Is running plates lawful? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is running plates lawful?

glockbanger
10-24-2012, 23:36
Is the information obtained by running plates "always" considered public information? What information is typically displayed? Since everyone must drive and be subject to possibly having their plates ran, it seems that it could be considered an invasion of one's privacy. Have there been cases where it has been ruled this way?

A few other questions of mine:

1)How difficult is it to put a "flag" on your plate so that it cannot be ran by civilians? Is there a fee?

2)Is there anything that you can legally put over your plate to protect it from being scanned by plate readers? Or simply to obscure it from view?

3)For a civilian running a plate.. how much are fees and do you contact the DMV or county clerks? How lengthy are the forms and what reasons do you typically need to run a plate?

wprebeck
10-24-2012, 23:59
You might try asking in Coptalk....where people who actually do this stuff for a living hang out.

My answers -

To the best of my knowledge, civilians can't access that info in Kentucky (my state).

Obscuring your license plate is illegal here.

See my first.

JBnTX
10-25-2012, 00:13
How would a civilian run a license plate?

holesinpaper
10-25-2012, 00:54
You might try asking in Coptalk....where people who actually do this stuff for a living hang out.

My answers -

To the best of my knowledge, civilians can't access that info in Kentucky (my state).

Obscuring your license plate is illegal here.

See my first.

An attorney can. A licensed private investigator can too. Of course both are required to have a qualifying reason to do so... just like LEO (http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/august_2001/cops_tap_database_to_harass_intimidate.htm).

TBO
10-25-2012, 01:05
An attorney can. A licensed private investigator can too. Of course both are required to have a qualifying reason to do so... just like LEO (http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/august_2001/cops_tap_database_to_harass_intimidate.htm).http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/sad_know_that_feel_hug.jpg

wprebeck
10-25-2012, 01:05
An attorney can. A licensed private investigator can too. Of course both are required to have a qualifying reason to do so... just like LEO (http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/august_2001/cops_tap_database_to_harass_intimidate.htm).

Well then, why does my sister call me to check a tag? She's a lawyer.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, KYOPS access is limited to LE. And, as long as I'm checking a tag for official business, I can run whatever I want, whenever I want. If its for personal, then I'm in trouble. And yes, randomly running tags on the MDT whilst driving down the street is legal.

Bren
10-25-2012, 05:38
Well then, why does my sister call me to check a tag? She's a lawyer.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, KYOPS access is limited to LE. And, as long as I'm checking a tag for official business, I can run whatever I want, whenever I want. If its for personal, then I'm in trouble. And yes, randomly running tags on the MDT whilst driving down the street is legal.

In fact, we have equipment in some agencies to do it automatically as the car drives by parked cars.

Smoker
10-25-2012, 06:08
A little paranoid???

PawDog
10-25-2012, 07:23
A paid subscription to PublicData.com will give you the ability to "run" plates for many states, but not all.

Chuck TX
10-25-2012, 08:14
How many warrants do you have?:rofl:

Bren
10-25-2012, 09:01
A paid subscription to PublicData.com will give you the ability to "run" plates for many states, but not all.

If I was willing to pay extra, or had the law student version of Westlaw, I could run just about anything. I don't recall plates, specifically, but using very famous celebrities as examples in class we could could look up all of the property they own, businesses they are involved with, cars they own, VIN numbers, home addresses, credit reports, and all personal ID information. It took seconds.

PawDog
10-25-2012, 10:55
If I was willing to pay extra, or had the law student version of Westlaw, I could run just about anything. I don't recall plates, specifically, but using very famous celebrities as examples in class we could could look up all of the property they own, businesses they are involved with, cars they own, VIN numbers, home addresses, credit reports, and all personal ID information. It took seconds.

I have accounts with both Public Data and LexisNexis, and access to varied government databases, and most folks would be shocked about how much information can be obtained with just a few key strokes.

nursetim
10-25-2012, 11:33
I found public data, but lexisnexis shows law books and the like.

Bren
10-25-2012, 11:43
I found public data, but lexisnexis shows law books and the like.

I haven't used lexis much, but I'm pretty sure that, like Westlaw, it have databases that give access to nearly any public record. That means:
credit reports (LOTS of information)
court records
newspapers and magazines
deeds, mortgages, chattel mortgages (i.e., car loans), liens, etc.
state business records (incorporation, annual reports, various disclosures)
political donations

Think about all the info you give when you fill out the paperwork for those various things.

then again, you can get all of that either online or in person, it just takes longer. A while back some people here were concerned about a fired former employee having their home addresses - to show how little it mattered I was able to look up their home addresses, names of family members, political contributions, tax records, etc. on the internet in a few minutes and even look at pictures of their houses.

fespo276
10-25-2012, 12:09
Many, many courts have held that police may run license plate checks with no individualized suspicion. There is no 4th Amendment reasonable expectation of privacy in a publicly displayed, state owned, license plate.

10-25-2012, 13:00
Start an LLC. Title, register and insure the vehicle through it. The business name shows up and nothing else.

glockeglock
10-25-2012, 13:12
In Washington, a public records request and a small fee gets anyone at all the registered owner's name and address, the legal owner's name and address, the VIN, the last date and cost of title transfer. You can request the entire WA vehicle ownership history and get the names and addresses of everyone who has ever owned the car while titled in Washington. Be nice to everyone.

holesinpaper
10-25-2012, 14:12
Timely:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/nyregion/gilberto-valle-accused-in-plot-to-kidnap-women-and-cook-them.html?_r=0
New York police officer was arrested this week... six-year veteran of the New York Police Department... was “discussing plans to kidnap, rape, torture, kill, cook and eat body parts of a number of women,”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223138/New-York-City-police-officer-busted-failed-plot-kidnap-women-cook-eat-them.html
Gilbert Valle 'created list of up to 100 victims with a picture of each'... He 'used law enforcement databases to carry out surveillance on them'

Where there is a database, there IS abuse of said database by those with access.

holesinpaper
10-25-2012, 14:13
In Washington, a public records request and a small fee gets anyone at all the registered owner's name and address, the legal owner's name and address, the VIN, the last date and cost of title transfer

Well, except for the special protected class of alleged victims of domestic violence.

State allows and helps pay for a scheme that allows them to register vehicles and get drivers licenses using non-physical addresses.

boomhower
10-25-2012, 14:17
And yes, randomly running tags on the MDT whilst driving down the street is legal.

Maybe in your state but its fine in mine. Courts here ruled the plate is displayed in public so there is no expectation of privacy.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ICARRY2
10-25-2012, 17:29
Tagged

smokin762
10-25-2012, 17:36
In fact, we have equipment in some agencies to do it automatically as the car drives by parked cars.

Every City, Township and Village around me has a least one car equipped with an Electronic Licenses Plate Reader mounted on the back of the car.

I wonder how often they ever get a hit on a stolen car or fictitious plates. :dunno: