1st batch of .40 @ IDPA! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st batch of .40 @ IDPA!

ADK_40GLKr
10-25-2012, 13:43
Shot my 1st big batch of reloaded .40 last night at IDPA. Every round fired, I scored consistently with previous performance. Had loaded .68 grains of PP behind 165 grain plated hollow points, which was supposed to be the STARTING load for Power Pistol.

The rounds felt strong and consistent, but the other guys said they were making a BIG fireball. I think I'm gonna download my next batch to .60 grains (at least a mag-ful to see if they work.)

Any experience with this recipe?

sellersm
10-25-2012, 14:05
Congrats!! Nothing like shooting the ammo that you 'built' (don't let the POTUS know you built something :whistling:).

No experience with that recipe, however, PP is known for its fireball 'effect'. I think it adds to the drama. :supergrin:

F106 Fan
10-25-2012, 14:40
I think there is something wrong with your load description. 0.68 grains sounds VERY light. Perhaps 6.8?

Richard

ADK_40GLKr
10-25-2012, 16:16
Right-o!

You know theses newbs. Can't tell the difference b/n GRAINS & CC's!

Looking at the chart that came w/ my Lee .40 dies, it says .60 CC's and 6.8 grains of PP for 170 gr XTP. I figured that would be OK for 165 grain plated.

Yes, I measured 6.8 grains with my little digital scale!

HEAVIER BULLET TAKES A LIGHTER LOAD, right?

So, since LGS gave me PP for the .40's

-155 gr lead calls for 6.7 grains of PP &
-170 gr XTP requires 6.8 grains of the same........

In the spec sheet it says "If you cannot find a charge for the exact weight bullet you have selected, use the data for the next heavier bullet"

The next heavier bullet (than 165) that specifies Power Pistol was the 170 grain XTP, so I should be OK?

What part does the "Plated vs XTP" difference play?

shotgunred
10-25-2012, 16:33
Now switch over to win 231 and you will really fall in love.

F106 Fan
10-25-2012, 18:08
What part does the "Plated vs XTP" difference play?

My reading at the Hornady site has about convinced me that the XTP is a jacketed bullet. It's hard to be definitive because the manufactuers are deliberately hiding their plated bullets.

So, assuming the XTP is jacketed, you can not load a plated bullet past about half way in its charge range. If you read the plated bullet manufacturer's load instructions, they will say something like: "load between midrange lead and midrange jacketed and don't exceed 1200 fps". Or some variation on that theme.

In other words, the plated bullet manufacturers have not tested any loads that they care to publish. Which is why I don't use plated bullets. Besides, plated bullets cost just as much as jacketed and I can get real data for jacketed.

The downside to comparing plated to XTP is that I don't really know that the XTP is jacketed. But if you stay less than midrange and it really is plated, you will have a very wimpy load.

I use lead bullets with lead data and jacketed bullets with jacketed data. That way I don't get confused...

Powder charge is measured in grains as verified by a scale. The cc stuff works ok if everybody is on the same page but I doubt that very many around here rely on cc's. Everybody uses a scale (or two).

Besides, the cc to grains conversion is powder specific. When we all use grains, there is no confusion.

Richard

ADK_40GLKr
10-25-2012, 18:51
Now switch over to win 231 and you will really fall in love.

As in WIN-Chester??!?! :faint:

Taterhead
10-25-2012, 20:28
My reading at the Hornady site has about convinced me that the XTP is a jacketed bullet. It's hard to be definitive because the manufactuers are deliberately hiding their plated bullets.

So, assuming the XTP is jacketed, you can not load a plated bullet past about half way in its charge range. If you read the plated bullet manufacturer's load instructions, they will say something like: "load between midrange lead and midrange jacketed and don't exceed 1200 fps". Or some variation on that theme.

In other words, the plated bullet manufacturers have not tested any loads that they care to publish. Which is why I don't use plated bullets. Besides, plated bullets cost just as much as jacketed and I can get real data for jacketed.

The downside to comparing plated to XTP is that I don't really know that the XTP is jacketed. But if you stay less than midrange and it really is plated, you will have a very wimpy load.

I use lead bullets with lead data and jacketed bullets with jacketed data. That way I don't get confused...

Powder charge is measured in grains as verified by a scale. The cc stuff works ok if everybody is on the same page but I doubt that very many around here rely on cc's. Everybody uses a scale (or two).

Besides, the cc to grains conversion is powder specific. When we all use grains, there is no confusion.

Richard

XTPs are not plated. They are JHPs.

You are right about the load data for plated bullets. Following the manufacturers' recommendations to keep plated to mid-range loads; all is good to go. They do need some fiddling with load techniques though in order to keep groups worthwhile.

The only "plated" bullet manufacturer that I know of that does not call for reducing charge weights from jacketed bullet load data is PowerBond. They have much thicker copper so they operate much like a TMJ or FJM.

shotgunred
10-25-2012, 21:13
As in WIN-Chester??!?! :faint:

YEP!

whinchester 231 3.8gr behind a 180 grain bullet with an OAL of 1.130:supergrin:

Steve Koski
10-25-2012, 21:47
Whine-Chester-Tooth-Hurty-Won

ADK_40GLKr
10-31-2012, 11:31
Because of the reported fireball and brass bouncing off the wall 20 feet away with my 6.8 grain PP loads last week, I decided to download my next batch a bit.

I used the following charges in several rounds with 165 grain plated hollow point:

5.0 grains, 5.5 grains, and 6.0 grains. The recommended (in the Lee 40S&W chart that came with my dies) starting load was 6.8 grains of Power Pistol.

Took the lighter ones to the range yesterday and fired them at my homemade silhouette target. They worked adequately: all fired, all ejected, but mostly dribbled over my shooting hand and/or fell at my feet.

I didn't shoot the 6.0 grain, but plan to use them at IDPA tonight.

The remaining 6.8 grain loads I'll use for our "night shooting" scenario after we run the Classifier practice. That should be impressive in the dark.:whistling::whistling:

F106 Fan
10-31-2012, 11:51
I didn't shoot the 6.0 grain, but plan to use them at IDPA tonight.

The remaining 6.8 grain loads I'll use for our "night shooting" scenario after we run the Classifier practice. That should be impressive in the dark.:whistling::whistling:

It would be ideal if someone had a chronograph at the IDPA shoot. All that is required is a power factor of 125. Power factor is (bullet velocity in fps) * (bullet weight in grains) / 1000. You should probably load to a PF of 130 so as to never come up short should loads actually be measured at the event.

Richard

SARDG
10-31-2012, 15:16
Because of the reported fireball and brass bouncing off the wall 20 feet away with my 6.8 grain PP loads last week, I decided to download my next batch a bit...

...Took the lighter ones to the range yesterday and fired them at my homemade silhouette target. They worked adequately: all fired, all ejected, but mostly dribbled over my shooting hand and/or fell at my feet...

My 9 mil loads dribble out of the ejection port about 1 - 1.5' to my right in a nice little pile if I am standing still and I consider that a perfect situation. But you may want to check accuracy at 35yds with a light load like that - or with any load for that matter, but particularly those cream puffs. And as Richard said, they may not even make PF; mine are ~130.

From what you've implied, yours is not a sanctioned IDPA, but if you go further, you'll need a minimum of that 125PF - which brings up another point; I feel you need a chrono to work up competiton (match) rounds. I consider a balance of felt-recoil, accuracy, and min PF (and need the chrono to find velocity to figure PF), but I also like the other benefits of the powder I use which is virtually flashless.

orangeride
11-01-2012, 15:20
I run a lot of power pistol through my 10's and .40's. I love the powder but its always had a lot of flash. I just tried some auto-comp and got great fps and almost no flash.