Ever had your parking spot stolen? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever had your parking spot stolen?

mr00jimbo
10-25-2012, 19:22
The other day I was driving to work, pulled into the parking lot. Ah, a good spot. I throw my reverse lights on and back into the spot. A woman in a Honda swipes it. I was like "WHAT THE ****!" but a better spot opened up next to it.

I was ready to get out, call her all the nastiest names in the book, let the air out of her tires, etc.
But...

1. I work there, and don't want to bring that kind of drama to my place of earning.
2. It was raining. Even though I am 100% sure I was there FIRST, perhaps she was daydreaming and didn't see me.
3. Perhaps she thought I was going for the spot right next to her, as the man was pulling out of that spot too.

I would never resort to violence in that situation. But it's an infuriating thing, because somebody is getting away with something so morally wrong. Only once before has that happened, downtown three Arab looking guys in a Mitsubishi stole a spot from me as I was backing into it.
But what can you really do? Anything but *****ing at them could have serious legal ramifications.

I should start carrying a stack of these bumper stickers to affix to their car
http://vidafine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/i-park-like-an-idiot.jpg

davew83
10-25-2012, 19:25
I drive a truck with a large hitch sticking out the back it would be horrible if someone suddenly pulled their car behind my truck as it was backing into a parking space....

USMCsilver
10-25-2012, 19:29
Ever had your parking spot stolen? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449556)

Nope. I've got a circle drive. It has trees in the middle of the circle.

It'd be damned tricky for someone to steal it without removing the trees, too. :rofl::tongueout::wavey:

Bruce M
10-25-2012, 19:35
Nope. I've got a circle drive. It has trees in the middle of the circle.

It'd be damned tricky for someone to steal it without removing the trees, too. :rofl::tongueout::wavey:
:rofl::rofl:

pugman
10-25-2012, 19:42
You have forgotten to include the most important detail...

Was she hot?

Patchman
10-25-2012, 19:47
Your reaction and instincts are right. It is only a parking spot.

*ASH*
10-25-2012, 19:50

Was she hot?

jack up teef ?

pipedreams
10-25-2012, 20:18
I drive a truck with a large hitch sticking out the back it would be horrible if someone suddenly pulled their car behind my truck as it was backing into a parking space....
I second that.................

Bren
10-25-2012, 20:30
If my spot gets stolen, somebody is getting towed. It would suck to have to park with the masses, in what we call "the pit." :rofl:

RenoF250
10-25-2012, 20:37
If it was a female there is a 99% chance she was clueless. :tongueout::rofl: :shocked:

hamster
10-25-2012, 20:41
I am 100% sure I was there FIRST

If you'd have been first, you'd be the one in the spot. :)

Hef
10-25-2012, 21:14
Some moron tried that once with me. I slammed the back of my truck into his left rear door. It totaled his car, but only cost me a few hours of body work and some primer. No ticket as we were on private property. He sure was mad. I laughed like hell about it.

shotgunred
10-25-2012, 21:28
Almost every time I go to Costco.

BigAlE
10-25-2012, 21:31
http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/02_19/parkingspot.jpg

larry_minn
10-25-2012, 21:35
Some moron tried that once with me. I slammed the back of my truck into his left rear door. It totaled his car, but only cost me a few hours of body work and some primer. No ticket as we were on private property. He sure was mad. I laughed like hell about it.
I sure hope you are joking.
A post like this can show that folks on gun forums ..........

gjk5
10-25-2012, 21:39
you should have pointed out your name plate on the spot......oh, wait.....

Harper
10-25-2012, 21:48
Ever see someone try to claim a spot long distance? I was looking for a spot at school, me and another car were heading toward each other on a two way street and down a one way street to my right a car starts backing out. It's the first spot down this street but you still have to turn down the street. The guy in the oncoming car flips on his turn signal and I pull into the spot. I'm thinking "surely this guy isn't trying to claim a spot on a street he's not even on yet nor has the right of way to". Sure enough the guy waits till I get out of the car to say "You took my spot!". I always respect claiming dibs but I don't think you can claim dibs from behind me. To let him have the spot I would of had to stopped and let him turn left in front of me (oncoming traffic) and turn onto another street.

glock_19guy1983
10-25-2012, 21:52

There are idiots in every group. Im sure there are people on DU that are guilty of similar stupidity, but then again a smart or prius cant do much damage.

686Owner
10-25-2012, 21:53
I've always wanted to do that when people drive past a spot and then back into it. Like I'm supposed to be a mind reader and know that even though they drove past a spot, that they were going to back into it.

Harper
10-25-2012, 21:56
The other day I was driving to work, pulled into the parking lot. Ah, a good spot. I throw my reverse lights on and back into the spot. A woman in a Honda swipes it. I was like "WHAT THE ****!" but a better spot opened up next to it.

Were you parallel parking? If so I totally agree with you and Costanza. However, I do get slightly annoyed with drivers who feel the need to back in every time they park. It's faster to back out than in and subsequently takes up less of my time waiting on people trying to back in.

At school I often see girls trying to parallel park only to give up after a couple minutes. I'm not saying guys never do that, I've just never seen it.

sputnik767
10-25-2012, 22:04
I've always wanted to do that when people drive past a spot and then back into it. Like I'm supposed to be a mind reader and know that even though they drove past a spot, that they were going to back into it.

I was going to say something similar. I fail to see the reasoning behind people backing into a parking space. Granted there are some street parking spots around here that dictate back-in 90 degrees or 60 degrees parking only, but most of the country is not like that. If you drive past a spot, you leave other people the opportunity to take that spot. You can be mad at her all you want, and perhaps you are justifiably mad, but you yourself allowed her the opportunity. In a typical parking lot, it is much easier to back out of a spot than to back into one anyway. It was certainly not nice of her to do it, but I have a feeling she didn't really care. Fact is, most people don't care.

Adjuster
10-25-2012, 22:16
I just want to make sure I understand clearly. You drove past a spot and then the person behind you pulled into the spot. How is that stealing it?

/

azron
10-25-2012, 23:27
Really, you are one of those annoying folks that always has to back into a spot when pulling in the normal way works perfectly well.

I hate having to wait for the inconsiderate jerk that thinks his car is so special he has to back into a spot. Get a clue it doesn't save you any time cause you dont have to back out when you leave :tongueout:

jp3975
10-25-2012, 23:27
I once had a guy park BEHIND me at walmart, blocking me in. I was in a normal parking spot and he was parked behind me...blocking me and others from driving down the lane.

I wanted to destroy that car...but i worked there at the time.

I managed to edge my way out. If i wasnt in a hurry to leave i wouldve had him towed.

czsmithGT
10-25-2012, 23:37
I just want to make sure I understand clearly. You drove past a spot and then the person behind you pulled into the spot. How is that stealing it?

/

Hard to understand, isn't it?

costanza187
10-26-2012, 05:15
Yes I have had it happen to me a couple times... it upsets the order of the universe around here, and I am still not sure what to do.

Once... I just parked somewhere else, oh Lord that was a mistake, this gal came in cussing at me because I "stole" her parking spot :upeyes: It set off a chain reaction. Somehow this was all MY fault because somebody was in my parking spot.

Next time.. (remembering the fallout of the first time) I pulled as much of my SUV into the parking spot WITH the offending vehicle, walked off and left it. Boss got REALLY mad about that. :embarassed:

It shouldn't be a big deal, but it's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Next time somebody gets my parking place, I guess I am just going to go home and call in. :dunno:

glock_19guy1983
10-26-2012, 05:23
Really, you are one of those annoying folks that always has to back into a spot when pulling in the normal way works perfectly well.

I hate having to wait for the inconsiderate jerk that thinks his car is so special he has to back into a spot. Get a clue it doesn't save you any time cause you dont have to back out when you leave :tongueout:

could be that like me, he drives a company vehicle and part of their driving policy states that he has to back into parking spots whenever possible.:dunno:

kensb2
10-26-2012, 05:30
I was at the mall last weekend, and it was pretty full. The truck in front of me passes the row to our left, and noticed that that someone was pulling out. I was at the point where you would make a roughly 90 degree turn to go down that row. The person in front of me tries to back up, and turn down the row while said car is backing out to leave. While he/she was trying to execute their 5 point turn, I went and parked in the spot. Does that make me the jerk? Or the person that is going to try to back up in a truck, do a 5 point turn to get to a parking spot in a row they've already passed? I guess you all know how I felt about it.

byf43
10-26-2012, 05:40
Many years ago, when I was working in upper Northwest DC, there was not a whole lot of available parking on the street, and NO parking lots.

At the time, I drove a '78 Chevy Blazer K5. (And was young, and dumb, and full of. . . . . well. . . you know the rest of the rhyme.)
As I was backing into a parking space (parallel parking), some sphincter muscle pulled into the space (going forward).

Now, I had been waiting patiently, for the person that WAS parked in that space, to leave, then moved forward and started backing in, when this guy took the spot.
(Note: At that point in time, it was illegal to pull into a parallel parking space, going forward. The law stated "back" into a space!)

I casually got out of my truck, walked back and told the guy that he took my parking spot.
He laughed and told me to "go have intercourse with myself".

I politely told him that IF he didn't move his vehicle, I was going to park that Blazer on top of his car.
He laughed.

I then got back in the Blazer, and put it in Reverse, and started backing up.

I've never seen anyone back out of a parallel space sooooooo fast!!!!!

Nowadays. . . . I'm getting too old to argue about a parking space.
I'll park where I can, and go about my business.

paul45
10-26-2012, 06:04
I throw my reverse lights on and back into the spot.
http://vidafine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/i-park-like-an-idiot.jpg

I feel annoyance when I must wait for those, such as yourself, who makes everyone wait for them wihile they back into a spot.

Sorry, I believe the woman in the Honda got there first.

Perhaps you should wear that bumper sticker...:whistling:

droidfire
10-26-2012, 06:25
The general agreement is that one-tenth of something isn't really a claim.

I was totally expecting a city issued handicapped parking spot, an employee reserved space, or a numbered space on a private lot you pay for.

Not someone whining about being too slow on the draw.

Averageman
10-26-2012, 06:58
At this point in my Life I park as far from others as I can, I mean waaaaaaay out in the lot.
Some folks dont have a thing to lose and park like idiots, so I dont mind the walk.

TalkToTheGlock
10-26-2012, 07:15

This thread inspired me to post the picture that I snapped while going into the grocery store the one day.

Hef
10-26-2012, 08:56

I was backing into a parking space. An idiot tried to race me. I didn't see him, and we collided. Cop couldn't do anything but write a report, and insurance company couldn't find me at fault based on that report.

Given that my truck had 230,000 miles, the sheet metal was banged up from four wheeling and some lights were busted out, I couldn't help but laugh at small a problem it was for me an how huge a problem it was for him.

Harper
10-26-2012, 10:47
At this point in my Life I park as far from others as I can, I mean waaaaaaay out in the lot.
Some folks dont have a thing to lose and park like idiots, so I dont mind the walk.

Once my car was parked in a lot and I came back and it wouldn't start(fuel pump) and while I was waiting for the tow truck within ~10 minutes the old lady parked on my passenger side opened her door into my car while getting in her car and after she left an old guy pulled in an slammed his door into my car as he was getting out. I got out and said "that was a pretty good whack!" he just looked bewildered that someone was in the car and gave me this look like "Well I'm old". I don't know how but I didn't see any damage so I let it go.

frizz
10-26-2012, 10:48
Dibs on parking spaces is malarkey. Barring a stupid, illegal, or dangerous maneuver, wheels in wins...

series1811
10-26-2012, 10:49
http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/02_19/parkingspot.jpg

I was waiting for this. :supergrin:

series1811
10-26-2012, 10:52
I usually park at the end of all the parked cars and just walk, watching all the fatasses who drive by me ten times looking for a place close enough to park to keep from burning any calories off by accident.

eruby
10-26-2012, 10:57
I usually park at the end of all the parked cars and just walk, watching all the fatasses who drive by me ten times looking for a place close enough to park to keep from burning any calories off by accident.This x 999999

BigMoneyGrip
10-26-2012, 12:16
Our parking lot is one way. I get pissed when I have to wait for someone to back in. It usually takes several tries for them to get it like they want it. Then, it still ain't straight. Why can't they just pull in like everybody else?

Adjuster
10-26-2012, 12:40
In Florida it is illegal to back into a public parking space for instance Walmart or the grocery store or mall etc.. I am not sure how this applies to something like a private office building or your place of employment say at a manufacturing plant. I am guessing this law is standard for any state that only requires one license plate.

/

Steve0853
10-26-2012, 13:20
I usually park at the end of all the parked cars and just walk, watching all the fatasses who drive by me ten times looking for a place close enough to park to keep from burning any calories off by accident.

You won't have to watch long before one of 'em comes back out and loads an exercise bike or elliptical machine.

sputnik767
10-26-2012, 13:24
You won't have to watch long before one of 'em comes back out and loads an exercise bike or elliptical machine.

If I saw that, it would be the first time. Sorry, you're more likely to see them loading a case of Bud than exercise equipment.

Rabbi
10-26-2012, 13:32

I pull in a place, and generally park at the end of the row. Not the first open spot at the end of parked cars, but often at the end of the row.

No one will ever park next to me and I never seem to have problems in a parking lot. It makes life more peaceful.

G36's Rule
10-26-2012, 13:43

/

You have to drive past it to back into it.

MannyA
10-26-2012, 13:55
I ask them if they see that big scratch along the drivers side?
If you don't now you will when you come out. Then I proceed peacefully to another spot. I would never do this but it it messes with their head.:tongueout:

Z71bill
10-26-2012, 13:59
I was about to leave a parking spot the other day - put it in "R" and some idiot in a pickup pulls up behind me and stops.

I thought he was letting someone out of the truck - he just sat there for like 10 seconds.

I figure WTH is this idiot doing - then he starts to try and back into the spot next to me - took him 3 tries to get 70% in the spot - so I figure it is safe to leave -so I back out - then he tries to pull back out to try one more time to get it straight - by then I have backed out and am starting to leave -

So after I waited for him to get out of the way - and to back in and out of the spot next to me 3 times - he had to stop and wait for me to drive past him - maybe a 1.5 second delay.

He honked his horn and flipped me the bird. :rofl:

----------------

I was at HEB the other day - lot is mostly full - I find a spot way in the back - no biggie I can use the exercise.

As I am walking towards the store - I see car waiting for someone to back out of a spot - pulls in and parks - just then a person with a cart full of groceries stops at a car 2 spots closer to the store -I am close enough by then to see the driver - a fat lady - throw it in reverse - back out of the spot she is already in and wait for the person to unload their cart & leave so she can get the spot 20 feet closer.:upeyes:

G23Gen4TX
10-26-2012, 14:11
LOL. I should start a "fight for parking" class by sending everyone to try and park in Tel-Aviv, Israel.

series1811
10-26-2012, 14:14
LOL. I should start a "fight for parking" class by sending everyone to try and park in Tel-Aviv, Israel.

I remember the first rule of driving in Tel Aviv. You are not allowed to put the car in drive until you have a cell phone in your ear. :supergrin:

VC-Racing
10-26-2012, 15:08
I drive a 4 door F350. Its 22ft long. I back into perpendicular parking spots, because half the jack-wagons that pull in can't keep it in the lines.

airmotive
10-26-2012, 15:36
I think a lot (a LOT) of people see a good parking space at Wal-Mart as some sort of status symbol. Not really sure of the thought process that's going on in their brain pan, but that's always been my take on it.

Anyone have a link to that ESPN SportsCenter commercial where Dan Patrick is standing in the parking lot of ESPN headquarters watching an IndyCar get towed out of his personal parking space...when the IndyCar driver runs out to protest. Dan Patrick points to the sign in front of his parking space...it reads, "D. Patrick".

Danica Patrick gives him a very dirty look.

to add:
http://youtu.be/vGtPAC9UOgg

Louisville Glocker
10-26-2012, 16:03
Childhood memory (I was maybe 4 or 5). Museum of Science and Industry parking lot in Chicago. Some guy tries to snag a parking spot from my dad. (my dad had been waiting as another car pulled out - it was crowded). My dad is a big guy (well, about 6'2" 200 pouinds), and he jumped out and yelled at the guy. Other guy left. After leaving the museum, one of our side windows (the little triangular ones) was broken.

Sometimes best to just let it go. But still proud of my dad for standing up to an *******.

mr00jimbo
10-26-2012, 16:26

/

Signal on, reverse lights on, swinging in. It's a tight lot, so if you swing in nose first and somebody in a big truck parks in the spot behind you it's very difficult to get out. Also here, where it rains a lot it's often difficult to back out in a high foot traffic area because your view is very obstructed.
I back into every spot, unless I have ample room to back out and it's a clear day.

wingryder
10-26-2012, 16:35
I don't get the backing into a parking spot anyway? What is the advantage? It is more difficult to BACK into a tight space than to back OUT of one. Everyone in Baltimore did that and many of them parked all jacked up. I never got that.

Z71bill
10-26-2012, 16:40
Back when I drove an Xcab 4x4 - if I had the chance - two open spots facing each other - I would pull though - so I could just drive out.

Never bothered with backing it in unless the lane was so narrow I didn't have much choice - you can actually back in to places that are just about impossible to drive into.

Some can back in -- in about the time it takes to drive in - I have no problem with these drivers.

But if you need to back in - pull ahead - back in pull ahead several times - while others wait for you to park - get a different truck - maybe a regular cab Ranger instead of an F-350 4x4 crew cab long bed - or learn to drive - or just pull into a spot and park the darn thing.

cgwahl
10-26-2012, 16:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdTVDrVPNEI

wingryder
10-26-2012, 16:58
Some can back in -- in about the time it takes to drive in - I have no problem with these drivers.

I have never seen one person that could pull up, and back up as fast as a pull in. Not saying it doesn't happen, just sayin' I have never seen it personally.

Z71bill
10-26-2012, 21:16
I have never seen one person that could pull up, and back up as fast as a pull in. Not saying it doesn't happen, just sayin' I have never seen it personally.

Key word is "ABOUT"

a couple seconds more - no big deal :wavey:

KCCAD
10-26-2012, 23:07
I prefer to parallel park.....

Parking the car - YouTube

jp3975
10-26-2012, 23:21

This thread inspired me to post the picture that I snapped while going into the grocery store the one day.

EXACTLY what I was saying happened to me.

Amazing that someone else did it too.

SevenSixtyTwo
10-27-2012, 07:04
I usually park my bone stock, not lifted or adorned with stickers, 4x2 quiet gas powered F250 out beyond the tight spots. But if no one is behind me and a spot is open, it's far easier to back in than to pull in. The F250 has a wide turning radius and steering from the rear while in reverse like a forklift is easier than steering from the front like a city bus moving forward. However, if I pass a spot and some pawg in a little car takes the spot, it's rightfully hers. Exercise is good for your heart. Patience is even better for it. If that's all it takes to ruin your day, you really should cut back on the caffeine. That stuff makes people crabby.

Z71bill
10-27-2012, 07:34
Worse than the - take their time and back it in while others wait types --

What is the deal with needing to swing out into the left (or middle) lane to make a right turn?

I can see having no choice if you are driving a long bed crew cab pulling a 30 foot goose neck trailer - but I see normal size pick ups and plain old cars doing this all the time.

If you can't turn a "normal" corner in a pick up truck without hitting your back tire on the curb - unless you swing out wide - then maybe you shouldn't be driving.

Dennis in MA
10-27-2012, 08:00

Was she wearing her hat?

Open carry would have prevented this.

The one that still kills me is people killing each other for a close spot - at the gym. Lol

selogic
10-28-2012, 10:02
So you purposely slammed your truck into his vehicle , hard enough to total it ? Even if that were true , you should have been charged with a felony . Maybe a couple . Private property or not . But it sounds cool ...:rofl:

Hef
10-28-2012, 10:30
So you purposely slammed your truck into his vehicle , hard enough to total it ? Even if that were true , you should have been charged with a felony . Maybe a couple . Private property or not . But it sounds cool ...:rofl:

The parking area was a row of spaces directly in front of the building, perpendicular to the road. A 30' wide strip of asphalt is all that separated the parking from the road. The building was on the west side of the road.

I came from the north, saw the spot, looped left in front of it and put it in reverse. I was about 20' from the spot.

As I am backing in, a moron in his Camry came racing in from the South, crossing the road in an attempt to squeeze between my truck and adjacent car to take the spot.

It didn't work out for him.

I wasn't "charged with a felony" because I didn't commit a felony. I backed into a parking space, and I did so legally.

michael e
10-28-2012, 10:37
At work we have our spots. And I am the 2nd person to get in.
Anywhere else I park at back of lot away from everyone , so I don't have these issues.

RayB
10-28-2012, 12:11
I once promoted a salesman to a management position, and on his first day in, he took what he knew to be my parking place. :steamed:

Two years later, I had to fire the treacherous little bastard for leaking proprietary information to a competitor. :wavey:

He was a sharp, effective, opportunistic little A-hole, and a complete POS as a human being. But that's just my opinion. :dunno:

--Ray

guanoman
10-28-2012, 18:37
I was going to a Dr's appointment years ago. It was raining. I pulled into the last parking spot in the lot and got out of the car. Some guy starts yelling at me that that was HIS parking spot. In retrospect, I shouldn't have told him, 'Oh yeah, I don't see your name on it, pal.' So I go off to my appointment. I almost get to the door and am only thinking about the appointment I'm about to go into, when I get tackled by this jerk. I'm thinking, 'WTH?!' I figure out what's going on, proceed to leave this guy in a bloody pile on the pavement outside and go into the Dr' office - wet, peeved and in a slight adrenaline dump. Doc sees me and says, 'You seem a bit stressed out' and tries to give me a script for Prozac. I told him no thanks. In the back of my mind, I'm worried A) the cops will be in any moment to take me to jail and B) this guy knows what I drive and where I parked. The Doc kept trying to shove Prozac my way, but I kept insisting NO. Well, to make a long story short, I walked out of the Docs office, no cops, nothing wrong with my car, the little bit of blood on the pavement was starting to wash away from the rain AND I got a script for Prozac - that I never filled.

Perhaps not my best moment in life. Now, I'm like the Rabbi, I park out in the back 40 where nobody goes and I'm fine.

SevenSixtyTwo
10-28-2012, 18:46

Reminded me of this scene in Fried Green Tomatoes.:supergrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx0z9FjxP-Y

Hef
10-28-2012, 19:12
Reminded me of this scene in Fried Green Tomatoes.:supergrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx0z9FjxP-Y

It wasn't quite like that, but that was hilarious.

Sporaticus
10-28-2012, 19:12

I was hoping someone would get to that. If you want the spot, by all means, pull in when you see it.