Dress Out Gear(Helmets) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dress Out Gear(Helmets)

copenhagen2001
10-24-2012, 21:31
For all you that have to dress out in Riot Gear;
What type of Helmets are you guys wearing.
Our Dept is updating all our S.R.T Gear.
This is a Detention Center setting, I would rather not use a kevlar helmet, way too hot. I know there are other options.
As for the rest of the gear, I think there going with Galls on alot of it. Our old stuff is way out dated. Thanks for your input.

Hack
10-24-2012, 21:59
Kevlar helmet; external vest; bring our own kevlar gloves; bring our own boots, with safety toes; provided uniforms for uniformity are usually blue BDU types, mask and baton; and other toys.

lawman800
10-24-2012, 22:21
We have the Kevlar PASGT with riot shield... heavy as crap, but I like the ballistic protection.

Morris
10-25-2012, 10:55
If ballistic prevention isn't a concern, skateboard helmets are the best for weight, comfort, air flow, etc.

Like this:

http://www.tactics.com/protec/protective-skate-gear

lawman800
10-25-2012, 12:04
If ballistic prevention isn't a concern, skateboard helmets are the best for weight, comfort, air flow, etc.

Like this:

http://www.tactics.com/protec/protective-skate-gear

I got one of those little Delta style helmets out of Blackhawk Down, but it's definitely not regulation.

Patchman
10-25-2012, 17:16
Our riot helmets are DOT approved. Because they're primarily used for when riding scooters/MCs, and does second duty during riots.

lawman800
10-25-2012, 18:43
Our riot helmets are DOT approved. Because they're primarily used for when riding scooters/MCs, and does second duty during riots.

These things?

http://www.ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/NYPD.jpg

Patchman
10-25-2012, 19:05
Yes, those things. Except it would have a plastic face plate. (I always wear a pair of safety glasses behind it). If they're good enough for DOT crash dummies, they're good enough for us.

copenhagen2001
10-25-2012, 23:54
Theyve tasked one our guys with putting together a list of all new gear, Helmets, Vests, Arm, Shin, Knee, Elbow Guards. What type of Vests are Molle acceptable???There talking about a Vest we can put our duty belt on with, I hate entering cells with my duty belt now. We will be carring this gear with us in a duffel bag on to the floors with us, they'll sit in the control room untill needed.
Like I said its a Detention Center setting. They staged a Hostage / Stabbing of an Inmate / Inmate hanging(Code Orange)threw 3 differant problems at us at once.
Man were we weak!!!Comms were a big concern, as well as Equipment.
Any help from you Guys is Appreciated!!!

TKM
10-26-2012, 00:50
Damn, sounds like you are going to need a studio apartment just for your war bags. Do you have enough room in the control room for everybody to gear up at once?

copenhagen2001
10-26-2012, 20:34
Damn, sounds like you are going to need a studio apartment just for your war bags. Do you have enough room in the control room for everybody to gear up at once?

S.R.T is spread through out the building, our team has 7, not to include the Cpl, or the Sgt. Each man carries his bag to there assigned floors.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

Hack
10-26-2012, 21:50
S.R.T is spread through out the building, our team has 7, not to include the Cpl, or the Sgt. Each man carries his bag to there assigned floors.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

Only thing we carry as to bags are personal bags, with all kinds of hoagie bait for some of us used to the old days of having a little excitement and having to take control of the institution areas in spots, or do a little clean up work.

Everything else is stored in key places until needed, with most of that being away from the secure areas of the institution that are occupied by inmates.

Now, as for what goes in with us, nothing that is classified as a weapon. That doesn't mean you are prohibited from improvising in an emergency. I always have kevlar lined gloves, for example. I always have a big heavy flash light handy. But, the most important thing I have is my mind, and experiential knowledge.

The mind and experiential knowledge will win every time, regardless of the toys you have at hand.

copenhagen2001
10-26-2012, 22:21
Only thing we carry as to bags are personal bags, with all kinds of hoagie bait for some of us used to the old days of having a little excitement and having to take control of the institution areas in spots, or do a little clean up work.

Everything else is stored in key places until needed, with most of that being away from the secure areas of the institution that are occupied by inmates.

Now, as for what goes in with us, nothing that is classified as a weapon. That doesn't mean you are prohibited from improvising in an emergency. I always have kevlar lined gloves, for example. I always have a big heavy flash light handy. But, the most important thing I have is my mind, and experiential knowledge.

The mind and experiential knowledge will win every time, regardless of the toys you have at hand.

Your right, the way you talk to inmates is your best weapon. Dress out gear would be bagged, carried with you, left in the control rooms. Control rooms are secured areas on the floors, that open cell, sally port, recreation doors. At no time would my gear be accessible to Inmates.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

CJStudent
10-27-2012, 09:10
When I was on the riot squad with the state, we used these helmets:

http://www.galls.com/cgi/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=TE256

They're cheaper, but they work just fine for the situation you're talking about. I've lost track of how many cell entries/extractions I've done in them, and they worked great, as long as you wore it correctly and remembered to strap the chinstrap tight.

I disagree with the skateboard helmet idea; I want something with a face shield for a riot type situation.

nursetim
10-27-2012, 11:28
Why not use full face DOT helmets? With throat protectors?

CJStudent
10-27-2012, 13:52

Hard to use with gas masks.

lawman800
10-27-2012, 18:32

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1087/1334384428_21744a9844.jpg

nursetim
10-27-2012, 19:30
Isn't that a klan patch on his shoulder?

lawman800
10-27-2012, 19:37
Isn't that a klan patch on his shoulder?

Yeah, KKK goes uber tactical...:crying:

No, it's the Umbrella Corporation's private army, from Resident Evil.:cool:

nursetim
10-27-2012, 20:54
Gotcha, thanks.

bccop
10-28-2012, 21:02
Our helmets look like motorcycle helmets. The have leather neck protectors, flip up visors, and built in speakers with a cord that can be connected to our portable radios. There are rumours we are going to a new helmet in the near future.

Our basic uniform is BDUs with duty belt and baseball cap.

Our riot uniform involves a set of protection that provides additional protection to our arms, shoulders, and legs under a set of nomex coveralls. The stick fighters don't wear firearms at this point. We work in squads of eight and have two tactical support members who work with us (they carry sidearms, 40 mm launchers, C-8 patrol carbines).

Here's a photo taken during our last annual training during the Molotov portion. It cold and it rained a fair bit. This part warmed me up just a bit and it's a shame it was over so quick.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x210/bccop/DSC_0036.jpg