Limiting Magazine Capacity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Limiting Magazine Capacity

SD Handgunner
10-25-2012, 10:01
This title may seem a bit strange to most as most are looking for ways to increase magazine capacity thus the reason for choosing certain firearms to begin with. Please bear with me as I try to explain.

I have a Glock Model 21SF that I truely love. I think it is a great handgun. I have hunted Whitetail Deer with Single Shot Speciality Handguns since 1982. In all those years I have used a variety of different open sighted handguns as sort of a back up weapon for close range work in thick cover where a scoped single shot would not be the best choice etc.

I am have been contemplating either using +P .45 ACP Ammo and or converting the Glock 21SF to .45 Super to enable me to shoot some of the various Buffalo Bore offerings in .45 Super. My problem and the reason for this posting is as follows.

South Dakota law states that for a Cartridge to be legal for Handgun Hunting Whitetail Deer it must be factory rated to produce a minimum of 500 FtLbs of Energy at the Muzzle (several +P offerings meet this requirement as well as .45 Super offerings). However the other part of the South Dakota law states that for an Autoloading Cartridge to be legal for use in South Dakota for Hunting of Whitetail Deer it must only be capable of holding 6 cartridges.

In talking with my local Conservation Officer (who is a good friend of mine) he tells me that if I can permenantly modify a couple Glock 10 round magazines to only hold 5 rounds (and only have those modified magazinese in my possession while hunting) I would meet the magazine capacity requiement.

My question is simply what would be the best easiest method of let's say modifying a 10 round Glock Model 21 Magazine to only hold 5 rounds (5 rounds plus one in the chamber would meet the 6 round capacity requirement)?

Sorry for being long winded.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Larry

viper144
10-25-2012, 10:10
Can't you make a spacer (plug) to put in the bottom of the magazine that only allows the follower to go down enough to hold the 5 rounds. Either make a solid plug and cut off the spring some, or put some thin pieces of plastic along the inside of the mag that stops the follower at the point you want. Would be similar to a shotgun plug.

stolenphot0
10-25-2012, 10:11
I would say to do that you will need to either cut coil springs (or maybe a spring from a subcompact magazine) and build a plug to insert into the magazine tube. Once you have it feeding and working reliably, then epoxy the plug into place, then epoxy the mag plate into place.

JBS
10-25-2012, 10:16
So, unlike a shotgun that can have a removable plug to get to three rounds for game birds if it is a S/A handgun the round limiter must be “permanent” ?
You can epoxy a restrictor rod up through the floor plate and insert. Once you do this the base will not come off. A 1/8 inch rod should clear the spring to the bottom of the follower Ok. Ask him if that will work.

dkf
10-25-2012, 10:31
Maybe modify a mag baseplate with a 8-32, 10-32 or 1/4-28 bolt sticking up the middle to limit the follower travel only allowing 6 rounds to fit. Maybe have an aluminum or steel mag base made which is drilled and tapped for the screw and can be adjustable. The baseplates are not hard to machine. The mag spring will deflect some but it may work. If you try cutting the spring and messing with the tension you experience issues with feeding.

freekshow001
10-25-2012, 11:32
Put a rivet in the back of your magazine to prevent the follower from going all the way down. That's what they do up here in Canada to make 33rnd mags legal for10rnd restriction.

SD Handgunner
10-25-2012, 13:37
Thanks for the feedback and ideas guys. I took my 13 round magazine apart and looked it over. The spring is not the same dimension from end to end with the top end of the spring being much smaller. I actually like the idea of the rivit in the rear and will explore that option. Thanks for the replies.

Larry

JBS
10-25-2012, 13:43
If you use the rivet method you may have to counter sink the head into the plastic for clearance in the mag well.

dhgeyer
10-25-2012, 14:04
Instead of a rivet, how about a piece of plastic maybe 1/16" thick, about as wide as the inside of the mag, epoxied or superglued into place? Doesn't have to go all the way to the bottom. Just tall enough for a good bond shouldn't interfere with the spring.

diamondd2
10-25-2012, 15:03
Paul at Arms and Ammo in NJ pins 17rd Glock 17mags to 15rds for NJ folk. In sure he can modify some G21 mags for you.

Website is WWW.colddeadhands.com

Bruce M
10-25-2012, 15:52
Someone who is already is modifying Glock magazines might well be worth the money especially if a once in a decade, trophy type animal is encountered.

stolenphot0
10-25-2012, 17:57
a rivet is a pretty good idea. simple too.

SD Handgunner
10-25-2012, 18:16
Paul at Arms and Ammo in NJ pins 17rd Glock 17mags to 15rds for NJ folk. In sure he can modify some G21 mags for you.

Website is WWW.colddeadhands.com

Thanks I sent Arms and Ammo an e mail.

Larry

kashdaddy
10-25-2012, 19:01
how about filling the bottom of the mag with snap caps and the top with live rounds - hahahaha.

SCmasterblaster
10-25-2012, 19:24
Just why is there a six-round limit in SD anyway? Is there a good reason for it?

freekshow001
10-26-2012, 11:59
a rivet is a pretty good idea. simple too.
A rivet also doesn't permanently alter the magazine, simply drill out the rivet to go back to original.

Bluestreakfl
10-26-2012, 12:04
how about filling the bottom of the mag with snap caps and the top with live rounds - hahahaha.

Actually not a bad idea and then you don't have to modify your mag

Sent from my phone booth

Bren
10-26-2012, 12:28
I would say to do that you will need to either cut coil springs (or maybe a spring from a subcompact magazine) and build a plug to insert into the magazine tube. Once you have it feeding and working reliably, then epoxy the plug into place, then epoxy the mag plate into place.

Why? We use easily removeable plugs in shotgun magazines to meet these requirements. Unless his state is different, hunters have always used temporary plugs like Remington supplies from the factory.

Bren
10-26-2012, 12:30
Actually not a bad idea and then you don't have to modify your mag

Sent from my phone booth

Then it can still be loaded with live rounds - if it was just a mattter of only loading 6 rounds, you wouldn''t have to change the capacity.

bustedknee
10-26-2012, 20:13
Have the magazine engraved:

"By Law, This Magazine is Limited to 5 Rounds".

Have it engraved just below the "LEO Use Only".

:animlol:

stolenphot0
10-26-2012, 20:20
Why? We use easily removeable plugs in shotgun magazines to meet these requirements. Unless his state is different, hunters have always used temporary plugs like Remington supplies from the factory.

Because he said permanently modified. Removable plugs aren't considered permanent in some places.

Greekfed
10-26-2012, 22:34
Just why is there a six-round limit in SD anyway? Is there a good reason for it?

The regulation was written by a revolver shooter?

:whistling:

dkf
10-26-2012, 22:41
Put a rivet in the back of your magazine to prevent the follower from going all the way down. That's what they do up here in Canada to make 33rnd mags legal for10rnd restriction.

Why even buy the 31 or 33 round mags then? Street cred?:faint: Buy 10rd mags.

SD Handgunner
10-26-2012, 23:11

Don't know the answer to that one. It is not just a handgun thing but for any autoloading firearms to be used for Deer Hunting in SD.

Larry

kashdaddy
10-27-2012, 04:31
Then it can still be loaded with live rounds - if it was just a matter of only loading 6 rounds, you wouldn''t have to change the capacity.

Not necessarily..............if you have a ten rounder and need to limit the capacity for a hunting trip then lets say you put in five snap caps on the bottom and then five live rounds on the top. If you are stopped by the warden then you can show you intentionally only plan to shoot five. You restricted the mag to only shoot five. I dont think you can strip out those snap caps and alter that mag before that animal being gone.

With your scenario above. If you only load the five live rounds with no snap caps then who is to say that you did not have ten live rounds and already discharge five. You did not intentionally try to limit your mag from loading more than five. You could have pop your mag and put in a few more rounds at any time. You open yourself for lots of possibilities.

On the idea of using a rivet:
I dont like the thought of that for reliability reasons. Never know if it will prevent full function of the spring. It can make the follower stuck and not function properly. The mag was not design for such mod and I certainly would not alter the spring or put anything that can fall off or make certain moving parts suck. It would just open a reliability issue and then we would have a thread saying how much Glock suck.

faawrenchbndr
10-27-2012, 05:34
This title may seem a bit strange to most as most are looking for ways to increase magazine capacity thus the reason for choosing certain firearms to begin with. Please bear with me as I try to explain.

I have a Glock Model 21SF that I truely love. I think it is a great handgun. I have hunted Whitetail Deer with Single Shot Speciality Handguns since 1982. In all those years I have used a variety of different open sighted handguns as sort of a back up weapon for close range work in thick cover where a scoped single shot would not be the best choice etc.

I am have been contemplating either using +P .45 ACP Ammo and or converting the Glock 21SF to .45 Super to enable me to shoot some of the various Buffalo Bore offerings in .45 Super. My problem and the reason for this posting is as follows.

South Dakota law states that for a Cartridge to be legal for Handgun Hunting Whitetail Deer it must be factory rated to produce a minimum of 500 FtLbs of Energy at the Muzzle (several +P offerings meet this requirement as well as .45 Super offerings). However the other part of the South Dakota law states that for an Autoloading Cartridge to be legal for use in South Dakota for Hunting of Whitetail Deer it must only be capable of holding 6 cartridges.

In talking with my local Conservation Officer (who is a good friend of mine) he tells me that if I can permenantly modify a couple Glock 10 round magazines to only hold 5 rounds (and only have those modified magazinese in my possession while hunting) I would meet the magazine capacity requiement.

My question is simply what would be the best easiest method of let's say modifying a 10 round Glock Model 21 Magazine to only hold 5 rounds (5 rounds plus one in the chamber would meet the 6 round capacity requirement)?

Sorry for being long winded.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Larry

Rivet idea will not work. Will bind the spring.
Need a spacer to fill the entire mag area & shorten spring.
Or
A center pedistal to stop the downward travel of the follower.

Bren
10-27-2012, 06:18
An easy way to make a block for the magazine would be to take an old 9mm/40/.357 magazine that doesn't work and cut a section and put it inside the .45 mag, around the spring - between the follower and base plate. If you really want to permanently change the mag capacity, you could glue it, but, kepp in mind, permanently blocking magazines was part of the AWB, not most hunting laws.

Bren
10-27-2012, 06:20
If you are stopped by the warden then you can show you intentionally only plan to shoot five. You restricted the mag to only shoot five. I dont think you can strip out those snap caps and alter that mag before that animal being gone.

You are restricted to a capacity of 5, most places. "I only planned to shoot 5" is no more legal than just putting 5 rounds in a 20-round mage...which isn't legal.

Because he said permanently modified. Removable plugs aren't considered permanent in some places.

Maybe, but that isn't what the South Dakota hunting regulations say:

No self-loading or autoloading firearm that holds more than six cartridges may be used to hunt big game....(§ 41-8-10, -13).

The "permanent" part is the OP's interpretation.

freekshow001
10-27-2012, 12:24
Why even buy the 31 or 33 round mags then? Street cred?:faint: Buy 10rd mags.
So you can drill out the rivet and have a 33rnd mag, just don't get caught with it.

On the idea of using a rivet:
I dont like the thought of that for reliability reasons. Never know if it will prevent full function of the spring. It can make the follower stuck and not function properly. The mag was not design for such mod and I certainly would not alter the spring or put anything that can fall off or make certain moving parts suck. It would just open a reliability issue and then we would have a thread saying how much Glock suck.
Everything you said is true, when you alter something from its original design its gonna alter the reliability to. The rivet idea is just how they alter the mags here in Canada and i have never had a problem with the spring binding or follower getting stuck, but that's just one persons experience.