making a resume [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : making a resume

Diesel McBadass
10-25-2012, 12:33
Got to make a good one. any good sites to help do this? I generally am pretty bad at resume/cover letter stuff as i haven'thad to make a good one for legt jobs yet, most applications ive done are fill in the blank deals.

Any advice?

IndianaMatt
10-25-2012, 12:39
Got to make a good one. any good sites to help do this? I generally am pretty bad at resume/cover letter stuff as i haven'thad to make a good one for legt jobs yet, most applications ive done are fill in the blank deals.

Any advice?

There are a lot of good sites, but I would make sure you tailor it to your particular industry. Many fields have their own styles and formats they prefer - a graphic designer will be a very different looking resume from a lawyer from an engineer. Good luck with the job hunt.

Diesel McBadass
10-25-2012, 12:43
EMS/medical

janice6
10-25-2012, 12:49
No post.

Bren
10-25-2012, 13:06
Just keep in mind there is no resume law - if it gets the information across better, it's right, no matter what your example says. I don't like that they often advise you to shrink it to 1 page and leave out important details. If it's not on the resume, it doesn't count and when I look at them, 1 page ones aren't even read unless something catches my eye. Those are appropriate for 22-year-old college graduates. I think page 1 of my resume just covers education and my current job.

Diesel McBadass
10-25-2012, 19:38
Just keep in mind there is no resume law - if it gets the information across better, it's right, no matter what your example says. I don't like that they often advise you to shrink it to 1 page and leave out important details. If it's not on the resume, it doesn't count and when I look at them, 1 page ones aren't even read unless something catches my eye. Those are appropriate for 22-year-old college graduates. I think page 1 of my resume just covers education and my current job.

thing is, i dont have much to write, im 22 with only a few jobs worked and a associates with my licence. Be hard to get more than a page

DaneA
10-25-2012, 20:04
thing is, i dont have much to write, im 22 with only a few jobs worked and a associates with my licence. Be hard to get more than a page

Don't worry about it. Make it clean and to the point. Here is a great video to get some tips from:
http://youtu.be/aZVcXRcEJfI

geofri
10-25-2012, 20:07

Any advice?

Ah dood.

Been slaving away over mine all day!!

Pain up my butt! all that formatting and what not. All the templates I've found are retarded, and blah bhalsadfghjfgdfsa

I'm no help, sorry.

Good luck!

ithaca_deerslayer
10-25-2012, 20:08

1 page is enough if done right.

Whatever you do, have someone read it first. Someone who likes to read.

Easiest thing to do is catch misspellings and typos. But you, the author, will probably fail at that, even with a computer :) Thus you need someone to read what you wrote, instead of what you think you wrote.

3rdgen40
10-25-2012, 20:11
You're not going to try to write it yourself,are you?:whistling:

DaneA
10-25-2012, 20:11
1 page is enough if done right.

Whatever you do, have someone read it first. Someone who likes to read.

Easiest thing to do is catch misspellings and typos. But you, the author, will probably fail at that, even with a computer :) Thus you need someone to read what you wrote, instead of what you think you wrote.

He could just post it here so we can all make fun of him. :tongueout::rofl:

Diesel McBadass
10-25-2012, 20:19
You're not going to try to write it yourself,are you?:whistling:

who would write it, glock talk?

Say im a veteran of the caliber wars and member of esteemed gtds? think i will write it my self lol

geofri
10-25-2012, 20:27
who would write it, glock talk?

I think that should be the friday night squad group activity..