9mm for the wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm for the wife

RustyL
10-25-2012, 17:05
I think she can handle this gun, I don't want her to have a glock. I know she is going to purse carry and will not put it in a compartment on its own. I want her to have something with a manual safety, I'm scared a lipstick, pencil, or whatever will get inside the guard. I said all that to ask, what would be a good gun for her in 9mm?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ragnar
10-25-2012, 17:07
I would say to reconsider the carry plan first. Any gun rolling around loose in a purse with the possibility of getting a lipstick, keys, or anything else in the trigger guard is a bad plan.

Osborne
10-25-2012, 17:07
Ruger LC9

Carrys
10-25-2012, 17:10
If that is what she actually wants......her mind ya, not you....that's what she should go with IMO. If she waants/feels a wheel gun would be better for her as well......Taurus makes some nice snubbie 9mm's, again IMO.

:wavey:

Gregg702
10-25-2012, 17:13
I would say to reconsider the carry plan first. Any gun rolling around loose in a purse with the possibility of getting a lipstick, keys, or anything else in the trigger guard is a bad plan.

Yup, this whole thing sounds poorly planned. She needs a holster of some kind, and she should really pick her own gun, one she is comfortable shooting and carrying.

windpoint
10-25-2012, 17:14
If I or a member of my family were to be shot due to such irresponsible behavior I would sue you for everything you now or ever will own. How can you even think this is an acceptable idea?

Mrs.Cicero
10-25-2012, 17:14
HK USP compact. But purse carry without it being in its own compartment is asinine. Have her try drawing from her purse like that. While you walk up to her from across the room and slap some sense into her before she can even find the right end of the gun.

I purse carry, too - but the gun gets it's own compartment. I HATE carrying that way because it adds a good two seconds to my draw time, and that's with practice. I'm glad winter is nearly here and I can go back to carrying on my hip.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 17:22
Windpoint, get a grip brah. This is why I'm asking a question(s). My wife is a girlie girl, I don't she her carrying any other way. Poorly planned? Possibly yes, I want to surprise her with a gift. however, i do believe yall are right, it is her that is going to have to carry the damn thing. I will let her decide....:cheers:

VC-Racing
10-25-2012, 17:23
I broke my wife from purse carry. I had a friend walk up , snatch it and stand there with it in his hand. Lesson learned. She now carries it IWB or pocket carry. Purse carry will be a disadvantage for her. Her choice of weapon was a S&W 640 . Like a point and shoot camera , if the 1st don't go bang , keep pulling the trigger .

Foxterriermom
10-25-2012, 17:31
I would suggest you let your wife choose her own gun and not pick one out for her. I have 2 Glocks and love them both. The G26 is my concealed carry in cooler months when I have heavier clothes on that hide it better.

boomhower
Windpoint, get a grip brah. This is why I'm asking a question(s). My wife is a girlie girl, I don't she her carrying any other way. Poorly planned? Possibly yes, I want to surprise her with a gift. however, i do believe yall are right, it is her that is going to have to carry the damn thing. I will let her decide....:cheers:

He's right. What's so hard about putting the gun is a simple pocket holster that coves the trigger before putting it the purse? My wife purse carries as well. She uses a purse designed for such with a side zippered gun compartment that has built in holster that covers the trigger. Loosely carrying a gun just flipping around the inside of her purse is a prison sentence waiting to happen. She carries .40 Sig P239.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

RustyL
Yes, seconds make a lot of difference. She has enough sense to keep it in its own compartment. I also know her purse is the equivalent to a moving van. A holster and manual safety was kinda what I was thinking, but like others have suggested, she has to carry the darn thing, I myself like IWB Crossbreed.

People don't panic like windpoint, this is why I'm asking questions

HK USP compact. But purse carry without it being in its own compartment is asinine. Have her try drawing from her purse like that. While you walk up to her from across the room and slap some sense into her before she can even find the right end of the gun.

I purse carry, too - but the gun gets it's own compartment. I HATE carrying that way because it adds a good two seconds to my draw time, and that's with practice. I'm glad winter is nearly here and I can go back to carrying on my hip.

ksmedman
10-25-2012, 17:34
I made the mistake of trying to "help" my wife with her choice of pistol, too.
I though a good snubbie made a lot of sense. Easy manual of arms, reliable, 'point and pull' if you will.
Well... she hated it. Recoil was too sharp for her. Now she carries a Kahr CW9. Loves it, and shoots it pretty darn well.

As for manner of carry, your wife needs to understand that a good holster is a must, where ever she puts it. Find the gun she will carry and actually use, and then work on how she wants to carry it.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 17:35
A lesson learned, who knows maybe she will IWB

I broke my wife from purse carry. I had a friend walk up , snatch it and stand there with it in his hand. Lesson learned. She now carries it IWB or pocket carry. Purse carry will be a disadvantage for her. Her choice of weapon was a S&W 640 . Like a point and shoot camera , if the 1st don't go bang , keep pulling the trigger .

fnfalman
10-25-2012, 17:37
First of all, does the lady even know how to shoot? If not then consider get her some training first. Preferrably professional training starting from basic marksmanship and graduate to defensive/combative marksmanship. Once she knows how to handle a gun in both range situation and defensive situation, I'm sure that she'd know what kind of gun she wants to have.

That's the smart way of doing thing. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 17:40
I think we have a consensus here, yeah I did the last two times on her new vehicles, I learned my lesso and let her pick out the one she wanted, shoulda figured handguns would be the same.:whistling:

I made the mistake of trying to "help" my wife with her choice of pistol, too.
I though a good snubbie made a lot of sense. Easy manual of arms, reliable, 'point and pull' if you will.
Well... she hated it. Recoil was too sharp for her. Now she carries a Kahr CW9. Loves it, and shoots it pretty darn well.

As for manner of carry, your wife needs to understand that a good holster is a must, where ever she puts it. Find the gun she will carry and actually use, and then work on how she wants to carry it.

windpoint
10-25-2012, 17:47

Get a grip??? I spent ten years on a rescue squad and ten years in a hospital seeing the result of stupid ideas. Carrying a gun is the most responsible thing you can do. A gun has one purpose, to KILL! No, I won't "get a grip".

devildog2067
10-25-2012, 17:47
People don't panic like windpoint

It's not panic.

Carrying a firearm loose in a bag with other items is a recipe for disaster. It's as irresponsible as taking a loaded weapon and spinning it on your finger.

A gun belongs:

In your hand
In the safe
In a holster that covers the trigger

fnfalman
10-25-2012, 17:50
It's not panic.

Carrying a firearm loose in a bag with other items is a recipe for disaster. It's as irresponsible as taking a loaded weapon and spinning it on your finger.

A gun belongs:

In your hand
In the safe
In a holster that covers the trigger

That's a simplistic view. Which holster and where? IWB, OWB, SOB, ankle?

Why dismiss purse carry? It's just another means of transport. Maybe it doesn't fit all the time, but what if she were to go to an evening ball? Where is she going to pack a holster if she were to wear a strapless evening gown slit to the thigh?

A nice slim .380 in the clutch is a whole lot better than a Mitch Rosen IWB sitting at home.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 17:50
Yeah, she can shoot, my daughter can as well. Though neither of them have CC permit, I do. And training is what I have in mind for all of us in 3 or 4 months. It will cost about 1k for all of us for training and have money already set aside for it, I had to get it out before she laid hands on it to spend on Christmas.....:rofl:

First of all, does the lady even know how to shoot? If not then consider get her some training first. Preferrably professional training starting from basic marksmanship and graduate to defensive/combative marksmanship. Once she knows how to handle a gun in both range situation and defensive situation, I'm sure that she'd know what kind of gun she wants to have.

That's the smart way of doing thing. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

devildog2067
10-25-2012, 17:52
That's a simplistic view. Which holster and where? IWB, OWB, SOB, ankle?

Doesn't matter, as long as it covers the trigger.

Why dismiss purse carry? It's just another means of transport.

And it's fine, as long as the firearm is in a holster (inside the purse) that covers the trigger.

You don't throw a gun in a bag with other stuff to rattle around loose.

fnfalman
10-25-2012, 17:53
Yeah, she can shoot, my daughter can as well. Though neither of them have CC permit, I do. And training is what I have in mind for all of us in 3 or 4 months. It will cost about 1k for all of us for training and have money already set aside for it, I had to get it out before she laid hands on it to spend on Christmas.....:rofl:

Is this training specifically tailored for women? If you want her and possibly your daughter to pack iron, then it's best to get them into a curriculum taught by professional female iron packers. That way they get the whole gamut on both shooting techniques and carrying techniques.

For any man to dismiss a woman's needs for her vanities is simply unrealistic.

fnfalman
10-25-2012, 17:54
Doesn't matter, as long as it covers the trigger.

Of course it matters. Books have been written and flame wars have raged over holster carrying positions and types.

And it's fine, as long as the firearm is in a holster (inside the purse) that covers the trigger.

You don't throw a gun in a bag with other stuff to rattle around loose.

Nobody claims that. There are purses with reinforced straps and built-in quick draw compartments.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 17:56
That makes darn good sense, I did not think of them being trained by a woman. Thank you sir, this is the info I desire without the attitude.

Is this training specifically tailored for women? If you want her and possibly your daughter to pack iron, then it's best to get them into a curriculum taught by professional female iron packers. That way they get the whole gamut on both shooting techniques and carrying techniques.

For any man to dismiss a woman's needs for her vanities is simply unrealistic.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 17:58
Yessir, I work with 2300 to 4160 VAC, I have seen what electricity does once you factor in human error.

However, I camer here to learn, not to get beat down.

Get a grip??? I spent ten years on a rescue squad and ten years in a hospital seeing the result of stupid ideas. Carrying a gun is the most responsible thing you can do. A gun has one purpose, to KILL! No, I won't "get a grip".

frizz
10-25-2012, 18:18
There are purses made for cc which have openings on the ends that access a central pocket area. Just one idea of many, but I discourage purse carry for reasons already listed.

Windpoint may have been harsh, but consider how harsh the real world is. One other real world thing to look at is her level of commitment to this does she have? Does she have or is she willing to work to obtain the basic skills needed to safely and effectively carry & defend herself? Will she maintain them?

Carrys' suggestion of a revolver is worth considering. As he said, it has to be what SHE wants, so do you have to rule out a Glock?

One caution about Taurus 38SP snubs (model 85 series, I think) is that the trigger pull can be horrible. Wolff makes a spring kit for this very problem.

This has been around for a while, and has good carry holster info from a woman for women. It is worth looking at even for men. (And not just because she has a body that won't stop!)

Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women - YouTube

Glock&KimberLady
10-25-2012, 18:18

No, a gun does not have "one purpose, to KILL!" Jesus Christ.

A firearm is used to stop a threat. Get your facts straight and stop being a drama queen.

And contrary to popular belief, the language used for firearms is very polarizing. Consider the following two sentences...

A lethal death machine, who has ONE.PRIMARY.PURPOSE...the murder of other human beings.

-or-

A serious tool for self-defense to be used as a means of last resort to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and those who cannot defend themselves.

So yes, don't be hysterical.

That being said, the little lady needs firearms instruction and to pick her own gun. Make it a surprise? Give her a gift certificate to a gun shop inside a suitably pink card and attached to a bunch of roses.

As far as purse carry, yes, they do make purses for that sort of thing. Other option is a purse that has multiple compartments, one dedicated to just her gun. Not all purses are a single compartment with everything jumbled together... usually they will have at least one center zip area, perfect for discreet carry, if you don't mind the purse carry thing.

wingryder
10-25-2012, 18:24
Perhaps a Glocktech MIC holster inside her purse may be a solution...

Glock&KimberLady
10-25-2012, 18:30
Perhaps a Glocktech MIC holster inside her purse may be a solution...

:goodpost:

That would work too, without necessitating a new purse...that can cost more than the gun itself...:alex:

devildog2067
10-25-2012, 18:33
Nobody claims that. There are purses with reinforced straps and built-in quick draw compartments.

Responding to the OP

I know she is going to purse carry and will not put it in a compartment on its own. I want her to have something with a manual safety, I'm scared a lipstick, pencil, or whatever will get inside the guard.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 18:42
Yeah, bad posting on me, I know the handgun needs to be holstered, I was thinking about retention of holsters in case the gun comes out of its holster somehow. And that a manual safty is best. I should have gotten off my rear and posted all this from my computer instead of my I phone. I have a tendency of not giving all information.

Windpoint I'm sorry for being an ass, I misjudged your passion, I am passionate as well...

Responding to the OP

*ASH*
10-25-2012, 18:44
There are purses made for cc which have openings on the ends that access a central pocket area. Just one idea of many, but I discourage purse carry for reasons already listed.

Windpoint may have been harsh, but consider how harsh the real world is. One other real world thing to look at is her level of commitment to this does she have? Does she have or is she willing to work to obtain the basic skills needed to safely and effectively carry & defend herself? Will she maintain them?

Carrys' suggestion of a revolver is worth considering. As he said, it has to be what SHE wants, so do you have to rule out a Glock?

One caution about Taurus 38SP snubs (model 85 series, I think) is that the trigger pull can be horrible. Wolff makes a spring kit for this very problem.

This has been around for a while, and has good carry holster info from a woman for women. It is worth looking at even for men. (And not just because she has a body that won't stop!)

Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk)

oh lawd , i watched that video and never saw a holster, maybe i need to watch it again :faint::faint:

Front Sight
10-25-2012, 18:46
The best place for her to carry a handgun is on her strong side hip. Not in a purse.

*ASH*
10-25-2012, 18:53
to bad its not the 70ties , women could carry without a holster .:whistling::rofl::rofl:

windpoint
10-25-2012, 18:56
No, a gun does not have "one purpose, to KILL!" Jesus Christ.

A firearm is used to stop a threat. Get your facts straight and stop being a drama queen.

And contrary to popular belief, the language used for firearms is very polarizing. Consider the following two sentences...

A lethal death machine, who has ONE.PRIMARY.PURPOSE...the murder of other human beings.

-or-

A serious tool for self-defense to be used as a means of last resort to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and those who cannot defend themselves.

So yes, don't be hysterical.

That being said, the little lady needs firearms instruction and to pick her own gun. Make it a surprise? Give her a gift certificate to a gun shop inside a suitably pink card and attached to a bunch of roses.

As far as purse carry, yes, they do make purses for that sort of thing. Other option is a purse that has multiple compartments, one dedicated to just her gun. Not all purses are a single compartment with everything jumbled together... usually they will have at least one center zip area, perfect for discreet carry, if you don't mind the purse carry thing.

Here's how it all boils down... You don't point the weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot, you don't shoot anything you don't intend to kill. That is how you stop a threat. If you are not willing to kill, don't carry the weapon. If that's drama, then so be it.

windpoint
10-25-2012, 18:58
Yeah, bad posting on me, I know the handgun needs to be holstered, I was thinking about retention of holsters in case the gun comes out of its holster somehow. And that a manual safty is best. I should have gotten off my rear and posted all this from my computer instead of my I phone. I have a tendency of not giving all information.

Windpoint I'm sorry for being an ass, I misjudged your passion, I am passionate as well...

I also apologize. We still friends?

Jack_Pine
10-25-2012, 19:00
Part of the op's post was what gun. I agree, no surprises. Let her shoot and handle a variety. I wanted my wife to have a 9mm auto in the worst way. She liked shooting it but was not comfortable with racking the slide. I tried to show her technique to no avail. She ended up with a wheel gun.

Point is, it's not what I wanted but she what she is comfortable with.

As for purse carry...I'll let you all work that out.

RustyL
10-25-2012, 19:05
Yessir, and you will have to forgive my not giving all information, sometimes I feel everyone knows what I'm thinking...my wife tells me this often. :embarassed:

I also apologize. We still friends?

Glock&KimberLady
10-25-2012, 19:08
Here's how it all boils down... You don't point the weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot, you don't shoot anything you don't intend to kill. That is how you stop a threat. If you are not willing to kill, don't carry the weapon. If that's drama, then so be it.

The hyperbole is what I objected to. This sounds a little more reasoned out.

Popping off with GUNS HAVE ONE PURPOSE - TO KILL! makes you sound like the standard anti-gun hysteric that we all have to deal with.

As if you didn't notice, this *is* a gun board. Most of us know what our firearms are capable of. :supergrin:

Meanie5470
10-25-2012, 19:26
I did not read all of this crap lol. Id recommend a J frame though with no hammer spur. I literally found the PERFECT gun for my girl in a in p250c 9mm. Nice long trigger pull, easy to rack, she LIKES shooting it. Ive had to send it back to sig tho twice so I havent much faith in it anymore. You want a gun thats point and click and thats it. The best safety is a heavy DA trigger. LC9 might be a great choice. If its like the LCP though its punishing to shoot. My girl cant handle the recoil of my LCP and its only a .380 but its mini as hell. Ive never shot an LC9 but im guessing its the same. Same as all these airlite guns out now. Also her forgetting to click off a safety can get her killed. Maybe figure out a way to stitch a holster to the inside of her purse?

RonS
10-25-2012, 19:44
The only gun I would carry like that would be a Smith and Wesson Lemon Squeezer, a double action only, hammerless revolver with a grip safety. And then I wouldn't trust it to not be gummed up if she needed it, only to probably not go off due to some Rube Goldberg combination of junk interacting with the gun.

The safety is more exposed and about as easy to move as the trigger, if not easier. So I have no problem imagining situations where during the course of the day the safety gets moved and then the trigger gets pulled. The two of you are the ones who have to live with the consequences if she blows someone up on the street jogging to catch a cab with a gun loose in her purse.

Well, except for their next of kin.

And their lawyers.

And your lawyers.

There is no one here who would not get told that "You're doing it wrong" by someone on the internet when it comes to carry methods, weapons or holsters, but in your case I think we have a consensus that your idea is suboptimal.

Purse carry, probably not the best but quite a few people make it work. Loose in the purse is probably irresponsible and unsafe with 90% or more of handgun designs.

They make purses with holsters built in, they make pocket holsters you could add to a purse, they make kydex trigger guard covers with lanyards so you can have a gun with a covered trigger and have the cover snap off when you access the gun.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-25-2012, 20:02
Absolutely nothing wrong with a guy buying a woman a gun. If she doesn't like it, then you just got a extra gun, plus points for thinking about her.

The Ruger LC9 is worth a look. If you want to go high class try a Springfield EMP. Consider a Beretta PX4 Storm compact.

Purse with a bult in holster is a nice gift, too.

Meanie5470
10-25-2012, 20:17
EMP has too light of a trigger IMO. Especially for someone who will probably have a shakey hand under stress. It is a sweet gun tho Id love to own one.

DaneA
10-25-2012, 20:27
Let her pick. Make it a date night to the LGS. When my wife finally started carrying I took her to the range and let her shoot a variety of guns. She picked the G26. She started carrying with a Bianchi 5 black widow holster OWB and then decided that she really liked my Crossbreed so I bought her one. She now rotates between that and using a cheap uncle mikes holster in her purse. She is comfortable with it and carries everywhere. Also she does only carry C3, but she is comfortable with it and still carries so I'm good with it to.

larry_minn
10-25-2012, 21:09
I think she can handle this gun, I don't want her to have a glock. I know she is going to purse carry and will not put it in a compartment on its own. I want her to have something with a manual safety, I'm scared a lipstick, pencil, or whatever will get inside the guard. I said all that to ask, what would be a good gun for her in 9mm?

Just from OP. I see red flags. Does she WANT to carry a firearm? Could she use it? (most women can if kids in danger) No gun (not even revolver) should be carried loose in purse.
Purse carry has many disadvantages. (am sure others posted them)
What kind of purse? Could you bolt a holster to it?(inside of course)
Guys often decide what wife/daughter "wants" Get as many guns as possible and let them shoot them. (after at least safety training) I do agree 9mm or .38 revolver is "floor" of power level. I have seen some 95lb (maybe dripping wet) gals who shoot a .45acp and one a .44mag revolver dang well. (on the .44mag better then I ever did)
If she does not want the gun. Don't push.

airmotive
10-25-2012, 22:26
Wifey has gone through three purse-carry weapons before finally setteling on a SW 38spl.
Prior to that was a Sig226 and a Colt Defender. She liked the 38 because she could fire it from within her purse without having to draw the weapon (and whatever is involved with clearing leather on a handbag. She carries a holster purse. You should probably consider the price of (at least) one purse in the cost of the weapon.

BEER
10-25-2012, 22:29
back in the late 60's before i was born my mom started dating my dad. dad was a cop and insisted she learn to use a gun and carry one at all times. mom did the purse carry thing for a year or 2 and then one night walking up to the night box at the bank somebody snatched her purse and bank bag and boogied off into the night before she knew what happened.

a couple of lessons my dad tried to teach her could have helped her avoid the entire mess if she had only listened.

1) pay attention to what's going on around you, especially if you're going into an area or situation you know for a fact invite more risks than usual.

2)purses get snatched all the time so don't carry in your purse.

3) always have a backup plan.

just something to think about.

fnfalman
10-25-2012, 23:25

I want to be that gun.

fnfalman
10-25-2012, 23:27
The hyperbole is what I objected to. This sounds a little more reasoned out.

Popping off with GUNS HAVE ONE PURPOSE - TO KILL! makes you sound like the standard anti-gun hysteric that we all have to deal with.

As if you didn't notice, this *is* a gun board. Most of us know what our firearms are capable of. :supergrin:

What do you women know about shootin' irons?

fnfalman
10-25-2012, 23:28
The best place for her to carry a handgun is on her strong side hip. Not in a purse.

And she can carry this while wearing a pencil skirt? An evening gown?

larry_minn
10-26-2012, 00:45
And she can carry this while wearing a pencil skirt? An evening gown?

` That draw could be a sight to behold....... Might not even have to shoot robber. Tie them up and then dump water on them...

fnfalman
10-26-2012, 00:51
` That draw could be a sight to behold....... Might not even have to shoot robber. Tie them up and then dump water on them...

Maybe not from a hip holster but from a 1980s vintage Galco garter holster?

Longtooths
10-26-2012, 06:22
Take her to a gunshow and let her hold every 9mm you guys can find. She will know when she picks it up which is the one for her. Some suggestions:

Sig P938
Sig P239
Kahr PM9
Kahr CM9
Colt New Agent

frizz
10-26-2012, 08:39

HA! Like you're going to hit the crooks with a blackjack. :upeyes:

You'll be drooling all over yourself like Pavlov's dogs just like they are.

:supergrin: :tongueout: :supergrin:

Not that I won't have a saliva-covered shirt right there along with you.

pizza_pablo
10-26-2012, 09:04
......Taurus makes some nice snubbie 9mm's, again IMO.

Please list the model numbers. I searched high and low before buying my LCR 38, for a 9mm snubby. I could only find a S & W that is no longer available and a Charter Arms that is a ghost. Nine to actually buy.

Glock&KimberLady
10-26-2012, 12:33
What do you women know about shootin' irons?

:tempted:

IvanVic
10-26-2012, 14:16
I would never get her a gun with a manual safety, unless she's extremely experienced. Get her a .38 revolver and have her carry it inside of a holster in her purse, a holster that provides enough retention to keep it in, but can be pulled out with one hand. Better yet, get an IWB holster and clip it to the inside pocket of her purse - this way the holster stays put and the gun comes out.

KIDRAY
10-26-2012, 15:56
Sig Sauer P938, I'm concealing one right this moment. It does have an ambi safety, I would suggest staying clear of Kahr and Kel Tec.

RustyL
10-26-2012, 16:59
I really appreciate all the responses. I'm new to handguns, though I have several, I was not dedicated to them as I am now. I have many rifles and shotguns. I'm no stranger to shooting, as far as hunting all kinds of critters.

I will spoil my surprise to my wife and take her to look,shoot handguns, yall are right, it is her choice. And yes she has expressed concerns for her CC. her sporting a thigh holster and skimpy dress like the one in the video...:supergrin:. I'm going to get her to read this thread ,she will understand the knowledge and experience you have to offer on this subject. I'm busted on the 1k I have set aside for training now....:shocked:

ithaca_deerslayer
10-26-2012, 18:08
I really appreciate all the responses. I'm new to handguns, though I have several, I was not dedicated to them as I am now. I have many rifles and shotguns. I'm no stranger to shooting, as far as hunting all kinds of critters.

I will spoil my surprise to my wife and take her to look,shoot handguns, yall are right, it is her choice. And yes she has expressed concerns for her CC. her sporting a thigh holster and skimpy dress like the one in the video...:supergrin:. I'm going to get her to read this thread ,she will understand the knowledge and experience you have to offer on this subject. I'm busted on the 1k I have set aside for training now....:shocked:

I don't know what kind of training you are getting. It is probably better than what I offer, but I'll describe mine anyway :)

My wife and I are both NRA pistol instructors. There's a basic pistol course offered, plus self-defense inside the home, and then self-defense outside the home. But aside from that, she organizes women on target events.

Women show up to our club, with a NYS pistol permit, and then get instruction based upon their current level. They don't even have to bring a gun, nor own a gun, because we have plenty :) Of course if they want instruction with their own gun, that is fine too. Either way, the cost is like $15.

Not saying any of this is serious training. Instead, they are typically newbies. Each woman is assigned an instructor.

If I get a newbie, I teach her how to shoot on .22 pistol and .22 revolver, and then go up to a large .38 revolver with low recoil, and to a Beretta 92 and Glock 17 for 9mm. Then see where we want to go from there. If she wants to carry, then we work our way down in size to a Glock 26, Kahr PM9, snubbie lightweight .38 revolver, and a Ruger LCP .380. Other guns might be used instead depending on what she wants, and how it goes.

My goal for a newbie (ranging from never shot to only shoots occassionally) at these events is to let her try a bunch of different guns, show her she can do it, and let her go away from there with a much better idea of what to look for at a gun store.

If a woman is more advanced, then we work on more advanced shooting.

So, I really can't see you or your wife spending a lot on a gun, or training, at this point, not just yet. There are some basic lessons you could take, and events you could attend, for cheap. Where you will get to try a lot of guns, learn safety, and learn the basics of shooting. After that, go out and buy a gun of choice, and maybe even take a private lesson from someone like me for $30 just to basically cover a range fee, gas, and use of guns or ammo.

I'm no shooting god, but there's a lot of distance between a newbie and my skill level, and there's a lot I can teach a newbie. All offered basically non-profit through my club, NRA women on target events, an NRA basic pistol or self-defense certification, or informal lessons.

Then after taking advantage of the resources like that out there, available in every state, and probably near you, then eventually go pay the big bucks for training from some military or police type consultant instructor offering courses to civilians.

Heck, even my wife, after learning from me, and after competing at local clubs, and after getting NRA certified to instruct basic pistol, and after taking an NRA self-defense outside the home course, and after getting NRA certified to teach that course, and after doing IDPA for a year, only then did she pay real money to a well known and respected for profit trainer in the northeast and took his course. I don't think she would have gotten much out of his course if she hadn't already learned a basic level of pistol shooting and self-defense. But being prepared, she loved the course! My wife will teach women like your wife what she knows for nothing more than a club/range/ammo fee :)

Some may say to skip NRA instructors like me and my wife, and go straight to the for profit big name trainers. That's fine too. Just wanted to point out that there's probably a lot of local inexpensive resources available if you look for it, people like us who teach and help people get pistol permits, just to help the pro-gun movement. And then later also keep going on to more advanced training.

RustyL
10-26-2012, 18:39
This is a great dayum post, TY sir. The money I have set aside is for enhanced training, only because I know people who know people who are for profit. My wife and daughter's motor skills are not at my level. I'm no shooting god either but, I have a lot of shooting experience. As a NRA member, I will look up to see what help we all get get.

However, my being an experienced shooter does not equate my being ready for self defense. I have only been carrying a month or so and am becoming very analytical.

I don't know what kind of training you are getting. It is probably better than what I offer, but I'll describe mine anyway :)

My wife and I are both NRA pistol instructors. There's a basic pistol course offered, plus self-defense inside the home, and then self-defense outside tge home. But aside from that, she organizes women on target events.

Women show up to our club, with a NYS pistol permit, and then get instruction based upon their current level. They don't even have to bring a gun, nor own a gun, because we have plenty :) Of course if they want instruction with their own gun, that is fine too. Either way, the cost is like $15.

Not saying any of this is serious training. Instead, they are typically newbies. Each woman is assigned an instructor.

If I get a newbie, I teach her how to shoot on .22 pistol and .22 revolver, and then go up to a large .38 revolver with low recoil, and to a Beretta 92 and Glock 17 for 9mm. Then see where we want to go from there. If she wants to carry, then we work our way down in size to a Glock 26, Kahr PM9, snubbie lightweight .38 revolver, and a Ruger LCP .380. Other guns might be used instead depending on what she wants, and how it goes.

My goal for a newbie (ranging from never shot to only shoots occassionally) at these events is to let her try a bunch of different guns, show her she can do it, and let go away from there with a much better idea of what to look for at a gun store.

If a woman is more advanced, then we work on more advanced shooting.

So, I really can't see you or your wife spending a lot on a gun, or training, at this point, not just yet. There are some basic lessons you could take, and events you could attend, for cheap. Where you will get to try a lot of guns, learn safety, snd learn the basics of shooting. After that, go out and buy a gun of choice, and maybe even take a private lesson from someone like me for $30 just to basically cover a range fee, gas, and use of guns or ammo.

I'm no shooting god, but there's a lot of distance between a newbie and my skill level, and there's a lot I can teach a newbie. All offered basically non-profit through my club, NRA women on target events, an NRA basic pistol or self-defense certification, or informal lessons.

Then after taking advantage of the resources like that out there, available in every state, and probably near you, then eventually go pay the big bucks for training from some military or police type consultant instructor offering courses to civilians.

Heck, even my wife, after learning from me, and after competing at local clubs, and after getting NRA certified to instruct basic pistol, and after taking an NRA self-defense outside the home course, and after getting NRA certified to teach that course, and after doing IDPA for a year, only then did she pay real money to a well known and respected for profit trainer in the northeast and took his course. I don't think she would have gotten much out of his course if she hadn't already learned a basic level of pistol shooting and self-defense. But being prepared, she loved the course! My wife will teach women like your wife what she knows for nothing more than a club/range/ammo fee :)

Some may say to skip NRA instructors like me and my wife, and go straight to the for profit big name trainers. That's fine too. Just wanted to point out that there's probably a lot of local inexpensive resources available if you look for it, people like us who teach and help people get pistol permits, just to help the pro-gun movement. And then later also keep going on to more advanced training.

fnfalman
10-26-2012, 18:48
RustyL,

Don't feel like your wife has to be like Annie Oakley right away. Shooting skills take a lot of time and effort to master, especially defensive/combat type of shooting. Have her escalate her training gradually. I've heard plenty of people who claimed that they "know how to shoot" and when it comes to the blasting, they don't even know the very basics.

Basic Marksmanship (sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze, follow through) is basic marksmanship. It applies to everybody the same. The instruction technique to imbue this knowledge is where you'd have to be very careful of. Women learn differently from men, especially in male dominated sports or activities. Have some Delta Force Commando who could kill with his pinkie teach them may not be a good idea.

After she gets good with the basics such as holding good groups at probably up to 15-yds, then start to think about getting her some defensive/combat marksmanship training. These types of trainings, good ones, are not cheap. Gunsite has classes specifically for women and taught by women. My brother's ex-wife went to one of these and came back with a marked increase in her shooting skills and comfort. I fancy myself a pretty good basic marksmanship coach and I would like to think that I did a decent job with my ex-SIL, but when she came back from the Gunsite all women course, it was night and day. She went back again for the co-ed advanced course and she gotten even better. Quick.

Don't just send your ladies; wife and daughter, to any training. Be selective in the shooting schools.

BAILIFF
10-26-2012, 19:08

When you choose to carry a firearm, your intentions may very well be put under investigation or on trial as a reason or motive for your actions...

I would NEVER intend to kill someone if I had no choice but to use my weapon to defend myself or another from deadly physical force. My ONLY intention would be to stop that threat. If the assailant happens to expire in the process, it is a unfortunate result of their actions...

Greetings from NYC...:wavey:

Teej
10-26-2012, 22:27
Talk to friends that will let her shoot various guns that they own. Some ranges do rent various pistols to shoot is another option. Then take her some place you trust that has a qualified sales person. Briefly inform the sales person some back ground info then leave your wife with him or her and walk away, look around, shop, something. But get out of the mix for a while. Come back when she calls you with her narrowed down search of what SHE has picked out.

The BIGGEST mistake you can make is to come home one day with the "honey I bought you a pistol" gun.... [being a model she has never seen, shot or even held]

Upstate Glocker
10-27-2012, 04:54
There is nothing wrong with a woman carrying in a purse just like there is nothing wrong with a man carrying in a backpack, although I could argue the time necessary to fish around for it during an emergency is a problem. The real issue is whether to keep it in a holster which protects the trigger guard. The answer is YES. Huge potential liability and safety issues if you don't.

As for choice of firearm, Kahr now makes the PM9 with a manual safety. Its a lightweight 9mm with a relatively small grip which many women find comfortable.

SGT278ACR
10-27-2012, 06:58
IMHO, I think a light .38 snubby would be good for a woman to purse carry. With it uncocked it would be very hard for that trigger to be depressed even if a pencil, lipstick, etc would momentarily get in the way.

bunk22
10-27-2012, 08:23
My wife shot several guns till she decided on her favorite, the Beretta PX4 subcompact in 9mm.

Shark1007
10-27-2012, 13:08
After some deliberation and shooting several weapons, my wife, 5'2", purse carries a CM9 Kahr in a "sneaky pete" holster/case inside the purse. She gets no looks at all if she has to fish around in the purse because it just looks like a little leather case and has a magnetic "flap" that completely encloses the pistol.

larry_minn
10-27-2012, 14:45
IMHO, I think a light .38 snubby would be good for a woman to purse carry. With it uncocked it would be very hard for that trigger to be depressed even if a pencil, lipstick, etc would momentarily get in the way.

I would have to disagree (strongly) with this idea. In a empty jacket pocket? Maybe. IN a purse? with all the stuff? NOT a good idea.