Questions about running plates [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about running plates

glockbanger
10-25-2012, 07:21
Is the information obtained by running plates "always" considered public information? What information is typically displayed? Since everyone must drive and be subject to possibly having their plates ran, it seems that it could be considered an invasion of one's privacy. Have there been cases where it has been ruled this way?

A few other questions of mine:

1)How difficult is it to put a "flag" on your plate so that it cannot be ran by civilians? Is there a fee?

2)Is there anything that you can legally put over your plate to protect it from being scanned by plate readers? Or simply to obscure it from view?

3)For a civilian running a plate.. how much are fees and do you contact the DMV or county clerks? How lengthy are the forms and what reasons do you typically need to run a plate?

Sam Spade
10-25-2012, 07:43
Ever since Rebecca Schaeffer got murdered by a stalker, MVD records in all the states with which I'm familiar have not been available to the general public. There may be an exception, but color me skeptical.

No, you can't obscure your license plate.

No, it's not an invasion of your privacy when I run your plate.

ateamer
10-25-2012, 08:16
The plates belong to DMV, at least in CA. On top of that, when you are in a public place, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Because of that, reasonable suspicion is not needed to run a plate. It's a piece of government property, in a public place. Its whole purpose is for identification. However - CA again - registration and DL info is not public record. DMV will not release that info to someone who just walks in and asks for it.

DaBigBR
10-25-2012, 08:50
Is the information obtained by running plates "always" considered public information?

I don't know that I understand the question.

What information is typically displayed?

In my state: registered owner's name, address, DOB, OLN, vehicle color, year, make, model, VIN, title and registration dates, expiration, county, and a variety of other numbers that don't mean anything to me.

Since everyone must drive and be subject to possibly having their plates ran, it seems that it could be considered an invasion of one's privacy. Have there been cases where it has been ruled this way?

Since when "must" everyone drive? "Privacy", at least for search and seizure purposes, only exists in places where society is prepared to recognize a reasonable expectation of privacy. Operating a vehicle subject to vehicle registration laws bearing statutorily required and government issued plates on a highway paid for with public funds and accessible to the public is not a situation that I think we will ever accept as "private", especially as it relates to somebody's ability to read said license plate.

1)How difficult is it to put a "flag" on your plate so that it cannot be ran by civilians? Is there a fee?

Impossible in my state to my knowledge.

2)Is there anything that you can legally put over your plate to protect it from being scanned by plate readers? Or simply to obscure it from view?

My state has a statute that prohibits the plate from being obstructed and specifically mentions any type of cover that alters the appearance of the plate. This statute has been on the books since before people were even dreaming of ALPR.

3)For a civilian running a plate.. how much are fees and do you contact the DMV or county clerks? How lengthy are the forms and what reasons do you typically need to run a plate?

In my state you go through your county sheriff's office or state DPS. I have no idea what the process or the costs are because I can run all the plates I want for free.

Dukeboy01
10-25-2012, 11:59
:popcorn:

Just one bag for now, but I figure this thread has potential.

AKRover
10-25-2012, 12:06
:popcorn:

Just one bag for now, but I figure this thread has potential.

Certainly seems like a topic that could draw out the conspiracy theorists

WarCry
10-25-2012, 12:47
Since everyone must drive and be subject to possibly having their plates ran, it seems that it could be considered an invasion of one's privacy. Have there been cases where it has been ruled this way?

I'm not a cop, but even I know this statement makes no sense. Driving is NOT a right, and it's certainly not anything that the word "must" would be attached to. You OPT to drive, you're agreeing to put your information out there, making it verifiable by authorized persons at any time they want. That's part of the contract you agree to when you pay the money and bolt the tags on the car.

Also, I'm not sure what type of tin-foil folks you've been hanging out or talking to, but I have yet to meet a civilian that has (at least legally) any sort of tag readers, and even if they did, they wouldn't have legal access to pull the information. If they have that access legally, then they are authorized to have it.

Cochese
10-25-2012, 12:52
Is the information obtained by running plates "always" considered public information? What information is typically displayed? Since everyone must drive and be subject to possibly having their plates ran, it seems that it could be considered an invasion of one's privacy. Have there been cases where it has been ruled this way?

A few other questions of mine:

You have no privacy regarding license plates. They are owned by the state and issued by the state and kept in a database maintained by the state for the use of the state and its agents (police) for regulatory and law enforcement purposes.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Mayhem like Me
10-25-2012, 14:05
many states allow mopeds under a certain horespower/speed threashold to be untagged..that may be an option for you to go off the grid..

blueiron
10-25-2012, 14:20
many states allow mopeds under a certain horespower/speed threashold to be untagged..that may be an option for you to go off the grid..

Theodore Kaczynski got it right in this regard. Stay close to the homebuilt cabin and walk elsewhere only when necessary.

blueiron
10-25-2012, 14:23
If you have a legitimate need for plate info access, contact and hire a licensed private investigator.

You cannot do anything else you inquired about.

Morris
10-25-2012, 14:45
Hand me some poppycorn!

blueiron
10-25-2012, 14:46
Hand me some poppycorn!

Poppy seeds will make you fail your random drug test!

Morris
10-25-2012, 14:48
So will the enhanced brownies . . .

blueiron
10-25-2012, 14:49
So will the enhanced brownies . . .

You didn't ask for brownie pie!

merlynusn
10-26-2012, 04:14
Like others have said. The plate is state owned and therefor you have no expectation of privacy. In NC, you can't cover your plate to obscure the view of it.

As far as I know, a civilian can't just walk into DMV and get them to run a tag and give you the information.

steveksux
10-26-2012, 06:01
Theodore Kaczynski got it right in this regard. Stay close to the homebuilt cabin and walk elsewhere only when necessary.
His only mistake was not wearing somebody else's home made pants....

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

scottydl
10-26-2012, 07:50
Is the information obtained by running plates "always" considered public information?

Yes.

What information is typically displayed?

Every state is different, but typically what DaBigBR mentioned above.

Since everyone must drive...

That is not true at all, so no... registration checks are not an invasion of privacy. It's a privilege provided by the government (usually the Secretary of State) in each state.

1)How difficult is it to put a "flag" on your plate so that it cannot be ran by civilians?

Not possible as far as I know, but every state is different.

Likely illegal in all states, but every state is different.

Every state is different, check with yours to find out.

Hope that helps.