Meth addict accused in burglary sues 90-year-old homeowner shot in jaw [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Meth addict accused in burglary sues 90-year-old homeowner shot in jaw

ERASER
10-25-2012, 14:02
http://www.marinij.com/rosskentfieldgreenbrae/ci_21837852/greenbrae-shooting-defendant-sues-90-year-old-man?source=most_viewed

eb07
10-25-2012, 14:28
California.... that explains it all

fastbolt
10-25-2012, 14:43
That could happen in any number of states.

Remember the burglary suspect who fell through a window while breaking into a home in another state (NY?) and successfully sued the home owner?

These sorts of civil lawsuits stopped being surprising many years ago ... in quite a number of states.

Ragnar
10-25-2012, 14:46
This wouldn't happen if the old guy had aimed better. Just saying.

ron59
10-25-2012, 15:13
The defense lawyer says, "it was a drug deal gone bad" ??

He's accusing the 90 year old man of being a drug dealer?

That lawyer needs to be disbarred, unless there's something might unusual going on.

tsmo1066
10-25-2012, 15:22
We desperately need to adopt a "loser pays" system with respect to civil suits.

A lot fewer attorneys would be willing to push frivolous crap like this if they knew the trial expenses would be coming out of their own pockets in the event of a loss.

Bren
10-25-2012, 15:32

A lot fewer attorneys would be willing to push frivolous crap like this if they knew the trial expenses would be coming out of their own pockets in the event of a loss.

We have it in Kentucky, for self-defense, defense of others and defense of property. If you are sued and found to be justified, the person suing you has to pay your attorney fees and any costs, lost wages, etc.

The court shall award reasonable attorney's fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff, if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1) of this section.

However, as the guy said, I'd counterclaim against him anyhow. He pays the filing fee, it's an instant win once he is convicted and then you can take anything he's got or gets or, just for fun, take whatever few dollars he deposits in his inmate account from his prison job.

We had an armed robber here who won the lottery after getting out of prison and got $100+ million - victim, unfortunately, didn't sue within the statute of limitations.

tsmo1066
10-25-2012, 15:36
We have it in Kentucky, for self-defense, defense of others and defense of property. If you are sued and found to be justified, the person suing you has to pay your attorney fees and any costs, lost wages, etc.

Good law.

In Texas, in self defense cases if your actions are are found to be justifiable in criminal court you are immune to any civil lawsuit over the issue.

John Rambo
10-25-2012, 15:38

Not in my state!

eb07
10-25-2012, 15:41

Remember the burglary suspect who fell through a window while breaking into a home in another state (NY?) and successfully sued the home owner?

These sorts of civil lawsuits stopped being surprising many years ago ... in quite a number of states.

It won't happen in my state. Or other free states such as Texas who not only respect a homeowners right to protect and defend themselves, but grant them immunity from civil suits if they are found to have lawfully done so.

California only cares to squeeze their citizens of taxes and freedoms. They could care less if you can defend yourself or not.

ChuteTheMall
10-25-2012, 15:51
Then he got one of the five handguns stashed in his bathroom,

Well, I guess it's possible that the 90 year old man actually had five handguns stashed in his bathroom, but I think it's far more likely that the media is wrong.

:fred:

Lockback
10-25-2012, 16:16

Bingo!

jtull7
10-25-2012, 18:16
As a lawyer for 34 years, I say that the plaintiff's attorney should face heavy sanctions for a totally ridiculous, frivolous lawsuit.

Little Joe
10-25-2012, 19:14
As a lawyer for 34 years, I say that the plaintiff's attorney should face heavy sanctions for a totally ridiculous, frivolous lawsuit.

I like your style Mr. Tull. :thumbsup:

JMag
10-25-2012, 19:18

Amen!

nursetim
10-25-2012, 19:21
As I read it, it's not the villain suing. It's the villain's father an attorney suing. I'd charge both under RICO for deriving a living from felonious activity, or something like that. I'm a little addled just now, so I'm not thinking exactly clearly. I'd definitely countersue the attorney and father and take the attorney for all he can.

Miloe
10-25-2012, 20:08
Just need to implement a system where if the suit is determined to be frivolous, the lawyer that filed it, gets disbarred.

Bren
10-25-2012, 20:16
Good law.

In Texas, in self defense cases if your actions are are found to be justifiable in criminal court you are immune to any civil lawsuit over the issue.

Same here, but the immunity doesn't actually prevent filing the suit, so we have a penalty if they do.

Ruggles
10-25-2012, 20:38
Good law.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vtupld.jpg

:supergrin:

TK-421
10-25-2012, 20:57

That's definitely one of the things I love about Texas.

Ruggles
10-25-2012, 21:02
That's definitely one of the things I love about Texas.

Woohoo Texas love fest :devildance:

Pat Green-Songs About Texas - YouTube

Pwhfirefighter
10-25-2012, 21:15
It won't happen in my state. Or other free states such as Texas who not only respect a homeowners right to protect and defend themselves, but grant them immunity from civil suits if they are found to have lawfully done so.

Same in Mississippi if I understand correctly.

shotgunred
10-25-2012, 21:27
Doesn't surprise me at all.

TK-421
10-25-2012, 21:32
I honestly think I'd refuse to live in any state who allowed lawsuits like this to even be thought about, let alone filed. And I'd probably try and avoid in setting foot in any state where the burglar would have a chance of winning.

droidfire
10-26-2012, 07:03
I should find a lawyer to sue the idiot for stealing 5 minutes of my life i'll never get back. I always heard you could sue anyone for anything, so might as well deal myself a hand in the game of frivolity. Think about all the suits this could open up - how many idiots are on youtube?

Dragoon189
10-26-2012, 07:53
should have shot a little higher

frizz
10-26-2012, 08:05
The defense lawyer says, "it was a drug deal gone bad" ??

He's accusing the 90 year old man of being a drug dealer?

That lawyer needs to be disbarred, unless there's something might unusual going on.

To you think drug distribution is limited to people under 65?

Fox
10-26-2012, 08:22

Only in states where the liberal Democrats have a large majority.

Ruggles
10-26-2012, 17:40
To you think drug distribution is limited to people under 65?

Under 85, most likely....:tongueout:

Honestly I gotta think that the 90 year old man was not dealing dime bags.

MB-G26
10-26-2012, 18:18

Yeah, agreed....... but have you EVER seen anyone pursue a Rule 11 dismissal w/request for sanctions?

jtull7
10-26-2012, 20:45
MB-G26, yes I have. Many times.

TK-421
10-26-2012, 21:02
MB-G26, yes I have. Many times.

What are you doing in New Mexico? Get your ass to Texas, I need a smart lawyer on call, in case **** goes down. :rofl: