Homeless Man Saves Police Officer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Man Saves Police Officer

ronduke
10-25-2012, 03:57
A Dallas Police officer is recovering from serious injuries, after he was attacked by a man suspected of being on a drug-induced rampage. The injuries may have been more serious, perhaps even life- threatening, had a homeless man not stepped in to stop the attack.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/10/23/exclusive-homeless-man-saves-police-officer-from-attack/

merlynusn
10-25-2012, 04:10
Good on him. Thankfully he was there to help the officer.

ETA: Who are those other two people in uniform who did nothing? Security guards?

Bren
10-25-2012, 05:20
The headline kind of blew that out of proportion.

scottydl
10-25-2012, 07:22

I agree, but kudos to the bystander. There are so many idiots out there now that would just stand and watch like it's a TV show.

Mattz
10-25-2012, 08:34

How so? Looks like you had an officer that was solo retreating and the bystander came up from behind and placed the suspect on the ground.

Kudo's to the bystander... that's damn awesome... and just goes to show that you should always treat people with respect, regardless of their situation, because that person may be the one pulling your ass out of the fire one day.

Bren
10-25-2012, 08:58
How so? Looks like you had an officer that was solo retreating and the bystander came up from behind and placed the suspect on the ground.

The officer had help on the way and was not actually under attack or unable to handle the situation. A lot of people would have locked up the bystander for butting in where he didn't belong. He basically initiated force where the officer was keeping the guy contained and waiting for more people. That's not the way I would have handled it, but I sent a lot more people to the hospital than is acceptable these days.

Like you, the bystander didn't have the training or experience to understand the situation.

Mattz
10-25-2012, 09:03
The officer had help on the way and was not actually under attack or unable to handle the situation. A lot of people would have locked up the bystander for butting in where he didn't belong. He basically initiated force where the officer was keeping the guy contained and waiting for more people. That's not the way I would have handled it, but I sent a lot more people to the hospital than is acceptable these days.

Like you, the bystander didn't have the training or experience to understand the situation.

Like me? Oh... guess almost 5 years experience as a police officer doesn't qualify... my bad...

It doesn't sound like the officer was keeping the person contained. The video said the officer had used his baton and it was ineffective, hence the PCP, and it appeared the officer was retreating as the suspect was actively engaging. If you'd lock someone up in that situation then you'd be the same reason people question assisting the police when they're getting their ass kicked for fear of getting in trouble or being held liable.

GWSHARK
10-25-2012, 12:36
Mattz please excuse Bren. He has a tendency to step on his own wick. :cool:

Bren
10-25-2012, 13:11
Like me? Oh... guess almost 5 years experience as a police officer doesn't qualify... my bad...

That really isn't much and yes, I have more.

As for the officer - he may have wanted help, but you couldn't see it from the video. Once he got into the opening, he appeared to be in a position to lead the guy around as long as necessary.

GD2J
10-25-2012, 13:28

Uh, oh, break out the rulers; the ****-measuring contest is underway...

janice6
10-25-2012, 13:35
Helping a cop is great. No matter who or where it comes from, it's the right thing to do.

Mattz
10-25-2012, 14:20

As for the officer - he may have wanted help, but you couldn't see it from the video. Once he got into the opening, he appeared to be in a position to lead the guy around as long as necessary.

You have your opinion, I'll have mine. If the first thought that comes to your head after someone helps you with a person who had the potential to put you on your back in a scrap is to ARREST them then I'll remember to stay out of Kentucky.

scottydl
10-25-2012, 17:29
Helping a cop is great. No matter who or where it comes from, it's the right thing to do.

Absolutely. I certainly wouldn't turn down help (from a citizen or ANYONE) if a guy is physically attacking me. That would be fairly crazy to then arrest the person that stepped in to help me. :dunno:

x_out86
10-25-2012, 19:19
I'm not going to get involved in the :duel: going on here, but....

Glad to see that the guy stepped up and helped out the officer when he could use it. Another reminder that there are people out there with some common sense and redeeming qualities. Hope the city and PD step up and recognize the guy for doing the right thing.

Mattz
10-25-2012, 19:22
I'm not going to get involved in the :duel: going on here, but....

Glad to see that the guy stepped up and helped out the officer when he could use it. Another reminder that there are people out there with some common sense and redeeming qualities. Hope the city and PD step up and recognize the guy for doing the right thing.

He was just recognized by the department and presented some type of civilian award.

merlynusn
10-26-2012, 04:29
Obviously if the officer is that injured, I'm sure it looked worse in person than it did on video. Plus, what happened before they came into frame of the video.

Anyone who'd arrest the guy who helped is stupid.

CGMK
10-26-2012, 05:20
Anyone who'd arrest the guy who helped is stupid.

Agreed. I've worked solo in some far and away areas and have always tried to treat customers with respect for this very reason.

Had a buddy of mine get his ass kicked on the side of a county road one night. A guy on felony probation, due to the copper getting beat down, happened across the situation and put the boots to bad guy. You never know

merlynusn
10-27-2012, 07:24
Agreed. I've worked solo in some far and away areas and have always tried to treat customers with respect for this very reason.

Had a buddy of mine get his ass kicked on the side of a county road one night. A guy on felony probation, due to the copper getting beat down, happened across the situation and put the boots to bad guy. You never know

And if something like that happened. You can bet I'll call his probation officer and tell him that his offender came to my aid when I needed it.