My dog is a poot-butt. HELP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My dog is a poot-butt. HELP!

frizz
10-24-2012, 12:36
As some of you know, I have a Doberman. As ALL of you who are Dobe lovers know, they almost always have ass gas that will make flowers wilt on contact. It is like burning rubber and rotten eggs, which is from the hydrogen sulfide.

Also, it goes in cycles.

Any ideas on what will help? These are the things I have tried:
Gasx

Different brands of food

Probiotic pills (I suspect that the spores are destroyed in the high-acid dog stomach.)

Putting his bowl at neck level so that he doesn't have to bend down

He isn't a gulper, so the tennis ball in the food bowl doesn't apply.
Anyone ever solve this problem? I prefer to let him sleeps in the bed, but sometimes I have to kick him and his mixed "step-sister" out of the bedroom and into the crate in the other room -- sometimes the stench will wake me up.

Dennis in MA
10-24-2012, 12:51
Champagne cork should do the trick.

cgwahl
10-24-2012, 12:57

Probably not a good idea.

Robot Chicken: Pop Rocks and Soda - YouTube

frizz
10-24-2012, 13:14
That will just work until 25-30 poots are backed up, and then they will all come out at once.

Hydrogen sulfide is just as toxic as cyanide, and it kills you the same way.

Adjuster
10-24-2012, 13:19
I would think it has to be a diet issue. Keep trying different food formulas.

/

porschedog
10-24-2012, 13:29
If you love your dogs you'll get used to sleeping in a gas mask

2bgop
10-24-2012, 13:33
It has to be a diet issue. What does your vet say about it?

zodiacbw
10-24-2012, 13:36
Have you tried any food like California Natural or Innova Evo?

dango
10-24-2012, 13:36
I've been a dog owner most of my life. The more I mix PEOPLE
food with minimal dog food the less of any sort of problems the poor dogs had ! Any problems.....!

If this still holds true , I'm not shure cause I'm not shure what I'm eating any-more ! :dunno:

TheExplorer
10-24-2012, 13:43
Have you ever had the dogs anal glands expressed? It's supposed to happen after they go #2, but if not, either your vet or you need to do it. Some dogs are more prone to it than others. I have one who is fine and another that I take to the vet regularly.

NDCent
10-24-2012, 13:57
Maybe he needs a little more garlic in his diet. When my dogs sleep in the bed, they're usually the ones complaining. :dunno:

Magnus2131
10-24-2012, 13:59
Pit bulls are the worst when it comes to gas.

Mark Smeaton
10-24-2012, 14:00
A chicken and rice dry food stopped my Lab from producing WMDs.

frizz
10-24-2012, 14:29
I have thought about getting low-grade chicken or beef and adding anything that would be missing from a natural diet (say, bone meal) and supplementing with vitamins/micro-nutrients, but I have not gone so far as to find a source and price it. I suppose taking a chicken and thoroughly grinding it (bones, feathers, and all) would work, but you'd need a good grinder to make sure none of the bone residue is larger than a speck.

From what I understand, meat with supplements is the best for dogs. (The carrots on dog-food commercials just appeals to people, and it doesn't really do anything for the pups.) I'm not very fond of soy protein because it isn't digested as well, which is why soy-based dogfood tends to make for butt-pooting.

Has anyone ever done something like this? How much more expensive was it? How much more of a pain was it?

Mak Maven
10-24-2012, 15:17
Consider a GRAIN free diet. It took care of our pooches gas.

JLB768
10-24-2012, 15:44
Our Doberman sounds like a tommy gun when she goes up, or down the stairs.

frizz
10-24-2012, 15:49
Consider a GRAIN free diet. It took care of our pooches gas.
Ya. Grain isn't exactly natural for dogs.

cgwahl
10-24-2012, 16:40
Our Doberman sounds like a tommy gun when she goes up, or down the stairs.

Guess that means you don't need to stick a bell on your dogs collar to know where it is.

Kalmah
10-24-2012, 17:00
Another vote for trying a grain free brand. Switching to grain free food significantly decreased my English Bulldog's farting.

What brand of dog food are you feeding him now?

FCastle88
10-24-2012, 18:11
My 2 Dobes can get a bit gassy from time to time, but nowhere near as bad as people are describing in this thread. My older one was pretty bad as a pup, tried a few different foods and eventually it went away. Try a decent quality food with no corn, wheat, or soy. I feed Wellness large breed, used to get Innova large breed until they changed their recipe recently and lowered the meat content. It's pretty pricey at $60 for a 30lb bag, but there are other fairly good brands of natural/holistic dog food for about half that.

Saugus
10-24-2012, 18:39
I have the same problem with my Pit Bull. However, it seems to go in cycles. Good for a couple of months then wow!! With no change in diet what so ever. I've asked my Vet about it and basically she said that's the way it is.

She sleeps with me every night and I've had to re-paint the bedroom three times due to peeling paint. :faint:

frizz
10-24-2012, 19:27
We have settled on this dogfood:

http://www.avodermnatural.com/Dog_Foods/adult_lr.htm

frizz
10-24-2012, 19:28
I have the same problem with my Pit Bull. However, it seems to go in cycles. Good for a couple of months then wow!! With no change in diet what so ever. I've asked my Vet about it and basically she said that's the way it is.

She sleeps with me every night and I've had to re-paint the bedroom three times due to peeling paint. :faint:

I just get a greenish tinge on the paint.

FPS
10-24-2012, 19:35
:rofl:... you should have seen the monkey trying to put the cork back in.

Pinki
10-24-2012, 19:38
I found sticking with the same dog food and the same treats keeps it to a minimum. At this time it is Taste of the Wild, High Prairie formula dog food, and a spoonful of Blue Buffalo lamb dinner each meal.

DairyFresh
10-24-2012, 19:39
Give em some vanilla yogurt after meals, it keeps the right bacteria in their stomachs, and aids digestion.

DaneA
10-24-2012, 19:40
I have thought about getting low-grade chicken or beef and adding anything that would be missing from a natural diet (say, bone meal) and supplementing with vitamins/micro-nutrients, but I have not gone so far as to find a source and price it. I suppose taking a chicken and thoroughly grinding it (bones, feathers, and all) would work, but you'd need a good grinder to make sure none of the bone residue is larger than a speck.

From what I understand, meat with supplements is the best for dogs. (The carrots on dog-food commercials just appeals to people, and it doesn't really do anything for the pups.) I'm not very fond of soy protein because it isn't digested as well, which is why soy-based dogfood tends to make for butt-pooting.

Has anyone ever done something like this? How much more expensive was it? How much more of a pain was it?

My dogs food:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/149841_522014634493923_1541283062_n.jpg

Runs about $60 a month or so depending on what is on sale. I have no gas, no dog smell, very little poop, and poop goes away in days.

Kalmah
10-24-2012, 19:50
We have settled on this dogfood:

http://www.avodermnatural.com/Dog_Foods/adult_lr.htm

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/avoderm-natural-dog-food-dry/

Just remember a slow, gradual transition to the new stuff.

mj9mm
10-24-2012, 20:00
:rofl::rofl:, have you talked to a vet?

keijoy
10-24-2012, 20:21
Ditto on the yogurt, just read that the other night...

GWG19
10-24-2012, 21:14
We feed our two Chow Chows boiled chicken, brown rice and green peas. We give 1 cup of dri food for the crunch to help with teeth cleaning. No stomach problems no gas. They also get a liver flavored vitamin each morning.
Most dog food even the good stuff is terrible for a dog.
Dobermans tend to be high strung so a bland diet should work good for them also as far treats a lot people feed there dogs good and then give crap treats. Beggin strips give our dogs military grade gas. As does cheese.

Note: Chicken bones are real bad for dogs as they splinter and can real havoc in the digestive track. We have found it cost effective to buy bulk chicken breast and boil it up.

Cost is about 70 a month.

herose
10-24-2012, 21:34
put my boxer on a corn free dog food and that solved his stink problem.

Steve in PA
10-24-2012, 22:11
I've owned two Doberman's, and can't remember them being gassy. However, my late German Shepherd was good at SBD (silent but deadly)!

Pierre!
10-25-2012, 00:04
Our Min-Pin used to have issues... Then he had Pancreatitis, and most recently, diabetes.

He gets alot more complex carps and vegies than meat, and the problem has completely gone away.

So has his access to the Kitty Flavored "Almond Roca" that the local feral cat used to leave in the yard...

Have you considered it isn't what you are feeding your pup is the problem... it might be what the dog is eating when YOU aren't Looking!

Brutus, the Min-Pin (see avatar) gets oatmeal 1/3rd to 1/2 cup), some low fat meat, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, or cauliflower... some times with a topping of black, pinto, kidney, or black eyed beans that were heated with garlic...

Brutus lost about 6Lbs with this diet... so it's been pretty good so far.

Good Luck figuring it out! Hope this helped...

Patrick

DaneA
10-25-2012, 08:02
Note: Chicken bones are real bad for dogs as they splinter and can real havoc in the digestive track. We have found it cost effective to buy bulk chicken breast and boil it up.

Cost is about 70 a month.

Cooked bones are bad. Raw bones do not splinter and cause problems. They are a great source of calcium and other nutrients.

Glock30Eric
10-25-2012, 08:39
Guys,

Don't you all realize that grains aren't good for you as well with animals? Give yourself and animal with primal/paleo foods.

I give all my anmials primal/paleo/holistic foods. It is a problem-free and it's a cheap insurance.

ChuteTheMall
10-25-2012, 08:59
Man up and show him who the top dog is.

You need to get on a first name basis with your local Taco Bell folks.

Change your diet, not his.
He should want to run and hide in his cage.

:faint:

Geeorge
10-26-2012, 06:13
Quit feeding them anything but Beeferino,horses like it too:wavey:

eracer
10-26-2012, 06:17
To expand on ChuteTheMall's excellent idea:

Embrace the Dutch Oven Olympics. Don't let a canine defeat you. You need a rigorous training program that includes a diet of the "Four B's" (Boiled eggs, Broccoli, Baked beans, and Beer.)

Also, a mylar Space Blanket will help trap the odiferousness needed to force the dog to tap out and leave the warm environs of your comfortable bed.

Your opponent has a genetic head start on you. Get to work, OP. Win at all cost.

RDW
10-26-2012, 14:32
ahhhhh! "Dobie Gas."

DairyFresh
10-26-2012, 22:33
Fat dog - YouTube