balancing a budget aint hard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : balancing a budget aint hard

Diesel McBadass
10-24-2012, 15:09
Found an old graded paper from My 12th grade governement class was tasked to balance the budget and given a spending sheet showing how everything was divided. Multiple groups we all balanced budgets in a 45 minute time. And big chunks of the class were left wing losers.

Now i know thats a completely didfferent thing, but you would think that a current congress with all their resources could manage a budget.

FFR Spyder GT
10-24-2012, 15:34
He'll, I do it, we'll, actually my wife, and so does most stable households.

So, why can't Uncle Sam?

Spyder

MZBKA
10-24-2012, 15:55
Found an old graded paper from My 12th grade governement class was tasked to balance the budget and given a spending sheet showing how everything was divided. Multiple groups we all balanced budgets in a 45 minute time. And big chunks of the class were left wing losers.

Now i know thats a completely didfferent thing, but you would think that a current congress with all their resources could manage a budget.

When were you in 12th grade? If it was during the Clinton years, the economy did it for you.

If it's during Reagan, Bush I, Bush II, or Obama, it's a lot harder.

series1811
10-24-2012, 15:58
When were you in 12th grade? If it was during the Clinton years, the economy did it for you.

A gridlocked government during most of Clinton's term didn't hurt either.

Thomas Jefferson approves of that notion.

Diesel McBadass
10-24-2012, 16:05

2007-2008, i believe this class was second half of school year, so spring 2008, in the gold old days ow dubya before we got the loser in office now

Gunnut 45/454
10-24-2012, 17:17
MZBKA
Well obviously you don't know how to balance a budget then do you! Simple - you don't spend more then you bring in! So when Obamanation wants 3 trillion you say no we only got 2.4 Trillion in revenue. So where do you want to cut your budget to stay 10% below 2.4 trillion? Simple easy solution. POTUS either comes back with cuts or it don't get past. When wars /disasters come up - you find the cuts to fund them or you don't do it! Just like in our budgets when it comes to food /home or cable TV, new car etc. you make the choices that make sense and do with out the extras!:whistling:

Diesel McBadass
10-24-2012, 17:23
cut spending, to the point there is a surplus, and with the surplus, start paying off our debt. Knowing the gov they'd just find more things to spend it on though.

JBnTX
10-24-2012, 17:49
Here's a newsflash for you:

They have NO intention of balancing this country's budget.
That's why we haven't had a budget in 3 years.

Bruce H
10-24-2012, 19:40
He'll, I do it, we'll, actually my wife, and so does most stable households.

So, why can't Uncle Sam?

Spyder

Stable households don't have to be reelected every two, four, or six years.

series1811
10-25-2012, 08:02
cut spending, to the point there is a surplus, and with the surplus, start paying off our debt. Knowing the gov they'd just find more things to spend it on though.

In theory, it is quite easy. Just like at home. But, imagine if every one in your family had to agree on exactly what the cuts would be.

Our problem is getting the collective will of the people directed towards wanting to cut the budget, as necessary, to balance the budget.

I would suggest that the fact that Obama was elected in the first place demostrates that we are a long way from that collective will (and, most Republicans aren't much better, to be honest).

aircarver
10-25-2012, 09:08
The hitch comes when only half the people are contributing, and the other half is demanding their wildest desires be catered to ... because Hey ! They ain't paying for it ! ... :shocked:

Diesel McBadass
10-26-2012, 21:54
fuuny thing is i remember we cut deductions and loopholes, and romney gets flak for this....

also cut the maintenance of nuclear weapons and cut it in ahl (we got enough).

We werent aloud to touch taxes, but if we were id make sure everyone paid something

wjv
10-26-2012, 22:01
Would you balance your budget if you knew you could just print more any time you needed to?

series1811
10-27-2012, 07:52
Would you balance your budget if you knew you could just print more any time you needed to?

Yep. Hence lies the problem.

GAFinch
10-27-2012, 08:09

The economy did it? Republican Congress during most of Clinton's term, Democrat Congress during most of the other terms. Budgets come primarily from Congress. Even during Bush II, the deficit was only $100 billion/year. $100 billion is not hard to cut from the budget.