26 Gen4 - Slide Not Locking Back Reliably [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 26 Gen4 - Slide Not Locking Back Reliably

xcaliburelite
10-24-2012, 14:53
I purchased a Gen4 26 about 6 months ago. When I got the pistol, I installed an extended slide stop lever. I noticed about every other magazine, the pistol wouldnt lock back after the last round. The more I shot it, it stopped locking back at all after the last round. I tried different 26 mags, 19 mags, and 17 mags, all Glock OEM. I also run WWB FMJ, some UMC FMJ, and some +P+ duty ammo that my Dad has without any change.

My dad was the armorer at his agency before he retired, and has a lot of extra parts. I swapped the extended release lever for another one, with the same results. After trying 3 new extended release levers with no improvement, I installed a factory slide stop lever. The pistol now seems to reliably lock back. I run a couple of full magazines through it, and a couple with just one or two rounds in them.

Has anyone else run into this problem with any of their pistols? I want to use the extended slide stop lever, but I also want the slide to lock back on an empty mag as it should. Ive read that there is a newer RSA for the 26, but mine has no numbers on it. Any thoughts?

soggy_spinout
10-24-2012, 15:22
Sure your thumb wasn't inadvertently touching the extended slide lock? One of the biggest issues I have when I switch over to my HKs and SIGs is exactly that. When I intentionally fly my thumb way out into space and then shoot...guess what...the slide locks back, no problem.

xcaliburelite
10-24-2012, 15:28
Yes, Im sure. It didnt lock back with my Dad firing it either, and hes a really good shooter/firearms instructor. Thanks for the quick reply. Any other ideas?

atyszka
10-24-2012, 15:40
I have this exact same issue on all my Glocks that have an extended slide lock, and sometimes even the non-extended. Many others do as well, do a search and you'll see a consistent theme. It's very common when using a proper, competition grip on a Glock, holding it high on the frame with thumbs up.

Put an empty mag in, pull the slide all the way back. Does the slide lock pop up and hold the slide open? If it does it works as intended and you're likely doing the same as many of us - your thumb is contacting the slide release just enough to hold it down, doesn't take much, only a fraction of a second.

I hold my guns very high on the frame, and have this same issue with my HK 2000.

Bruce M
10-24-2012, 16:06
If it is not the grip, it is possible that the extended slide releases were used or an off brand?

xcaliburelite
10-24-2012, 17:32
I was careful to not contact the lever during shooting, but it could have been happening. I shoot my 19 and my dads 17 well using the same grip with no issue and they also have the extended slide lever. My 26 would lock back as designed if I cycle the slide by hand. Just not when actually firing.

Also the parts were new. All were glockmeister sources parts.

BamaTrooper
10-24-2012, 17:54
Do all the mags have the same follower? Are you sure the slide stop lever is for the correct gun? Is the spring in correctly?

xcaliburelite
10-24-2012, 18:06
Same followers and the install is correct. Since people think it's my grip/hand placement, I'm going to try modifying my methods. That's the simplest thing go do, and the cheapest!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bentbiker
10-24-2012, 18:19
Check your private messages.

xcaliburelite
10-25-2012, 05:06
Check your private messages.

I did, thanks for the help!

fastbolt
10-25-2012, 09:58
If the "problem" goes away when you shoot the Glock left-handed ... but exists when you shoot it right-handed ... it's probably your thumb occasionally contacting the extended slide stop lever.

FWIW, one of the other instructor/armorers had his brand new Gen4 G17 do the same thing after he'd installed an aftermarket extended slide stop lever. He owns/shoots other Glocks, too. Didn't matter which hand he used, the slide failed to lock back on an empty mag more often than not.

I recommended he reinstall the stock lever assembly and simply run the gun.

Once he removed the extended lever assembly and reinstalled the stock lever assembly, the problem (whatever was involved) was resolved.