Build complete, have not fired, what else... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Build complete, have not fired, what else...

JerryVO
10-24-2012, 13:46
So I have finally completed my first AR build (and my first AR - Pics to come soon) and I think I am ready to shoot it but I am a little nervous that I missed something and it is going to blow up in my hands. Unfortunately I am not in an area where I can just go out into my back yard and shoot so my first shot will be at the range. Here is what I have done to safety / function test so far:

Safety on, pulled trigger - nothing happens
Safety off, pulled trigger - hammer releases
Pulled trigger and kept depressed, moved hammer back down - hammer locks into place
Loaded 2 snap caps, chambered round - ejection port opens
Manually pull charging handle - first snap cap ejects, second round chambers
Magazine locks in place and releases properly
Charging handle safety works properly

Is there anything that I missed or anything else I can do before I go out and shoot it?

Gunnut 45/454
10-24-2012, 13:50
Nope if you followed all the build procedures. Now go shoot it!:supergrin:

TucsonGlocker
10-24-2012, 14:10
So I have finally completed my first AR build (and my first AR - Pics to come soon) and I think I am ready to shoot it but I am a little nervous that I missed something and it is going to blow up in my hands. Unfortunately I am not in an area where I can just go out into my back yard and shoot so my first shot will be at the range. Here is what I have done to safety / function test so far:

Safety on, pulled trigger - nothing happens
Safety off, pulled trigger - hammer releases
Pulled trigger and kept depressed, moved hammer back down - hammer locks into place
Loaded 2 snap caps, chambered round - ejection port opens
Manually pull charging handle - first snap cap ejects, second round chambers
Magazine locks in place and releases properly
Charging handle safety works properly

Is there anything that I missed or anything else I can do before I go out and shoot it?

Send it to my FFL with 1000 rounds and I'll be happy to test it out for you (if it works, be aware that you may not get it back) :whistling:

In all seriousness,
Gunnut 45/454
Nope if you followed all the build procedures. Now go shoot it!

^What he said :wavey:

Cole125
10-24-2012, 14:15
A ar is not going to blow up in your hands, unless maybe you forgot to put a barrel nut on or something like that.

Don't worry, go shoot it. As long as the trigger is installed right, castle nut is tight, you should be good to go.

Made in Austria
10-24-2012, 15:22
Did you check the headspace too? It should be checked with proper go/no go gauges or bring it to an AR armorer to check the headspace if you assembled the upper.

G23Adam
10-24-2012, 15:32
Did you check the headspace too? It should be checked with proper go/no go gauges or bring it to an AR armorer to check the headspace if you assembled the upper.

The headspace is set by the barrel extension which is welded on the barrel and set by the barrel manufacturer. A headspace check in an AR is more to see if the barrel is worn out or not.

Made in Austria
10-24-2012, 15:44
Yes, but what if something is out of spec? I thought every properly assembled AR15 and other types get headspaced before firing the first time.

rednoved
10-24-2012, 15:45
Should have posted pics.

faawrenchbndr
10-24-2012, 15:50

Earplugs & safety glasses

G23Adam
10-24-2012, 15:54
Yes, but what if something is out of spec? I thought every properly assembled AR15 and other types get headspaced before firing the first time.

The manufacturer of the barrel sets the headspace for a milspec bolt.

There is no way to change the headspacing on an AR other than bolt swapping or reaming the chamber, and if you need to ream the chamber, the barrel was made wrong.

faawrenchbndr
10-24-2012, 16:38
The manufacturer of the barrel sets the headspace for a milspec bolt.

There is no way to change the headspacing on an AR other than bolt swapping or reaming the chamber, and if you need to ream the chamber, the barrel was made wrong.

Yep,........:thumbsup:

TNGlockman
10-24-2012, 17:44
I just built my first AR lower too recently and it worked perfectly. I'm sure yours will too.

Have fun!