Question on Theft report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on Theft report

larry_minn
10-25-2012, 10:17
Backstory. I noticed some items had been taken. Value is under $100, when taken possibly as long as 24 months ago.

So I do some checking around as limited market. I get nothing so (as requested in media) I report it via e-mail.
I send all info. Location, time period, items, description, my name, address, cell, and that I checked locally and no leads, I understand its nothing to go on/no reason to come out.
I get phone call. "This is Deputy xxxxx I was just handed this printout of a e-mail you sent, can I ask you some questions?" I say sure. He then asks my name (on e-mail) address (email) what/where taken (email) descriptions (email) value (I didn't do spacific values) and my middle name.
The only two things I didn't give were my full middle name, value of each piece.
So my question is.What is point of detailed e-mail if they are going to ask for info that (I assume if he had printout) is right infront of him?
I have fair idea of info needed. I put it in easy form.

Location xxxxxxxxx
items taken xxxxxxx
time period last 24 months
etc. Just seems a waste of time to "get" info that should be infront of him.

rockapede
10-25-2012, 10:21
Backstory. I noticed some items had been taken. Value is under $100, when taken possibly as long as 24 months ago.

So I do some checking around as limited market. I get nothing so (as requested in media) I report it via e-mail.
I send all info. Location, time period, items, description, my name, address, cell, and that I checked locally and no leads, I understand its nothing to go on/no reason to come out.
I get phone call. "This is Deputy xxxxx I was just handed this printout of a e-mail you sent, can I ask you some questions?" I say sure. He then asks my name (on e-mail) address (email) what/where taken (email) descriptions (email) value (I didn't do spacific values) and my middle name.
The only two things I didn't give were my full middle name, value of each piece.
So my question is.What is point of detailed e-mail if they are going to ask for info that (I assume if he had printout) is right infront of him?
I have fair idea of info needed. I put it in easy form.

Location xxxxxxxxx
items taken xxxxxxx
time period last 24 months
etc. Just seems a waste of time to "get" info that should be infront of him.

You made a report via email of a theft that occurred up to two years ago of items worth less than $100? I'd be jumping for joy that I even got a followup call if I were in your shoes.

larry_minn
10-25-2012, 11:13
I realize its a waste of time. They are on the "report everything" kick in area. I don't expect anything to happen. At most its POSSIBLE the they catch the person and he has not unloaded the items yet. Maybe it can be enough that he pleads and gets 2 days in jail?
It just seemed strange he had to ask for all the info I already provided. (and I assume if they printed e-mail he had infront of him)
Why would he waste his time? (and mine)
What I found funny is he said they would send extra patrols. (I didn't laugh out loud but really?)

Ohio Cop
10-25-2012, 11:15
Verification purposes.
I wouldn't attach my name and unit number to a report solely from email. More than likely its a recorded line. CYA.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Patchman
10-25-2012, 13:03
At the very least, the LEO had to verify the information and make sure you were real. Otherwise anyone (I'm thinking Bart Simpson) could just pen a complaint of [any] crime and slide it under the police chief's door.

x_out86
10-25-2012, 19:37
Verification purposes.
I wouldn't attach my name and unit number to a report solely from email. More than likely its a recorded line. CYA.

Absolutely. I always like to do my own interview and then have them do a written statement. Its pretty redundant, but I can then report and testify to the facts in my report that I specifically obtained all info and confirmed it to be as accurate as possible.

Ohio Cop
10-25-2012, 20:34
Absolutely. I always like to do my own interview and then have them do a written statement. Its pretty redundant, but I can then report and testify to the facts in my report that I specifically obtained all info and confirmed it to be as accurate as possible.

I was taught to do a written statement. A few more minutes but then it's difficult for te victim to backpedal (which we all know never happens).

ateamer
10-25-2012, 22:20
What is the statute of limitations for a $100 theft? Around here it's one year, which means that we wouldn't accept the report.

x_out86
10-26-2012, 18:07
I was taught to do a written statement. A few more minutes but then it's difficult for te victim to backpedal (which we all know never happens).

Agreed. Little harder for them to recant their statement or change what they witnessed when its in writing. The same reason that whenever I have somebody that is "no DL on person" during a traffic stop, I have THEM write down their name,DOB and address on my notepad. That way if they are trying to pull a fast one on me, I have all the evidence I need in THEIR writing.

rockapede
10-26-2012, 18:36
Agreed. Little harder for them to recant their statement or change what they witnessed when its in writing. The same reason that whenever I have somebody that is "no DL on person" during a traffic stop, I have THEM write down their name,DOB and address on my notepad. That way if they are trying to pull a fast one on me, I have all the evidence I need in THEIR writing.

This is an interesting idea, I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

That is, of course, if any of the people I stop can actually write....we shall see.

ray9898
10-26-2012, 18:37
Yup...as above. I am not taking a crime report just from the info on an email that could be sent by anyone.

Sharky7
10-26-2012, 18:47
What items were taken? Where from? Suspects?

x_out86
10-29-2012, 11:47
This is an interesting idea, I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

That is, of course, if any of the people I stop can actually write....we shall see.
Definitely give it a shot. I just used this the other day on a hispanic who tried to play like he didnt know his name. Then he tried to play the "no habla english" card when i told him to write his name. I think he was a bit pissed when I told him in spanish to write his name and DOB.

He did write it down, but gave me half his real name and a bogus DOB. That notebook sheet got attached right to my report and forwarded to the DA when I hooked his ass for 3 warrants (one being an active ICE warrant for deportation) as well as other various local charges including obstructing an officer.

Again, pretty hard for him to argue in court that I understood his name/dob wrong when HE wrote the damn thing.