the four horsemen.

A Harley doing the ton plus?

Next thing you tell me that Santa Claus exists.

fnfalman
10-26-2012, 10:56
On a road trip with my vfr i was in NM doing about 90 when I got passed by a bmw, then I got passed by a girl in a maxima. Fell in behind them and did 105 to 110 for several min. I lived

You were on a Honda V4 and you let a yuppie and a chick pass you?

Are you sure you weren't on a Harley?

DanaT
10-26-2012, 11:05
And unfortunately, alot of people who drive today, would be very, very unhappy if we went to a German/Euro style driving test, and requirements. Because alot of you would lose your license, and have vehicles that were not allowed on the roads.

I would be VERY happy.

Half of the POS cars on the road would be gone...

AK_Stick
10-26-2012, 11:09
I would be VERY happy.

Half of the POS cars on the road would be gone...

Me too, I've taken and passed Germany's drivers test, and driven a good bit on the autobahn.

However, we're far too much of an entitlement society to have our own autobahn.

cyphertext
10-26-2012, 11:10
It was reported the first night the highway was open there were 4 wrecks. All four were due to vehicles hitting feral hogs.

Hogs, deer, and an overturned vehicle. I bet the speed limit doesn't last long...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/On-Texas-130-road-hogs-are-the-feral-kind-3981958.php

DanaT
10-26-2012, 11:22
I can go to google, click images, and search for pics of the autobahn. They look the same.

If you want to split hairs, feel free. You do it all the time anyway, so far from it for me to stop you... blah blah...

And a Ferrari has 4 wheels just like a Kia.

Show me a US interstate that has crash barriers on both sides like this:

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/autobahn1.jpg

Show me a US interstates highways that are in the condition of the picture above on 98% of the distance of the interstate. No cracks. No tar sealeant. No ruts from big rigs.

Show me a US interstate that has crash barriers (on every single mile non-the-less) that are designed to contain high speed crashes like this:

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/autobahn2.jpg

Show me highways in the USA where there is drainage built in.

You are simply wrong, yet ignorant enough not to know it.

Caver 60
10-26-2012, 11:47
Haven't been out west in many decades. But I remember living in eastern Montana in the 60's.

Of course there was almost no traffic in rural areas. Mostly two lane undivided roads. No posted day time speed limits in the rural areas, and that in the days of the old bias tires, drum brakes, and conventional automobile suspensions.

The day time speed limit in that day was 'reasonable and prudent'. That was generally assumed to mean 100 MPH. As long as you had a vehicle that would run safely at those speeds, most cops would leave you alone. Since you could generally see a few miles down the road, many of us would run 110 to 120 routinely and slow down to 90 or 100 when we saw an approaching vehicle.

Lots of guys had Thunderbirds or Vets and would run even faster.

Similar story in Nevada.

nikerret
10-26-2012, 11:56
Want safer roads? Get rid of all the safey "features" in cars. Make people actually drive instead of point and shoot and bumble over things. Seats that vibrate when you're about to hit something? No, look before you drive, dumbass. Cars that parallel park themselves? No, learn to drvie your vehicle or park further away. Get rid of all automatic transmissions and make people drive manual transmission vehicles with clutch pedals. Make people pass in-car driver tests with each DL renewal with a manual transmission car on hills, no rolling back more than six inches. Failure means no DL for a year.

Wake_jumper
10-26-2012, 12:04

Not really an accurate comparison because:

1. Every German car has to pass a rigorous TUV automobile safety inspection every other year.
2. The Autobahn was designed for high speeds and is immaculately maintained. It is hard to find even a rough spot on the autobahn.
3. The U.S. fails on both points.

I say that 85MPH is too fast for most cars, drivers and highways in the U.S.