Quick FFL Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quick FFL Help

DaneA
10-24-2012, 19:11
Could someone that knows the ins and outs of selling a gun help me real quick. I am looking to trade a rifle (ruger 10/22) face to face in my home state to a resident of a neighboring state. Is this a legal transaction or does it need to go through an FFL?
BTW I'm in TN
Thanks.

AngryPanda
10-24-2012, 19:21
All depends on the state

saddlebum
10-24-2012, 20:28
All depends on the state
wrong, it has to go through an ffl in the buyers state:

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State.

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

dac1204
10-24-2012, 20:31
I dont know but I noticed you are in Chattanooga too. I am near Red Bank and Hixson.

Breadman03
10-24-2012, 20:34
wrong, it has to go through an ffl in the buyers state
That is my understanding. I believe ALL interstate transfers must go through FFL. Intrastate (within the same state) transfers are regulated by state laws.

If you didn't know, Gunbroker.com has an FFL locator on their home page on the right side, near the bottom.

DaneA
10-24-2012, 20:38
I dont know but I noticed you are in Chattanooga too. I am near Red Bank and Hixson.

I'm in Hixson.

I decided to wait until the morning and check with my LGS. I thought it had to go through a FFL, but the guy was trying to tell me that was just with handguns.

stolenphot0
10-24-2012, 20:59
I think the neighboring state thing comes to play with long guns when buying from a dealer.