Don't swerve! Hit the brakes and hit the deer!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Don't swerve! Hit the brakes and hit the deer!!!

inthefrey
10-25-2012, 10:42
I know it is an instinctive reaction but, should you see a deer in the road, GRAB THE WHEEL TIGHTLY, HIT THE BRAKES AND HIT THE DEER!!!

DO NOT SWERVE!!! HIT THE DEER!

Another young driver in our area killed, losing control after swerving to miss a deer.

http://www.wtae.com/news/local/westmoreland/New-Stanton-crash-kills-teenager/-/10932546/17128040/-/p478ftz/-/index.html?tid=2654761311813&tmi=pit_12pm_1_10500110252012&tml=pit_12pm&treets=pit&ts=H

ray9898
10-25-2012, 11:28
Its not just deer, people swerve for rabbits, dogs, cats and any variety of animals.

JW1178
10-25-2012, 11:31
Often people will swerve as the animal reacts to try to get out of the way and end up colliding anyways.

larry_minn
10-25-2012, 11:32
There are many possible actions to object in road. I have steered around deer/people. Like most everything what works for you is not always best for everyone.
Stay in lane, hit brakes/hold on is basic. With anti lock brakes its the best for most folks. Simple, easy, safe.
IF you can go beyond that its worth looking into a SLIGHT change of direction. Just a hint keeping more room between you, traffic ahead, watching more then just road gives you extra seconds.
So if you panic/caught unaware hit the brakes.
I have been in two accidents where person infront of me panic stops, I have not had room to safely go left/right so I stop behind them. Car behind me does NOT stop and plows into me a +40mph. When I have had room to safely go around obstruction I have gotted to go back on foot and see how badly the guy riding my tail hit it. (I may not be as sympathetic as I should) They hit the deer, I got the meat. :)
The faster you drive the less options you have. We had first rain in month with heavy fog. Folks driving 75++ on interstate. I am sure it will "buff right out" I stayed just under 70 (only because I was in hurry) and was dang near outdriving my visibility.

DaneA
10-25-2012, 11:32
Aim for the head as to not damage as much meat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Smokin45
10-25-2012, 11:33
No doubt if an animal runs in front of me its getting mowed down, no matter what it is two legged or four. On a side note I ran over a cow once :shocked:

Smokin45
10-25-2012, 11:33
Well, ran INTO a cow I should say

Random
10-25-2012, 11:36
My car is 4ft tall. If I hit a deer I'm wearing that deer.

Chesafreak
10-25-2012, 11:41
I also believe it better to hit the deer than to swerve and hit something else or run off the road. My ex wife ran off the road when trying to miss a deer and without a dead deer carcass and police report, insurance co. assumed that she just lost control and tried to blame it on a deer.

DaneA
10-25-2012, 11:47

Ok how did you NOT see that?

Bow Commander
10-25-2012, 11:48
...which goes against natural instinct. You can tell people not to swerve 'til you're blue in the face. Doesn't necessarily affect how they'll react when the time comes.

But I agree. Hit the *amn thing!

Gareth68
10-25-2012, 11:48
Deer are quick, sometimes you gotta swerve a little to get the bastages.

IGotIt
10-25-2012, 11:56

Coyotes too!

Geko45
10-25-2012, 12:09

Put those deer alerts on the front. Those things will sucker them right in.

vart
10-25-2012, 12:19
I also believe it better to hit the deer than to swerve and hit something else or run off the road. My ex wife ran off the road when trying to miss a deer and without a dead deer carcass and police report, insurance co. assumed that she just lost control and tried to blame it on a deer.
She is at fault if she swerves and loses control. If she swerves, hits the deer, then loses control it's a not at fault accident...

Always hit the deer...:cool:

hosspuller
10-25-2012, 12:22
I drive a lot with a GN horse trailer. I've already decided that it's safest for me and the animals to hit anything head-on. Like the Titantic, there will be more damage in an offset collision. Woe to the car that cuts us in front of us. Seems that my extra space between me and the vehicle in front is an invitation to pull out.

ChuteTheMall
10-25-2012, 12:22
Possible exception for motorcycles.

*ASH*
10-25-2012, 12:34
na just aim for where animal was when seen , and when you get there it will gone. im thinking unless its a bear or moose people can slam on brakes and be fine , so far i have . plus im sure speed is a factor . plus if it is you time to go you will go no matter what

AlexHassin
10-25-2012, 12:41
i think i will continue swerving on the bike. i made a rule. if im going to go, im going big.

Caver 60
10-25-2012, 12:52

Had a guy on a bike with a helmet killed just a few weeks ago near here, when he hit a deer while rounding a not to sharp curve on a bike. Don't know how fast he was going. Dead guy and dead deer right there.

frizz
10-25-2012, 12:53
How often do deer collisions result in the deer smashing in through the windshield.

People do die that way. Or should I say, "doe" that way?

inthefrey
10-25-2012, 12:54

Long ago, I stopped riding a bike at night but, yes, a motorcycle is a different story.

aspartz
10-25-2012, 12:56
In EVO classes, we are taught to not even brake, as that could cause you to lose control.
However, the class is wrong in one respect, "DEER!" is usually not the first thing you yell to notify you partner/crew.

ARS

aspartz
10-25-2012, 12:57
How often do deer collisions result in the deer smashing in through the windshield.

People do die that way. Or should I say, "doe" that way?
That is another reason no to brake. If hitting the beast in inevitable, hit the gas. This will bring up the nose of a smaller vehicle and perhaps keep Bambi from coming over the hood.

ARS

CanMan
10-25-2012, 13:08
When I was a young Buck, J.C. Whitey made a product called 'curb feelers'.... they were antenna like things that kept a driver from scraping the s*i* outta the whitewalls on his car while parking. Now I wish Cabela's made 'deer feelers' so it was easier to harvest a young buck!

Annhl8rX
10-25-2012, 13:31
My wife was telling me one day what she learned in driver's ed that you should do if there's an animal in the road. She swore they told her you should accelerate (to raise the front of the vehicle) and recline the seat as far as possible) in case the animal comes through the windshield.

There's a great idea...speed up and don't look where you're going. What happens after you hit the animal, or if it moves and you miss it? If they actually taught that in her driver's ed class, it explains a lot about her driving.

DaneA
10-25-2012, 13:35
My wide was telling me one day what she learned in driver's ed that you should do if there's an animal in the road. .

You might not want you wife to see your misspellings

Hicksville Kid
10-25-2012, 13:48
My kids (3) are in their thirtys now. I drilled into them from the time they started driving that you stop if you can for an animal, but you do not swerve. I've seen people swerve for squirrels and putting themselves in danger and still killing the squirrel. These animals will change direction 4 times so you are at a disadvantage. If they were constantly moving in one direction you have a better chance of avoiding them. An animal is not worth risking your life over or the lives of your passengers.

Years ago, on LI there was a woman that dodged a dog on a main throughfare, hit a cement truck and it rolled over on her and killed her and her three children. I was younger then and it made a LARGE impression on me.

I don't swerve. Brakes only.

Paul53
10-25-2012, 13:50
In Maine the common wisdom is to aim for the rear legs. Haven't quite figured out the logic behind that yet. In Maine you're more likely to hit a moose. They have such long legs that many people never see them in the road at night because the low beams go right under them.

Also, expect to dicker with the wrecker driver for the venison. Claim you will have someone there shortly and offer to trade the tow for the cost of the meat. That is, if the LEO doesn't claim it first.

Typical questioning goes like this; What happened? Do you want the venison? Are you injured?

Glock20 10mm
10-25-2012, 14:02
Aim for the head as to not damage as much meat.

This!!!

Captain Caveman
10-25-2012, 14:26
If you think about it, accelerate. This brings the front up and less likely to have the animal come through the windshield. Most people don't think about it at the time though.

Oh, and NEVER swerve. Use the hood ornament as a sight. :supergrin:

686Owner
10-25-2012, 15:11
If you think about it, accelerate. This brings the front up and less likely to have the animal come through the windshield. Most people don't think about it at the time though.

Oh, and NEVER swerve. Use the hood ornament as a sight. :supergrin:

Unless you are driving a corvette or a Cadillac that's only going to make about an inch difference, will make the impact worse and could cause you to run off the road after.

In other words. BS.

JW1178
10-25-2012, 15:44

Those poor motorcyclist being forced to ride their motorcycles. We should go out of our way and even lay down out own lives for these special people.

ChuteTheMall
10-25-2012, 16:05
Those poor motorcyclist being forced to ride their motorcycles. We should go out of our way and even lay down out own lives for these special people.

:headscratch:

On a motorcycle, I have quite a bit more room to maneuver within my lane, and quite a bit more maneuverability, so I'm better equipped to avoid hitting the deer than having to hit the brakes and hope for the best. Smaller critters feel like speedbumps.

I don't understand your post.

ChuteTheMall
10-25-2012, 16:09
My wide was telling me one day what she learned in driver's ed that you should do if there's an animal in the road. She swore they told her you should accelerate (to raise the front of the vehicle) and recline the seat as far as possible) in case the animal comes through the windshield.

:rofl:

I've never practiced emergency reactive seat reclining, I'd probably be too slow to benefit. Unless I had at least a full second before the moment of impact.

:animlol:

Dalton Wayne
10-25-2012, 16:22
When I was an officer, I got dispatched to an accident where a young lady swerved to miss a small box turtle crossing the road and wrapped her boyfriends week old corvette around a tree, she was not hurt but the vette was a total loss....

smokin762
10-25-2012, 16:30

:whistling:

Me, Myself, and Irene - YouTube

larry_minn
10-25-2012, 16:34

You failed to understand. What I got (maybe I am wrong) is that hitting the deer with motorcycle is greater danger then attempting to avoid it.
Most folks brakes are best option. I have driven thru many deer on roads. Never hit one. Neighbor has hit three in last 5 yrs less then mile from me. (on road I travel 3x a day on average mainly early morning/evening) I see lots of deer.

Brucev
10-25-2012, 16:38
Re: OP. Agree. Have only hit one deer... T Boned him. Ruined the car. But... my two little girls in the backseat never even woke up. On either side of the road the ditch was about 8-10 feet deep... lots of water, etc.

You can always buy another car. They are cheap. Two little girls are not cheap or replaceable.

joeface
10-25-2012, 17:15
i think i will continue swerving on the bike. i made a rule. if im going to go, im going big.

Been there and done that. Hit it doing 65 never even touched the brakes never swerved. Deer died I rode another mile to the gas station cause I knew if I stopped I was falling over. Only wound up with a broken ankle and a tore up right side of the bike. I rode it home after the sun came up.

oldsoldier
10-25-2012, 17:48
We're overrun with deer in my area of MO. I've had a bunch of close calls but never hit one yet. I hit a wild turkey and a hawk though. The turkey flew into the windshield then bounced off and broke off the radio antenna. I didn't see him until he hit the windshield so no dodging or hitting of the brakes. Wouldn't have done any good anyway. The hawk sort of just fell from the sky. I was driving slow and he went splat on the hood. I think he died while flying.

paynter2
10-25-2012, 18:11
I've killed three deer with my current Corolla. Actually, one committed suicide - ran into the back door! :shocked:

I know where I'm most likely to see deer and drive slower in those areas. I can drop from 45 to 30 very quickly - then just hit the damned things.

I have no idea how many deer I've hit over the years. There's about 15 feet between the woods line and the pavement. If they're standing on the shoulder you can slow down for them. If they bust out of the woods you're gonna hit them.

I disagree with the idea that you can't preach not to swerve. If you have it in your mind to apply the brakes and hit the deer - that's exactly what you'll do.

Oh - no damage to the Corolla. Maybe a small paint chip on the back door. But the other two casualties caused $140 damage total.

JW1178
10-25-2012, 18:38

On a motorcycle, I have quite a bit more room to maneuver within my lane, and quite a bit more maneuverability, so I'm better equipped to avoid hitting the deer than having to hit the brakes and hope for the best. Smaller critters feel like speedbumps.

I was being sarcastic. I quoted "exemption for motorcycles" and now not sure but I took it as should you swerve to miss a motorcycle? Or maybe the poster I quoted meant when on a motorcycle? I just get tired of this " watch out for motorcycles " because I watch out for everyone. Just because someone gets on a bike doesn't make them special.

About to swerve or not, it depends on the situation.

JW1178
10-25-2012, 18:43
One thing I like to add. Twice in the past year or so, I've hot the brakes to not hit an animal and the vehicle behind me had a wreck. One was a minivan and he lost control and went in the ditch, his kids were hurt pretty bad. The other e almost hit me, but got angry and wanted to stop to talk about it. I kept driving so he got on my butt and then i did brake check him and he ate trailer hitch.

Otto Pistol
10-25-2012, 18:44
15 years ago there was a deer accident on the Interstate here. Driver A slammed into deer at highway speed. Deer went over Car A and went through windshield of Car B directly behind Car A, killing Driver B.

Vehicle accidents are as uncertain as gunfights.

BEER
10-25-2012, 19:00
i used to work as a climber for a residential tree cutting crew. you wanna talk about correct action vs. automatic reaction? try teaching yourself to lean back if you're falling out of a tree! lol let me tell ya, trying to wrap your arms around the trunk and hanging on is a BAAAAAAAD plan.

Chuck TX
10-25-2012, 19:09
I usually try to hit 'em just so, so that they stick to the cattle guard without using rope.

Lt Scott 14
10-25-2012, 20:37
Had a Signal10 call(lights and siren), cracked a small doe at 65mph. Took out the grill, passengar headlight, front right fender. Deer fur was packed around all the front end idler arms, ball joints, torsion bars, skid plate. Blood also.
Kicked torso to side of road, advised ISP of a collision, and continued to call. When returned to meet a Trooper, torso was gone, drag marks to a ditch, found only skeleton remains. Probably a coyote or two had dinner?
Chief remained skeptical till my squad was inspected, and wasn't totally happy about the damage done. He had hit one himself, years ago, and tried to swerve and put the car into a ditch. No persons hurt, but /FYI: Hit the gas when the deer ran into my path.

JW1178
10-25-2012, 20:51
About hitting the dear. A friend of mine's wife's best friend from childhood was killed when she hit a deer and it went through the windshield and killed her. Another person from her town was killed walking on the side of the road when a car hit a dear and the deer was slung into him killing him. I see why deer hunting is serious business in that town, because in that town it's either you or them. TOTAL F'IN WAR!!! lol

shotgunred
10-25-2012, 21:41
Last winter driving before dawn I had to slam on my breaks for several heard of elk, 2 deer. skunk, coyote, a horse and a couple of who knows what it is. Never swerve always break hard.

inthefrey
10-25-2012, 22:00
i used to work as a climber for a residential tree cutting crew. you wanna talk about correct action vs. automatic reaction? try teaching yourself to lean back if you're falling out of a tree! lol let me tell ya, trying to wrap your arms around the trunk and hanging on is a BAAAAAAAD plan.

I like it! In my earlier career, I was a cable tv installer. I was trained to climb telephone poles. Most poles are intersections for all kinds of gadgetry from different utilities - phone, cable fiber and electric. My instructor said, " Those black boots are to keep the telephone cross connections dry. They also make great bee hives! If you're ever 30 feet off the ground and start getting stung, DON'T PANIC, TAKE THE STINGS AND CLIMB DOWN! The sting will hurt but the fall can kill you!:supergrin:

AK_Stick
10-25-2012, 22:00

And if you swerve, I'm wearing you.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/Truck/011.jpg

TactiCool
10-25-2012, 23:01
Preferably, I like to hit the deer at about 30-35 mph. Any faster, my truck will be damaged, but any slower, they might still be alive. And that would just be cruel.

After the hit, I toss 'em in the back and go make some yummy sausage out of 'em.

Trapped_in_Kali
10-25-2012, 23:07

I've lost track of the # of "Forrest Rats" (Deer) that I've almost hit on bikes. :shocked: I've also lost friends that didn't miss them.

In my truck or car I'd try going through them but on 2 wheels I avoid.

Boot Stomper
10-26-2012, 04:17
I was the investigating officer of a fatal car crash a number a years back involving a deer and a elderly female driver.

Our conclusion of the investigation was the driver swerved right to the miss the deer, but struck the deer. The driver pushed the accelerator instead of the brake while on the right hand shoulder which was loose gravel. The driver pulled back onto the roadway at a high rate of speed, over correcting and drove through the guardrail on the left side of the road. The Chevy flipped several time and landed in a wooded area. The driver was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle. The driver was found in the wooded area in very bad shape but alive. She did later die at the hospital.

The deer was not on scene. We concluded a deer was involved because the engine compartment was full of deer hair as well as around the scene. The family of the victim confirmed the vehicle had not struck a deer prior to that day.

With regards to this post. While the deer caused the accident, the drivers reaction resulted in her death. Had she hit the brake and just hit the deer there is a good possibility she would have survived the accident. Also if she had worn her seat belt she would have likely not been ejected from the vehicle.

One last thing from this incident. The vehicle in the accident was full of junk that ended up all over the side of the road and in the wooded area. All the crap in the car becomes projectile that can injure and kill.

End point. Drive safely, wear your seat belt and clean out the crap in your car.

One other thing to remember is often there is more than one deer. You may swerve to miss one and hit another. Be safe.

noway
10-26-2012, 05:48
Hey I have the solution to aovid all of this silly talk about avoiding deer, trying to speed up, dodging them or just braking,etc....

just move the damm sign :)

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/241882003.jpg

:tongueout:

F14Scott
10-26-2012, 06:14
I don't like the blanket instructions: always brake, never steer, never brake, always steer, etc. How about, "Maneuver, to the limits of adhesion, to avoid a collision with the deer."

I will add that the deer that gets hit is often the trailer in a pair of two. Deer #1 bounds across the road, driver brakes and swerves to pass aft, and driver smacks trailing deer #2. For this reason, I try to aim to just miss the tail of deer #1. Haven't hit one yet.

railfancwb
10-26-2012, 06:34
Brake and slight swerve may have kept me from sending a woman to heaven Sunday morning. She stopped, waited, then turned left on front of me into a church parking lot just as I got there. Straight section of country road, good visibility, no other traffic. I was doing about 45...the speed limit. So it isn't just deer.

Bilbo Bagins
10-26-2012, 06:49
A good friend of mine is an insurance guy, and he basically says to hit the deer.

If you swerve and hit a tree, guardrail, etc. Its considered an accident. Its your fault and your rates will go up. Plus hitting a solid object will cause more damage and injury.

If you swerve and hit another vehicle, its an accident and will be your fault. Plus getting into a head on collision will definately cause more damage and injury and could even be fatal.

You hit an animal, most insurance considers it an "act of nature" and if its your first time your rates will never go up.

skew12
10-26-2012, 07:22
deers don't hit as hard as trees do...

Lady Glock
10-26-2012, 14:21
Hit a deer, it goes on your comprehensive coverage...swerve to miss a deer and hit another car or go in the ditch or roll the car, it goes on your collision. Deer are considered "act of nature", losing control is not.

sappy13
10-26-2012, 16:15
You also want to hit them instead of swerving for insurance purposes. If you swerve and put your car into a ditch, its held against you. If you slam the deer, then you still pay the deductable but it doesnt count as a strike against you on insurance.

rustygun
10-26-2012, 18:35
Ok two quick stories.

The speed up and ram the deer works well. My buddy was driving his 79 impala down the highway going 65ish when he saw the deer. I'm riding shotgun and slide down in the seat when he yelled duck. A yearling deer broke his legs off in the grille crushed the radiator and motor dropped off the mounts. He had deer fur stuck in the top of front glass below the vinyl top. Soon as he stopped the damn car never ran again. He ran back and finished the barely alive deer with a crowbar from the trunk. But both of us were comepletely fine.

Second story.

My mom was driving my brother was in the front seat of an ltd. She hit the brakes when a truck going the other way hit a deer and it went airborne. He had slowed down and she slowed down. Deer came thru the windshield hit my 12 year old brother broke the seat and kicked him a few times before it gave up the ghost. Six days of coma three surgeries and every bone in his face broken. He lived and now 25 years later he still isn't right. But a small bonus is if its cold out and he wrinkles up his eyebrow you can still kinda see a hoofprint on his forehead.

Hicksville Kid
10-26-2012, 18:47
Ok two quick stories.

The speed up and ram the deer works well. My buddy was driving his 79 impala down the highway going 65ish when he saw the deer. I'm riding shotgun and slide down in the seat when he yelled duck. A yearling deer broke his legs off in the grille crushed the radiator and motor dropped off the mounts. He had deer fur stuck in the top of front glass below the vinyl top. Soon as he stopped the damn car never ran again. He ran back and finished the barely alive deer with a crowbar from the trunk. But both of us were comepletely fine.

Second story.

My mom was driving my brother was in the front seat of an ltd. She hit the brakes when a truck going the other way hit a deer and it went airborne. He had slowed down and she slowed down. Deer came thru the windshield hit my 12 year old brother broke the seat and kicked him a few times before it gave up the ghost. Six days of coma three surgeries and every bone in his face broken. He lived and now 25 years later he still isn't right. But a small bonus is if its cold out and he wrinkles up his eyebrow you can still kinda see a hoofprint on his forehead.
You are one sick puppy!:rofl:

Boot Stomper
10-26-2012, 18:50
Last winter driving before dawn I had to slam on my breaks for several heard of elk, 2 deer. skunk, coyote, a horse and a couple of who knows what it is. Never swerve always break hard.

Was Noah building a Ark near your home??

true believer
10-26-2012, 19:15
I drive a lot with a GN horse trailer. I've already decided that it's safest for me and the animals to hit anything head-on. Like the Titantic, there will be more damage in an offset collision. Woe to the car that cuts us in front of us. Seems that my extra space between me and the vehicle in front is an invitation to pull out.

i saw that one time..a few years ago i was coming home from deer camp on the pa turnpike.. 2 pick ups pulling horse trailers passed me..about 5 minutes later both were on the side of the road..first hit a deer head on..the driver was sitting in the truck white as a ghost...but besides deer an truck all was ok..
:whistling::shocked:

true believer
10-26-2012, 19:19

we had a guy riding his bike and a deer ran out and killed him..:shocked:

clint curtis
10-26-2012, 22:40
Learn how to drive..... Learn how to swerve your car if you have to.

JW1178
10-26-2012, 23:37
Learn how to drive..... Learn how to swerve your car if you have to.

So true. I think the big difference is between someone who can really drive, and someone who can just steer their car. I mean really, how do you lose control of your car? Only exception is black ice. Most drivers don't know what to do if their car goes sideways.

okie
10-26-2012, 23:45
Hey I have the solution to aovid all of this silly talk about avoiding deer, trying to speed up, dodging them or just braking,etc....

:tongueout::rofl::rofl:

tantrix
10-26-2012, 23:53

So you want to wear a tree instead? I'd pick the deer.

But anyway, from my experiences working these kind of scenes, the majority of people injured during an encounter with animals on the road hit the animal anyway, then left the road and were seriously injured or killed. The best choice in those situations is always to hit the animal and keep your vehicle in your lane as best you can.

At 60mph chances are you aren't dodging anything, even on a motorcycle. And even if you were able to, do you want to risk slamming into a tree on a bike? I damn sure don't want to.

larry_minn
10-27-2012, 09:33
So I see three responses. 1. Apply brakes/stay in lane, hit deer. (maybe it will move) 2. If safe avoid deer (likely while slowing down/just not panic stop)
3. if you don't do what I say...You will kill yourself/others.

If you can't drive well the idea of slowing down/stay in lane is best. If you have room, if you can adapt to conditions you do have more options.
Using the example of 60mph decent conditions. I see deer/child,most anything larger then rabbit 100 feet ahead of me. I can NOT stop in time. What are you driving that on pavement, gravel, cement,etc can come to dead stop in 100'?
BUT I can make a small change in direction. (while reducing speed) If you can't fine.
I have gone into ditch. Its been a controled choice.T-bone car or drive in hay field. I only failed once when oncomming car hit me IN my ditch. (IF i had swerved into his lane I would not have a scratch. But you NEVER swerve left if oncoming traffic in area.)

Woofie
10-27-2012, 09:57
When I was an officer, I got dispatched to an accident where a young lady swerved to miss a small box turtle crossing the road and wrapped her boyfriends week old corvette around a tree, she was not hurt but the vette was a total loss....

I hope you overlooked the resulting domestic violence charge.

droidfire
10-27-2012, 10:09
I hope you overlooked the resulting domestic violence charge.

I hope not, anyone who would abuse someone over some inanimate thing, no matter how pretty, should be drug out into the street and shot.

inthefrey
10-27-2012, 10:36

:tongueout:

Nice..:rofl:

smokeross
10-27-2012, 11:25
Don't try that with an Alaska/Yukon moose. My kid hit one with his Honda. He drove right between it's front and rear legs. The legs took off both side mirrors. The body took out the windshield and roof. Came into the passenger compartment. nothing forward of the windshield was damaged. My son was lucky to survive.

smokeross
10-27-2012, 11:34
In Maine the common wisdom is to aim for the rear legs. Haven't quite figured out the logic behind that yet. In Maine you're more likely to hit a moose. They have such long legs that many people never see them in the road at night because the low beams go right under them.
If you hit a moose in the front legs it will come down on your vehicle and maybe through the windshield. If you hit the rear legs you knock them out from under it and the hind quarters will slide up and over your vehicle. Also if you swerve towards the rear of the animal you are going away from the direction it is going. I saw a guy try to swerve around a deer once. He was driving an ambulance. He swerved the direction the deer was going, and of course nailed it. We had it in the back of my truck before it stopped kicking, and were performing surgery on it before the victim in the ambulance got his.

inthefrey
11-13-2012, 17:31
ANother person killed in Western, PA - result of car striking deer and throwing it into another vehicle.

http://www.wtae.com/news/local/butler/Deer-hit-by-car-crashes-through-another-car-s-windshield-killing-woman/-/10928542/17368630/-/12k8isiz/-/index.html

Your chances of hitting a deer...

http://www.wtae.com/news/local/West-Virginia-tops-list-for-deer-collisions/-/9681086/17099798/-/fj6lwz/-/index.html