mag floor plates! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : mag floor plates!

OhioGlock90
10-24-2012, 20:06
I picked up a couple pierce extensions for my G26 today, figured changing them would be easy enough....... The floor plate is refusing to come out!!! I have depressed the spring, im pushing in on the side and still nothing. I even watched a youtube video on it to see if i was doing something wrong.... Is there something im missing? is there a trick to getting them out the first time? please help

stolenphot0
10-24-2012, 20:13
I have had some new mags that required me to squeeze the sides with channel-locks the first couple times. I've had others that just pop right off.

ejes
10-24-2012, 20:14
Sometimes you have to get pretty forceful. You generally don't have to do it, but on stubborn ones, I put a long, small diameter punch or screwdriver down the hole as far as it will go and leverage it against the side of the mag to push against it. It will come, you just have to be firm and forceful without being rough Push firm, steady and hard; you won't break it. After you do it a time or two, they will get easier.

OhioGlock90
10-24-2012, 20:21
yeah the floor plates have also positioned so i cant push it down. i have to try to find something to push something else... I'll try the channel locks

stolenphot0
10-24-2012, 20:24
channel locks will scuff the plastic.

g29onboard
10-24-2012, 20:30
The easiest and safest way is just to grab a big rubber foot C clamp and place it on the sides of the mag then pop your screwdriver or punch in the hole and pry firmly. Pop!

OhioGlock90
10-24-2012, 20:39
yeah i used a clamp, i also used a rag so no scuff marks

ejes
10-24-2012, 20:42
yeah the floor plates have also positioned so i cant push it down. i have to try to find something to push something else... I'll try the channel locks

They will flip down out of the way. I'm sure you see what I mean now that you have them open. I would discourage using channel locks to squeeze the mag in the future. The metal liner can get bent.

M24C
10-24-2012, 21:22
Removing Glock Magazine Baseplates - YouTube

DannyR
10-25-2012, 03:25
That is a terrible video. Never, ever use a tapered punch on a Glock or Glock magazine, as it may enlarge the holes.

To remove a magazine base:

1. Insert a Glock tool sharply, all the way to the handle, flipping the locking plastic insert over.
2. Using the tool for leverage, pull forward about 1/2in while squeezing the top of the tube.
3. remove the tool, cover the base with your weak hand while sliding the base forward and off.

Takes less than 3 seconds.

R2D2
10-25-2012, 05:22
I find this little tool a great help. I fit on the mag, push down the botton in the base plate then sqeeze the tool and it pops right off. If I have a lot of them to clean, then I use the Gtul in a vise to hold the mags, no scuffing

http://mygtul.com/

xrmattaz
10-25-2012, 06:23
That is a terrible video. Never, ever use a tapered punch on a Glock or Glock magazine, as it may enlarge the holes.

1. Insert a Glock tool sharply, all the way to the handle, flipping the locking plastic insert over.
2. Using the tool for leverage, pull forward about 1/2in while squeezing the top of the tube.
3. remove the tool, cover the base with your weak hand while sliding the base forward and off.

This is how I've done it for 20 years, as well. No squeezing, no cursing, no bent mag tubes, just a good bit of leverage with the correct tool.

dhgeyer
10-25-2012, 06:41
I've found that you have to squeeze the sides of the mag in quite a bit to get the tabs to disengage. But, you have to push the locking plastic down first, as it won't move easily with the sides squeezed in that far. I tape wooden shims where the tabs are, and put the whole thing in a vise to squeeze enough. I make the shims just thick enough to disengage the tabs but not so thick as to deform the mag.

I only do this once. After I get the floor plate off the first time, I cut the tabs on the sides of the mag off with an Exacto saw (very fine) and a very sharp woodworking chisel. There is no real need for them. The stud on the locking plate holds the floorplate on just fine, just like every other brand of pistol.

xrmattaz
10-25-2012, 07:59

This is how you do it properly.

robhic
10-25-2012, 08:48
I find this little tool a great help. I fit on the mag, push down the botton in the base plate then sqeeze the tool and it pops right off. If I have a lot of them to clean, then I use the Gtul in a vise to hold the mags, no scuffing

Another vote for the GTUL. Works easily and you get a brush to clean those babies out after you (easily) get the mags apart.

PVolk
10-25-2012, 09:12
I always cut mine off. Provided that I never intend to reinstall the OE base, which I never have done. It takes about 15 seconds to cut one off and it's done without pinching and/or scuffing anything.

EDIT: That GTUL tool looks pretty handy though!

SFla27
10-25-2012, 09:24

^^^ This, this, this, this and this! ^^^

I used to have considerable difficulty removing the base plates off the magazines. Even when using the Glock tool as recommended. It seemed the plastic plate between the spring and base plate didn't move into the proper location, combined with my inability to adequately-press down on the sides of the tube.

The GTUL takes all guesswork out of the equation. All of it. Makes it so much easier, it's well worth the price of the tool.

1. Slip on the GTUL onto the magazine.
2. Using the Glock tool / punch, press down (all the way, as normally recommended) on the plastic insert.
3. Press the GTUL sides inwards (not much force is required)
4. While pressing the GTUL together, pull the Glock tool / punch back (while inserted) to move the base plate forward and off the magazine tabs.
5. DONE!! Easy peasy.

Two thumbs up.

ron59
10-25-2012, 13:07

This is true. ** IF ** it is not a brand new magazine.

I have fairly strong hands, and was not able to do 90% of my brand new ones using this procedure. The GTUL "squeezer" (the orange thing that comes in the kit) allows supplying more pressure to the sides of the mag.

Once the plate is off the first time, yes, it is much easier thereafter.

So, Danny.... not being a jerk but making it sound like "it's so easy" is a bit of a disservice to newbies or those who've never done it before. It makes them feel like they're not capable in some way. Heck, I was a Harley Mechanic for 4 years and have quite a bit of experience with manhandling things, and still struggled with baseplates the first time out the gate.

Heck.... Detail stripping a receiver THE FIRST TIME is not easy. The pins can be very hard to push through. I have had to lean considerable body weight with all 4 of my guns the first time I did that job. And I support the gun across a roll of duct tape with the pin-hole being in the middle of that.

Next time around, pins are much easier to remove.

OP... can't over stress how much easier the GTUL is to assist you in the job.

Glock 1
10-25-2012, 13:21

Yep, this is how I do it too.

Glock 1
10-25-2012, 13:23
This is true. ** IF ** it is not a brand new magazine.

I sell Glock 26 & 27 packages on GunBroker and I upgrade all my mags with these (3 mags each). I have changed out more than a hundred brand new mags. If done correctly. It's just a flick of the tool and its off. You don't even have to squeeze the sides of the mags.

mo.glocker
10-25-2012, 13:46
^^^ This, this, this, this and this! ^^^

I used to have considerable difficulty removing the base plates off the magazines. Even when using the Glock tool as recommended. It seemed the plastic plate between the spring and base plate didn't move into the proper location, combined with my inability to adequately-press down on the sides of the tube.

The GTUL takes all guesswork out of the equation. All of it. Makes it so much easier, it's well worth the price of the tool.

1. Slip on the GTUL onto the magazine.
2. Using the Glock tool / punch, press down (all the way, as normally recommended) on the plastic insert.
3. Press the GTUL sides inwards (not much force is required)
4. While pressing the GTUL together, pull the Glock tool / punch back (while inserted) to move the base plate forward and off the magazine tabs.
5. DONE!! Easy peasy.

Two thumbs up.
this is the correct way,best 40.00 ive spent.

sciolist
10-25-2012, 13:53
They can be very tough the first time - even the second time. The GTUL is OK, but main thing is to get clamping pressure on the tabs, so you don't have to do that and move the baseplate at the same time. I use a small shop clamp.

I keep a 3/32" nail set in my bag to push the baseplates on the hard ones. It's way more robust that the Glock tool, and much less likely to deform the hole. You can really reef on it without harming the mag.

And +1 to pushing the plastic insert up and completely out of the way first, per Danny above. The idea is to get all interference surfaces out of the way, so you can focus on applying pressure to slide the baseplate off.

When you have one that's really bad, it helps to cycle the baseplate on and off the mag tube a few times before putting it all back together.

M24C
10-25-2012, 17:39
Glock floorplate removal Glock magazine disassembly - YouTube

I guess this is the politically correct using the Glock tool instead of a punch. ;)

ravenkeeper98
10-25-2012, 17:45

I don't break mine down often, but the Gtul is well worth it. I'm glad I bought it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

jnc54
10-25-2012, 17:53
I purchased a gen 4 26 yesterday and also got the Pearce ext 39. I just pushed the glock tool in all the way to the handle and pried forward and pressed in on the sides of the mag at the same time and it popped off.

DirtyDan
10-25-2012, 18:50
Mine we're a bear to get off the first time.
I followed what the instruction manual said, but they were not coming off and I felt like something was going to break if I used anymore force. So, I called Glock Inc. and they recommended pushing the insert locking pin in with the Glock tool, squeeze the base of the mag above of the baseplate and press the corner of the baseplate against a table to get it started.Once I got it started, it came real easy .

10-25-2012, 19:47
I have strong hands and have popped open many a mag, but....

...snap a floor plate in half and bend the spring inside the mag with your glock tool just once :steamed: and i promise you you'll be ordering a GTUL....

.38 super
10-25-2012, 20:50
Somebody gave me one of these:

https://www.mygtul.com/products.php?c=89&p=645
https://www.mygtul.com/image.php?image=upload/45_files/cart/images/521.jpg

I did use it couple times, but generally I use the Glock tool without this gimmick.
Anyway, this thing will do it for someone with lots of mags, someone that will like to clean them often...Thay also have a combo pack with "special" brush... :supergrin: