Would a USA made Glock 19 give me a better chance of no BTF? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would a USA made Glock 19 give me a better chance of no BTF?

SoonerDad
10-24-2012, 19:54
Hey y'all...

I'm looking at getting a Glock 19 for my wife, and it looks like my LGS has a couple of USA made Gen 4's for sale...

It'd be super cool to own one of the first USA-made Glocks!

If I go ahead and get a USA-made G19, do I have a better shot at the right extractor/trigger assembly/recoil spring so that we can avoid the BTF fiasco's? I don't know if the USA made Glocks were any different with the 'dipped' versus 'non-dipped' extractors, etc...

Or is there any difference at all between the USA and Austria-made Glocks? Besides the warm patriotic feeling I'd get every time I look at it?

Thanks!

-Eric

cciman
10-24-2012, 20:26
? Btf ?

Grocked
10-24-2012, 20:27
HERE'S WHAT TO EXPECT OF A NEW GLOCK:

Based on the performance of new Gen 3's & Gen 4's, it appears as if Glocks as we knew them no longer exist. Parts once machined have been replaced by cheaper, less reliable, MIM parts. The new look, fit and finish have been compromised by cost cutting. Glock's fanboys will tell you it's shooter error... In a life and death situation a shooter's grip, stance and posture must be perfect for a Glock to function...yeah right.

SoonerDad
10-24-2012, 20:44
? Btf ?

Brass to face... Seems like a recurring theme these days....

glockjeeper
10-24-2012, 21:08
I got a new USA made GEN4 19 this last weekend. Its a blue label. I have 350rds so far through it and not one piece of brass to the face, all nice and neat to my right rear (4 o'clock).

It has the new style ejector and the extractor is non-dipped, and an 0 4 3 recoil spring.

D1N0
10-24-2012, 21:21
There's NO quality differences between US & Austrian made Glocks

et45
10-24-2012, 21:29

If the US Glooks don't throw BTF then there IS a quality difference.

zee90
10-24-2012, 21:37
There are reported USA made Glocks with BTF. Like D1N0 said, there are no major differences.

SoonerDad
10-25-2012, 06:05

Thank you very much. That's what I wanted to know. I feel like I'm 'rolling the dice' with a new G19 right now, which would be fine for me, but I'm very concerned since it's going to be my wife's first concealed carry weapon.

I was hoping by going with Glock I would BUILD her confidence, now I'm concerned she may discouraged if she's getting hot brass casings to her face...

Still struggling...

INEEDMILK
10-25-2012, 13:38
Thank you very much. That's what I wanted to know. I feel like I'm 'rolling the dice' with a new G19 right now, which would be fine for me, but I'm very concerned since it's going to be my wife's first concealed carry weapon.

I was hoping by going with Glock I would BUILD her confidence, now I'm concerned she may discouraged if she's getting hot brass casings to her face...

Still struggling...

With women it's not so much a concern when brass is landing on their face as it is when brass is landing in their shirt.

Trust me, because I know from personal experience, hell hath no fury like a woman with a hot shell casing between her breasts.

JBP55
10-25-2012, 14:04
Dress for the occasion.

G-19
10-25-2012, 15:06
Dang, My Gen4 23 (2011) and my Gen3 27 (2012) must be messed up. I get no BTF at all, who do I call to fix this. I have not had one FTF or FTE, something must be wrong. Now I did replace all the upgraded parts, even though I had no issues with the old parts.

Heck, Mine don't even rust, even though they are carried daily. However, that may be my fault, I actually take care of my guns. I wipe them down at the end of the day with a silicone rag and don't store them day in and day out in a holster. I even have a bad habilt of cleaning them at least once a month, to clean out lint and such and wipe down slide with CLP. This is probably why my Glocks don't rust, despite the new crappy finish Glock is using.

Should I call Glock? Maybe I can get a new gun out of these problems. Glock should be ashamed to put out such guns.

All kidding a side, buy a Glock with confidence. The stories on line are greatly exaggerated. Sure some have had issues, but I really feel these were small in number. It is funny to me how Glock gets bashed because of a few issues, that they fixed. Yet, Ruger has had how many recalls in the past few years? How about S&W? Go to the SIG forum and read about the issues they seem to be having. Are these companies getting the thrashing that Glock gets? NO. Any company can have issues.

Bren
10-25-2012, 15:23
A different model would give you a better chance. I believe the 19 has the stiffest recoil spring to ammo power ratio of all, which is the root of the BTF issue (2 corners of the "slide reciprocation problem" triangle).

Rustin
10-25-2012, 15:26

Still struggling...

Whether the BTF problem is real or shooter error, why still consider it if your going to be apprehensive about your decision? There is a plethora of great striker fired, lightweight, capacious 9mms out there that are just as good if not better than the glock series.

People seem to usually pick the Glock pistol without considering the vast array of similar options. It's a great pistol, but like any pistol, it's not for everybody...to a greater degree than similar pistols considering many people, even dedicated Glockers, dislike the grip angle.

I'm not saying this is how the op is thinking, but I see it so often and figured I'd ramble on it...

Sveke
10-25-2012, 15:31
I thought the BTF issue was because people used crappy ammo. Really light 115 grain cheap stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bruce M
10-25-2012, 15:33

If the US Glooks don't throw BTF then there IS a quality difference.

There are reported USA made Glocks with BTF. Like D1N0 said, there are no major differences.

Interesting. I have not heard of any issues of US made Glocks and I have heard of very few reports of the US Glocks period, good bad or otherwise. But I admit I do not get out much. This question has come up a couple times here before.

dusty_dragon
10-25-2012, 15:43
sorry for my question, but not coming from the US, but close to were gaston lives, i always thought that "your" glocks were made in smyrna/georgia?

are they only assembled there with all the parts shipped from austria to the US?
so you got austrian glocks assembled in the US?

and now smyrna starts producing there own parts, so you got US made glocks, no longer austrian made?

Bruce M
10-25-2012, 16:02
All of my Glocks are made in Austria. They are marked as having been made in Austria and then Glock, Inc, Smyrna, GA below that. When I went to armores school a couple years ago they said all gthe Glocks being made in the Us were being exported to places that could not have exports from Austria. Glocks made in the US hre in the US is a relatively recent event.

t4terrific
10-25-2012, 16:04

Still struggling...

Buy and older Gen 3, replace the recoil spring, and buy new mags.

I have a Gen 4 Glock 19. It is working well now, but I wouldn't buy another. Not for a couple years.

dusty_dragon
10-25-2012, 16:05
@Bruce M:
i see, thanks

all my glocks read only "made in austria" and that's it (of course also serial number, birthdate code etc.)

t4terrific
10-25-2012, 16:06
I thought the BTF issue was because people used crappy ammo. Really light 115 grain cheap stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The problem is that crappy ammo works in most other quality firearms. That means it's a crappy pistol.

brickboy240
10-25-2012, 16:13
My new Gen 3 G19 did not START giving me BTF until about round 800 or so. Before then...it too ran perfect.

I'd seek out an older Gen 2 G19 or look at a PPQ.

The M&P 9 full size is also giving troubles of a different sort.

In the end...there is no perfect striker fired 9mm.

I would NOT buy another newly made 9mm Glock though.

-brickboy240

plouffedaddy
10-25-2012, 16:14
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1039_zpsd16a0f5f.jpg

My US G27 has been perfect FWIW.

NCHeel
10-25-2012, 18:28
The majority of Glocks sold are running flawlessly. I have bought 4 Gen4 9mm's in the last year (G26, G17 and 2 G19's) all run fine after 1000's of rounds. If everyone with a non-problematic gun came on here and posted you would never find a BTF thread. Problem is people like to turn to the internet to complain. I have been looking for a "bad" Gen4 I can see in person and have finally found one. The guy is getting stovepipes and BTF's with his G17 but it is a second hand pistol that needs all the updates as it is an early model.

D1N0
10-25-2012, 18:33
The majority of Glocks sold are running flawlessly. I have bought 4 Gen4 9mm's in the last year (G26, G17 and 2 G19's) all run fine after 1000's of rounds. If everyone with a non-problematic gun came on here and posted you would never find a BTF thread. Problem is people like to turn to the internet to complain. I have been looking for a "bad" Gen4 I can see in person and have finally found one. The guy is getting stovepipes and BTF's with his G17 but it is a second hand pistol that needs all the updates as it is an early model.

This is exactly right. 99% of Glocks regardless of the Gen should & are running perfectly.

mikieelmo
10-26-2012, 17:04
I have only had problems with btf with a g35 and it was two out of 500 rounds.My g19 has had no issues .

rv4driver
10-27-2012, 16:57
I went the local gunsmith route with my Gen4 17. After reading all the posts by everyone trying this extractor and this ejector, and this recoil spring, and that .40 cal part or whatever, I figured I'd give the local guy a shot. First, he filed the sharp edge off of the ejector. That helped, but not enough. Then, he bent the ejector, that helped a lot more. I'll be shooting it for a while to see if it's "mo betta", or if it needs more.

Having said that, all my other striker fired pistols work fine, and have right out of the box. Presently, my fave is the Walther PPQ.
Flawless, with every ammo, intentional limp-wristing, etc. etc. etc.... Same with the PPS and my gen2 19. So, apparently, it's not really a mystery. Just a lost art at Glock.

dusty_dragon
10-27-2012, 17:04
in which direction did your LGS bend the ejector? more to the outside of the cartrigde rim?

tango44
10-27-2012, 21:54
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1039_zpsd16a0f5f.jpg

My US G27 has been perfect FWIW.

BTW! that is awesome!