Rainier Arms RUC vs. LaRue PredatAR 5.56 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Arms RUC vs. LaRue PredatAR 5.56

seattlesetters
10-25-2012, 17:36
I have the cash and am looking at buying one of these two rifles in the next week. The rifle will be for home defense, range work, plinking and maybe a few (non-competitive) practical rifle games. It will be my primary SHTF weapon, as well.

I live 30 minutes from Rainier Arms, and am leaning that way due to the fact that if there are ever any problems, warranty work will be a snap. I also really like the RUC rifle (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2899) ... it is light, handles like a dream and looks pretty bad-ass.

I also like the way the PredatAR (http://www.laruetactical.com/16%E2%80%9D-larue-tactical-predatar-556) handles and feels. It doesn't feel quite as light as the RUC but very close, and I think I like it better for shooting prone or off a rest. It also looks pretty sexy....and chicks dig it.

The hand guard/rail system on the RUC is a bit more comfortable in my hand, but I tend to think the LaRue may be better with heat. It's not like I'm going to be doing lots of mag dumps back-to-back or anything, but it is something to consider.

I don't like the stock the LaRue comes with, but I already have a SOPMOD that will go on either rifle. I will get credit for the included VLTOR IMOD stock on the Rainier, though, if I supply my own stock. Not so the LaRue. The LaRue will also need after-market BUIS, which the Rainier already has.

I give an edge to the LaRue's SSA trigger, but the ALG ACT on the Rainier is surprisingly crisp.

I am not worried about resale value all that much, because either of these are precisely what I want in a rifle and I expect to keep it.

Here's the question: Before tax (around here, that's 9%), I can walk out the door with the Rainier Arms RUC for around $1,450 and it will have everything I'd ever want on a rifle already installed. I can walk out the door with the LaRue for $1,895 (after adding BUIS). Is the LaRue worth the extra $450?

Note: Either rifle will get an Aimpoint H-1 2MOA in a LaRue 660 QD mount. I already have both.

Cole125
10-25-2012, 17:59
You are not going wrong with either of those rifles. Just keep in mind the LaRue PredatAR is more of a long range type rifle, SPR, DMR, what have you. If your going to be doing mostly carbine type closer range shooting, the LaRue is a overkill.

I say save a little money and get the Rainier Arms. Great company, they have never done me wrong.

seattlesetters
10-25-2012, 18:02
You are not going wrong with either of those rifles. Just keep in mind the LaRue PredatAR is more of a long range type rifle, SPR, DMR, what have you. If your going to be doing mostly carbine type closer range shooting, the LaRue is a overkill.

I say save a little money and get the Rainier Arms. Great company, they have never done me wrong.
To be honest, if I had twice the amount of money that I currently have in the rathole, I'd get the RUC in 14.5" and the PredatAR in 18" and just be done with it. :cool::cool:

Morris
10-25-2012, 18:30
I will tell you that I am a clear fan of RA. I've bought a ton of things there, including custom rifles. Owned Larue as well.

That being said, even they will tell you that Larue is hard to beat. But if you have a problem with a rifle, who is easier to drive to in order to fix something or modify something? Who will get you the accessories you want in shop? Sometimes, having the resource close by tips to that side. Now, if I were near Larue country, I'd be tipping that way, easily.

I've been eyeballing a RUC. However, I'd change out their FH/comp for my favored Battle Comp and likely do a Giselle SSA (what I already have in my custom RA).

Big Bird
10-25-2012, 18:49
I prefer the Larue forend over the RUC for several reasons. For that reason and that reason alone I'd go with Larue.

seattlesetters
10-25-2012, 19:06
I prefer the Larue forend over the RUC for several reasons. For that reason and that reason alone I'd go with Larue.
What are those reasons? I actually preferred the Rainier forend for comfort and "feel" in my hand.

seattlesetters
10-25-2012, 19:27
I will tell you that I am a clear fan of RA. I've bought a ton of things there, including custom rifles. Owned Larue as well.

That being said, even they will tell you that Larue is hard to beat. But if you have a problem with a rifle, who is easier to drive to in order to fix something or modify something? Who will get you the accessories you want in shop? Sometimes, having the resource close by tips to that side. Now, if I were near Larue country, I'd be tipping that way, easily.

I've been eyeballing a RUC. However, I'd change out their FH/comp for my favored Battle Comp and likely do a Giselle SSA (what I already have in my custom RA).
The shop that has the LaRue is only a couple of miles away. I don't think they'd support a rifle they sold me quite as well as Rainier would support a rifle they built for me, but all the accessories and extras and stuff would actually be easier to get from the "local" shop rather than driving 30 minutes south to Rainier.

Also, I'd probably end up gong with my favorite trigger, which is the Geissele SD-C, if I go with the RUC. I don't have to, and I can always add it later, but I have enough money to do it now so the temptation would be strong.

Big Bird
10-26-2012, 06:24
How much support do you think a decent AR requires?

If there's a problem that can't be fixed without shipping you a small part then its really not that big of a deal to put it in the mail. Its not a handgun so it doesn;t have to go next day air. Good friend of mine has a Larue .308 that had some issues they sent him a call tag and he sent it in for the work and it was back in 10 days.

I'd buy the gun I want and not give a second thought to how it can be fixed if it breaks. You are buying top shelf stuff for crying out loud.

The one downside to the Larue is the OBR rail accessories are ridiculously expensive... $40 for a QD sling attachement and $50 for a small 1913 rail section is just freakin' stupid.

Boxerglocker
10-29-2012, 21:39
I own a RUC 14.5 one of the first 100 made with a SSA Trigger, it's a great rifle. I use it for multi-gun competitions. I've lusted over a Larue in .308 for a long time but decided that for what I wanted to do with it the RUC was the better choice.
I'm going to have Rainier build me another upper with a 18 inch SPR barrel, no fwd assist and middy gas system to match the RUC lower. I'll run their mini comp on that one. This will strictly be a game gun for matches with 300-400 yard steel.

seattlesetters
10-29-2012, 22:42
Thanks for all the replies.

Believe it or not, I ended up buying a new BCM Mod 2 16" middy. I used the savings on extra PMags, accessories and ammo. It may not be quite as sexy as the Rainier and certainly not as pretty as the LaRue, but it is a solid AR that should last me a lifetime.

Cole125
10-29-2012, 23:52
Congrats! :cool: Cannot go wrong with a BCM!

RoughTexturedTrav
10-30-2012, 21:40
I nearly bought a predatAR today until the good fellows at larue told me 1580 with a military discount and a 4 month wait. I was thrilled with the price but i am not that patient. Now i'm checking out the RUC or a DDv7 since i can be shooting it next week..