Okay, who still eats Ramen? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Okay, who still eats Ramen?

LSUAdman
10-24-2012, 09:28
Come on, admit it. You guys know you still love Ramen Noodles.

I just had a nice bowl - boiled the noodles, strained, stirred in roasted garlic, the powder, some sesame seeds and six ginger-sesame shrimp I grilled up. YUM!

Who else still eats Ramen and how do you cook it?

Drain You
10-24-2012, 09:30
Nay. After having a spell of relying on them and having nasty water I can't even smell them without gagging. The skinnier noodles in a cup though I can sometimes managed.

The fancy noodle bowl meals are good too if you pick the right ones.

Carrys
10-24-2012, 09:30
Had about all I could stand when in the military.

I guess I could try some again in 'bout 50 years or so.:wavey:

ray9898
10-24-2012, 09:31
Yeah...still a great snack for me. I take them camping a good bit also.

raven11
10-24-2012, 09:40
I eat the Korean and Thai ramen, I can't stand cup noodle

series1811
10-24-2012, 09:41
I do, I do. I always have a couple of packs in my pantry. :supergrin:

USMCsilver
10-24-2012, 09:43
I'm doing low sodium and basically no carbs.

I have not had a single noodle in 61 days; the sodium content in those things is disturbing.

So...count me out.

BTW -- if you don't know, you can drop in a raw egg while cooking and it'll add some protein to that garbage. Use 1/2 the seaoning packet, and it's not really that bad for you.

Hamilton Burger
10-24-2012, 09:52
Once in a great while.

I do my ramen in a skillet, with about a half-inch of water, just enough to soften the noodle. Then add meat & veggies to taste. If we have steak, I will grill an extra one just to slice up for beef ramen sometime in the following days. Throw in a spritz of ketchup & hot sauce for a hot & sour soup flavor.

When I put chicken or turkey in my chicken ramen I add a big dash of curry.

rybs
10-24-2012, 09:56
Yeah, just toss in an extra bullioun cube for an extra tasty meal/snack.

rednoved
10-24-2012, 09:57
I do. Most times I just use a little of the seasoning and drain almost all of the water. Sometimes I add shrimp or chicken and make a lemon butter sauce.

itstime
10-24-2012, 10:00
I do. Actually just purchased a big load. Quick and easy. Nothing wrong with them.

LSUAdman
10-24-2012, 10:05
Had about all I could stand when in the military.

I guess I could try some again in 'bout 50 years or so.:wavey:

They served ramen in the military? I didnt know that.

Pick up a pack and give it a try next time your wife is out. The secret is to not follow the instructions.

Boil with or without seasoning, then add as much healthy stuff to counteract the nasty. I throw in some beef, chicken or shrimp; or I'll do like Hamilton and cook/fry it in a skillet.

It'll never be a healthy fish, but good for a quick food when you are too tired for anything else.

LSUAdman
10-24-2012, 10:08
I'm doing low sodium and basically no carbs.

I have not had a single noodle in 61 days; the sodium content in those things is disturbing.

So...count me out.

BTW -- if you don't know, you can drop in a raw egg while cooking and it'll add some protein to that garbage. Use 1/2 the seaoning packet, and it's not really that bad for you.

Sterling, your diet depresses me. Good on you for keeping up with it, but I'm half Italian so I need my noodles. Had pasta three times this week, ramen for lunch and going to cook some tortellini tonight.

But you are 100% correct - I never use the whole pack, maybe half at best. I then add some sort of protein and maybe some veggies. The way I look at it, it's not a meal so much as a complement to something else.

We keep at least one pallet worth in the pantry. It keeps for ever, and was great during the last Hurricane that hit.

USMCsilver
10-24-2012, 10:18
Sterling, your diet depresses me. Good on you for keeping up with it, but I'm half Italian so I need my noodles...

LOL, sorry, and thanks.

Rule number one with the diet -- there are no excuses. :supergrin:

61 days, 24 lbs.

Sorry, but back on topic:

I used to add celery or baby spnich leaves to it to spruce it up a bit, too. I'd tried meat a few times, but seemed like a waste of good meat; that's why I always just dropped in an egg. Makes it like a poor man's egg drop soup. :embarassed:

Chesafreak
10-24-2012, 10:21
After living on ramen two weeks once, I will never eat them again while I have a choice.

Adjuster
10-24-2012, 10:29
With a little cayenne pepper.

/

Bilbo Bagins
10-24-2012, 10:31
Sterling, your diet depresses me. Good on you for keeping up with it, but I'm half Italian so I need my noodles. Had pasta three times this week, ramen for lunch and going to cook some tortellini tonight.

But you are 100% correct - I never use the whole pack, maybe half at best. I then add some sort of protein and maybe some veggies. The way I look at it, it's not a meal so much as a complement to something else.

We keep at least one pallet worth in the pantry. It keeps for ever, and was great during the last Hurricane that hit.

Ramen only keeps a year then the oils in the noodles can go rancid. Most ramen noodles have an expiration date on the package, I would not push it beyond 6 months from that date. If you do, when you open an expired pack make sure you smell them first before you eat them.

airmotive
10-24-2012, 11:25
Ummmm....dried lard with a touch of starch, with a heaping packet of artificially flavored salt. Should come with a warning label rivaling a pack of unfiltered Marlboros.

Love 'em.

In college, we'd crush the noodles before opening one end of the package, then dump in the flavor pouch, shake vigorously and eat them dry, like popcorn.

airmotive
10-24-2012, 11:29
Ummmm....dried lard with a touch of starch, with a heaping packet of artificially flavored salt. Should come with a warning label rivaling a pack of unfiltered Marlboros.

Love 'em.

In college, we'd crush the noodles before opening one end of the package, then dump in the flavor pouch, shake vigorously and eat them dry, like popcorn.

ilgunguygt
10-24-2012, 11:36
We usually buy the 12 packs of them in the noodle block, not the cup. I know they arent good for you, but when you need cheap food in a hurry, they work. Also, when my back is killing me and i cant cook, my kid can eat them. Bad, I know.

kirgi08
10-24-2012, 11:46
Cases of them.'08. :eat:

DairyFresh
10-24-2012, 11:56
Love some chicken ramen. Beef and Oriental are good too.

gruntmedik
10-24-2012, 11:59
I still do, but not as much as I used to. They don't go well with Weight Watchers. :rofl:

As a Grunt in the USMC, I ALWAYS took Ramen and Tabasco to the field to supplement the MRE's.

Now, when I do have them, I crunch them up in a skillet, just cover with water, and cook until the water is gone. I'll add about 1/2 the seasoning pack, Old Bay, usually some shredded cheese, and some Jalapenos. If I have it, I'll add some crawfish tails or shrimp, and maybe an egg. They're good, but not really good for you.

4 glocks
10-24-2012, 12:13
I do not eat them very often but I keep a couple boxes on hand for emergency food. Walmart sells 24 ct. boxes for $4.37 a box comes out to .18 cents each.
I just hope I do not have to live off of them.

cowboywannabe
10-24-2012, 12:14
im a cop with a family in a small southern town, about all we can afford is ramen.

Bushflyr
10-24-2012, 12:15
Not from a package.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/bushflyr/2012-03-06125122.jpg

Foxterriermom
10-24-2012, 12:17
Haven't eaten them since my former husband was in graduate school back in the 80's. After I found out the ingredients in the flavor pack, I don't think I will ever eat them again.

Steel Head
10-24-2012, 13:08
I eat ramen at least once a week:wavey:
I often mix in some beans n cabbage.

Sgt127
10-24-2012, 13:50
I grew up in Hawaii. Come home from a whole day of playing in the ocean absolutly starving and, a little chilly. In five minutes, you're eating a bowl of hot and filling stuff.

Grew up on it, hasn't killed me yet. Though I eat it ALOT less than I used to....its that "hasn't killed me yet" part that concerns me a little.

Glock&KimberLady
10-24-2012, 13:51
:wavey:

They're easy to swallow and I like the taste. I have superlow blood pressure and heart rate, that sodium don't scare Honey Badger!

I'll drop in a beaten egg as the water is boiling, add chili oil and sesame seeds, sometimes chicken or shrimp if I'm feeling fancy, and always green onions. Loads of green onions.

Nom nom nom. Cheap, tasty, and bad for you. And very easy to make after a very long day of snowboarding.

The Cup O Noodle doesn't taste as good and you can't foof it up as much, but it will do in a pinch.

edporch
10-24-2012, 13:58
Never ever had Ramen noodles or even Cookedmen noodles for that matter. :rofl:

LSUAdman
10-24-2012, 15:49
Never ever had Ramen noodles or even Cookedmen noodles for that matter. :rofl:

I wont lie. I chuckled. :supergrin:

That's all Brother
10-24-2012, 15:50
Haven't eaten them since my former husband was in graduate school back in the 80's. After I found out the ingredients in the flavor pack, I don't think I will ever eat them again.
I do not use the flavor pack. Drain, salt & pepper, and stir in some pimento cheese.

deadmanglocking
10-24-2012, 17:16
A squirt of sriracha chili sauce and two eggs cracked into the water. I don't stir it until its almost done. The eggs set up better that way.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

SevenSixtyTwo
10-24-2012, 17:32
Only when I was near death last year from E-Coli. Now I prefer to boil up some real spaghetti noodles, stir in some fried diced pork chops and mixed veggies, a little butter and olive oil. Salt and pepper... Mmm!

jakebrake
10-24-2012, 17:36
i'm not even sure they're edible.

c01
10-24-2012, 17:37
After a few years of smelling 200+ inmates eating them in living units I cannot stand the smell. Not even a little bit. Before that, sure.

D

Phaze5ive
10-24-2012, 17:47
The only instant noodle worth eating:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bI2ff8HMPUY/TyeEiDBCf9I/AAAAAAAAAQw/-mQVPJgNTNk/s1600/shin_ramyun.jpg