Resting heart rate, wife disagrees... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Resting heart rate, wife disagrees...

garyo
10-25-2012, 09:45
My wife says my resting heart rate is too low, mid 50s, I say it is not. I do 30 minutes of cardio early in the morning, six days a week. I have been on this regime for years. I do have hypertension and take meds for it. My hypertension has been controlled for a very long time. I had a stress test about a year ago, and I did not even break a sweat. Doc said my cardiovascular system looks very good. I keep telling my wife I am a well trained athlete, to which she replies with a hearty laugh. I don't get it. I'm 55 btw.

Any thoughts?
garyo

JW1178
10-25-2012, 09:47
Stronger hearts beat slower. Most pro atheletes have a heart rate about 40 beats per minute, but I am no Dr, so ask a Dr.

VELO
10-25-2012, 09:48
Mine is 40. Mid 50s is great!

Why use up beats any faster than you need to?

NCwriter
10-25-2012, 10:06
I didn't say his heart rate was too low; the doctor put him a new medicine and said that if his heart rate dropped below 60 he should let her know. Yes, he does a cardio workout six days a week, and yes, he's in good shape. But the new medicine is dropping his heart rate artificially, so I think he should let the doctor know. He's not going to keel over anytime soon (although maybe I should rethink this--the insurance might come in handy) but I think it's ridiculous for him to just say he has a low heart rate because he works out regularly. So my question is--if the doctor puts you on a new medicine and tells you to monitor your heart rate and let her know if it changes, shouldn't you let her know?

RenoF250
10-25-2012, 10:07
If you are awake and not dizzy it is not too low. If you get light headed when standing up or feel dizzy - too low. That is my simple rule.

RenoF250
10-25-2012, 10:09
I didn't say his heart rate was too low; the doctor put him a new medicine and said that if his heart rate dropped below 60 he should let her know.

Seems pretty simple with this info. Let her know.

brisk21
10-25-2012, 10:10
That is perfectly normal for someone who exercises. Mine was 42bmp when I ran 3 miles a day and didn't drink caffeine. Now I'm hooked on coffee and do more weight training than cardio. It went back up to 60bmp.

VELO
10-25-2012, 10:11
I didn't say his heart rate was too low; the doctor put him a new medicine and said that if his heart rate dropped below 60 he should let her know.

Uh, Gary......you're busted.

And your wife is right; call your doctor.

devildog2067
10-25-2012, 10:12
My wife says my resting heart rate is too low, mid 50s, I say it is not.

And here we see a textbook case of the difference between the truth, and the whole truth.

TheJ
10-25-2012, 10:16
It's most likely a combination of your strong cardio and the BP meds. If you take something like metoprolol tartrate it will lower your heart rate. I would let the doc know but 50s isn't really dangerous.

G36's Rule
10-25-2012, 10:16
Busted by wifey making up stories...

:rofl:

kensb2
10-25-2012, 10:20
Why would you possibly go around stating half-truths when your SO will likely see them, and out you to the group? :dunno:

Besides, if your WIFE said it, then she is right. Regardless of what the Doc said! :tongueout:

nursetim
10-25-2012, 10:29
Lol your wife is on GT and can call you out and we get the whole story. I love it. The wife ALWAYS gives me the rest of the story when I see patients. :thumbsup:
Call your doctor and let her know, definitely. 50 is a good number for Lance Armstrong, brother, 30 min of cardio 6 days a week does not make you Lance Armstrong.
You have a good woman there, she obviously loves you. God bless both of you.

Gallium
10-25-2012, 11:21
Mr and Mrs Garyo,

I wish you both the best of health and a very good (long) time together.

Gary, contact your doc pronto. :)

<< Not a doctor.

nursetim
10-25-2012, 11:56
But he did stay at a holiday inn express at some point. :supergrin:

lwt210
10-25-2012, 12:21
First thing in the morning, my resting pulse is in the high 40s. After some coffee and stirring about, it gets up into the 50s and sometimes 60s.

I also take BP meds on occasion. My doctor took me off of them after a checkup including an EKG where he noticed my pulse was low. He didn't seem concerned in the least about the pulse.

There are days where I feel like I have no energy but other days I feel fine. He said as long as i stay conscious and don't have serious dizzy spells, it's nothing to fret about.

He talked Holter (SP) monitors, pacemakers and other jazz and said that was serious stuff and not an option at this point and time.

Glock&KimberLady
10-25-2012, 13:08
ROFLMAO

****blocked by yer wife.

Gotta watch out for that stuff.

Based on her...additional...information, get back to the doc. If your doc specifically said to get back to her if your rate is below 60, then heed that advice.

Mine is usually in the 50s and I do have orthostatic hypotension...product of low heart rate and low blood pressure. But mine isn't artificially induced by meds. Go to your doctor.

SMOKEin
10-25-2012, 13:12
I'd be curious if her cooking is as bad as he tells us. :)

NCwriter
10-25-2012, 13:27

My fantastic cooking is the only reason his heart rate isn't even lower...panting with breathless anticipation in response to the smells wafting out from the kitchen. :eat:

(It's also the reason he has to do the cardio six times a week.) :workout:

gunslinger3
10-25-2012, 13:28

:rofl:

VA27
10-25-2012, 14:40
I saw the doc today. 120/70, 50bpm. I've clocked as low as 47bpm resting. I used to be a runner (I'm 64 and saving my knees now) so that probably accounts for my low rate. The doc isn't concerned, so neither am I. I'd say your probably good to go...still, if the doc said call, you need to call.

If your mechanic worked on your car and told you to call if a certain thing happened, would you ignore him or call? Make the call, your wife seems a little TOO interested in insurance. You might also call if your oatmeal tastes a little funny three mornings in a row.

racerford
10-25-2012, 15:09
You wife is not telling you your heart rate is too low..... Your DOCTOR is telling you that. She will ask you other questions on hearing this information. As others have said, do you get light headed? What is you blood pressure at those times? How about your O2 rate. If you don't have an oxygen saturation meter get one. They can be had for around $30.

If you heart rate is low and blood pressure is low, it can lead to low O2 saturation rates. If they get low your brain gets starved for oxygen. Not a good thing.

ron59
10-25-2012, 15:11
Did the resting heart rate only RECENTLY start being that low? Because if it's been that way for years, then I side with the husband.

If a few months ago it was 10 beats or more higher... I side with the wife.

Resting heart rate can be lowered, but it's over a LONG period.
Plus, as you get older... resting heart rate tends to be higher, even if you're in the same shape as when you were younger.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 15:13
This is the generic form I take. My heart rate exceeds 115 within two to three days...100mg daily... if I miss my medication. With Metoprolol my heart rate is around mid sixties.

To the OP, your body lets one know if something is wrong. I'd say I wish I were you.....:cool:

It's most likely a combination of your strong cardio and the BP meds. If you take something like metoprolol tartrate it will lower your heart rate. I would let the doc know but 50s isn't really dangerous.

sputnik767
10-25-2012, 16:01
I didn't say his heart rate was too low; the doctor put him a new medicine and said that if his heart rate dropped below 60 he should let her know. Yes, he does a cardio workout six days a week, and yes, he's in good shape. But the new medicine is dropping his heart rate artificially, so I think he should let the doctor know. He's not going to keel over anytime soon (although maybe I should rethink this--the insurance might come in handy) but I think it's ridiculous for him to just say he has a low heart rate because he works out regularly. So my question is--if the doctor puts you on a new medicine and tells you to monitor your heart rate and let her know if it changes, shouldn't you let her know?

What's the new med, what's his typical BP, and does he take the med regularly as prescribed? And on how many occasions did you guys notice the reduction in HR? I am assuming it's a beta-blocker, and if so, it is supposed to reduce his heart rate. The issue may be that the dosage is too high, or that he is taking other meds that may be synergistic in reducing HR (although I doubt it).

Happypuppy
10-25-2012, 16:04
Don't worry about it. I suspect you are taking alpha and beta blockers and both slow the heart rate and increase stroke volume. However with exercise you can most likely not meet your target heart rate. Breathing through just your mouth in that case is a good indicator of sufficient work.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

sputnik767
10-25-2012, 16:20
Don't worry about it. I suspect you are taking alpha and beta blockers and both slow the heart rate and increase stroke volume. However with exercise you can most likely not meet your target heart rate. Breathing through just your mouth in that case is a good indicator of sufficient work.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Alpha blockers do not slow your heart rate. They act on your blood vessels to dilate them. In fact you may see an increase in HR initially as your blood pressure drops and your heart tries to maintain it. However both do increase stroke volume.

Paul53
10-25-2012, 20:19
I applaud your devotion to the cardio workout.

Without knowing your full history and all the meds you take, the only safe call is to follow the instructions of the person that does have the full picture, your doctor. If he says call if your rate is below 60, follow his/her instructions.

The best the rest of us can do is just a well intentioned guess.

Believe me the doc would rather be playing golf or chasing his/her nurse around the office, but if he thinks you should interrupt HIS cardio workout for a pulse <60, it's important! You've got nothing to lose by calling, a lot to lose by not calling. Why go to a doctor if you're not going to follow their instructions?

Paul, RN

"Never read medical books. You might die of a misprint" Mark Twain.

RenoF250
10-25-2012, 20:51
Hopefully his wife does not find out about that mistress he has been talking about, then both of their heart rates will go up.

Ferdinandd
10-25-2012, 21:05
I've had some serious medical problems this year, three surgeries, lots of meds, etc... When it came to managing my BP, I started getting light headed when I'd stand, was low on energy throughout the day, and resting pulse was 45-48. That was too low for me apparently. Now I'm down to 1/2 of the smallest dose of bisoprolol and hope to get off of that eventually. BP is good now, but exercise induced heart rate increase is still not adequate.

I ran in a 5k race this afternoon and felt lousy. However, I did come in third.

sappy13
10-25-2012, 21:07
as long as its not a sudden decrease i think you are good. Iv had a resting heartbeat in the low 50s for years. I attribute it to lots of running.

LoadToadBoss
10-26-2012, 06:20
My resting heart rate and my age are the same--53.

tadbart
10-26-2012, 21:24
so you're feeling NO SYMPTOMS of low blood pressure or heart rate, no dizziness or fatigue, no near fainting spells?

call the doc, jump through the hoops, let her know about it, but certainly don't worry about it.

a HR of 50 (with a reason, which you have in the frequent exercise and the meds), is nothing to worry about.

by the way, how's your girlfriend and new baby?

jpa
10-27-2012, 11:52
So have you called the doc yet? Next time don't give half the story when the wife is also on GT to call you out. ;)

Seems pretty simple to me...doc says call if....conditions=true....call made. Sorry, the programmer in me is coming out. :)

RWBlue
10-27-2012, 16:52
Dude, it looks like your wife is here. I suggest you follow what she says.

If you believe you are correct, make a bet for something you want.

Paul53
10-27-2012, 17:41
So you shop for answers on GT. Nobody here knows your history and medications like your doctor does, but because some people here will tell you what you want to hear, you'll ignore your doctors instructions?

Can I be named on your life insurance policy?:faint:

NCwriter
10-27-2012, 21:15
So you shop for answers on GT. Nobody here knows your history and medications like your doctor does, but because some people here will tell you what you want to hear, you'll ignore your doctors instructions?

Can I be named on your life insurance policy?:faint:

:agree:

Paul53
10-28-2012, 16:39
Called the doc yet? They have someone on call on weekends, so no excuses.

If I have to come down there and make you do it you'll be sorry, plus I'm telling mom!

Silent_Runner
10-28-2012, 16:48
Yes you should.

OMEGA5
10-28-2012, 17:24
My wife says my resting heart rate is too low, mid 50s, I say it is not. I do 30 minutes of cardio early in the morning, six days a week. I have been on this regime for years. I do have hypertension and take meds for it. My hypertension has been controlled for a very long time. I had a stress test about a year ago, and I did not even break a sweat. Doc said my cardiovascular system looks very good. I keep telling my wife I am a well trained athlete, to which she replies with a hearty laugh. I don't get it. I'm 55 btw.

Any thoughts?
garyo

My resting HR is 52 +/- a couple. Last year when I
was having my Gallbladder removed, the Anesthesiologist
was about to call it off. My HR laying on the gurney prior
to pre-op meds was 48. She thought something was
wrong. I told her to call my GP and he's assure her that
that was not abnormal for me. Having been an avid
bike rider, runner and weight lifter for 48 years, I have
an enlarged heart, but the chambers are enlarged also
making it a normal heart, just bigger and more efficient.
If you need surgery, you may need to verify your HR
also.
Dano

nursetim
10-28-2012, 17:47
My resting HR is 52 +/- a couple. Last year when I
was having my Gallbladder removed, the Anesthesiologist
was about to call it off. My HR laying on the gurney prior
to pre-op meds was 48. She thought something was
wrong. I told her to call my GP and he's assure her that
that was not abnormal for me. Having been an avid
bike rider, runner and weight lifter for 48 years, I have
an enlarged heart, but the chambers are enlarged also
making it a normal heart, just bigger and more efficient.
If you need surgery, you may need to verify your HR
also.
Dano

You do more than 30 minutes of cardio though, right? How long has Garyo been doing cardio? Not as long or as much I suspect. Just saying.

wrenrj1
10-28-2012, 18:11
Just start to flop over due to your low heart rate and see what your wife does, then jump up all the sudden. I is halloween by the way. Sounds like you are totally healthy. Trust your Doc. unless you feel otherwise.

garyo
10-28-2012, 18:40
WOW! I sure did not mean to air my dirty laundry (er resting heart rate) on a public forum. I have been doing a good cardio for a very long time. Nothing sudden has changed other than an increase in one of my meds, which I did change back. My resting is back up to the high 50s and I am fine with that. I never did have any symptoms of low BP or HR. Will let the Doc know this week.

Thanks all

P.S. The girlfriend and baby are fine.

NCwriter
10-28-2012, 20:23
Just start to flop over due to your low heart rate and see what your wife does, then jump up all the sudden. I is halloween by the way. Sounds like you are totally healthy. Trust your Doc. unless you feel otherwise.

He did that once a couple of years ago and I rushed over and kicked him to see if he really was dead. Notice that I said he did that "once." He knows better now.

:tbo:

Paul53
10-28-2012, 20:30
deleted

RWBlue
10-28-2012, 20:34
He did that once a couple of years ago and I rushed over and kicked him to see if he really was dead. Notice that I said he did that "once." He knows better now.

:tbo:

Good for you.:rofl: