Why isn't butt plug OEM standard? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't butt plug OEM standard?

FiremanBob
10-24-2012, 14:59
Just installed one in my Gen 4 G26. It makes the frame look right, whereas that gaping hole behind the mag looks all wrong. It's like buying a BMW with a hole where the grille should be.

Why doesn't Glock install the butt plug as a standard feature?

faawrenchbndr
10-24-2012, 15:23
Apparently Gaston does not like it when a plug is stuck in his butt.

Bruce M
10-24-2012, 15:23
Rumor has it that they left that area open to give you a spot to grap onto a magazine if it should not want to drop out and to allow water to drain if necessary.

INEEDMILK
10-24-2012, 15:24
Just installed one in my Gen 4 G26. It makes the frame look right, whereas that gaping hole behind the mag looks all wrong. It's like buying a BMW with a hole where the grille should be.

the small hole back there is for a lanyard.

if you put a grip plug in, the hole is covered and the lanyard option is removed.

Bruce M
10-24-2012, 15:24
:rofl::rofl:

SJ 40
10-24-2012, 15:50
Because a Glock really doesn't need one to function. SJ 40

dkf
10-24-2012, 15:53
Never really thought any of my Glocks needed one. If you look up into the grip you can see a hole that goes to the slide, lets crap and water fall out I guess.

21GlockStreet
10-24-2012, 15:54
I heard it was to let the water drain out if dropped in water.

.50 cal
10-24-2012, 17:10
I have heard of cracked frames with plugs being used

dakrat
10-24-2012, 17:44
lanyard hole.

lyodbraun
10-24-2012, 18:01
I heard that if you plug it, it will give ya a more power, cause it causes more pressure to send the round down range faster and harder, and maybe, cause for reason to be called into question in court if ya ever have to use your pluged glock in a self defense case... im not sure I want to put my self at risk with the plug, cause its more deadly with it...

:tongueout::tongueout::rofl::rofl:

bustedknee
10-24-2012, 19:41
Just installed one in my Gen 4 G26. It makes the frame look right, ....

You sir, crack me up. :animlol:

LASTRESORT20
10-24-2012, 19:50

I agree Bob it does make it "look" better...`butt` some of the answers given above are correct....I do have one for the G19 though...

michael_b
10-24-2012, 19:53
I thought the gap was there from the metal mild used to form the blackstrap.

Anyway, I much prefer my Glocks butt plugged. Just looks nicer.

-On mobile

GRIMLET
10-24-2012, 20:50
Gaston needs to become more tolerant. All of my Glock butts are plugged, wife's too. Errrr Glocks that is.

HEXE9
10-24-2012, 20:57

I've seen it first hand.

Happened to one of my shooting buds GEN2 G17's while running drills with Winchester RA9TA.

Glock replaced the frame and told him the frame cracked because the plug didn't allow the frame to flex as designed.

marv
10-24-2012, 21:09

N.I.H. Not Invented Here.

fuzzy03cls
10-25-2012, 07:30
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab352/fuzzytheman/FS/not_this_gain.jpg

MarkCO
10-25-2012, 07:44

I've seen a few with the Seattle slug, usually due to overtightening of the screw, but never with a plastic plug.

BADOS
10-25-2012, 08:04
The Glock is sea water resistant. The hole is to let dirt and water exit from the weapon.

TTex
10-25-2012, 11:14
It costs money to produce.
Besides, parts left off dont break, cost anything, weigh anything, or cause any warranty concerns.

DPris
10-25-2012, 11:26
If you look at the grip, you can easily see the front & rear are configured to provide easy access to the magazine base to pull out a mag.
Remember, the originals were not designed to be drop free & weren't. They had to be pulled out.
The configuration allows plenty of thumb at the back for a good grasp on the bottom of the magazine.

Glock is also not concerned about debris getting in, the company says that opening allows water & debris to get OUT.

Has nothing to do with costs or NIH, it was just part of the design & manufacturing process.
They see no need for a plug.
Denis

cowboy1964
10-25-2012, 12:26
Same reason I never put steel rods in my Glocks. Totally unnecessary and even counterproductive.

mo.glocker
10-25-2012, 13:54
The Glock is sea water resistant. The hole is to let dirt and water exit from the weapon.
REALLY?go throw your glock in the sea and open it up the next day.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BigAlE
10-25-2012, 16:13
Glocks remind me of honda civics: reliable,common, not very expensive and you always see them riced out with garbage accessories that make them look uglier and don't add any real value or performance.

cciman
10-25-2012, 18:38
All a matter of viewpoint.

To me putting a plug on, is like putting a deck spoiler on a BMW.

Totally nonfunctional, for cosmetics only.

APERS
10-25-2012, 19:11
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab352/fuzzytheman/FS/not_this_gain.jpg
...lol..

SCmasterblaster
10-25-2012, 19:13

hahahahahahahaha! :rofl:

Paul53
10-25-2012, 20:55
I heard that if you plug it, it will give ya a more power, cause it causes more pressure to send the round down range faster and harder, and maybe, cause for reason to be called into question in court if ya ever have to use your pluged glock in a self defense case... im not sure I want to put my self at risk with the plug, cause its more deadly with it...

:tongueout::tongueout::rofl::rofl:

I'm mulling over in my mind how that line of questioning would go. Anyway I do it, it leads to the effects of the planet Uranus!

Gperfection
10-25-2012, 23:34
Don't plug your butt. Butt if you do, there are over the counter medications available for it.

MonsterB
10-25-2012, 23:41
I dont care if it looks "better" or not, I dont want a plug in my butt. Much more comfortable without, thank you.

countrygun
10-25-2012, 23:50
If mine works fine without it I don't see a compelling reason to stick anything in it. Not that there is anything wrong with it, and I am not judgemental, but as was pointed out there may be complications from such a practice that might pose a danger. If your gun works fine don't go sticking things where they don't belong.

glockenturm
10-26-2012, 01:23
lanyard hole.

My G21SF doesn't have one.......

LL6
10-26-2012, 03:58
Stopping in just because of the thread title. :supergrin:

JonInWA
10-26-2012, 08:26
The only reason or situation that I'd feel the necessity to use a plug in any of my Glocks would be if there was high-velocity dust or sand likely to be present. I do have one on hand for that possibility, but it remains un-installed.

Best, Jon

AustinTx
10-26-2012, 11:10
Rumor has it that they left that area open to give you a spot to grap onto a magazine if it should not want to drop out and to allow water to drain if necessary.

NOT a rumor. It allows access, to grab the mag at the front and back, if needed to get it out of the gun. The lanyard hole is also blocked, as someone mentioned.

I mark all my Glock mags with an identification number, which I can see through the rear cutout.

NDCent
10-26-2012, 11:39
I don't like to discuss my butt hole, or it's plugged/nonplugged condition, in public. :eyebrow:

budmanz4u
10-26-2012, 17:55
Glock designed it like that to allow water to drain! I put one on my 19 til i took the armorers course! I'll give you mine!

MarkCO
10-26-2012, 18:15
It does help with speed reload in competition and that is about it. Since the VAST majority of Glocks are not used in competion, probably not worth the 30 cents to put them in OEM.

grapony
10-26-2012, 19:00
That's the kaboom channel, you know the one where the pressure goes when the Glock kb's. lol

kirgi08
10-26-2012, 19:28
Shoulder stock.'08.

.50 cal
10-26-2012, 21:37
Chin stock

Brian Lee
10-26-2012, 21:41
I heard it was to let the water drain out if dropped in water.

I think it's really because Glock would have had to spend several thousand bucks having an injection mold built, and then pay at least 50 cents each to have the plugs molded in a plastic injection machine.

A butt plug can just as easily be molded with holes in it for a lanyard and water drainage. But when looking at their guns, (disassembled) and seeing the normally inconsistent shrinkage their QC department IMPROPERLY tolerates in their plastic frames (which causes the internal parts to never fit right in that particular frame) I think I see too much evidence that Glock is a cheapskate company that would rather toss quality to the wind if it means they can shave a couple measly pennies off their manufacturing costs.

If I owned Glock Inc, they would all come with an optional plug (with lanyard hole) that the user could install himself, and I'd pass along the cost of it by adding about one puny dollar to the retail price.

.50 cal
10-26-2012, 22:15
If Glocks came from the factory with ass plugs, metal sights, and functional extractors they would cost as much as an HK

Kevin108
10-26-2012, 22:25
I put plugs in my 17 and 26. The 17 grip is tall enough to fit rolled-up cash in it, which I did. No goodies in my 26. I find loading the magazine at speed to go smoother with plugs.

Roger1079
10-27-2012, 08:35
The only mods done to any of my glocks are night sights, - connector, and extended slide stop lever (all functional mods). The Glock design always has and always will be ugly and I see no reason for beauty parts. It's like putting makeup on a pig. I will save those type of parts for my 1911s.

Darkangel1846
10-27-2012, 08:39

the mag hole is a safty feature. Sometimes the round may stick half in and half out of the mag and it will not drop free during your clearing function. The hole is so you can get your thumb in against the back of the mag so you can pull it out easier. Thats why they don't suppily a butt plug.:wavey:

AustinTx
10-28-2012, 17:00
I think it's really because Glock would have had to spend several thousand bucks having an injection mold built, and then pay at least 50 cents each to have the plugs molded in a plastic injection machine.

A butt plug can just as easily be molded with holes in it for a lanyard and water drainage. But when looking at their guns, (disassembled) and seeing the normally inconsistent shrinkage their QC department IMPROPERLY tolerates in their plastic frames (which causes the internal parts to never fit right in that particular frame) I think I see too much evidence that Glock is a cheapskate company that would rather toss quality to the wind if it means they can shave a couple measly pennies off their manufacturing costs.

If I owned Glock Inc, they would all come with an optional plug (with lanyard hole) that the user could install himself, and I'd pass along the cost of it by adding about one puny dollar to the retail price.

I have 8 assorted Glocks and all the frames and parts seem to fit. They all work OK. Which parts don't normally fit properly? In Your Opinion (IYO)

As to cheapskate company, their pistols are quite a bit more affordable than the competition. It's about the only pistol that I'm able to afford, currently. I actually like the Taurus (Beretta) Model 92 type pistols (in 40 S&W), with the safety/de-cocker, on the frame. They're just a bit heavy, for everyday carry.

When Glock gets caught up, on orders, after selling millions of guns, they may redo the open grip.:snoopy:

1wise1
10-28-2012, 23:29
I've got a couple of 26's and neither has a hole for a lanyard. Not that I want one or would use it if I had one.

Brian Lee
10-29-2012, 11:52
I have 8 assorted Glocks and all the frames and parts seem to fit. They all work OK. Which parts don't normally fit properly? In Your Opinion (IYO)

As to cheapskate company, their pistols are quite a bit more affordable than the competition. It's about the only pistol that I'm able to afford, currently. I actually like the Taurus (Beretta) Model 92 type pistols (in 40 S&W), with the safety/de-cocker, on the frame. They're just a bit heavy, for everyday carry.

When Glock gets caught up, on orders, after selling millions of guns, they may redo the open grip.:snoopy:

Trigger bars rubbing on the bottom of the slide so hard that the slide will not move properly - that sort of thing - even though that same trigger bar fits right in other supposedly identical frames. The problem I'm talking about is something that may affect one days production run of frames, but not on the next day when a smarter operator is running the injection press with the injection settings tweeked properly. It doesn't affect all of them by a long shot, but it's inexcusable on even a few and can be eliminated entirely with a properly run QC department.

What I mean by cheapskate company is that this is the sort of thing where consistency of quality could be improved dramatically without raising production costs by one cent. Yet many manufacturers, not just Glock, seem to think they are saving money running their QC like a bunch of monkeys. In my experience good QC is cheaper in the long run than monkey QC is.

I don't mean to imply that only guys who can afford HK's have good guns. Just that most of the badly made stuff in this world could be a lot better without costing ANY more, if the exec in charge would just wake up and realize it. Manufacturers sometimes get so caught up in pinching pennies that they fail to notice when dollars are floating out the door right under their noses. As a consultant to manufacturers, I see this all the time.

DFin
10-29-2012, 13:56

Meeteetse
10-29-2012, 16:18
So we have established that some like the plug and some don't. I do and I need a new one for a new Gen 3 G19. It has been some time since I bought one, so could someone point me in the correct direction and the best company to buy from. I am also looking for some mag base plates. I don't want +1, I just want the finger extension. What do you all like and who do you buy from? Besides sights, the plug and mag bases are the only things I do. This is my 6th Glock and I have never had a problem with any of them.

I don't think I am hijacking this thread since it has wandered into some strange places.

cs133atom
10-29-2012, 16:53
Get caught with one when you are jammed up under fire, high stress in combat and you'll find out why they don't put it there.

Ken_In_Colo
10-30-2012, 09:55
I bought and installed plugs on my 3 Glocks. While attending a Combat Focus Shooting class we performed malfunction clearing exercises. It was more difficult clearing a "Double Feed" or Type 3 malfunction without the plug. I removed the plugs when the class took it's next break.

Anybody wanna buy some plugs cheap?

BigAlE
10-30-2012, 10:10
I bought and installed plugs on my 3 Glocks. While attending a Combat Focus Shooting class we performed malfunction clearing exercises. It was more difficult clearing a "Double Feed" or Type 3 malfunction without the plug. I removed the plugs when the class took it's next break.

Anybody wanna buy some plugs cheap?
If it was more difficult without the plug in there, why did you remove it?

janice6
10-30-2012, 10:19
Why isn't butt plug OEM standard?

God doesn't "swing" that way.

waawaaweenie
10-30-2012, 11:05
http://youtu.be/7upVkCelYoA

7upVkCelYoA

GThirtyTwo
10-30-2012, 13:01
If the Glock came with a butt plug, people would be removing them and posting pictures and how-to's and bragging about it.

vafish
10-30-2012, 15:54

For the same reason you aren't born with a butt plug, because it isn't needed.

Ken_In_Colo
10-31-2012, 01:20
If it was more difficult without the plug in there, why did you remove it?

I mis-spoke...it was much easier clearing the Double Feed WITHOUT the plug. Sorry.

MikeG36
10-31-2012, 01:28
It costs money to produce.
Besides, parts left off dont break, cost anything, weigh anything, or cause any warranty concerns.

^This^ and the original design to grasp stuck non-drop free mags if need be.

wingryder
10-31-2012, 01:44
I keep a spare set of earplugs in my grip hole..

Arc Angel
10-31-2012, 04:44
the small hole back there is for a lanyard. If you put a grip plug in, the hole is covered and the lanyard option is removed.

That's OK! It was just a completely free design afterthought, anyway. A butt plug, on the other hand, would have cost money; and we all know how much Gaston likes to save money! ;)

Come to think of it, I've never seen a Glock with a lanyard attached to it. Sounds kind 'a, 'retro' to me. (I know; I know; all the really cool SWAT dudes do it!) :freak:

AustinTx
10-31-2012, 19:24
The original Glock 17 was made for the Austrian army. Lanyard attachment points were usually required, on military issue pistols. The pistol replaced the saber, for horseback fighting and dropping your pistol, without a lanyard attached was a big problem.

Glocks seeming lack of QC: I think they make so many more guns, than other manufacturers, a "do over" slips out, sometimes. I have bought a new Colt 1911A1 that wouldn't cycle, because the barrel wasn't fitted to the slide properly. It was replaced with a new gun. The proof firing should have found that problem, at the factory.

conpro
10-31-2012, 19:46

I always wondered the same thing. i guess another way for them to make money.

shucknshoot
10-31-2012, 20:30
Gee, my G22 has had it's butt plugged for 12 years with over 10,000 rounds threw it with no issues. Am I just lucky? I don't think so. My butt stays plugged.:tongueout:

Klaatu
04-23-2013, 09:53
Jentra JP1 slug plug installed on G19 gen3. Don't expect to fight under water or in the desert, never expect to use a lanyard, and mag release button has never malfunctioned. Easily removable and does complete the look I must say.
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/Klaatu_photo/P1000540_C1.jpg

Bill Lumberg
04-23-2013, 10:25
Because it doesn't serve a purpose. Just installed one in my Gen 4 G26. It makes the frame look right, whereas that gaping hole behind the mag looks all wrong. It's like buying a BMW with a hole where the grille should be.

Inebriated
04-23-2013, 11:14
Since when does Glock do things that "look good", and hinder reliability?

glockman99
04-23-2013, 11:33
Another reason to have a butt plug in a Glock pistol is so that some idiot won't wonder why his spare magazine won't fit into the little opening at the bottom of the grip...:rofl:...

kirgi08
04-23-2013, 12:43
Since when does Glock do things that "look good", and hinder reliability?

As I understand it,the place the "butt" plug resides was used ta remove non-drop-free mags.I maybe wrong.'08. :dunno:

Inebriated
04-23-2013, 13:13
As I understand it,the place the "butt" plug resides was used ta remove non-drop-free mags.I maybe wrong.'08. :dunno:
Yeah, it's so you can get your thumb in there and rip out the mag. Also, as mentioned here, the plug is known to cause cracks.

Glock is all about function, so why would they bother with the plug? I feel like people are just looking for something to tinker with when they get a plug. Leaver your Glock alone, and go get an old Jeep or something if you want to tinker.

Zeebra724
04-23-2013, 13:34
For the same reason your Glock didn't come with cool, interchangeable, but unnecessary slide cover plates...although I've heard that certain Gen4's are now coming with beavertail grips...

randrew379
04-23-2013, 13:36
This topic should definitely have its own forum.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

DaBurna
04-23-2013, 13:39
All mine are plugged.... Well except for my Gen4 G21.... Pearce doesn't make one yet.:supergrin:

dhoomonyou
04-23-2013, 14:39
Its an answer to an unasked question.

Scrappy
04-23-2013, 17:27
If Glocks came from the factory with ass plugs, metal sights, and functional extractors they would cost as much as an HK

Uhh, S&W M&P come with metal sights, metal guide rods, plug and cost less then Glock.

Scrappy
04-23-2013, 17:32
Ok, so how many put there Glock in water and use a Lanyard? WTF
Why is it every time someone does something with there Glock people have to defend GLOCK?

I use a plug
I use aftermarket metal night sights
I use a metal guide rod
I sand my center trigger safety so it doesn't stick my finger
I use an ext slide release

If you leave your Glock stock, were happy for you. Many of us don't leave it stock!

USMCgs3
04-23-2013, 17:49
Butt plugs are ghey...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

boilergonzo
04-23-2013, 21:07
Mag removal,
Debris removal,
Looks better, makes it better,
Ruins it, makes it worse,
Cracks frames,
Enhances bullet velocity,
safely channels KABOOM's downward preventing burns,
etc.

Nobody has nailed it yet...

Because the butt-plug interferes with the ILS option (internal locking system)!

(okay, okay... that isn't the right answer, but it DOES interfere with their ability to offer locks to places like Maryland, and needed to be offered up!)

ArtificialGrape
04-23-2013, 22:08
Does Glock warn against plugging, or mention that it is needed for allowing debris/water to drain, etc.?

I can see it if a lanyard hole was needed, and before drop free mags it would have served a greater purpose, but does Glock actually warn against plugging it anywhere?

SCSU74
04-24-2013, 10:57
All a matter of viewpoint.

To me putting a plug on, is like putting a deck spoiler on a BMW.

Totally nonfunctional, for cosmetics only.

Weird... Without one **** gets in there, with one it doesn't. Must just be a coincidence.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

257 roberts
04-24-2013, 13:06
I've owned 8- 10 Glocks since the mid 90's,( have a 26,17 and a 30 at present) all get grip plugs and nights sights,never had a problem!!!the 26 gets pocket carried and the grip plug keeps debris out of the frame.

Never Nervous
04-24-2013, 15:07
Glocks remind me of honda civics: reliable,common, not very expensive and you always see them riced out with garbage accessories that make them look uglier and don't add any real value or performance.

We are on one Accord.:rofl:
NN

AustinTx
04-24-2013, 17:29
Weird... Without one **** gets in there, with one it doesn't. Must just be a coincidence.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Not mine, not in 15 years, anyway. Don't it stink?

edit: Where did **** come from? It wasn't there when I wrote this.